• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Azure J

GGs Frantic, somewhere along the way I started to pick up my groove although not to the extent that I wanted to. It's strange, ever since like the middle of last week I've felt myself playing off but don't know what it is that's gotten to me. Go figure.

Re: Buttons during pressure

Most definitely mistimed pushblocks. No worries here, I just have to adjust to pushblocking every other attack or ones that'll shift your momentum more.

And now random notes:

- I like how you used my Day 1 team better than I did. Hitting me with the Dante/Felicia unblockable under Acid Rain cover in the corner is the filthiest thing I've seen happen to myself in the game.

- We seem to be on two different sides of Dante nowadays. Where I'm trying to run away and force a game of tag, you're on that ass almost instantly. I almost can't understand how Dante can do all that sometimes.

- Strider is almost the same way although I feel like I just need to use Wall Cling more often. I keep thinking you can get instant jump grabbed out of its startup in a blockstring so I always try to end with a Form B summon/shot. I also really really really need to use his c.L more. I was also sad that a ton of my tick throws were off.

- I got so hype when I hit you with the reset I've been working on, I dropped the followup combo completely. :lol

Reverb cross under from a Volcano pickup into Vajra assist. That was just wonderful to behold.

- I feel like I'm doing better with Viper zoning, but I have to ask (and this is a thing for the thread at large), is it better to use Seismo zoning perceptively (hitting choice zones where assists or character movements will appear/end) or offensively (shutting down everything in front of yourself)?

One interesting thing I've been working on for a bit is Kara Laser where I'll move forward whiffing H while closing the gaps with Laser. I don't know if it's viable, but the negative edge for that move totally gets easier doing it.

- I think I might steal your Acid Rain midscreen combo. Emulating it in training mode over here has me getting ideas that I haven't had for midscreen stuff in ages.

- Your Trish is insaaaaane. I mean, I'm already free to tridashing, but damn. And then all dem infinites.

onionfrog

Even when you're already on the defensive, I notice that you get caught by Strider's c.L mashing a lot. Part of it might be that you have a very strong tendency to up-back when you are offensively overwhelmed, which I often take advantage of with Strider and Ghost Rider.
I've definitely got some bad habits that I need to unlearn. My defense needs a lot of work.

The daggers! When powered up, maybe the best assist in the game?
They are really good, they kept me from landing quite a few happy birthdays, and surprisingly good both offensively and defensively.

Your Felicia is getting very impressive! I think it's a contender for the best I've faced, though I think you are overreliant on Delta Kick. The slant shot reset is good, but you need to figure out an instant overhead setup or something with Felicia. Right now, now that I know it's coming, I'm going to mash out b.H for a throw or mash out Penance Stare.
Thanks karst, I feel like she really holds the team together. Especially when I was using RR, if I was stuck with just him the game was already over for the most part. Yeah I am overreliant on delta kick, I'll have to work on varying my approach. I should figure some more setups with slant shot, and overheads and such in general.

Definitely better than Sentinel, but I don't think Hawkeye gives Thor the support he needs. He needs horizontal assist that provides a lot of hitstun, like Gun Fire, Dagger Toss, or Unibeam.
I'll keep this in mind, I mainly stuck with hawkeye for comforts sake. I'm not any good with Arthur or Chris, and ironman is ironman lol.

You did it pretty consistently. Are you on pad or stick?
I play on a pad. Just a regular Dualshock 3.

Your Strange was clearly a struggle for you to play. Bolts of Balthakk is very good but Strange is very vulnerable.
I don't think I'll bother to try to learn him really, the assist is out for way too long, he doesn't fit my playstyle, and I think I prefer RR's spitfire assist anyway.

Haha, I was loving every match. Except for when I would drop the Strider extension on Ghost Rider's combo and get happy birthday'd...not jovial about those.
I'd be lying if I said I didn't get frustrated playing against that team, but I did have a great time today! I would've liked to play as thor more, but he wasnt a good choice against that team.

