• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Heh, I've though about a Devil Trigger like mode for Trish and would love for her to have one, but I didn't want to go overboard on my wishes for my characters. :p
I think she kind of needs it. Or needs something. She's not a bad character, but she's kind of unimpressive, and nothing about her stands out because while her traps are awesome, she can't do a whole lot while sitting behind them.

Trish had a Devil Trigger in DMC2 (sort of).
Yep.

Solune

I picked Strange for the worst of the newcomers. Technically I was just listing his point viability, though, and that's still a legit claim! :p
I would agree with that, no air dash and stubby ass normals make for a poor neutral game. His moveset is quite unorthodox.
Makes sense. It's kind of funny that this game has so many swords, but no females wielding them.
Could've been solved in various ways, Magik, Psylocke, Lt. Kurosawa, Akane Yagyu (Onimusha)
I have Netflix.
Visit the anime thread sometime, would like to see your detailed impressions on some shows you've seen recently.

Now, that Strange's support ability is known, let us see the Skrull/Strange duos appear.

Nova isn't top ten. Top twenty fifteen yeah.
I shudder when I see Skrull, just can't deal with him.
Maybe. It would certainly make me feel better about my losses to him. lol

When did Trish become a man? :p

Haha, I wish Lady was playable since she looks way better in DMC4

I would agree with that, no air dash and stubby ass normals make for a poor neutral game. His moveset is quite unorthodox.
After seeing him a lot more, I think he'd be fine if his dashes were a little better and he had a reliable blockstring.

Could've been solved in various ways, Magik, Psylocke, Lt. Kurosawa, Akane Yagyu (Onimusha)
Or even BoFI Nina!

Visit the anime thread sometime, would like to see your detailed impressions on some shows you've seen recently.
Naw, I only watch a few things here and there. Going through Darker than Black and Deathnote right now. Then I'm not sure what I want to see. They're both on hold because I'm watching a lot of Desperate Housewives.

I shudder when I see Skrull, just can't deal with him.
Skrull is exactly like Dormammu. You just need to get in on him ASAP and never let go. Everything he has that's scary relies on you being predicted.

Haha, I wish Lady was playable since she looks way better in DMC4
This game has enough guns!

Frantic

Trish had a Devil Trigger in DMC2 (sort of).
It was just a yellow glow around her, wasn't it? Think she also put her sunglasses on, though I don't really remember. I don't remember much of DMC2, to be honest.

I think she kind of needs it. Or needs something. She's not a bad character, but she's kind of unimpressive, and nothing about her stands out because while her traps are awesome, she can't do a whole lot while sitting behind them.
I understand what you mean, but IMO she needs something stronger to press forward with than an improvement to her traps. Her rushdown game is better than her keepaway/zoning game since she has very strong high/lows, but against a character like Hawkeye or Magneto who can just sit back and chuck projectiles, she's pretty free because she doesn't have anything to push forward and hassle them with. She also needs some sort of follow up off her airthrow to prevent upback.

I mainly use her traps as a footsie tool, and it works out in my favor most of the time. Just doesn't help against characters that can keep her out.

If I made DMC5 it'd be about Vergil coming back from the dead by taking over Nero's body and stealing the Sparda Sword while Dante's in a pizza coma. And you'd play as VergilNelo Angelo vs Dante, Lady and Trish. Boss battles only.

X23 instead of Zero? Epic Fail.

This is the third time in the past year that I've made a tier list and forgot that Zero exists LOL

And X-23 is clearly the best character in the game after Magneto. :D

Zissou

I think IM is better. He at least has great support value with two fantastic assists, a practical infinite, and a damaging hyper for dhc/thc purposes. He can be scary with high lows up close (if he ever manages to get there) and can do strong mid screen space control with his specials and long range normals. He can also convert off of hits at various jump heights into full combos. He has very high damage with his optimized combos. Both characters are difficult to use. Jill probably has more specific team construction issues. Jill's usefulness is constrained to near the ground and she often needs resets to kill. He support value is limited to a good alpha counter. I don't see how it's any real contest.

I think IM is better. He at least has great support value with two fantastic assists, a practical infinite, and a damaging hyper for dhc/thc purposes. He can be scary with high lows up close (if he ever manages to get there) and can do strong mid screen space control with his specials and long range normals. He can also convert off of hits at various jump heights into full combos. He has very high damage with his optimized combos. Both characters are difficult to use. Jill probably has more specific team construction issues. Jill's usefulness is constrained to near the ground and she often needs resets to kill. He support value is limited to a good alpha counter. I don't see how it's any real contest.
Definitely Jill. Iron Man has better hypers, better assists, better normals and a reliable TAC infinite.
This is why I post here. We all have our disagreements, but none of you are morons. <3

Gonna give Nova another shot, should I have him 2nd or 3rd? Zero/Dante/Nova or Zero/Nova/Dante?
Nova second.

