• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

I was experimenting in the labs earlier today with Crossover Counters coupled with X-Factor to see if I could come up with some nice defensive combo killers but wasn't too successful. I would imagine Ghost Rider's chain of rebutal could lead into some interesting results.

I was experimenting in the labs earlier today with Crossover Counters coupled with X-Factor to see if I could come up with some nice defensive combo killers but wasn't too successful. I would imagine Ghost Rider's chain of rebutal could lead into some interesting results.
Chain of Rebuttal always leads to full combos, and is invincible until the whip hits. It's so good. One of the best crossover counters in the game.

Yeah it's really good. You beat me 75-18 last time we played. Plus you really can't get rid of the problem anchor because there are two of them! Strider/Arthur is a really solid combo.
I really like that about the team. If Ghost Rider dies, Strider and Arthur are both excellent comeback characters. If Ghost Rider is alive, he's a great anti-anchor with XFC Penance Stare and his general moveset.

onionfrog

So I finally caved in and bought the costume pack. I figured I get more than enough entertainment out if this game to justify the cost.

Time to main team Megaman(costumes).
Megaman X(zero)/Megaman X(Frank)/Blue Arthur!

So I finally caved in and bought the costume pack. I figured I get more than enough entertainment out if this game to justify the cost.

Time to main team Megaman(costumes).
Megaman X(zero)/Megaman X(Frank)/Blue Arthur!
I would buy it if it would drop in price. I would also buy poop on a stick if I could put it on a team.

onionfrog

I would buy it if it would drop in price. I would also buy poop on a stick if I could put it on a team.
Wait what?... I think it get it... You'd settle for any dlc at this point? Shit I'm desperate enough that I would buy a dlc character pack of shadow lady, evil ryu, war machine and bone claw wolverine!!!
( The laziest possible rehashed characters capcom could come up with) and I'd probably be happy about it too... Is that sad?

Wait what?... I think it get it... You'd settle for any dlc at this point? Shit I'm desperate enough that I would buy a dlc character pack of shadow lady, evil ryu, war machine and bone claw wolverine!!!
( The laziest possible rehashed characters capcom could come up with) and I'd probably be happy about it too... Is that sad?
You sentiments mirror mine exactly!

GGs to Beef!

Final score(approximate because I don't have a second controller and I couldn't check after he left):

Professor Beef: 50

God's Beard: 10

Did anyone record the matches? How much hilarity resulted from the connection quality?

Local! And no, my camera needs batteries and I forgot to buy them yesterday lol

I'll give more details but I've got to leave now so if Beef wants to fill you in on rear hitboxes that's cool too.

retarded hitboxes in umvc3? sounds about right.

lolyup

Other than that we played a bunch of games. Can't remember how many exactly, but I remember at the very least 35. God's Beard really hates super armor, hahaha. I managed to get the better of his Phoenix team and what I'm assuming was his Spencer team. He has a really good Magneto. Fuckin' tridashes everywhere! Stand H couldn't keep up. I did manage to get a Nemesis Level 3 on him. That made my day. ^__^

Then I went and used my Joe teams. Feels so good being able to do his BnBs without worrying about dropping M after an SRK. Good games and fun times all around.

lolyup

Other than that we played a bunch of games. Can't remember how many exactly, but I remember at the very least 35. God's Beard really hates super armor, hahaha. I managed to get the better of his Phoenix team and what I'm assuming was his Spencer team. He has a really good Magneto. Fuckin' tridashes everywhere! Stand H couldn't keep up. I did manage to get a Nemesis Level 3 on him. That made my day. ^__^

Then I went and used my Joe teams. Feels so good being able to do his BnBs without worrying about dropping M after an SRK. Good games and fun times all around.
What about the X-23 team?