Also, I should be available the same time most Sundays if you want to start running these long sets fairly regularly. :)

Frantic

GGs Frantic, somewhere along the way I started to pick up my groove although not to the extent that I wanted to. It's strange, ever since like the middle of last week I've felt myself playing off but don't know what it is that's gotten to me. Go figure.
This is how I am all the time. Some days, I will go undefeated against everyone I play against. Other days(most days), I'm just 'good'... then there are some days(I had this a few days ago) where I'm straight up ass. Consistency is not my strong point.

- I like how you used my Day 1 team better than I did. Hitting me with the Dante/Felicia unblockable under Acid Rain cover in the corner is the filthiest thing I've seen happen to myself in the game.
Haha, I actually mistimed that unblockable a bit, but yeah it's really, really dumb/good. I was also having issues playing Felicia. I don't play her very often, so I dropped everything. Fun character, though. Should consider playing her more.

- We seem to be on two different sides of Dante nowadays. Where I'm trying to run away and force a game of tag, you're on that ass almost instantly. I almost can't understand how Dante can do all that sometimes.
Haha, I kind of notice that, though I do zone a lot against characters like Wolverine, Haggar, Spencer and the 'in-your-face' types.

- Strider is almost the same way although I feel like I just need to use Wall Cling more often. I keep thinking you can get instant jump grabbed out of its startup in a blockstring so I always try to end with a Form B summon/shot. I also really really really need to use his c.L more. I was also sad that a ton of my tick throws were off.
You can grab him out of it, but it's hard as hell to do, especially online. It's why I still consider myself a fraud Strider, because I get away with a lot of punishable shit because of input delays. >_>

- I feel like I'm doing better with Viper zoning, but I have to ask (and this is a thing for the thread at large), is it better to use Seismo zoning perceptively (hitting choice zones where assists or character movements will appear/end) or offensively (shutting down everything in front of yourself)?
Not sure, really. I tend to have more trouble against Seismos when it's just being thrown out in front of yourself(usually switching between L and M Seismo), but that might just be me.

- I think I might steal your Acid Rain midscreen combo. Emulating it in training mode over here has me getting ideas that I haven't had for midscreen stuff in ages.
I've been going back to it recently, just because the Million Carats midscreen stuff is annoying online and I always end up dropping it.

- Your Trish is insaaaaane. I mean, I'm already free to tridashing, but damn. And then all dem infinites.
Haha, thanks. I've become quite proud of my Trish. She's really hard to block when she has a lockdown assist. Between tridash mixups and an instant overhead... I'm almost guaranteed to open someone up when I've got them locked down by something like Weasel Shot. I just wish she could convert off her airthrows(Capcom, make Hopscotch OTG plz), and I also wish she had a Stinger of her own, but either way, she's a really good character.

Also, online was making it really hard for me to setup the infinites. I can do it off all sides and even midscreen, but online throws that out the window. Still, landing it is surprisingly satisfying. Also makes every touch a ToD, which is kinda nice.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
A tenth of the way to OT4 already! Glad to see this active again, good stuff MahvelGAF!

*goes back to not contributing*

Hey Frantic, could you help me with some Strider tips? I can't seem to do anything other than the basic ABC combos and Cold Star ->Teleport mix ups :|

Frantic

Hey Frantic, could you help me with some Strider tips? I can't seem to do anything other than the basic ABC combos and Cold Star ->Teleport mix ups :|
I do pretty basic ABC combos, so as far as combos go I can't help too much. What are you looking for specifically?

Various tips I can think of include:
Keep Formation B active as much as possible.

Dash up with s.H > Formation B(Shot) is on par with Vergil's God Slash when it comes to range. The Formation B(Shot) is there for safe hit confirmation, or advantage on block.

Formation C is a great tool against incoming characters, since the birds will likely hit them as they come in, and the grounded explosions have an absurd hitbox + deceivingly long active frames(I've been hit by the explosion after the animation of the explosion is gone). Try to call two of them, and the first will drop to the ground while the second hits the incoming character. They'll leave blockstun by the time the first's explosion hits. Throw in a teleport/wall cling in between for a mixup.

If you've got them locked down by Cold Star, and they're stand blocking, go for an instant overhead j.L > Excalibur L.

Use Gram M and H for long distance poking(be sure to have Formation B ready to cancel it, though), or for punishing really unsafe stuff(like, bait a Lariat and then back off into a Gram H).

