• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

onionfrog

I'm sitting here at work thinking about Felicia/Hawkeye/Strider...
I think I should be able to get a long range confirm into full combo with:
Call vajra, j. Triple Arrows. (Vajra hits as arrows hit) dash trick shot-> ice arrow-> slide S j.MMHS ..etc

I'm excited to try this team out in training mode tonight.

Nobody could do basic Magneto flight combos in a tournament in vanilla until they started practicing. Now they can do Alioune loops and Doom TACs.
Day 1 of pre-release Ultimate "wtf they got rid of Magneto's fly combos!"

I'm sitting here at work thinking about Felicia/Hawkeye/Strider...
I think I should be able to get a long range confirm into full combo with:
Call vajra, j. Triple Arrows. (Vajra hits as arrows hit) dash trick shot-> ice arrow-> slide S j.MMHS ..etc

I'm excited to try this team out in training mode tonight.
Paging Mr. Panda.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Come with me and I'll train you in the ways of the bow

iTmTuD3w1bCXN.gif

JeTmAn81

Welp, I must announce that I am now the proud owner of this game on all platforms:

marvel-vs-capcom-3-vita.jpg

I don't think I've ever gone this all in on a single game before. Now I just have to figure out how to get a cheap Vita...

Someone on GFAQs just claimed that if you TAC from Doom to Vergil, Doom says "Dante!" - can anyone confirm?

"Magneto's normals are crap!"
"He's so slow now, I don't think anyone's going to stick with him now."

Magneto players are so dramatic!

Welp, I must announce that I am now the proud owner of this game on all platforms:

marvel-vs-capcom-3-vita.jpg

I don't think I've ever gone this all in on a single game before. Now I just have to figure out how to get a cheap Vita...
You get to be my dedicated hitbox screencap provider! :-D

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I'll add you on psn when I get home after work.
I'm always willing to learn.
Also any idea if what I posted with vajra would work? I won't have a chance to test it till later.

I never do that but I don't see why it wouldn't work. It just depends on if you're close enough for the trick shot.

Then again there's a chance the triple arrows will mess up the Vajra part. I'll test it out.

Frantic

Everyone was dramatic over their character's nerfs. I seem to remember some Zero players complaining about the 'nerfs' to Zero, completely overlooking his incredibly dumb buffs.

Solune

What assists hit overhead?
All I can come up with are:
-Viper(burn kick)
-Nova( centurion arts)
-Akuma(demon flip)
There are only 4 assists that hit overhead in the game, the last one is Iron Fist's Crescent Heel. Of course the best one by far is Nova's.
So MahvelGAF, if you were to run this team:

Zero (X)/Dante (Jam Session)/Strider (Vajra)

What assist would you run for Zero between Ryuejin and Hadangeki and why? While we're at it, any fundamentals you can give to a newbie Zero would be much appreciated as I develop this pocket team further.

This may sound obvious but it won't matter much if you don't switch out Zero! Seriously other than Flocker, I rarely see Zero players try to get him out of trouble. I guess the argument would be that , Zero shouldn't be put in that position in the first place but that's hardly the case. Re: Chris G vs Flocker. If you're willing to switch out sometimes, Hadangeki is better imo.

Azure J

Solune, I figured as much. I dunno though, I love point Dante a ton and find myself getting him in there more often than not with any of my team compositions so I'm always trying to balance the team around the idea of what happens if best Sparda Son has to do more work than [insert OP point character here]. :lol

"Magneto's normals are crap!"

"He's not Swagnus with that speed anymore, he got old and put on weight." (Paraphrased)

Then people realized no one man can block all those trijumps/Magblast is the special move of the year/Attraction, Repulsion, & Gravitation are bonkers + we really haven't explored THCs much.

@Frantic: Oh I totally forgot about Zero players pre Ultimate. "NO HARD KNOCKDOWN ON BUSTER? WTF MID TIER." Meanwhile:

In related news, Zero stock goes up, deemed "broken as holy fuck" by community come Ultimate.

Shoutouts to knowing what was up Day -29.

JeTmAn81

Someone on GFAQs just claimed that if you TAC from Doom to Vergil, Doom says "Dante!" - can anyone confirm?

You get to be my dedicated hitbox screencap provider! :-D

Alright, let's make a deal. You just send me a Vita and I'll make as many screenshots as you want. It's a win-win!

"He's not Swagnus with that speed anymore, he got old and put on weight." (Paraphrased)

Then people realized no one man can block all those trijumps/Magblast is the special move of the year/Attraction, Repulsion, & Gravitation are bonkers + we really haven't explored THCs much.

Every time I watch RayRay or Joker, I can't believe that Fanatiq calls this a bad move. The things they do with Magnetic Blast are nuts. It's an amazing zoning tool (that 45 degree angle!), and you can even confirm into a full combo off it! Of course it can help you get to some of Magneto's highest combo damage, as well.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Yeah onionfrog it works. And I'm using it now.

