• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Dahbomb

At that range I'm not sure it matters. We're only talking about low gunshot.

But again, I'm certainly not married to the idea.
The property would have to apply to all this gun shots though. I don't know if you can make an exception for just his Low gun shot.

I like that suggestion of keeping the glasses at the "mid point" constantly in terms of buff. This allows Wesker to some what compensate for the 20% health buff as well while still not being much more damaging than before.

Horseress

Wesker

*Return invincibility of Rhino Charge from Vanilla. Scaling remains the same.
*Phantom Dance no longer crosses up
*Active frames on all counters increased
*Glasses mechanic reworked or removed (looking for suggestions on this
)

The Glasses mechanic should be removed, it's so dumb, and I don't think he needs it, more speed and more damage are not something he needs improviment IMO.
Also, his S has too many active frames, it's too hard to punish don't you guys think?
About his counters, aside the active frames buff, the projectile one should be buffed, his range should be bigger and the distance he travels when it hits too

Hawkeye

*Cr.M always connects after Cr.L
This, SO MUCH THIS! Also, I feel like his damage is too iffy, he could use a damage boost

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The property would have to apply to all this gun shots though. I don't know if you can make an exception for just his Low gun shot.

I like that suggestion of keeping the glasses at the "mid point" constantly in terms of buff. This allows Wesker to some what compensate for the 20% health buff as well while still not being much more damaging than before.

I'm not so sure. His low gunshot is a separate move. It's not like any of his other shots OTG, even if you perform a downward samurai edge from the air, and it connects with a downed body, it doesn't OTG. I think it can have separate properties. Just something to think about.

I could also see keeping the midpoint for damage and the "no glasses" speed. That would still give him the options of "no glasses only" combos. Damage-wise, I think he can definitely stay in the middle.

The Glasses mechanic should be removed, it's so dumb, and I don't think he needs it, more speed and more damage are not something he needs improviment IMO.
Also, his S has too many active frames, it's too hard to punish don't you guys think?
About his counters, aside the active frames buff, the projectile one should be buffed, his range should be bigger and the distance he travels when it hits too

I agree with the increased distance for the projectile counter. It should be practical and more reliable as a counter.

And I have no problem with giving his S more recovery, but not fewer active frames. Most characters' S have stupidly long active frames. I don't think Wesker's should change. Maybe make it -5 on block or something?

Frantic

Make airborne Samurai Edge OTG!

Anyways, my old Arthur changes with some tweaks:

+ All ground normals are two frames faster
+ Gold Armor break causes a soft-knockdown
+ Cross Sword special cancelable. Projectile remains if Arthur gets hit. Now usable in the air.
+ Lance Charge startup reduced to 16 frames. While in Gold Armor it is reduced further to 12 frames.
+ Increased hitstun/blockstun on j.S by three frames, making it +12 on hit, +10 on block.
+ Shield Deflect now counters high, mid and low attacks. Startup changed to 3 frames(from 5).

I also feel like he needs ground dashes, but that'd probably require some animation work... or they could take the H&H airdash animation and call it a day.

Dahbomb

I don't see why they can't give Arthur at least Zero's back dash and forward run.

"Oh noes da nostalgia"

The forward run could just be a sped up walk animation. Would look goofy as hell but as long as it gets the job done.

I think FGTV experimented with an air dash on Arthur and it looked kinda.. too good.

Horseress

I could also see keeping the midpoint for damage and the "no glasses" speed. That would still give him the options of "no glasses only" combos. Damage-wise, I think he can definitely stay in the middle.
Works for me

I agree with the increased distance for the projectile counter. It should be practical and more reliable as a counter.
And I have no problem with giving his S more recovery, but not fewer active frames. Most characters' S have stupidly long active frames. I don't think Wesker's should change. Maybe make it -5 on block or something?
Yeah, that would be great

Frantic

I think FGTV experimented with an air dash on Arthur and it looked kinda.. too good.
Airdash Arthur is kinda dumb. I just meant they could take the airdash animations of H&H(since they're unique to Arthur) and just slap them on as a ground dash. They wouldn't look that out of place, and they wouldn't have to do any real animation work.

Dahbomb

Honestly aside from Arthur, the other 3 don't really need a lot of changes.

Arthur would probably get 10 buffs and we would still be trying to squeeze in more.

vg260

What was the original intent of the Wesker glasses mechanic? Was there ever a good justification other than the need to simply give him something so people wouldn't complain?

