• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Its a masterpiece, I could practically play it in my sleep at this point. (Except the disappearing block in heat mans stage, I always use item 2 for that.).
And Wily's dungeon...so hard.

Apparently this is an actual character from some monstrosity marvel created called the pet avengers...
Link here:
http://www.comicvine.com/throg/29-30596/
(I just took the pic from google on one of the weeks when I was playing thor religiously in umvc3.)
Its a pretty cool pic though...
Why not just have a picture of Thor? He reminds me of Frog from Crono Trigger.

onionfrog

Why not just have a picture of Thor? He reminds me of Frog from Crono Trigger.
He also reminds me of frog, so that's a plus, and it kinda ties it in to my username..
I'll probably stick with this avatar for now.

Top 3 difficult parts in classic Megaman(IMO)
1. Yellow Devil(MM1)
2. Protoman Impersonator(MM5).
3. Jump Jump!! Slide Slide!!(MM8 Wily's Castle).

Aside from the boss where you need to have full crash bombs and not miss anything, I dont think MM2's castle is terribly difficult. (Although that may be because I've beaten it the most).

Why isnt Megaman in this game? Doesn't capcom like money? A Megaman/Cyclops DLC pack would've sold like hotcakes... Or put in Megaman X, they already have the model... Or port Voltnutt from TVC...

EDIT: You mentioned you were grading papers, What do you teach Karst? English?

He also reminds me of frog, so that's a plus, and it kinda ties it in to my username..
I'll probably stick with this avatar for now.

Top 3 difficult parts in classic Megaman(IMO)
1. Yellow Devil(MM1)
2. Protoman Impersonator(MM5).
3. Jump Jump!! Slide Slide!!(MM8 Wily's Castle).

Aside from the boss where you need to have full crash bombs and not miss anything, I dont think MM2's castle is terribly difficult. (Although that may be because I've beaten it the most).

Why isnt Megaman in this game? Doesn't capcom like money? A Megaman/Cyclops DLC pack would've sold like hotcakes... Or put in Megaman X, they already have the model... Or port Voltnutt from TVC...
According to Seth Killian, Capcom Japan thinks that Americans don't like Megaman, so he's not in the game.

The crash bomb boss is super duper hard. It took me ages to beat it even by using less-than-legitimate means.

onionfrog

According to Seth Killian, Capcom Japan thinks that Americans don't like Megaman, so he's not in the game.

The crash bomb boss is super duper hard. It took me ages to beat it even by using less-than-legitimate means.
Hey Karst, I'm gonna play SlasherMcGirk. If you get online ill send you an invite so you can watch

onionfrog

Good games SlasherMcGirk.
I need to learn to respect maya shield, hulk stand H and hulks AA assist ALOT more.

Your order in the court->gamma crush DHC is very effective, I'm surprised hulk is in range for gamma crush when you DHC. Plus it works as a happy birthday! Also nice unblockable setups.

Very impressive phoenix wright, the best I've played. Very nice turnabout mode combos. That maya shield... Arg..
After a few matches i realized that trying to keep you out only worked to a certain extent. Many times you were still able to get all 3 pieces of evidence while i was trying to keep you out, and then things were not in my favor. I also liked how you were able to land an objection and continue into a sick combo with wright.

Bravo for making me afraid of phoenix wright. You do him great justice.

I'm slightly disappointed that I didn't get at least one win. You beat me 15-0. :( It was tons of fun though!

Thanks a lot Onionfrog! Truth be told I was very very scared of your Felicia. I fight against hardly ever online, let alone a good one. If she had a gunshot and a teleport she would be a better wesker than wesker lol.

Oh and I expect an observation report from you too Karst! :)

Also I was so excited the last match when I maximum Wesker and then on the first hit DHC to gamma crush from full screen to win.

onionfrog

I know everyone else did their's a few weeks ago, but I wanted to share my top 10 and bottom 10 most used characters:

Top 10 Most Used:
1. Felicia (616)
2. Thor (431)
3. Hawkeye (420)
4. Spencer (297)
5. Sentinel (239)
6. Iron Fist (186)
7. Spider-Man (164)
8. She-Hulk (134)
9. Jill (133)
10. Wesker (126).

Honorable Mentions:
11. Tron (105)
12. Hsien Ko (97)

Top 10 Least Used:
1. Ghost Rider (0)
2. Phoenix (0)
3. Morrigan (1)
4. Nova (2)
5. Super Skrull (2)
6. Dante (2)
7. Chun Li (3)
8. Wolverine (4)
9. Chris (5)
10. Zero (5)

Let me ask MarvelGAF this. Who else here within the first couple of months of Ultimate's release have stuck with their main team and haven't changed it?

Has anyone stuck with their Vanilla Marvel 3 team?

onionfrog

Let me ask MarvelGAF this. Who else here within the first couple of months of Ultimate's release have stuck with their main team and haven't changed it?