Formation B(Shot) beats all X-Factor guard cancels into a normal, Wall Cling beats all X-Factor guard cancels into a throw/command throw/invincible super.

If you're going for a Wall Cling mixup off a normal, don't use his dive kick. Go for the Ladder Kick(light button) canceled into an Excalibur L. It's easily comboable in almost every situation, and it's safe against chicken blocking.

Wall Cling ignores pushblock, so call an assist if they pushblock you and Wall Cling for a mixup.

You can dash up and s.L/cr.L up to three times, and still be in range for a ground throw so long as they don't pushblock. Gives him really strong tick throws and staggered lights.

There's probably more that I'm forgetting, but those are some main ones.

Frantic

GGs, Solar. I can't really talk much about your RR or Ammy since I don't play them, but your Strider is pretty good. Need to ensure Cold Star hits for mixups more by hitting characters with s.H while calling call Cold Star. You should also be calling Vajra more in the neutral. I saw you call Cold Star a lot, but Vajra is infinitely better in the neutral than Cold Star.

One thing you should stop doing is pushing buttons on incoming. It's very easy to punish that sort of thing, and you should only push buttons if you see someone whiff something or they mess up their setup.

Azure J

I foresee a longish break away from online matches and matches in general while I hammer some little things into the back of my head soon. Too many things I'm still doing wrong lag or not and not enough progress being made. Can't believe that I'm still free to Hawkeyes.

GGs I was waiting for you to post so I wouldn't have to dp

And really? I felt I was mostly mashing, specially in XF3.

I saw you call Cold Star a lot, but Vajra is infinitely better in the neutral than Cold Star.

Well, yeah, but I can't setup unblockables with Vajra. My lack of Vajra was mostly for fear of getting happy birthday'd though. If either Rocket or Strider gets caught in one of those as assists they're never getting out alive.

One thing I noticed was that if you got the first hit, you would usually beat the fucking hell out of me, but if Rocket got that hit, it'd be closer. Honestly though, I think we both know that if you had been running Dante on point in all matches I wouldn't have gotten a single win >.>

Frantic

GGs I was waiting for you to post so I wouldn't have to dp

And really? I felt I was mostly mashing, specially in XF3.
Well, I felt like I was mashing a lot with Strider myself. When he gets going, he can feel kinda mashy(or maybe that's just me). But I was mainly referring to your use of Strider's Gram and Formation B. I got caught by both a lot because you were using them well. You mainly need to go in that direction with good spacing and use of his tools, and then go nuts once you've hit someone or they block something. *shrug*

Well, yeah, but I can't setup unblockables with Vajra. My lack of Vajra was mostly for fear of getting happy birthday'd though. If either Rocket or Strider gets caught in one of those as assists they're never getting out alive.
True enough. That's one I realized when fighting your team and noticing Strider doing big chunks out of the life bars. 750/750/800 is a very fragile team.

I also don't know what RR can really do to protect Vajra. Dante has a lot of options thanks to good ranged normals, decently durable projectiles, and a teleport... but RR only really has the teleport.

One thing I noticed was that if you got the first hit, you would usually beat the fucking hell out of me, but if Rocket got that hit, it'd be closer. Honestly though, I think we both know that if you had been running Dante on point in all matches I wouldn't have gotten a single win >.>
Heh. If I get the first hit, I can usually auto-pilot my setups into victory. If I get hit, I never know when I'm able to start pushing buttons again and usually end up getting bopped because I'm thinking too much on when I can start my offense again instead of just blocking. I've been trying to work on that, but I'm not quite there yet.

I've definitely got some bad habits that I need to unlearn. My defense needs a lot of work.
Against anyone I play, sometimes I just sit there and block as long as I can. Normally, everyone is struggling to get that hit in. I like to see what happens if I just let someone go to town, and how good they are at messing with me. It really messes with someone's head when you block them for 10 straight seconds, too. Major morale killer.

They are really good, they kept me from landing quite a few happy birthdays, and surprisingly good both offensively and defensively.
<3 daggers!

