• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I was checking the OT1 posts when I got the game urleh and people were going crazy, posting gifs and reacting to all the info, which in retrospect, didn't amount to much (PW's 1+ million Level 1 XF Level 3).

Just wanted to say how much I love you guys. Mahvel GAF is best GAF.

Horribly old and horribly outdated:

Great times. Haha. Definitely.

BTW, I'm afraid of Smash GAF atm.

Hey remember when everyone got banned? lol

Indeed. It was tragic day when it happened.

Dahbomb

Scans of the character ALTs were posted and people were banned. I was one of them. My one and only GAF ban.

Always thought it would be in a DmC thread....

Azure J

Great times. Haha. Definitely.

BTW, I'm afraid of Smash GAF atm.

This post randomly reminded me, you know what's funny? I came to GAF for Smash GAF in 2008 following the Brawl thread and wound up bouncing around to Fighting GAF/Mahvel GAF when previously all my fighting game experience was about a week or so of playing SF2:Hyper Fighting on the Virtual Console. Strange how things work out.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I don't like losing.

I especially don't like losing to dickheads who teabag and taunt afterwards.

ESPECIALLY when I don't fuck them up afterwards.

Azure J

I don't like losing.

You sound like me playing online and losing to Akuma beam/tatsu because my input was dropped or I just didn't prepare for c.L and then having to deal with "WEAK! WEAK! WEAK!" ad infinitum. :lol

onionfrog

I don't like losing.

This is why I don't play random player matches anymore. Well, that and ending up playing people who are disrespectful and have bad connections.
I just play people from GAF now, Its better competition, a smoother connection(because I haven't played God's Beard yet...) and more fun.

Zissou

I think Dante is fair because I play him, while I think Vergil is dumb. Does that make me a hypocrite?

i am a hypocrite

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
This post randomly reminded me, you know what's funny? I came to GAF for Smash GAF in 2008 following the Brawl thread and wound up bouncing around to Fighting GAF/Mahvel GAF when previously all my fighting game experience was about a week or so of playing SF2:Hyper Fighting on the Virtual Console. Strange how things work out.

Same here, but I played more variable of fighting games, but I never took any of them very serious as I do with MVC3. Despite the fact that I suck.

Azure J

Dante is fairer now. If this was vanilla, you couldn't convince me to not believe I was playing "cheap as fuuuuuuck" shit. :lol

Vergil is still pretty damn derpy though. In other news, Frantic, if you want to try something to verify its validity, I found a way to potentially save your ground bounce and still do the Strider Million Carats extension for Dante. Basically, when you do j.H-Air Play-j.H to set it up, call Strider while delaying the second j.H, dash up then do s.S - TK Million Carats.

Frantic

In other news, Frantic, if you want to try something to verify its validity, I found a way to potentially save your ground bounce and still do the Strider Million Carats extension for Dante. Basically, when you do j.H-Air Play-j.H to set it up, call Strider while delaying the second j.H, dash up then do s.S - TK Million Carats.
It works, but an easier variant is delay the second j.H, then dash up + call Strider s.MS > MC. Does scale damage more, but it's easier to do. If you're near the corner, you can just j.H, Call Strider, s.HS to save your ground bounce too.

I just go for the ground bounce variant because I'm lazy and don't want to drop my combos. :p

Azure J

I've played with a Vergil where he was hitting me H, S, H, S, and for the last three hits of that, he was turned away from me.

Every time I see a Vergil do this, I think of a child getting disciplined with a belt by someone in a blind fury.

Edit: I don't know why, but I can never get dash up M to work post dash during these midscreen combos. Weird.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I didn't read that as Kadey implying a new Marvel game.

I now read that as Kadey implying a new Marvel game.

You can't just walk into here and do that to us Kadey, that's cruelty.

New epiphanies reached with my old teams, working on Wesker/Spencer/Akuma and a new Phoenix team right now so I have something competent to battle Beef with. The Phoenix team is... shocking.

I got an HD recording device that isn't seeing much use since I'm a hipster whose favorite games are almost dead.

I just realized this and it leaves me wondering how I can make better use of it. I've been interested in MahvelGAF particularly because I know there are some strong players with interesting teams and ideas here(Smurf, Karsticles, Killa and Sixfortyfive come to mind). Anyone who is interested in pushing out some weekly matches can discuss it with me here. I'm all about pure game footage with little to no commentary and spectator mode makes recording and putting out footage easy as pie(one of the reasons why I push so hard for lobbies and spectator). Let me know if you guys want to set up some stuff. I'm looking for particularly strong players, not just anyone because my internet makes uploading high quality footage a bit of a chore. Games like Mahvel and SG fly by which makes it much easier on me though.

smurfx

get some go again
wish people would speak louder into their mic's when they send me hate voice mail. i can't hear 95% of the messages.