Nope! I have a near constant team crisis. I can't really decide on one...
I know it should include felicia though...
The common consensus among people i've played on MahvelGAF is that Felicia is my best character.

EDIT: I was doing pretty good just a second ago against Solune with Felicia/Hawkeye/Strider.

Solune

God damn Ragnarok. And yah Felicia is your best character Onionfrog. Stick with her, and all you need to work on is execution and you're good to go.

onionfrog

God damn Ragnarok. And yah Felicia is your best character Onionfrog. Stick with her, and all you need to work on is execution and you're good to go.

Man you know that was epic to see it beat out iron fist's one inch punch! :)

Omg, ViolentJ2 won a match! I've been playing with that dude IRL since Vanilla came out..

Damn Solune, I really don't know how to handle your chris. I'm so unfamiliar with what he can do, you're the first good chris I've played.IDK what to do, Especially backed by Vajra.

TWILT

Banned

My Vanilla team was Wesker/Dante/Ammy, and now I run Strider May Cry. I do still use Wesker/Dante, but with Strider instead of Ammy though.

During the first months of Ultimate, I tried using Dante/Vergil/Morrigan, but it didn't work out I guess.

Thanks a lot Onionfrog! Truth be told I was very very scared of your Felicia. I fight against hardly ever online, let alone a good one. If she had a gunshot and a teleport she would be a better wesker than wesker lol.

Oh and I expect an observation report from you too Karst! :)

Also I was so excited the last match when I maximum Wesker and then on the first hit DHC to gamma crush from full screen to win.
Hmm, not much to say about the matches except that Onionfrog is clearly new to your team. Most of what happened made me think "Ah, I remember when I first fought Slasher, I tried to punch through the shield too!" I'll be able to say something of more value once he's more adjusted to how your team rolls.
And Onionfrog needs to use Felicia's dp.L much much much more often!

I still use Firebrand/Dormammu/Morrigan sometimes, which was my Ultimate launch team. I used Phoenix/Dormammu/Morrigan for about 2 months leading up to Ultimate in preparation.

My OG Vanilla team was Ryu/Dormammu/Sentinel. I was a huge noob that sat back and spammed Dark Hole H while calling Sentinel Force and just thought it was the best thing ever. Then I moved on to Sentinel/Dormammu/Doom (Hidden Missiles), and Hidden Missiles was my main assist for most of Vanilla. It got soooo boring, though. I eventually tried Dark Harmonizer because it's really strong but made me play a more active Dormammu, and loved it.

Saw Yipes using Nova/Spencer/Strange

Seems very uh efficient but fuck is it boring.
What makes it boring? ;-)

Azure J

My Vanilla team was Wesker/Dante/Ammy, and now I run Strider May Cry. I do still use Wesker/Dante, but with Strider instead of Ammy though.

During the first months of Ultimate, I tried using Dante/Vergil/Morrigan, but it didn't work out I guess.

Now there's a nostalgic team composition. The first Theory Team I ever made right there. :p

As for me, I didn't play Vanilla, and Ultimate has pretty much been all about Dante & Strider for me. It started with Dante/Felicia/Strider, went to Dante/Amaterasu/Strider, climaxed in the current Viper/Dante/Strider and hasn't changed much since. Of course really, I'm interested in finding the ones that get the most from my Dante/Strider duo that I am interested in playing. And then there are loves that I still want to make work but can't wean myself off of the Devil's Stride to put time into. (Sorry Morrigan, Hsien-Ko, Magneto, Dormammu, Phoenix, and yes even you Zero.)

Solune

Man you know that was epic to see it beat out iron fist's one inch punch! :)

Omg, ViolentJ2 won a match! I've been playing with that dude IRL since Vanilla came out..

Damn Solune, I really don't know how to handle your chris. I'm so unfamiliar with what he can do, you're the first good chris I've played.IDK what to do, Especially backed by Vajra.

Chris is weakest to tri-dashers and teleporters. Felicia's Delta Kick comes at the angle that Chris has no space control over, so if I have no mine out and I've already used my assist its free to come in on.

Chris is weakest to tri-dashers and teleporters. Felicia's Delta Kick comes at the angle that Chris has no space control over, so if I have no mine out and I've already used my assist its free to come in on.
Always have a land mine down and pushblock Felicia into it. That's what I do with Dormammu. Alternatively, flamethrower.

Frantic

I've gone thorugh multiple main teams in Ultimate. Started with my vanilla team of Spencer/Dante/Taskmaster, transitioned into Spencer/Vergil/Dante, then Dante/Spencer/Strider, Dante/Vergil/Strider, and have now settled on Dante/Trish/Strider and don't plan on changing it any time soon. Such a fun team(for me, anyways).