Thanks karst, I feel like she really holds the team together. Especially when I was using RR, if I was stuck with just him the game was already over for the most part. Yeah I am overreliant on delta kick, I'll have to work on varying my approach. I should figure some more setups with slant shot, and overheads and such in general.
Check out some DJ Houshen matches from early Ultimate (I think it was his team). He's the best Felicia I've seen thus far.

I'll keep this in mind, I mainly stuck with hawkeye for comforts sake. I'm not any good with Arthur or Chris, and ironman is ironman lol.
Iron Man is respectable, but he's a lot like Ghost Rider. He thrives on consistency, proper spacing, and patience. He's not going to be messing with anyone's head. It's a slow crawl to victory.

I play on a pad. Just a regular Dualshock 3.
Maybe that's why the double-down tap motion is doable for you.../excuses.

I don't think I'll bother to try to learn him really, the assist is out for way too long, he doesn't fit my playstyle, and I think I prefer RR's spitfire assist anyway.
I think that's a wise decision.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't get frustrated playing against that team, but I did have a great time today! I would've liked to play as thor more, but he wasnt a good choice against that team.
If you ever want me to change teams or something, let me know. I'm cool with swapping the team order or swapping to another team altogether.

Also, I should be available the same time most Sundays if you want to start running these long sets fairly regularly. :)
I generally play while my wife is at work because me slamming the buttons down on the fightstick grates on her nerves, so I'm never able to set a consistent playtime. I like to play Fridays the most, though.

After toying with Dormammu, I don't think I want to use him after all. I did decide to try Joe/Deadpool/Akuma again though.
What made you change your mind? That new team looks pretty "meh".

Zissou

I've been thinking of trying out RR so I can experiment with log trap assist. What kind of assists benefit him? Also, does anyone know what kind of damage output I can expect WITHOUT his really execution-heavy stuff (boulder trap loops, etc.)?

I didn't like his synergy with Joe. Also his movement is pretty weird, but that's not really that big of an issue. As for the Akuma team, it's "meh" but I've never been one for flashiness.

I forgot to comment on this Frantic, but the time I pretty much had you locked down with (f+H->bear trap)xN I was just laughing my ass off XD Was it actually decent pressure or were you just to afraid to press buttons? :p

I've been thinking of trying out RR so I can experiment with log trap assist. What kind of assists benefit him? Also, does anyone know what kind of damage output I can expect WITHOUT his really execution-heavy stuff (boulder trap loops, etc.)?

If you want him on point, you're going to want something that let's him get in, and something that locks down so you can set unblockables. Without getting fancy, 400k~ is pretty much the most you're going to get for 1 bar.

whatever->S->j.M->j.S->[dp+L->c.H->S->j.M->j.S]->dp+M->dp+H->S->j.M->j.S->dp+MxxqcfAA is pretty much his BnB, with the part in brackets being corner only.

SolarKnight, or anyone else, do you guys have a link to the recent gameplay of that fantastic RR player? I think he was Canadian.

RR does best with a beam assist and a pinning assist. Basically, pair him with Doom/Amaterasu, haha.

I didn't like his synergy with Joe. Also his movement is pretty weird, but that's not really that big of an issue. As for the Akuma team, it's "meh" but I've never been one for flashiness.
I dig. I tell you, it was really weird picking up Vergil in Ultimate. I had to get used to this thing called a "ground dash", since my two mains effectively don't have them.

Zissou

Thanks for the RR responses. I was thinking of running him with either doom/dog or doom/strider. It sounds like the ammy team would be better since it was stated verbatim, but I was secretly hoping of running my doom/dante/strider team with dante subbed for rocket, so that doom could use log trap against certain hyper aggressive characters/teams. Seems like once doom dies, RR would be kind of hung out to dry though. Would RR get much off of vajra? Having gotten used to having strider anchor, I've fallen into the trap of seeing the entire game through the lens of 'don't
know what to do? vajra!' which has made my play kind of one dimensional.

Actually, no. I don't. I want more variety in gameplay design. I would rather have less viable characters if it meant the ones at the top were more interesting.

onionfrog

It really messes with someone's head when you block them for 10 straight seconds, too. Major morale killer.
True. After getting blocked for that long I usually end up doing something reckless.