Nert

I got an HD recording device that isn't seeing much use since I'm a hipster whose favorite games are almost dead.

I just realized this and it leaves me wondering how I can make better use of it. I've been interested in MahvelGAF particularly because I know there are some strong players with interesting teams and ideas here(Smurf, Karsticles, Killa and Sixfortyfive come to mind). Anyone who is interested in pushing out some weekly matches can discuss it with me here. I'm all about pure game footage with little to no commentary and spectator mode makes recording and putting out footage easy as pie(one of the reasons why I push so hard for lobbies and spectator). Let me know if you guys want to set up some stuff. I'm looking for particularly strong players, not just anyone because my internet makes uploading high quality footage a bit of a chore. Games like Mahvel and SG fly by which makes it much easier on me though.

I'm not really on their level, so I don't know if I would qualify, but I play an unorthodox team (Tron/Srkull/Arthur) and I was at least able to hit 1st Lord with it. I'd definitely be interested in joining any lobbies that you might run on Xbox Live if you need more people to fill them up.

I'm pretty good IMHO
awesome
I'm not really on their level, so I don't know if I would qualify, but I play an unorthodox team (Tron/Srkull/Arthur) and I was at least able to hit 1st Lord with it. I'd definitely be interested in joining any lobbies that you might run on Xbox Live if you need more people to fill them up.
I'd like to do mostly 1v1s since I want to show people adapting and I want to see specific playstyles clashing against one another, but lobbies could be fun down the road. I was initially opposed until I just remembered all the good Japanese tournament footage I catch on Jourdal's channel. Multi man lobbies are definitely something I'd like to experiment with.

You and Panda want to go at it? Recording is just a matter of plugging in a few cables and pressing a big red button a couple of times.

Edit: PS3 btw

No one praises the pumpkins? I'm not even going to bother to post the picture of the cake I baked yesterday...

Had a long set with AceKillah from SRK just now and I have now added someone to the "snap in, airtight mixup and kill at all costs" crew. Iron Man. Unibeam assist with teleporting sword dudes dancing around my head is absurd. He also makes Zero horribly unblockable. :lol
My first sparring partner that made me realize I was actually ass at the game used Zero/Iron Man. I played 50 matches with him one day and it was a serious educational experience. I started to win about 30 matches in at a 50/50 rate, and it was like I leveled up off a boss 20 levels above me and gained 10 levels. Zero/Iron Man is so goddamn hard to block.

GGs Ill, Got owned by Iron Man , I don't even know how to feel. And you are more skilled than me haha. And no worries, I'd be sleeping if I were you, or not. Gonna maul over my team. Also that Strange combo was so damn sick. My favorite team of yours is Dorm/Strange/Shuma. Edit: Yes I am wired, I've tried playing wireless back in '08, never again.

I'm definitely dropping Spencer/Doom now after tonight

#Ican'tanymore

Thinking of Team DMC, Team Brotherhood, or something completely different. Feel free to shoot me suggestions.
Damn, major team crisis! Who does Ill back Iron Man with? Also, I think you mean "mull" over your team.

Dormammu/Strange/Shuma is a team you want to burn XF1 on. Strange is mediocre, and Shuma-Gorath is a mid tier anchor at best.

Answer these questions:
1) Who do you want to use on a team?
2) What things are important for you to have on a team (anti-air, beam, etc.)
3) What style of play do you most enjoy playing against?
4) What matchups do you loathe the most?

Played a little (OKAY, a lot) of Nova / Doom / Wesker over the weekend. I've never, ever played with a horizontal beam assist before and it felt borderline cheating.
I know that feeling. Dark Harmonizer to Hidden Missiles is like "wait, I don't have to run?"

Sure! I thought these character training regimen documents were pretty neat when you guys first brought up the idea. I'll add my stuff to it when I get a chance.

EDIT: It won't load on my phone, I'll try it later at home.

Has Karst done sections for dormammu and morrigan? If not I think he should.
I did Dormammu, but I'm not well equipped enough to list out Morrigan stuff.

I don't like losing.

Worst thing ever. Especially in lag.

Marvel hype isn't over. More stuff in the works.
Ooooooo!

I would love to! I'm super busy at the moment, but maybe in a couple weeks? I'd like to get some games in with Ghost Rider.

Azure J

No one praises the pumpkins? I'm not even going to bother to post the picture of the cake I baked yesterday...

I liked them! :lol

FWIW, I saw the first one and thought it was yours immediately, but then I began to second guess thinking you have enough appreciation for humor to be the one responsible for the cheery Jack-O-Lantern. :p

In other news, I really should have experimented more with the dash up midscreen Dante combos in the past. I'm also beginning to wonder how long my backup controller has until I've worn out the control stick from Rapid Seismo training, finding new things with Dante and brushing up on Strider.