You make it sound easy when you have arrows and chaotic flames being thrown at you.
Felicia has Chaotic Flame now?

I've always found the time to do it with Dormammu. Use Jam Session to eat the Hawkeye assist, then lay the mine.

Which reminds me: how does Jam Session interact with most projectile assists? Eats them? Gets hit?

Hawkeye Strider vs. Chris is a fun matchup

Well fun cause Hawkeye wins that shit free.
Most pairs beat individual characters for free, though.

Solune

Felicia has Chaotic Flame now?

I've always found the time to do it with Dormammu. Use Jam Session to eat the Hawkeye assist, then lay the mine.

It was reference to our matches.

Ohhh you mean Flame Carpet. I'm scared to throw out Dante vs rushdown characters. Get happy bdayed alot.

Also I've been losing with my Spencer team alot lately. I think it's time I retire it.

FUCK got Happy bdayed by double X-factor Gimlet.

RE: Chris vs Hawkeye, I think it's even tbh. All comes down to who whiffs their shot first.

Put Chris with anyone I dare you I DOUBLE DOG DARE YOU and it can't beat Hawkeye Strider

vanilla tron assist doesn't count
MODOK Shield Barrier assist!

It was reference to our matches.

Ohhh you mean Flame Carpet. I'm scared to throw out Dante vs rushdown characters. Get happy bdayed alot.

Also I've been losing with my Spencer team alot lately. I think it's time I retire it.

Yeah, I meant that I pushblock people into Flame Carpet. That's usually why I dash back after laying it. Safety net.

Block while calling Jam Session so if he gets hit you can pushblock your opponent out.

Ooo, if people are playing, I'll watch more! :-D

onionfrog

That Seriously made my night. :)

Good Games Solune. You are skilled with many characters.
I really liked:
1. Your raw tag combos with Akuma/Iron Fist/Wesker
2. Beating out Iron Fists Level 3 with Ragnanok
3. Double Gimlet Happy Birthday

Spider-Man team was neat too.

I would keep playing but I've played a ton of Marvel with Gaffers today and I think i need to take a break.

EDIT:
I'm done for the night, and I think Solune is playing RE6.
I'll be back on sometime tomorrow afternoon looking for opponents.

Solune

Yeah, I meant that I pushblock people into Flame Carpet. That's usually why I dash back after laying it. Safety net.

Block while calling Jam Session so if he gets hit you can pushblock your opponent out.

Thanks for the tips sir, will try to incorporate it.
We just finished, going out for bubble tea now.
That Seriously made my night. :)

Good Games Solune. You are skilled with many characters.
I really liked:
1. Your raw tag combos with Akuma/Iron Fist/Wesker
2. Beating out Iron Fists Level 3 with Ragnanok
3. Double Gimlet Happy Birthday

Spider-Man team was neat too.

I would keep playing but I've played a ton of Marvel with Gaffers today and I think i need to take a break.

Thanks! I'm only ok, I would still like to be good with more characters! I'm having the most fun with Akuma/IF/Wesker right now. Unblockables and left/right mixups everywhere. It's not optimized at all and winning with gimmicks but, I'm having fun.

I need a new Vergil team if I'm going to drop Spencer/Doom though. Thinking about Hulk and another, maybe Nova.

When you do the Felicia reset into Strider, you can try to lockdown but canceling toy touch into her Cat Spike H so that they don't tech out.

onionfrog

When you do the Felicia reset into Strider, you can try to lockdown but canceling toy touch into her Cat Spike H so that they don't tech out.
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to practice this in training mode and see if I can incorporate it. I should also practice combining after her level 3.

Yes on both counts -- as much as possible.

Vanilla:

Parker/Stark/Kinney --> Parker/Masters/Kinney

Ultimate:

Parker/Barton/Kinney
(and just now) Parker/Barton/Sparda. Potentially Parker/Masters/Sparda if I don't find something cheap enough with the new set.

Also, went to ze local comiccon today and won the tourney using Movie Team for the majority of the tourney. Prize was some 2ft she-hulk statue. I have no idea what to do with it, and that team is pretty funny. They had a Storm one and a Stark one I would've rather had but eh, prizes gonna prize.

yoVM9.jpg

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=6836&ref=preview_page

THANK YOU...WONDERMAN.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Anymore advice for lil ol me?

edit- man I love those super expensive statues. if I ever become rich and famous I'll probably end up using all of my money on those

FSLink

Banned
Anyone up for some sets on PS3? amodestproposal is my PSN
Recording setup is down right now so I can't record our matches, but yeah. :p

Solune

Vergil/Hulk sounds bad unless you put drones or HM in there.

We just had a Magneto infinite on Hazmat stream.