My wife and I's Halloween pumpkins. Can you guess who's is who's?
LF0Ve.jpg

YikPO.jpg

That first one would make a good avatar...

Dahbomb

IM does not have better hypers than Jill, just a better lvl3.

IM is a better team player but Jill is a better point rushdown character. Her ground mobility shits all over IMs, she actually has an invincible hyper, a powerful reversal option and the top 5 mix ups in the game. Her damage is also not that bad and she can set up raw tag combos for more damage. Her 3 biggest flaws are lack of good assists, no air game aside from a knee dive and non existent conversion from throws. Oh and a lvl3 that is irrelevant.

Dahbomb

What the hell does that even mean?

Jill has better mix ups than Wesker and Spencer for sure and certainly better than Vergils. She has teleport mix ups and a command throw plus an actual high low game unlike Vergil. If she had solo conversions off of throws her mix ups would eclipse those characters in mix ups by a mile.

I'm saying that she can't use those mixups as often as better characters. Even simple low or throw mixups will wind up being better than Jill's stuff because of how effective it is for more mobile characters with stronger confirms.

Dahbomb

Jill has no trouble getting in under an assist and mixing someone up. She has a slide, a very fast ground dash, command dashes and her arrow kick to get in. She has Unibeam backing her up and it's mix up city. Those characters have easier to apply mix ups due to the way their teleports/dashes work compared to Feral stance but that doesn't make their mix ups better.

If I was in an oki situation against either Vergil or Jill.. I would rather deal with Vergil.

And top 5 mix up characters are Viper, Firebrand, Rocket Raccoon, Jill and Strider. The first 3 have mix ups that can't be blocked among other very hard to block stuff.

Zissou

It'd be fun to make an opening gambit tier list. Could anybody de-throne logan? Viper has ex seismo which always commands respect. Haggar has air and ground command throws, lariat, and regular throws, all of which lead to damaging combos. How the hell would you tier MODOK though...

Azure J

All I have to say about opening gambits is that Standing Hulk is the unstoppable force online. You know what he wants, he knows what you want and it's always the same outcome everytime. A quick game of Mario Party (mash that H) until you get lucky or he does. :lol

That out of the way, I trimmed a little something out of an old video for good use. I believe it was God's Beard asking about optimal Dante combos, well here's the one you want to work towards whenever you get back to playing him.

Mostly inspired by this Shot Loop tutorial. Ugh, I wanna make more videos soon.

Gonna give Nova another shot, should I have him 2nd or 3rd? Zero/Dante/Nova or Zero/Nova/Dante?

Yipes's Nova is derp primary because of the Bolts assist, it's going to be hard for you to be as dangerous with Nova + Jam Session. So the first is probably the better order.

Frantic

Mostly inspired by this Shot Loop tutorial. Ugh, I wanna make more videos soon.
I never hold forward and I can do shot loops. am i magic?
Probably why I can't do max shot loops, thinking about it now.

Either way, forget hard comboz and have something lazy. Lazy Dante combos

I'm working on an actual video, I swear. Going to be a video on my team, focusing on combos, mixups and resets for all three characters. I have the combos mostly recorded, but I hate recording mixups and resets since they're not as straight forward to record as combos are, and I always end up deconstructing them to find all the little nuances. Then I usually end up finding more mixups/reset potential and I end up losing five hours in training mode and didn't get any footage recorded. It's irritating.

Vice

Time for some real talk...

Is Nova top 10 caliber?

He's proven to be a top tier character from tournament results. He has synergy with other top tiers, great damage and only a few drawbacks in his unsafe moves. He's great at controlling the screen against other top point characters and he's not too bad as a battery.

His biggest problem is he's almost always seen with Spencer so his synergy with other characters isn't explored as much but a team like Nova/Vergil/Strider is a menace to most most of the game.

ILL Virtue

Neo Member
GGs sollune! I was so sick of playing scrubs with shitty connections. I'm glad u were on. R u wired? Our matches were silky smooth for the most part. Sry I had to leave... I am coming off of working a 16 hour shift...

I like all of your team synergy. And I like that u are skilled with so many diff chars. Fun games man!

Azure J

Had a long set with AceKillah from SRK just now and I have now added someone to the "snap in, airtight mixup and kill at all costs" crew. Iron Man. Unibeam assist with teleporting sword dudes dancing around my head is absurd. He also makes Zero horribly unblockable. :lol

I never hold forward and I can do shot loops. am i magic?
Probably why I can't do max shot loops, thinking about it now.