Check out some DJ Houshen matches from early Ultimate (I think it was his team). He's the best Felicia I've seen thus far.
I'll check this out, I was trying to think of good Felicia players to check out but nothing came to mind. It was even pretty inspiring to watch Justin wong's Felicia even though his felicia was pretty rudimentary.

Maybe that's why the double-down tap motion is doable for you.../excuses.
It seems like something that would be considerably more difficult on a stick. Especially when it needs to be done multiple times in quick succession. (Ex. She-hulks mid screen clothesline relaunch).

If you ever want me to change teams or something, let me know. I'm cool with swapping the team order or swapping to another team altogether.
I thought about it, but ultimately it was good for me to continue to play against that team so I could adapt and figure out how to deal with it. It's was very educational...
EDIT: Even though I lost a lot of matches, I felt like a decent number of them were fairly close.

I generally play while my wife is at work because me slamming the buttons down on the fightstick grates on her nerves, so I'm never able to set a consistent playtime. I like to play Fridays the most, though.
Replace wife with girlfriend and I'm in the same situation. haha.

Actually, no. I don't. I want more variety in gameplay design. I would rather have less viable characters if it meant the ones at the top were more interesting.
I'd like to have both.

True. After getting blocked for that long I usually end up doing something reckless.
You also have a tendency to not block on wakeup.0

I'll check this out, I was trying to think of good Felicia players to check out but nothing came to mind. It was even pretty inspiring to watch Justin wong's Felicia even though his felicia was pretty rudimentary.
I think DJ Houshen's is definitely the best, which isn't saying a whole lot...

It seems like something that would be considerably more difficult on a stick. Especially when it needs to be done multiple times in quick succession. (Ex. She-hulks mid screen clothesline relaunch).
Yeah, I find it hard as heck to do. I can do Torpedo -> Clothesline offline, though.

I thought about it, but ultimately it was good for me to continue to play against that team so I could adapt and figure out how to deal with it. It's was very educational...
Cool.

Replace wife with girlfriend and I'm in the same situation. haha.
It seems like it. When the ladies come home the PS3 is switched from Marvel to Netflix.

JeTmAn81

It seems like it. When the ladies come home the PS3 is switched from Marvel to Netflix.

I wish I had this option. My wife almost never leaves the house without me. I do have a basement with another Marvel setup, but the Xbox in the bedroom is the only wired setup. Le sigh...

onionfrog

I think I want to try a team with Felicia on point. What sort of assists do I need?
I was thinking a fast horizontal assist.
( hawkeye's triple arrow or some sort of beam). And maybe an overhead assist?

What assists hit overhead?
All I can come up with are:
-Viper(burn kick)
-Nova( centurion arts)
-Akuma(demon flip)

Tentatively I'm thinking:
Felicia(R. Buckler)/x/Hawkeye(Triple Arrow).
Maybe Felicia/RR/Hawkeye once I get some practice with RR. I think I could set up some nasty stuff with spitfire assist

You also have a tendency to not block on wakeup.
I like it when you point out things like this, it helps me become aware of my own bad habits in this game.

This is true. When I do get to play when she is home I get stuck with wireless internet because the only wired connection is in the living room(the only tv with cable).

Azure J

So MahvelGAF, if you were to run this team:

Zero (X)/Dante (Jam Session)/Strider (Vajra)

What assist would you run for Zero between Ryuejin and Hadangeki and why? While we're at it, any fundamentals you can give to a newbie Zero would be much appreciated as I develop this pocket team further.

X-23 TAC Team Construction

So I'm just trying to organize my thoughts here on what I think is the strongest general team composition in the game. TAC teams are basically similar to anchor Phoenix teams. The difference is that you're free to use meter however you want and you have an arguably more useful assist in Ankle Slicer, but the characters you can use are effectively more limited. The reason I think that TAC teams are better than Phoenix teams is that X-23 with 5 bars on incoming characters isn't a 9-1 matchup like Dark Phoenix, it's 10-0 against 90% of the cast, and incredibly strong vs Sentinel, Morrigan and very high-health teams once assists come into play.'