Hmm you may be right, I would need to test it out in some matches. If I want Vergil 2nd, I need a new point man... Maybe Felicia but she uses her ground bounce. Viper sounds enticing but execution wise is pretty scary for me. Ugh I HATE HAVING A TEAM DILEMMA.

Hmm you may be right, I would need to test it out in some matches. If I want Vergil 2nd, I need a new point man... Maybe Felicia but she uses her ground bounce. Viper sounds enticing but execution wise is pretty scary for me. Ugh I HATE HAVING A TEAM DILEMMA.
What's it matter if Felicia uses her ground bounce?

And you have excellent execution.

Why do you need a new Vergil team, anyway?

Good games SlasherMcGirk.
I need to learn to respect maya shield, hulk stand H and hulks AA assist ALOT more.

Your order in the court->gamma crush DHC is very effective, I'm surprised hulk is in range for gamma crush when you DHC. Plus it works as a happy birthday! Also nice unblockable setups.

Very impressive phoenix wright, the best I've played. Very nice turnabout mode combos. That maya shield... Arg..
After a few matches i realized that trying to keep you out only worked to a certain extent. Many times you were still able to get all 3 pieces of evidence while i was trying to keep you out, and then things were not in my favor. I also liked how you were able to land an objection and continue into a sick combo with wright.

Bravo for making me afraid of phoenix wright. You do him great justice.

I'm slightly disappointed that I didn't get at least one win. You beat me 15-0. :( It was tons of fun though!

Good lord, it's like I'm reading something that I wrote myself. These were the exact same things I experienced when fighting him. It was kind of interesting that I could actually recognize myself thinking and strategizing different ways to handle him but in the end I couldn't reach a conclusion. I got 20-0, so don't feel too bad. XD

As for the Vanilla team question, my Vanilla team was Hsien-Ko/Morrigan/Felicia. Pre-release, I wanted to use Hsien-Ko, Chun-Li and Ammy, but Ammy was too odd for me to get used to and Chun-Li felt extremely unwieldy compared to her Tatsunoko vs. Capcom version which I LOVED. I absolutely hated Vanilla's roster since I'm the kind of person who chooses the characters they actually like. I tried Taskmaster and Shuma-Gorath since they had unique dialogue with Hsien-Ko (who I did enjoy, even if she was terrible) but that didn't last too long. I settled on the Darkstalkers and actually did enjoy using the team. In fact, if Phoenix Wright wasn't in UMvC3 I'd be using the Darkstalkers now most likely. Once he was announced I worked hard to learn Ammy during the last weeks of Vanilla and I've been using the 3 ever since. It's a shame Hsien-Ko never got the balancing she deserved, but what can you do?

Azure J

Play Viper, keep Vergil, add Strider thus running Spy Never Strides to be the PSN alt universe version of myself playing Spy May Stride. :p

Good lord, it's like I'm reading something that I wrote myself. These were the exact same things I experienced when fighting him. It was kind of interesting that I could actually recognize myself thinking and strategizing different ways to handle him but in the end I couldn't reach a conclusion. I got 20-0, so don't feel too bad. XD

As for the Vanilla team question, my Vanilla team was Hsien-Ko/Morrigan/Felicia. Pre-release, I wanted to use Hsien-Ko, Chun-Li and Ammy, but Ammy was too odd for me to get used to and Chun-Li felt extremely unwieldy compared to her Tatsunoko vs. Capcom version which I LOVED. I absolutely hated Vanilla's roster since I'm the kind of person who chooses the characters they actually like. I tried Taskmaster and Shuma-Gorath since they had unique dialogue with Hsien-Ko (who I did enjoy, even if she was terrible) but that didn't last too long. I settled on the Darkstalkers and actually did enjoy using the team. In fact, if Phoenix Wright wasn't in UMvC3 I'd be using the Darkstalkers now most likely. Once he was announced I worked hard to learn Ammy during the last weeks of Vanilla and I've been using the 3 ever since. It's a shame Hsien-Ko never got the balancing she deserved, but what can you do?
What's your PSN? I don't see you on the spreadsheet.

Play Viper, keep Vergil, add Strider thus running Spy Never Strides to be the PSN alt universe version of myself playing Spy May Stride. :p
Boy I sure would love that. -_-

Solune

I made quite a few transitions in Vanilla Marvel, Chris/Zero/Dante became my main team.

Stuck with my main team Spencer/Vergil/Doom every since Ultimate came out though.
What's it matter if Felicia uses her ground bounce?

And you have excellent execution.

Why do you need a new Vergil team, anyway?
It's harder to maximize SS DHC when using the ground bounce already.

Haha thanks, I sure don't show it when we play though!

Well you're to blame since ever since I played you I've had this team crisis =p.

Haha that might not actually be a bad idea, but I can't do staircase loops plinking HS constantly is hard. Still not fond of Vergil + Vajra. Gonna train right now at any rate.

Top Bottom