• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

I was checking the OT1 posts when I got the game urleh and people were going crazy, posting gifs and reacting to all the info, which in retrospect, didn't amount to much (PW's 1+ million Level 1 XF Level 3).

Just wanted to say how much I love you guys. Mahvel GAF is best GAF.

Horribly old and horribly outdated:
Just put my head on the back of a milk carton. You can write the world "salty" in big red letters.
Hey remember when everyone got banned? lol
Wasn't there a time when everyone switched avatars? That was pretty insane. I think there was also a time when everyone was God's Beard. I could be wrong about the latter.

Azure J

"Moves that should be assists" is my favorite part of the Marvel cycle.

Oh we're doing this?

- Viper Optic Laser replaces Thunder Knuckle H
- Felicia Toy Touch replaces Cat Spike
- Dormammu gets fixed Purification (1st frame active, tracking), Flame Carpet and Dark Matter replacing all of his current assists.
- Magneto Hyper Grav changed to H version and Gravitation replaces Force Field
- Strider Formation A (Tiger) and C (Bird Bomb) replace Gram and Ame-no-Murakamo
- Phoenix gets TK Shot H instead of M and TK Trap M instead of H
- Trish Hopscotch OTGs
- Amaterasu gets Cold Shots M over Bloom, keeps Cold Shots H and the last assist is a toss up between Thunder Edge L, Power Slash L or Power Slash M replacing the dreadful Solar Flare
- Firebrand gets Bon Voyage (good for zoning teams) replacing Demon Missile Charge
- Morrigan gets Soul Drain to replace Soul Fist L
- Iron Man gets Repulsar Blast - Spread followup
- Hsien-Ko gets Henkyo Ki changed to H version, starts in front of point character, Anki Hou changed to H version, items hit overhead/High
- Hulk gets Incredible Punch
- Strange's Daggers of Denak can OTG, active faster (Hidden Magical Missiles?)
- Ryu gets Baku Hadoken replacing Hadoken & Hadoshoryuken replacing Shoryuken
- Nova gets Energy Javelin replacing Gravimetric Shield
- Deadpool's Trigger Happy assist changed to L version
- Chris gets Magnum

And for troll buffs in the assist department:

- Assists in general reverted back to Vanilla rules regarding HSD, damage scaling rules as per Ultimate still hold, no invincible assists.
- Dante's Crystal goes into Million Carats, Weasel Shot replaced with Reverb Shock - Fireworks
- Hawkeye gets Piercing Shot replacing Triple Arrow
- Vergil gets Round Trip replacing Judgement Cut
- Chun Li gets Hazanshu (Ground Bounces jumping characters/OTGs/Fast Anti-air) replacing Kihoken, and EX Spinning Bird Kick replacing Tenshokyaku
- MODOK gets EX Barrier
- Joe tosses charged Voomerangs

I was initially going to run through my thoughts on the assist picks and substitutions, but as this post went on I said fuck it, I'm taking too long already. :lol

I'll explain anything if you want to hear it.

There's a good theme. Take the "Days of Future Past" poster and put all of our avatars on it, and write stuff below each of us.

I like this.

I'm also thinking that it might be time to retire my avatar.

Azure J

Wasn't there a time when everyone switched avatars? That was pretty insane. I think there was also a time when everyone was God's Beard. I could be wrong about the latter.

I remember both of these just because I was talking with Enzo thinking it was you for a bit and God's Beard's Goodnight Punpun avatar is iconic as hell for a ManGAF member like me. :p

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hey remember when everyone got banned? lol
;_;

I was banned during the launch of MvC3 AND UMvC3.

Yeah I stole your avatar and it started this community-wide domino effect haha

You have good taste in avatars though, so I ain't even mad.

I don't quite get this one, since sand splash assist OTG's now. They should give her a meter building assist using the animation she does on point(d.d.H), but as effective/fast as dark harmonizer...
No one gets Dark Harmonizer but Morrigan.

No one.

Give Felicia Delta Kick H as an assist.

Edit: No one.

Dahbomb

Felicia with a meter assist makes total sense, she even has an on point equivalent. Will do Storm changes after the YBO top 8.

Felicia with a meter assist makes total sense, she even has an on point equivalent. Will do Storm changes after the YBO top 8.
Oh sure, just not as good as Dark Harmonizer's, y'know? Amaterasu / Frank West tier is fine.