Call Strider before you jump.

Also obviously limited by the range of Trick H so you're not confirming off this from full screen (unfortunately).

edit- nope! works full screen too LOL

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Still requires some sort of timing so your Triple Arrows don't hit after the Vajra. Honestly don't see myself using it that much since people tend to block arrows more often than they get hit by it.

But it's still nice!

onionfrog

Yeah onionfrog it works. And I'm using it now.

Call Strider before you jump.

Also obviously limited by the range of Trick H so you're not confirming off this from full screen (unfortunately).

edit- nope! works full screen too LOL

Cool! That's how I meant to describe it, calling strider before I jump.

Is there anything special I need to do to get a confirm off of it full screen?

EDIT: I'm still gonna use it, it's not like you're really in a bad situation if they block it. LOL

Still requires some sort of timing so your Triple Arrows don't hit after the Vajra. Honestly don't see myself using it that much since people tend to block arrows more often than they get hit by it.

But it's still nice!
I'm mostly joking about the fear. If you have to call Vajra while you're jumping into arrows, it sounds like easy happy birthday material for Dormammu to me.

Azure J

The Hawkeye army is the one I fear the most. :lol

Edit: Another one off question, can Felicia get damage off extensions with Vajra or is this a situation where you want to use Vajra explicitly as a means to start shit when people want to jump around avoiding her on the ground?

onionfrog

I'm mostly joking about the fear. If you have to call Vajra while you're jumping into arrows, it sounds like easy happy birthday material for Dormammu to me.
We'll see...

Edit: Another one off question, can Felicia get damage off extensions with Vajra or is this a situation where you want to use Vajra explicitly as a means to start shit when people want to jump around avoiding her on the ground?
I'm not sure if I can use it for combo extensions. I'll have to play around with it tonight.

Call Vajra + c.HS lets Strider combo off of the launcher into a hard knockdown, so it should have some application for anyone who can self-OTG.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I guess this makes Dead Arrow obsolete now, at least when using Hawkeye with Vajra. I always saw Dead Arrow as the "combo arrow" since it's the only one I knew I could combo with from fullscreen. But dead arrow loops give me like no meter while this Vajra hitconfirm gives me nearly a bar. Also does more damage and will chip more if it is blocked.

smurfx

get some go again

we can play if you want so you can train to play hawkeye. i hardly ever used hawkeye in the games we played. plus its always nice to have some target practice. :p

Grecco

So MahvelGAF, if you were to run this team:

Zero (X)/Dante (Jam Session)/Strider (Vajra)

What assist would you run for Zero between Ryuejin and Hadangeki and why? While we're at it, any fundamentals you can give to a newbie Zero would be much appreciated as I develop this pocket team further.

Ryunejin. Hels Dante more than Hadenki and good for crossover counter.

X-23 TAC Team Construction
  • Sentinel - reasonable infinites and Hard Drive
  • Doom - infinites anywhere
  • Magneto - infinites anywhere
  • Dante - best Dirt Nap assist
  • Frank West -also builds a crap ton of level points
  • Amaterasu - arf arf arf
  • Trish - easiest infinite?

I know Iron Man sucks, but I think he should be included since he has infinites and good assists. Repulsor is a good Dirt Nap assist too.

Dahbomb

Iron Man has one of the most practical infinites in the game.

If he had a safe DHC he would be an S tier support character.

smurfx

get some go again
lol got to love my pad. twice i blocked low and still got hit low and both characters died. god bless madcatz.

When I come back to this in January, going to be learning anchor Dante. Marn, Justin and Rayray all told me that they look at my team and are just like "I'll maul him." Said I needed something to get a little more respect -- my current team can go off when it gets space to operate (which is exactly what does happen). Jam Session will help with that, buff both my characters, Dante's the only DMC character I can stomach, and he's a silly anchor (plus you actually have to know how to play him).

Also, I have sick VA synergy with this team -- if I OTG webzip with Jam Session and combo into web throw, Dante says "Catch ya later" and Spider-Man says "SEE YA LATER" as soon as he finishes the web throw.

Will still use X-23 against non-maul teams, but it should be more solid overall. I'll miss her :'(

I did surprisingly okay against people in casuals/FT5s, shame it didn't transfer over to any event proceedings. Oh well. Play ya guys in a bit, will probably still lurk the thread -- just burnt out.

Beef when are we gonna play, I need practice!

Also, to Killa Sasa and any other X-23 players: Is this a new combo starter?

Against standing opponents:
Talon Attack L, jL2H xx Talon Attack L

With x-factor:
Talon Attack L, jM2H xx Talon Attack L, jM2H xx Talon Attack L

Seems like my damage goes up a bit when I use this, even if it's pretty much only good off a counter-hit or fuzzy guard.