Much in the way that guys like Viscant think about the game, TAC teams are very percentage-and-hits based. With one clean hit and a 50-75% success rate reset, you can potentially kill three characters. A strong team on a good game takes 3-4 clean hits to win, and a team that takes less hits to win(Firebrand snap loop) requires a sub-optimal team and the possibility of a wonky setup.

So who can you play on a TAC team? On point, pretty much anybody. The great flexibility of this strategy is that damage and meter gain and reset setups no longer matter on any major level. It's completely single-minded and brainless. Just hit people, then immediately TAC. If it fails, do it again and again until it works or you wind up with enough meter anyway. This means that characters who are great at landing hits or staying safe or frustrating people but bad at getting clean kills are suddenly at the top of the list. It also means that characters that were already great stay that way, and characters with power-up hypers can use them without worry if it makes it easier to land that almighty hit.

Notable point characters(although your favorite character probably works too):

• Zero - the TAC God. He's great at staying safe, great at confusing people, he can corner carry off of any hit, he can TAC glitch and his sougenmu makes TAC's advantageous even in failure. It also helps that his best assist is also one of the easier TAC infinites and the best assist for seting up Dirt Nap. If you play Zero/Dante, you're handicapping yourself by not anchoring X-23. Period.
  • Morrigan - Can TAC glitch, can play standard Morridoom to her pleasure and use TACs as an afterthought on any odd hit. A fantastic choice.
  • Magneto - the king of converting hits and punishing assists, has basically no bad matchups, can corner carry and fake TACs for a great reset.
  • Strider - Is batshit insane, has no major weaknesses, is stupidly confusing to fight against when backed by assists, Vajra is a solid assist for setting up Dirt Nap
  • Rocket Raccoon - Is hard to hit, can move around the screen quickly while filling it with random crap

Support character(anybody with a reliable infinite and a great assist, basically):

• Sentinel - reasonable infinites and Hard Drive
  • Doom - infinites anywhere
  • Magneto - infinites anywhere
  • Dante - best Dirt Nap assist
  • Frank West -also builds a crap ton of level points
  • Amaterasu - arf arf arf
  • Trish - easiest infinite?

Anchor:
  • X-23 - raw tag and Dirt Nap after TAC, meterless x-factor lvl 1 combo to build 1.75 more bars, Dirt Nap and combo into a DHC to kill anchor

Best TAC team examples:
  • Zero/Dante/X-23
  • Zero/Sentinel/X-23
  • Morrigan/Doom/X-23
  • Magneto/Dante/X-23
  • Magneto/Doom/X-23
  • Magneto/Sentinel/X-23
  • Strider/Magneto/X-23
  • Spencer/Magneto/X-23
  • Spencer/Sentinel/X-23
  • Wolverine/Frank West/X-23

Crazy TAC team example:
  • Magneto/Dormammu/X-23 - punish assists while waiting for that hit opportunity

It'd be nice, I guess, but it's pretty low on my priority list.
Rebalancing tends to be low on the priority list for Magneto players...
They would just give him another new amazing move anyway.

I wish I had this option. My wife almost never leaves the house without me. I do have a basement with another Marvel setup, but the Xbox in the bedroom is the only wired setup. Le sigh...
What about work?

I think I want to try a team with Felicia on point. What sort of assists do I need?
I was thinking a fast horizontal assist.
( hawkeye's triple arrow or some sort of beam). And maybe an overhead assist?

What assists hit overhead?
All I can come up with are:
-Viper(burn kick)
-Nova( centurion arts)
-Akuma(demon flip)

Tentatively I'm thinking:
Felicia(R. Buckler)/x/Hawkeye(Triple Arrow).
Maybe Felicia/RR/Hawkeye once I get some practice with RR. I think I could set up some nasty stuff with spitfire assist
It's funny people are talking about Felicia and RR teams, since I just made big posts on GFAQs about both characters. Copypasta of my Felicia thoughts:
I'm big on pairing her with a good non-beam projectile assist and an anti-air.

So one of the following:
Taskmaster
Hawkeye
Rocket Raccoon
Arthur
Etc.

And one of the following:
Dante
Shuma-Gorath
Strider

I like it when you point out things like this, it helps me become aware of my own bad habits in this game.
Good. I don't want it to come off as rude.