Frantic

Honestly aside from Arthur, the other 3 don't really need a lot of changes.

Arthur would probably get 10 buffs and we would still be trying to squeeze in more.
Let's just take the slots the other characters don't use and give them to Arthur. Put those empty spaces to good use!

Ghazi

Reduce Wesker health to 500k, if you have 3+ bars of meter when he dies he becomes broken glasses and is back to full health again with better buffs than what OG broken glasses gave.

#NewPhoenix

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
What was the original intent of the Wesker glasses mechanic? Was there ever a good justification other than the need to simply give him something so people wouldn't complain?

There's no Resident Evil justification for it, and there's no in-game justification for it... other than he gets pissed off and levels up when he takes damage or something.

I'm sure they just wanted to give him an arbitrary mechanic tied to the glasses because they already put in work by giving him different "glasses" states.

Dahbomb

When I first read it I thought it was that you were rewarded for not using your meter... because Wesker is supposed to be a reset heavy character with bad LVL1s for damage. So when you used Phantom Dance it actually decreased your damage.

Turns out it was the exact opposite and even to this day it still makes no sense. Just rewards people for doing a random hyper at the beginning of the match.

I actually think it was supposed to be a nerf to Wesker + Phoenix... basically a nerf directed at Viscant. If not then I have to imagine it was meant to be a way to limit the duo.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
When I first read it I thought it was that you were rewarded for not using your meter... because Wesker is supposed to be a reset heavy character with bad LVL1s for damage. So when you used Phantom Dance it actually decreased your damage.

This is exactly what I thought when it was announced.

vg260

Turns out it was the exact opposite and even to this day it still makes no sense. Just rewards people for doing a random hyper at the beginning of the match.

I actually think it was supposed to be a nerf to Wesker + Phoenix... basically a nerf directed at Viscant. If not then I have to imagine it was meant to be a way to limit the duo.

Hm, why not just remove it in these balance changes you're proposing? It sounds like it really lacks any justification for being added.

Dahbomb

Hm, why not just remove it in these balance changes you're proposing?
I am totally for it. Only problem is that sped up Wesker led to some cool shit like new combos and stuff. I think the best proposal is to give him the full speed boost but like the mid way damage point (cracked glasses boost) as the permanent buff... no need to use hyper that's just how he comes in as.

So basically just a flat 10% damage and speed boost all the time.

TWILT

Banned
Can we keep the speed boost from the glasses off Wesker? I love some of the really cool Wesker combo stuff he can get out of it. =P

Damage buff can go though.

I am totally for it. Only problem is that sped up Wesker led to some cool shit like new combos and stuff. I think the best proposal is to give him the full speed boost but like the mid way damage point (cracked glasses boost) as the permanent buff... no need to use hyper that's just how he comes in as.

So basically just a flat 10% damage and speed boost all the time.

Yes. Very good.

Dahbomb purposefully holding off on all the characters I care about.

Arthur:
*j.S horizontal hitbox increased slightly; hitstun increased.
*When Gold Armor is on, the input for Gold Armor refreshes the duration.
*Crossbow (Gold Armor) tracking improved slightly.
*Cross Sword is now special-cancelable; air OK.
*Walk speed increased.
*f.H now 10 frames startup and has 1 hit of super armor from frames 1-15.
*Arthur now recovers from air and ground throws with enough time to get a full combo from them.
*Startup on normals decreased by 2 frames across the board.
*Shield Deflect now counters low, mid, and high attacks; startup reduced to 3 frames.

Assists: Dagger Toss, Crossbow, Ax Toss

Hawkeye:
*Gimlet hitstun increased; it is now always safe on hit.
*Trick Shot (Violent Fuzz) assist startup time reduced to 37 frames.
*f.M special cancelable.
*Hawkeye now has enough time to OTG opponents after Tag Team Special.
*c.M now always connects after c.L.

Assists: Quick Shot (Greyhound), Trick Shot (Violet Fuzz), Ragtime Shot (Balalaika)

Hulk:
*Ground dash now attack and crouch cancelable.
*Minimum damage scaling on normal and special attacks reduced to 20%.
*Gamma Quake is now throw invincible.

Assists: Gamma Wave H, Gamma Charge H (AA), Gamma Charge H

Wesker:
*Rhino Charge returned to Vanilla status.
*Phantom Dance may no longer cross up.
*Launcher changed to -4 on block.
*Improved counters (specifics?).
*Glasses change?