When I come back to this in January, going to be learning anchor Dante. Marn, Justin and Rayray all told me that they look at my team and are just like "I'll maul him." Said I needed something to get a little more respect -- my current team can go off when it gets space to operate (which is exactly what does happen). Jam Session will help with that, buff both my characters, Dante's the only DMC character I can stomach, and he's a silly anchor (plus you actually have to know how to play him).

Also, I have sick VA synergy with this team -- if I OTG webzip with Jam Session and combo into web throw, Dante says "Catch ya later" and Spider-Man says "SEE YA LATER" as soon as he finishes the web throw.

Will still use X-23 against non-maul teams, but it should be more solid overall. I'll miss her :'(

I did surprisingly okay against people in casuals/FT5s, shame it didn't transfer over to any event proceedings. Oh well. Play ya guys in a bit, will probably still lurk the thread -- just burnt out.

Why not go back to Iron Man and play a TAC infinite team?

The real pain is running through the whole house. I look forward to the improved connection, though.

It won't be that big of a pain. The router is directly above my room in another room, so it just has to go down the stairs, through the wall at the bottom of the stairs (there's a hole there already for the phone line), and shazam.

It won't be that big of a pain. The router is directly above my room in another room, so it just has to go down the stairs, through the wall at the bottom of the stairs (there's a hole there already for the phone line), and shazam.
Haha, sounds like a pain to me. My wife would hate the aesthetic damage.

Why not go back to Iron Man and play a TAC infinite team?

Playing him is fun. Playing him competitively is not because he's so bad. He is the definition of blood from a stone imo.

Re: stop the maul -- may just go full braindead and learn Hulk-Drones. Fight the dumb with dumb.

Playing him is fun. Playing him competitively is not because he's so bad. He is the definition of blood from a stone imo.

Re: stop the maul -- may just go full braindead and learn Hulk-Drones. Fight the dumb with dumb.

It seems like you're going through some post-loss confusion. Take a break for a few days, then go back into the game with fresh eyes and make your decision.

onionfrog

Sick VA synergy, thats pretty funny and also pretty cool.

The real pain is running through the whole house. I look forward to the improved connection, though.
I wish I could run an Ethernet cord to the room where I normally have my ps3, but I'm in an apartment.

Felicia/Hawkeye/Strider

Strider:
I can get a combo off triple arrow assist + H vajra. This only works at long distances or full screen.

I can get a full combo off of triple arrow assist + tiger from full screen if I dash fast enough. I know this is happy birthday bait, but I still think its kind of cool.

In the corner I can relaunch with triple arrow + formation b without having it summoned beforehand.

Hawkeye:
The full combo off of triple arrow + vajra does take a bit of timing, but I really like it.

Although much less useful, I like that you can similarly get a full combo off vajra + exploding arrow if you opponent gets hit AA with the arrow.

Felicia:
I haven't figured out much yet. Vajra is great for getting full combos from almost anywhere.
I could get and extra sand splash at the end if a combo using vajra, but the timing was kinda tight.

My strider is still horrible. Im sure quite a bit of this is obvious to people who are used to using him.

EDIT: After playing Beef today, j. Triple arrow + vajra is just asked to get happy birthday'd.

lol, I can cross up with Strider's Wall cling while calling EMD, then tap back to jump off the wall and EMD hits in the front right as Strider hops off the wall and I can still combo.

EMD + Wall Cling = True 50/50?

Solune

Wait did Marn/Justin/Rayray tell you to play Dante, or is that the anchor a decision you came to yourself? Sounds like you've been pocketing him for a while if that's what it came down to. It's kind of funny because alot of people still seem to think Dante isn't a good anchor, that's why it's coming off as a surprise to me.

Iron Man sounds like some kind of giant Kidney Stone now.

Azure J

@Sasa: While I love your team already and like that you got to yours via "pick what you like", if you do succumb to the bess Sparda Son, I'll definitely help you out with tips. God's Beard has better advice for you though. Don't take it too roughly, just give yourself a breather and then think about an actual team change.

Anth0ny

What do you want, then? If it's just something basic, learn M&Ms.

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to learn now.

I know Champ likes doing M&M's that takes the opponent into the corner, where he continues closer to the ground with Ls, butter gun, air plasma beam and M's (and occasionally rocks into up super). It does great damage, builds a fuck load of meter and seems easy enough to learn. Anyone have the notation for that one?

Nert

It seems like you're going through some post-loss confusion. Take a break for a few days, then go back into the game with fresh eyes and make your decision.

I go through this all of the time, even when just playing online ranked games. I usually attribute my losses to sloppy execution or a lack of matchup experience, but sometimes I get frustrated with my team and feel like throwing it out to start with something new. Every once in a while, I have to remind myself that I wont have as much fun if I abandon all of the characters that I like playing as to squeeze in someone like Doctor Doom.

I don't think I'll ever not be shocked at how much invincibility Raging Demon has and how long it lasts. Managed to get through a Chaotic Flame just as the flames came out for the win (XF was already used). I even went through a Wesker Lvl. 3, and I was first!

Top Bottom