Either way, forget hard comboz and have something lazy. Lazy Dante combos

I'm working on an actual video, I swear. Going to be a video on my team, focusing on combos, mixups and resets for all three characters. I have the combos mostly recorded, but I hate recording mixups and resets since they're not as straight forward to record as combos are, and I always end up deconstructing them to find all the little nuances. Then I usually end up finding more mixups/reset potential and I end up losing five hours in training mode and didn't get any footage recorded. It's irritating.

Funny part is for a long time I didn't hold forward either and could still do 4 2s and 1 8 shot rep. I don't even know if I read it or just tried it initially but whenever I first did the hold forward trick was also the first time I found out how many reps you could do at max.

Finally, I know what you mean even though my mixups are lacking. Resets I'm having fun with just because Dante's HSD is a hilariously bittersweet thing. If you know how to control whenever characters are going to flip out, you pretty much have resets down with him. Still need to work on the rest of the current team and hopefully put something out later. Maybe your vid will be a good inspiration. :p

Solune

GGs Ill, Got owned by Iron Man , I don't even know how to feel. And you are more skilled than me haha. And no worries, I'd be sleeping if I were you, or not. Gonna maul over my team. Also that Strange combo was so damn sick. My favorite team of yours is Dorm/Strange/Shuma. Edit: Yes I am wired, I've tried playing wireless back in '08, never again.

I'm definitely dropping Spencer/Doom now after tonight

#Ican'tanymore

Thinking of Team DMC, Team Brotherhood, or something completely different. Feel free to shoot me suggestions.

Azurebro thinks I should play team DrewGrimey aka Spy May Stride, but I'm looking to anchor Vergil.

Tirael

Got some amazingly simple BnBs down with my tertiary team. Then looked Felicia up on SRK.

Do I REALLY need to learn to do jump loops with her?

Nova hits like a GROWN ASS MAN, and Skrull's combos are babby mode easy, so no worries there.

(For reference, my BnB with Felicia is j. Delta Kick, M, cr.H, S, j. MMH, j. Delta Kick, Rolling Buckler, Neko Punch, Hyper.)

FSLink

Banned
Yipes's Nova is derp primary because of the Bolts assist, it's going to be hard for you to be as dangerous with Nova + Jam Session. So the first is probably the better order.

Yeah but Nova + Dante assist would mean he could use that Team Hyper Combo with Million Dollars to do mixups when he has two bars.

Bizazedo

Are these games on XBL?

/needs to turn it back on, readng about it is firing the senses again.

And I am so happy the opinion on Nova rose. I was hollering about him since I became a fanboy after his intro video. Vindication!.

Nova / Vergil works pretty well, too, but the combo timing is tiiiiight...

Zero / Nova / Dante is a really good team and what I would play if I could use Dante. My handicapped hands :(.

Either order works, though, especially if you can do lightning loops, because Nova is scary as Dark Nova. Like, better than Wesker imo because he kills faster.

onionfrog

Got some amazingly simple BnBs down with my tertiary team. Then looked Felicia up on SRK.

Do I REALLY need to learn to do jump loops with her?

(For reference, my BnB with Felicia is j. Delta Kick, M, cr.H, S, j. MMH, j. Delta Kick, Rolling Buckler, Neko Punch, Hyper.)

You'll want to be able to do one set of jump loops at least, so you can get full combos off her command grabs and air throws.

Like:
Command Grab -> toy touch(df.M) j.MMHS s.S j . MMH H delta kick s.H c.H j.HS.
OR:
Command Grab -> toy touch j.MMH H delta kick s.H c.H s.S j. MMHS. (I use this when my timing is off or in xf when the normal jump loop doesn't seem to work)

You should also practice OTGing with H sand splash and canceling that into Dancing Flash.

Ideally, I like to save my meter for kitty helper. You can get some devious high lows and solo unblockable with it.(Kitty helper + rolling buckler m slide). also the kitty helper has saved my ass numerous times as a combo breaker.

You can use a horizontal assist + cat crawl (atk+s) for mixups.

Charge meter with d.d.H when you can. (In between kills or covered by an assist.

Also if you didn't know, you can determine where her level 3 hits by holding l m or h. L will hit point blank, M mid screen, and H almost full screen.

EDIT: You should use her dp L infinite in xf3, Karst keeps telling me that I should use it more.

I'll edit this post if I can think of anything else useful.

If I was in an oki situation against either Vergil or Jill.. I would rather deal with Vergil.

We're in agreement on this, I'm just saying Magneto is gonna get a mixup situation way more often than Jill, which makes him more effective. You're saying that best = hardest to block, and I'm saying it's most useful.

What are all the atypical team structures that you can think of? Typical being Point/Support/Anchor with good DHCs and general synergy where the objective is just fight it out through good zoning or rushdown.