This is true. When I do get to play when she is home I get stuck with wireless internet because the only wired connection is in the living room(the only tv with cable).
Gross! Use that time for training mode IMO.

What assist would you run for Zero between Ryuejin and Hadangeki and why? While we're at it, any fundamentals you can give to a newbie Zero would be much appreciated as I develop this pocket team further.
I think this is better than the Zero May Cry team, personally.

I think the assist is a tradeoff in utilities. Ryuenjin is an S tier crossover counter if you have a lot of meter, and it's great for combo extension for Dante. Hadangeki is good for playing keepaway or teleport mix-ups for Strider if he gets snapped in.

JeTmAn81

What about work?

She's disabled, so no work to be had.

As a Zero newb myself, I have used Ryuenjin but that's only with team ZMC, and mostly because Vergil can combo off a Helm Breaker with it. For Zero/Dante/Strider, I'd probably try Hadangeki just because it's always nice for Dante to have a horizontal projectile to complement Air Play shots, and it seems like you could use it for mixup potential as well. If Zero is Sougenmu'd, double your pleasure.

onionfrog

It's not magneto without Tengu Stone.

edit: Felicia/Hawkeye/Strider.
I like this! Why didn't I think of it myself. Da Best anti air assist = full combos off it with Felicia/Hawkeye AND effective zoning on the level of karst's Arthur/Strider pairing..
Plus i can have xf3 strider oroboros nonsense.
I'm gonna have to hit training mode with this tonight and learn strider. Thanks God's Beard!

Gross! Use that time for training mode IMO.
EDIT:
Agreed. After playing you and actually having a good connection, I can't go back to randoms online with bad connections.

This is a fantastic team, but damn it I don't want to have anchor Strider mirrors with you Onionfrog! :-/
Why not? My strider is ass, you'd have a significant advantage. :p ... For now...

Dante with a buffed Hadangeki can do some nuts front -> back -> front mixups that combo together.
Does Sougenmu'd Hadangeki combo with itself?

She's disabled, so no work to be had.
Ah, I see. Does she need you assistance for getting about, then? Or is it more about emotional security?

As a Zero newb myself, I have used Ryuenjin but that's only with team ZMC, and mostly because Vergil can combo off a Helm Breaker with it. For Zero/Dante/Strider, I'd probably try Hadangeki just because it's always nice for Dante to have a horizontal projectile to complement Air Play shots, and it seems like you could use it for mixup potential as well. If Zero is Sougenmu'd, double your pleasure.
Double your pleasure, double your lightning loops!

On that note, I saw Viscant doing lightning loops recently...

Why not? My strider is ass, you'd have a significant advantage. :p ... For now...
I hate mirror matches in general, but dear god do I loathe teleporter mirror matches. Dormammu vs. Dormammu is as close to feeling random as this game gets for me. Double XF3 Strider Ouroboros...AAAAAGGGGH!

JeTmAn81

Ah, I see. Does she need you assistance for getting about, then? Or is it more about emotional security?

She has chronic pain issues, so she doesn't drive anymore. It's too hard for her to even take the bus, so she doesn't go anywhere if someone doesn't drive her.

On that note, I saw Viscant doing lightning loops recently...

Yup, Zero has officially jumped the shark.

Azure J

X-23 TAC Team Construction

I love this post in its entirety just for finally (kinda) enlightening myself on how TAC teams should work/be designed.

I think this is better than the Zero May Cry team, personally.

I think the assist is a tradeoff in utilities. Ryuenjin is an S tier crossover counter if you have a lot of meter, and it's great for combo extension for Dante. Hadangeki is good for playing keepaway or teleport mix-ups for Strider if he gets snapped in.

I had a feeling that Hunter May Stride was the more powerful of the Zero teams from a long time ago. The thing that it "loses" versus Zero May Cry teams is easy corner carries with Vergil assist, but when you consider the idea that with this team, even if you aren't going to the corner every time, the mix up layers are so deep it almost feels like you might not even need that much. Theory monstering it up overall but yeah.

As for assists, the way I see them is such:

Ryuenjin: One of (if not the) best CC assists; adds to Dante meter building combos in stupid ways; sets up a really simple entry mixup with a teleporter.