Sigmaah

It's about to be a year for this wonderful game. 9 MORE TO GO until we get something new! WOOOOOO. Probably gonna stop playing UMvC3 for a while, gotta play DEM VIDEOGAMES Halo 4 and Blops2.

Solune

I liked them! Also I admire others who can bake/cook.
My first sparring partner that made me realize I was actually ass at the game used Zero/Iron Man. I played 50 matches with him one day and it was a serious educational experience. I started to win about 30 matches in at a 50/50 rate, and it was like I leveled up off a boss 20 levels above me and gained 10 levels. Zero/Iron Man is so goddamn hard to block.
I kind of feel better knowing I'm not only who encountered a loss from Stark. Although that seems to be more of a Zero thing than an Iron Man thing.
Damn, major team crisis! Who does Ill back Iron Man with? Also, I think you mean "mull" over your team.

Dormammu/Strange/Shuma is a team you want to burn XF1 on. Strange is mediocre, and Shuma-Gorath is a mid tier anchor at best.

Answer these questions:
1) Who do you want to use on a team?
2) What things are important for you to have on a team (anti-air, beam, etc.)
3) What style of play do you most enjoy playing against?
4) What matchups do you loathe the most?

Yup major crisis indeed. I don't mind losing, but when I play my main team and I can't even go even, there's something wrong. At least on my end, not with the game itself.

Ill was using Wesker/Magneto, and yes thanks for correcting me.

1. A) Point character that's fast and can operate solo if need be. Does not necessarily require a teleport or tri-dash.
    B) Character that compliments with DHCs and assists 1A
    C) Vergil Anchor, I'm willing to swap 2nd and anchor assist though
  2. Must be able to DHC anywhere in most circumstances. Prefer to use characters that do not get relegated to "support" status aka Hsien-ko.
  3. I like to play rushdown vs rushdown or zoning vs zoning. I feel sometimes it's lopsided when either side gets going first when its rushdown vs zoning.
  4. Have hard time vs tri-dashers and Skrull. Also from alot matches I played yesterday , I seem to have trouble with teams backed with Horizontal Beams.

I liked them! Also I admire others who can bake/cook.
Then I shall post the cake!

I kind of feel better knowing I'm not only who encountered a loss from Stark. Although that seems to be more of a Zero thing than an Iron Man thing.
To be fair to me, it was Vanilla Iron Man. ;-)

Yup major crisis indeed. I don't mind losing, but when I play my main team and I can't even go even, there's something wrong. At least on my end, not with the game itself.
Indeed.

Ill was using Wesker/Magneto, and yes thanks for correcting me.
Vicious team.

1. A) Point character that's fast and can operate solo if need be. Does not necessarily require a teleport or tri-dash.
    B) Character that compliments with DHCs and assists 1A
    C) Vergil Anchor, I'm willing to swap 2nd and anchor assist though
  2. Must be able to DHC anywhere in most circumstances. Prefer to use characters that do not get relegated to "support" status aka Hsien-ko.
  3. I like to play rushdown vs rushdown or zoning vs zoning. I feel sometimes it's lopsided when either side gets going first when its rushdown vs zoning.
  4. Have hard time vs tri-dashers and Skrull. Also from alot matches I played yesterday , I seem to have trouble with teams backed with Horizontal Beams.
Have you ever tried X-23?

I liked them! :lol

FWIW, I saw the first one and thought it was yours immediately, but then I began to second guess thinking you have enough appreciation for humor to be the one responsible for the cheery Jack-O-Lantern. :p
:)

I'm in no rush.
Cool.

Karst how do you feel about my two new teams? They're a combination of my old reliable teams that I like playing and my shameless tier whoring theory fighting:

Wesker(Low Shot)/Spencer(Horizontal Shot)/Akuma(Tatsu)
Phoenix(Trap)/X-23(Ankle Slicer)/Magneto(Pew Pew)

I feel so much less frustrated :)

I got rid of slant shot because in the eternal words of my deceased friend AZ Greg, "Fuck the reset".

onionfrog

Karst how do you feel about my two new teams? They're a combination of my old reliable teams that I like playing and my shameless tier whoring theory fighting:

Wesker(Low Shot)/Spencer(Horizontal Shot)/Akuma(Tatsu)
Phoenix(Trap)/X-23(Ankle Slicer)/Magneto(Pew Pew)

I feel so much less frustrated :)

I got rid of slant shot because in the eternal words of my deceased friend AZ Greg, "Fuck the reset".
Hey God's Beard, what is Spencer's horizontal shot assist good for? I dont think I've ever used it over slant shot before. (I'm not doubting that its useful, I'd just like to know how it is useful)

It causes a hard knockdown, combos off of Wesker's AA gunshot(which I need if I get rid of Magneto) if I press it as 6H+A1, and it only hits once so it barely scales combos. I can still use it for the most part like EMD.

It just sucks that the best reset assist in the game is on one of the most damaging characters in the game.

Top Bottom