Assists: Samurai Edge (Lower Shot), Samurai Edge (Horizontal Fire), Jaguar Dash + Kick

I don't see why they can't give Arthur at least Zero's back dash and forward run.

"Oh noes da nostalgia"

The forward run could just be a sped up walk animation. Would look goofy as hell but as long as it gets the job done.

No new animations. :p

The change was listed as you interpreted; must have been a mistranslation when we got it.

I don't support more tracking on Gimlet.

Can we keep the speed boost from the glasses off Wesker? I love some of the really cool Wesker combo stuff he can get out of it. =P

Damage buff can go though.
I'm against nerfing the glasses buff in any way. I know everyone raged about it when it was first introduced, but it has led to interesting things and adds more thoughtfulness to the character.

vg260

I'm against nerfing the glasses buff in any way. I know everyone raged about it when it was first introduced, but it has led to interesting things and adds more thoughtfulness to the character.

Where's the risk in throwing out a random super to get a speed and damage boost? Shouldn't there be something?

smurfx

get some go again
hawkeye

you should have an option as to where jack rose lands after shooting it. press back and it lands right in front of you.

gimlet needs better tracking and slightly higher durability. i think it also needs to do 100-120k minimum after a dhc or at the end of a combo. if you use poison tip then it can stay at 75k.

slightly reduce the HSD on his regular moves

hunter should always bring your enemy to the ground no matter where you shot it from. obviously the more HSD you built the faster the character will pop out of it after landing.

vg260

It's punishable on block, and you need to create the space for it.

I dunno. This doesn't seem like much risk. If the boost is that significant enough to want to keep it in, this doesn't really feel like it's asking enough to earn it.

How hard is it to punish with most characters? (It' been ages since I've played).

onionfrog

You guys have been posting such good and well thought out changes that I haven't really had anything to add up to this point.

I do agree with the idea of only keeping the speed boost for no-glasses wesker and getting rid of the damage boost.

I think Hawkeye is a pretty fair character, and the changes listed for him seem good. He doesn't need any big changes.

No hard knockdown on Arthur's Gold Armor was one of my biggest concerns. I'm glad to see that it has been addressed.

I'm not sure if Hulk needs his damage scaling nerfed though...

I-hate-u

I don't think that they can make Phantom Dance not cross up. The idea is that Wesker is moving so fast that the screen can not keep up with him. Also its going to cross up depending on where Wesker starts the hyper.

I am a Wesker player and to be honest the only thing he needs is Rhino Charge back. At least then he can fight Wolverine and Spencer. Keep his S and keep his counters the same.

Hawkeye changes that are listed are very fair.

Dahbomb

The change was listed as you interpreted; must have been a mistranslation when we got it.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2011/...ins-how-weskers-broken-sunglasses-work-umvc3/

The sunglasses will regenerate when Wesker does any of his Hyper Combos now.
That's what I read first where I came to the conclusion. Obviously a mistranslation or a miscommunication of facts by S Kill.

Dahbomb purposefully holding off on all the characters I care about.
What you don't care about Arthur? :p Next set will have one of your characters.

*Ground dash now attack and crouch cancelable.
How would that actually work? He just hops forward... I guess you can make it cancelable as soon as is he completes the jump otherwise this would look weird.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

I respectfully disagree. I don't think the glasses mechanic has added anything to Wesker except for:

1. Unknown throwing it out at the start of the match
2. Ending combos prematurely with a hyper to get glasses off for the incoming

I don't find either of those particularly interesting.

Dahbomb

There isn't anything interesting about the glasses buff and all it has led to is dumber Wesker play all around. The only thing interesting about it is the speed boost and Wesker can have it by default.

*f.M special cancelable.
The reason I was hesitant to list this was due to potential infinites. Stuff like hard knockdown f + M into Capture arrow, slide, launch, j.H, j.S, f+M etc. This needs more considerable because it's a pretty big change on him.

I-hate-u

I respectfully disagree. I don't think the glasses mechanic has added anything to Wesker except for:

His palm combos are pretty cool.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
His palm combos are pretty cool.

The speedboost is something separate from the glasses mechanic, and I've already said that I think that should simply be a permanent change to him.

I like "no glasses" combos, too, and I'm a Wesker player. I think the speed boost should stay because they allow more freedom, but don't really make it much harder to defend against him.