Hadangeki: Neutral, neutral neutral; has a good durability, movement speed and can be doubled up for mixups

I used to stick with Ryuenjin because of the CC possibility and entry mixup potential, but in thinking about this team as a real second, I'm thinking of going with Hadangeki just because having horizontal control is always welcome. I also can't imagine the shit Based Strider with doubled Hadangeki running around the place would be capable of.

Does Sougenmu'd Hadangeki combo with itself?

Yup!

mr. puppy

Banned
these x-23 theorycraft teams never made sense to me. "x-23 coming in with 5 bars" is assuming in some way that your two point characters did really well, or are putting x-23 in a good position. unless you have something absurd like hulk/haggar/x-23 where the first two characters dying gives you 5 bars anyway, you aren't going to be winning or anything.

the theorycraft here assumes that you did well already and can keep your damage up by not using that meter, and then x-23 can come clean the last character or two, and then its kinda pointless. Its like what Wesker/Haggar/Phoenix has become, where if Wesker/Haggar doesn't do well, then you gotta start spending meter with Phoenix in cases like incoming mixups where she definitely won't have 5 bars and you need to super out of it or something. but even then, its not a great strategy. Point character dies and you're left with Support/X-23, and X-23 doesn't give your new point character anything.

if you want to do a dark anchor/all kill anchor or anything like that, you gotta use Vergil, Strider, Ammy or Phoenix. Those are pretty much the best 4 dark anchors in the game if you're waiting for LVL 3 X-factor to do your bullshit. Maybe Akuma can be in there, but aside from people being retarded and calling assists against him, he is managable.

these x-23 theorycraft teams never made sense to me. "x-23 coming in with 5 bars" is assuming in some way that your two point characters did really well, or are putting x-23 in a good position. unless you have something absurd like hulk/haggar/x-23 where the first two characters dying gives you 5 bars anyway, you aren't going to be winning or anything.

I don't understand where you're coming from here. I just hit somebody once, then go for a TAC infinite to get 5 bars, which also kills the opposing point character. Then I raw tag to X-23, call an assist to pin the incoming character while dirt nap starts up then start a free combo.

the theorycraft here assumes that you did well already and can keep your damage up by not using that meter, and then x-23 can come clean the last character or two, and then its kinda pointless.
I'm not using anchor X-23. This isn't lvl-3 x-factor, it's level one. I can use as much meter as I feel like until I get a TAC. Once I do, I win. Period.

Its like what Wesker/Haggar/Phoenix has become, where if Wesker/Haggar doesn't do well, then you gotta start spending meter with Phoenix in cases like incoming mixups where she definitely won't have 5 bars and you need to super out of it or something.

Well, yeah, if two characters die your team isn't as good. That's just how it goes. This is a gimmick team. The difference is that I don't need 5 bars with X-23 do to Dirt Nap. I could x-factor guard cancel someone with lvl-3 x-factor then kill them and use the bars I build to kill the incoming character guaranteed. It's not like X-23 is useless.

Point character dies and you're left with Support/X-23, and X-23 doesn't give your new point character anything.
She gives Dante and Magneto unblockable setups, she makes Strider's combos a lot simpler. And guess what? I can DHC her in and have X-23/support character!

if you want to do a dark anchor/all kill anchor or anything like that, you gotta use Vergil, Strider, Ammy or Phoenix. Those are pretty much the best 4 dark anchors in the game if you're waiting for LVL 3 X-factor to do your bullshit. Maybe Akuma can be in there, but aside from people being retarded and calling assists against him, he is managable.

Maybe I'm not clear enough, but you're arguing against something I didn't post. TAC X-23 teams have nothing to do with anchor X-23. That's not the goal here. Similar to Phoenix teams, but only in building meter. I get no advantage from waiting around.

I love this post in its entirety just for finally (kinda) enlightening myself on how TAC teams should work/be designed.

Thanks!

mr. puppy

Banned
^ Oh I wasn't really commenting on your post, I didn't even see that haha. I was just brainstorming. Lemme see what you posted and I'll take a look. Just a random coincidence.

For what its worth though, you can't rely on infinites to win these games, nobody pulls those off consistently at any level.

Top Bottom