Teams I used:

Wesker/Magneto/Phoenix
Strider/Magneto/X-23
Wolverine/Akuma/Phoenix
Viewtiful Joe/some troll shit
Spencer/Wesker/Strider
Dormammu/Spencer/Magneto
Magneto/Doom/X-23
Magneto/Dante/X-23
Magneto/Sentinel/Rocket Raccoon

Basically:

My old Wesker and Phoenix teams tended to do a lot better than my new X-23 teams despite the rust because I've used them against people and at locals before. That and I didn't go for the infinites because I'm still in process for learning them which crippled the teams.
First few matches were dead even, then he started to pull away. Against non-joe teams it was better but I can't fight Joe :-(

Things to work on"
  • I need to be generally more aware of situations and stay safer
  • Work on anti-zoning movement
  • I can't call Jam Session for shit
  • Learn midscreen combos for Dante
  • Confirm faster with Magneto so I don't get stuck with shit combos
  • Clean up my incoming mixups
  • Stop pushing buttons
  • nerf Joe

Your Magneto and Wesker are damn good. But then again you've put around what, 1000+ hours into them? It's to be expected.

Oh yeah, Rocket Raccoon looks like he gives no fucks when he gets grabbed by Ghost Rider's Level 3.

Your Magneto and Wesker are damn good. But then again you've put around what, 1000+ hours into them? It's to be expected.

Oh yeah, Rocket Raccoon looks like he gives no fucks when he gets grabbed by Ghost Rider's Level 3.
If you took that screenshot and showed somebody that didn't know the characters, it'd look like a comic strip of a raccoon that bit somebody's face off.

By the way, my Strider is an abomination.

Beef:
(Snaps in X-23, leaving me with anchor Strider and 5 bars) "What have I done"

God's Beard:

85370.original.jpg

Current Strider bnb:
c.LMHS, sj.MMH, qcf.L, j.MHS, call Chain of Rebuttal + qcb.S, df.H, dash, s.S, sj.MMHS

So, I have Strider's Formation B charged - any way to make use of that to further the combo, or any suggestions on how to make this longer? Does about 391K with no meter right now, which isn't bad for Strider.

Ok so these are my best characters, in order:

Magneto
Phoenix
Wesker
Spencer
Akuma
Maybe Viper or Trish, but that was back in Vanilla that I made teams around them

My process with anything in Marvel is to find out what the strongest thing is, then dial back to what I'm at a comfortable compromise with. I still definitely want to stick to an X-23 team, but the strongest configurations of those involve setups I'm really bad with. Anything with Doom/Jam Session/Strider/Zero cripples me and I get lost. It kinda sucks because I think the Dante and Strider stuff had the best synergy, and Doom makes Magneto look pretty.

I think I'll go with something like this:

Wesker/Magneto/X-23
Akuma/Magneto/X-23
Viper/Magneto/X-23
Phoenix/Trish/X-23
Viper/Trish/X-23

I'm having trouble deciding, though. Somewhere between comfort and synergy.

Dahbomb

Those teams are ass. Best one is the first one. Last one is interesting due to numerous unlockable set ups but no lockdown assist for Viper.

Just play team Neo or better yet replace Phoenix with Vergil for team scrub. Win percentage will go up dramatically. With the characters you play you are better off playing point X23 backed by Wesker and Magnus.

Why not Spencer/Magneto/X23?

Just play team Neo or better yet replace Phoenix with Vergil for team scrub.
Wesker/Magneto/Phoenix is one of my best teams already...

And I really like TAC teams, I just want to play in my comfort zone with fun movement characters that jump on heads.

With the characters you play you are better off playing point X23 backed by Wesker and Magnus.
But I don't really care about X-23 this side of Dirt Nap.

Why not Spencer/Magneto/X23?
I thought about it, but the temptation to stop thinking with Spencer is too high.

What happened to Strider/Magneto/X23?

It's one of the best X-23 teams I can think of, but I need to work my ass off to figure out what the hell I'm doing with Strider. I want something to play against people in the interim. I just made up a bunch of teams on the spot against Beef and that's no fun.

Dahbomb

Sounds like you need some real match experience with Strider. You can probably hunt for old Chou videos, he is the only player to have seriously used point Strider.

So I've been thinking about my Dormammu team recently, and I've been trying to understand why the Ghost Rider team is more enjoyable for me. Sure, it's new, and that's always nice, but it's past the point of enjoying it on those merits. It's also clearly not the fact that there's a lot to figure out for the team, because my Dormammu team has a lot to figure out for it, but I just don't feel like it.

Hmmm.