And why do you make me wait for your Dormammu changes? :-(

Azure J

Jet, I seriously couldn't play a good match with you tonight. Never mind lack of warmup, I just was not ready for the input delay there. I hate saying things like this because it makes it sound like I'm making excuses for losing, but I really couldn't get anything started for a lot of those rounds (especially with Viper there) and it really kinda soured my experience. You have some good stuff with the Sparda Bros though. Did not think that you could delay Vergil's Trick H from a Helmbreaker long enough for cross up setups with Crystal assist or that Round Trip if not push blocked led to the dirtiest cross under Vajra knockdown setup I've seen in a long time.

GGs nonetheless.

I don't quite get this one, since sand splash assist OTG's now. They should give her a meter building assist using the animation she does on point(d.d.H), but as effective/fast as dark harmonizer...

Funny thing is when I made that, I was thinking about it being a quick Low more than for its OTG properties. Delta Kick H being a high though sounds mighty fun.

Marz

Someone on SRK asked for my next 5 best assists for Dormammu after my top 5, so I thought I'd post it here too and see what folks think:

Top 5 for reference:
1) Hidden Missiles
2) EM Disruptor
3) Jam Session
4) Dark Harmonizer
5) Plasma Beam

It gets shaky after top 5, but I'd go...
6. Double Lariat
7. Unibeam
8. Rapid Slash
9. Eye of Agamotto
10. Mystic Ray

After that, there's a lot of same-y stuff. Shopping Cart, Tatsu, Hulk Gamma Charge AA, and Rising Dragon are all kind of doing the same thing, and none are especially better at it than any other. Bolts of Balthakk is interesting for its versatility, Vajra is solid, and since you're considering Bolts, which has notable weaknesses, you can start considering multi-hitting projectiles like Dagger Toss and arrow assists, and Sentinel Force comes in somewhere around here because while it's very useful and versatile, it's also hard as hell for Dormammu to call in certain matchups that are also popular characters (Magneto, Wesker, twins). I think "Get em Missile!" is interesting to consider at around this point, because it hits low, and Dormammu is all over the air. Chain of Rebuttal is probably around Bolts of Balthakk, Cold Star is around Tatsu's level, and then, lastly, you have the "only useful for combo extension" stuff like Tenderizer and Chun-li's lightning legs. It's hard to rank Senpu Bu because it wouldn't be fair to judge an assist that takes a bar of meter, which is a metagame consequence, compared to other assists that don't, but I'd probably rank Senpu Bu under the four "get off me" assists I listed above.

No way will you get me to put that all in a list, haha, but I think it covers every assist you'd ever want to use with Dormammu, though I might have missed one in there somewhere.

So if Hidden Missiles and EMD are so good for Dorm, why don't people play him on point more backed by those two.

Then you can play Doom second instead of on anchor where he's lacking.

So if Hidden Missiles and EMD are so good for Dorm, why don't people play him on point more backed by those two.

Because Dormammu often can't survive the first 5 seconds of the match against characters like Wolverine.

Hence why FChamp plays Magneto/Dormammu/Doom, and DHCs from Magnetic Shockwave to Stalking Flare. If he gets to do this, he almost always wins. Even ChrisG knows that he has to rush Magneto with with Morrigan because it's so dangerous.

Zissou

He has problems establishing space at the beginning of the match, so people don't usually run dorm first.

edit:beaten

Why has Champ not been playing Missiles?
Because he'll never get a call off against Plasma Beam.

Hidden Missiles is really good, but it's dominating the scene because no one is using beam assists. Beams rocks Hidden Missiles, which is why I eventually stopped using it for Dormammu. It's the same reason Hawkeye > Dormammu + Hidden Missiles.

Edit:
It would be great if those matches sobered people up about Dormammu in general, but I doubt it.

FSLink

Banned
Anyone up for some more sets?
Been practicing my Wolverine/Spencer/Akuma team. >_>

PSN: amodestproposal
Just send me an invite.

Dorm isn't top 5 but he's top 10. And he isn't the only character in the top 10 with bad match ups.
Sure, like Wesker can't handle Doom. The difference is that Wesker can use Vajra to fix that problem and it's a dominating assist for him, while Dormammu needs Double Lariat just to survive the first 5 seconds against Wolverine.