Dahbomb

Guys.... what if Hawkeye could do his flip moves off of the wall?

Yo that would be boss as hell. Would allow him to get out of bad situations and would dead with his poor air mobility without giving some generic air dash/double jump.

FSLink

Banned
Guys.... what if Hawkeye could do his flip moves off of the wall?

Yo that would be boss as hell. Would allow him to get out of bad situations and would dead with his poor air mobility without giving some generic air dash/double jump.

Yes please.

Just had an awesome moment online against a 5 bar Phoenix/Doom. I had Wright/Spencer/Dante. I'll recreate what happened in a bit.

EDIT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6igueSefz0&feature=youtu.be

Just recreated it in Training Mode.

OBJECTION!!!
Clearly the phoenix isn't blocking after the animation, when in fact she can.
The player shows Phoenix running on a recording, if the player can show proof that the defendant can block and still be hit, then case close in favor of the plaintiff. If not I move for a miss trial.

Dahbomb

Actually I have a great idea.

QCB + L towards the wall and you can jump off of it. As soon as you reach the wall you can do QCB + H to leap forward off of the wall. If you don't do anything you just wall jump.

This allows Hawkeye to have some form of maneuverability in the corner. You can also use this for more angles of zoning.

You can also do this in reverse fashion. Like you can do QCB+H to go towards the forward wall and then do QCB+H to leap off of that wall. Useful for some mix ups.

There's no way I'm signing off on giving Wesker the glasses buff for free. :p If folks want to get rid of the damage buff, I'm okay with that.

hawkeye

you should have an option as to where jack rose lands after shooting it. press back and it lands right in front of you.

gimlet needs better tracking and slightly higher durability. i think it also needs to do 100-120k minimum after a dhc or at the end of a combo. if you use poison tip then it can stay at 75k.

slightly reduce the HSD on his regular moves

hunter should always bring your enemy to the ground no matter where you shot it from. obviously the more HSD you built the faster the character will pop out of it after landing.
I love the jack rose change, but he can already relaunch twice solo - I don't see how a HSD buff is needed. We could look at his hyper damage minimums....

Hawkeye / 10 / 15 / 30

Maybe that should get buffed to 40% or 50%?

You shouldn't be able to duck Gimlet. Even if it's a rare occurrence.
It's a punish move. You still have to use your brain when you do it.

I don't think Hulk really needs any changes he's pretty balanced as a heavy character. I do agree with the ground dash change though.
I think we need to look at his command grab. Slow startup, small hitbox, and no post-grab combo? That needs to change.

I dunno. This doesn't seem like much risk. If the boost is that significant enough to want to keep it in, this doesn't really feel like it's asking enough to earn it.

How hard is it to punish with most characters? (It' been ages since I've played).
IDK, all of my characters are good at punishing.

You guys have been posting such good and well thought out changes that I haven't really had anything to add up to this point.

I do agree with the idea of only keeping the speed boost for no-glasses wesker and getting rid of the damage boost.

I think Hawkeye is a pretty fair character, and the changes listed for him seem good. He doesn't need any big changes.

No hard knockdown on Arthur's Gold Armor was one of my biggest concerns. I'm glad to see that it has been addressed.

I'm not sure if Hulk needs his damage scaling nerfed though...
Thanks! And Hulk needs the slight damage nerf because he does ~1 million per combo, and we want to make ToD stuff less prevalent.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2011/...ins-how-weskers-broken-sunglasses-work-umvc3/

That's what I read first where I came to the conclusion. Obviously a mistranslation or a miscommunication of facts by S Kill.
Yep.

What you don't care about Arthur? :p Next set will have one of your characters.
Don't think that you putting Iron Man and Vergil together went unnoticed! :p

How would that actually work? He just hops forward... I guess you can make it cancelable as soon as is he completes the jump otherwise this would look weird.
I doubt it would look that weird. Storm and Magneto float until they do crouching attacks and no one cares.

There isn't anything interesting about the glasses buff and all it has led to is dumber Wesker play all around. The only thing interesting about it is the speed boost and Wesker can have it by default.

The reason I was hesitant to list this was due to potential infinites. Stuff like hard knockdown f + M into Capture arrow, slide, launch, j.H, j.S, f+M etc. This needs more considerable because it's a pretty big change on him.
The glasses buff leads people to decide whether to go for a reset or get the buff. It's an interesting decision. It also opens up new combos.