Then it hit me. I really like playing Ghost Rider, and Arthur and Strider are just there to support him. If I just had Arthur and Strider, I don't think I'd want to make a team with them, even though they're fun to play in their own kind of way, like most characters are. What feels good is that I love using Ghost Rider, and I rock people with him

On the other hand, with my Dormammu team, when Vergil (or anyone, really) is rocking the screen, there's no reason to put Dormammu in. It'll always be better to keep Vergil on unless Vergil isn't doing well. And then Dormammu has to "save the team", which is fun, but that's a secondary character's role, not my main's. This is all just about how I feel, not about what makes for an effective team.

So, I think I'm going to go back to the drawing board and either make a team that DHCs Dormammu in ASAP and keeps him on point because that's the best spot for him on that team, or look at possible ways to play Dormammu on point (scary). Yeah, there's Double Lariat...but it's not like Haggar/Morrigan is going to do anything. So, to the drawing board, and with a new perspective in mind...

I'm also working on a Dr. Strange team with a similar philosophy:
Amaterasu (Cold Stars)
Dr. Strange (Bolts of Balthakk)
Morrigan (Dark Harmonizer)

Pewpewpew!

I've also considered running Morrigan on this team, and letting Dormammu rock with someone else. It's a thought, at least.

onionfrog

It's not really a good team composition, but I had a lot of fun last night with:
She-hulk(torpedo)/Rocket Raccoon(spitfire)/Strider(vajra).
Spitfire can cover she-hulks approach, and I can go for command grabs in between the shots if blocked.
Also she gets full combos of vajra...
RR gets full combos off vajra..
Strider anchor is just fun..

Marz

So I've been thinking about my Dormammu team recently, and I've been trying to understand why the Ghost Rider team is more enjoyable for me. Sure, it's new, and that's always nice, but it's past the point of enjoying it on those merits. It's also clearly not the fact that there's a lot to figure out for the team, because my Dormammu team has a lot to figure out for it, but I just don't feel like it.

Hmmm.

Then it hit me. I really like playing Ghost Rider, and Arthur and Strider are just there to support him. If I just had Arthur and Strider, I don't think I'd want to make a team with them, even though they're fun to play in their own kind of way, like most characters are. What feels good is that I love using Ghost Rider, and I rock people with him

On the other hand, with my Dormammu team, when Vergil (or anyone, really) is rocking the screen, there's no reason to put Dormammu in. It'll always be better to keep Vergil on unless Vergil isn't doing well. And then Dormammu has to "save the team", which is fun, but that's a secondary character's role, not my main's. This is all just about how I feel, not about what makes for an effective team.

So, I think I'm going to go back to the drawing board and either make a team that DHCs Dormammu in ASAP and keeps him on point because that's the best spot for him on that team, or look at possible ways to play Dormammu on point (scary). Yeah, there's Double Lariat...but it's not like Haggar/Morrigan is going to do anything. So, to the drawing board, and with a new perspective in mind...

I'm also working on a Dr. Strange team with a similar philosophy:
Amaterasu (Cold Stars)
Dr. Strange (Bolts of Balthakk)
Morrigan (Dark Harmonizer)

Pewpewpew!

I've also considered running Morrigan on this team, and letting Dormammu rock with someone else. It's a thought, at least.

Just play team F. Champ.

LakeEarth

Ahh, nothing better than having your opponent teabag while waiting for your last character to come out, get out of his mixup, and then just wreck his shit.

Bonus points when you do it with Nemesis.

It's not really a good team composition, but I had a lot of fun last night with:
She-hulk(torpedo)/Rocket Raccoon(spitfire)/Strider(vajra).
Spitfire can cover she-hulks approach, and I can go for command grabs in between the shots if blocked.
Also she gets full combos of vajra...
RR gets full combos off vajra..
Strider anchor is just fun..
RR/Strider is a good shell. You can slap anyone on point and do pretty well, I think. Same with Arthur/Strider, or pretty much any keepaway character with a good projectile assist + Strider.

Just play team F. Champ.
Then I have to use Doom, whom I hate, and learn Magneto, who I can't do anything more with than MMHS combos and EMD spam (which I still somehow win with...). I might end up doing this, but it sounds unattractive to me. I might do Magneto just because EMD is likely Dormammu's best assist.

Ahh, nothing better than having your opponent teabag while waiting for your last character to come out, get out of his mixup, and then just wreck his shit.

Bonus points when you do it with Nemesis.
And then you leave after you win, right? :-D

Top Bottom