Here's what I can think of:

Phoenix teams(holding back on meter)
TAC X-23 teams(mashing the fuck out of air tag)
Firebrand Snap Loop(300% combos)
Dark Harmony: Karst(get dem hypers)
Dark Harmony: Asgard(get dem guard cancels)
Dark Harmony: Sparda(get dem infinite chip blockstrings)

I'm still waiting for a team that's really good at forcing time-outs. Ammy's counter assist should give her slowdown for her THC.

Dahbomb

We're in agreement on this, I'm just saying Magneto is gonna get a mixup situation way more often than Jill, which makes him more effective. You're saying that best = hardest to block, and I'm saying it's most useful.
Well that is where we get into tiers. I would never rate Jill over Magneto because Magneto has vastly superior mobility and even some zoning options. Likewise I would never rate Jill over Vergil because he has huge normals and powerful utility hypers that allow him to get in a position to inflict mix ups.

My criteria was that if a character puts you in a situation where you have to block... how likely is it that the character can open you up. For the first 3 in my top 5, the likelihood of those 3 opening you up if you blocked Cold Shots reaches up to 100%.

Yeah but Nova + Dante assist would mean he could use that Team Hyper Combo with Million Dollars to do mixups when he has two bars.

ggs yesterday. sorry i couldnt really put up much of a fight, and i swear i didnt RQ on you lol. i've dropped matches with other gaffers before due to my crappy isp

Tirael

[Felicia advice]

Oh wow, thanks for all the help, I didn't expect to get help at all, much less this robust.

I knew about d. d. H and Cat Crawl, I'll certainly incorporate them.

You've sold me on jump loops, (and the command grab,) I'll get to work on it. Thanks!

Azure J

You'll want to be able to do one set of jump loops at least, so you can get full combos off her command grabs and air throws.

Like:
Command Grab -> toy touch(df.M) j.MMHS s.S j . MMH H delta kick s.H c.H j.HS.
OR:
Command Grab -> toy touch j.MMH H delta kick s.H c.H s.S j. MMHS. (I use this when my timing is off or in xf when the normal jump loop doesn't seem to work)

You should also practice OTGing with H sand splash and canceling that into Dancing Flash.

Ideally, I like to save my meter for kitty helper. You can get some devious high lows and solo unblockable with it.(Kitty helper + rolling buckler m slide). also the kitty helper has saved my ass numerous times as a combo breaker.

You can use a horizontal assist + cat crawl (atk+s) for mixups.

Charge meter with d.d.H when you can. (In between kills or covered by an assist.

Also if you didn't know, you can determine where her level 3 hits by holding l m or h. L will hit point blank, M mid screen, and H almost full screen.

EDIT: You should use her dp L infinite in xf3, Karst keeps telling me that I should use it more.

I'll edit this post if I can think of anything else useful.

Say, would you like to contribute some of this to a new Felicia section of the character training regimen document I'm (slacking on) working on?

onionfrog

Bizazedo

Played a little (OKAY, a lot) of Nova / Doom / Wesker over the weekend. I've never, ever played with a horizontal beam assist before and it felt borderline cheating.

But, much like Dante, I suck with Doom, so I was eyeballing other characters to use, be it second or as anchor.

Strange, I thought this morning?

And then I hear Yipes won with him and I go FUCK since it'll look like I bit off him.

are there any good general magneto tutorials online? and any tutorials on how to do the marlinpie doom swag combo?

also, these are the teams I run so far, any advice on if I should switch anything? (order, assists, etc..)

primary team:
Ryu (hadoken)
Dormammu (dark hole)
Doom (missiles)

2nd team:
Spencer (slant shot)
Magneto (not sure which one yet)
Doom (missiles) team

3rd team:
Akuma (tatsu)
Magneto (???)
Doom (missiles)

Azure J

Sure! I thought these character training regimen documents were pretty neat when you guys first brought up the idea. I'll add my stuff to it when I get a chance.

EDIT: It won't load on my phone, I'll try it later at home.

Has Karst done sections for dormammu and morrigan? If not I think he should.

He did add a lot to the Dormammu section, but I still have yet to format it like I did with the Dante, Viper, & Strider sections.

are there any good general magneto tutorials online? and any tutorials on how to do the marlinpie doom swag combo?

also, these are the teams I run so far, any advice on if I should switch anything? (order, assists, etc..)

primary team:
Ryu (hadoken)
Dormammu (dark hole)
Doom (missiles)

2nd team:
Spencer (slant shot)
Magneto (not sure which one yet)
Doom (missiles) team

3rd team:
Akuma (tatsu)
Magneto (???)
Doom (missiles)
Have you considered swapping to Akuma/Dormammu/Doom or Magneto/Dormammu/Doom? I worry that Ryu won't be able to protect Missiles well enough while attacking. If you want to stick with Ryu, try experimenting with Plasma Beam.

Top Bottom