Actually I have a great idea.

QCB + L towards the wall and you can jump off of it. As soon as you reach the wall you can do QCB + H to leap forward off of the wall. If you don't do anything you just wall jump.

This allows Hawkeye to have some form of maneuverability in the corner. You can also use this for more angles of zoning.

You can also do this in reverse fashion. Like you can do QCB+H to go towards the forward wall and then do QCB+H to leap off of that wall. Useful for some mix ups.
Why not just make his flips air OK? This will take new animations.

I-hate-u

The speedboost is something separate from the glasses mechanic, and I've already said that I think that should simply be a permanent change to him.

I like "no glasses" combos, too, and I'm a Wesker player. I think the speed boost should stay because they allow more freedom, but don't really make it much harder to defend against him.

I thought that he gains a damage and speed boost when the glasses crack or break.

Dahbomb

The glasses buff leads people to decide whether to go for a reset or get the buff. It's an interesting decision. It also opens up new combos.
THEY DON'T!!! They always try to kill if they can or they go for a reset/TAC if they can't. There is absolutely no thought involved in this. Most of the time people just throw out the hyper willy nilly, get the traded/stuffed out but still activate the buff.

As far as opening up new combos go, we have decided to just give him the speed bonus by default. Keeps his interesting combos. You can get rid of the damage buff for all I care.

Why not just make his flips air OK? This will take new animations.
Why would it take new animation? It's just using a wall jump.

But fine make it air OK.

And yeah buff his hyper scaling to 40% at least. 30% is fucking shit and he definitely needs a damage boost somewhere.

I-hate-u

THEY DON'T!!! They always try to kill if they can or they go for a reset/TAC if they can't. There is absolutely no thought involved in this. Most of the time people just throw out the hyper willy nilly, get the traded/stuffed out but still activate the buff.

As far as opening up new combos go, we have decided to just give him the speed bonus by default. Keeps his interesting combos.

Giving him the speed boost for free is too much. Even without the damage boost he would do more damage from the specials he can do in a combo.

FSLink

Banned
OBJECTION!!!
Clearly the phoenix isn't blocking after the animation, when in fact she can.
The player shows Phoenix running on a recording, if the player can show proof that the defendant can block and still be hit, then case close in favor of the plaintiff. If not I move for a miss trial.

Tried it with recording blocking back, and only playing it after Wright does his super. Seems to work still but I have to DHC right away after the Dark Phoenix animation. I'll keep testing. Should be able to still beat it with X-Factor command grab with Spencer though right?

Dahbomb

Giving him the speed boost for free is too much. Even without the damage boost he would do more damage from the specials he can do in a combo.
The speed boost isn't even that much, it's 10%. It just improves his combos mostly, it's not like he comes impossible to block or something. Wesker doesn't even do that much damage and there will be a 20% health buff... this practically balances by itself.

I think we need to look at his command grab. Slow startup, small hitbox, and no post-grab combo? That needs to change.
The best you can do is revert the changes back to what they were on day 1 Ultimate. Hulk actually got a nerf to his command throw, they reduced the distance on his throws.

Hulk even at 20% is going to do massive damage off of even command throws.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The speed boost isn't even that much, it's 10%. It just improves his combos mostly, it's not like he comes impossible to block or something. Wesker doesn't even do that much damage and there will be a 20% health buff... this practically balances by itself.

And in the current meta, Wesker doesn't even do that much damage anymore.

Wesker does 516,900 damage meterless with an unoptimized combo.

And in the current meta, Wesker doesn't even do that much damage anymore.
But we are nerfing that meta.

As far as opening up new combos go, we have decided to just give him the speed bonus by default. Keeps his interesting combos. You can get rid of the damage buff for all I care.
No free speed buff for Wesker.

Why would it take new animation? It's just using a wall jump.

But fine make it air OK.

And yeah buff his hyper scaling to 40% at least. 30% is fucking shit and he definitely needs a damage boost somewhere.
Does he have a wall jump animation?

What's the point of giving a 20% health buff and then increasing Wesker's damage for free? -_-

The best you can do is revert the changes back to what they were on day 1 Ultimate. Hulk actually got a nerf to his command throw, they reduced the distance on his throws.

Hulk even at 20% is going to do massive damage off of even command throws.
He needs an OTG assist, though.

Top Bottom