I'm fine with top 10, though. Just not top 5. Assuming that poor ranking method.

Solune

I was checking the OT1 posts when I got the game urleh and people were going crazy, posting gifs and reacting to all the info, which in retrospect, didn't amount to much (PW's 1+ million Level 1 XF Level 3).

Just wanted to say how much I love you guys. Mahvel GAF is best GAF.

Horribly old and horribly outdated:
Still horribly accurate!
That's be 1D2C. Only 1D2C and 2D1C come out after frame 1. 1D1C does not, but it still covers a huge part of the screen and would be a vicious tool.
Oops, Thought both meteors were 1 frame, it would extremely powerful indeed.
Whenever people post pictures of WRPG women, I have to think they're joking. The uncanny vally is just...uggghhh. Until graphics are as real as reality, I prefer some stylization.

If I were to participate in that thread, I would be called a "breast fetishist" like that one fellow.

Top 5 ladies in gaming to me (no particular order):
1) Morrigan
2) Dragon's Crown Sorceress
3) Selvaria Bles
4) Bayonetta
5) Tifa Lockhart

My type is pretty apparent. I thought about posting pictures, but decided against it. Amusingly enough, there's a Skyrim mod to make your character look like the DC Sorceress. What a dedicated fanbase for a game that barely exists!
That's a good list, I'm surprised BoF2 Nina didn't make the cut.

My list would be something like
1) Freya (Valkyrie Profile)
2) Gwendolyn (Odin Sphere)
3) Nephenee (Fire Emblem)
4) Nina (BoF2)
5) Aurica (Ar Tonelico)

Of course there's tons of characters where I'd say, "yup" on a whim.
...Goodnight...Punpun?
Manga by Asano, if you're into that at all. It's highly recommended.
Care to explain? :)

Makes the best CC I suppose.

Oops, Thought both meteors were 1 frame, it would extremely powerful indeed.
Haha, that it would.

That's a good list, I'm surprised BoF2 Nina didn't make the cut.
Oh, I was thinking about semi-modern girls. I even hesitated to put Tifa on there. I had a childhood crush on Cammy even before Nina, in that case.

My list would be something like
1) Freya (Valkyrie Profile)
2) Gwendolyn (Odin Sphere)
3) Nephenee (Fire Emblem)
4) Nina (BoF2)
5) Aurica (Ar Tonelico)

Of course there's tons of characters where I'd say, "yup" on a whim.
Good taste. Nephenee seems like the odd girl out. I can see you have a type, too. I love Odin's Sphere.

Manga by Asano, if you're into that at all. It's highly recommended.
Oh, probably not. I prefer to watch anime. Manga is too expensive.

No one gets hyped for Rog's team.
It's like Zero May Cry. Amazing point character followed by a fantastic assist, and then Vergil slapped on the end for comebacks. Plus all three characters have won plenty of tournaments. /shrug

Zissou

It's crazy to me that in the Justin vs. PR rog canada cup grand finals, Justin NEVER snapped in Vergil once he'd taken care of wolverine. Against anchor vergil it seems better to focus on taking out their first character and then slowing down the pace of the match once that goal is accomplished and they have no great neutral assist anymore.

Taking control and waiting for your chance to snap Vergil seems preferable to dealing with dark vergil nonsense. Anchor vergil is just phoenix except you don't have to save as much bar for him.

Dahbomb

It's crazy to me that in the Justin vs. PR rog canada cup grand finals, Justin NEVER snapped in Vergil once he'd taken care of wolverine. Against anchor vergil it seems better to focus on taking out their first character and then slowing down the pace of the match once that goal is accomplished and they have no great neutral assist anymore.

Taking control and waiting for your chance to snap Vergil seems preferable to dealing with dark vergil nonsense. Anchor vergil is just phoenix except you don't have to save as much bar for him.
I was surprised at this too and in the first match against PRRog today he had a chance to snap in Vergil but didn't. He even did the Storm infinite building him 5 bars. Things worked out for him but that's not something he should be doing on a regular basis.

Zissou

I was surprised at this too and in the first match against PRRog today he had a chance to snap in Vergil but didn't. He even did the Storm infinite building him 5 bars. Things worked out for him but that's not something he should be doing on a regular basis.

It seems especially crazy since justin's team has such great welcome mix-ups and vergil is limited in his escape options.

Top Bottom