• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Dahbomb

Bee uses the horizontal wire assist to great effect. He is able to confirm full screen bottle throws with it plus he uses it for Frank combo extensions.

onionfrog

It causes a hard knockdown, combos off of Wesker's AA gunshot(which I need if I get rid of Magneto) if I press it as 6H+A1, and it only hits once so it barely scales combos. I can still use it for the most part like EMD.

It just sucks that the best reset assist in the game is on one of the most damaging characters in the game.

Bee uses the horizontal wire assist to great effect. He is able to confirm full screen bottle throws with it plus he uses it for Frank combo extensions.

Thanks guys, it seems like it is a very good assist choice to compliment someone who can self otg and get a full combo off of it. Does it nullify projectiles at all? IIRC: The point version of the move can nullify/trade with some projectiles...

I think I'll play around with my Spencer/Hawkeye/Felicia team with this assist later and see what I can pull off with it.

LakeEarth

IMO it is the easiest assist for Frank to get two photos in one, without worrying about hitstun deterioration. Also, if you end up close enough to take a photo but too far for your hyper to reach, no problem! This assist will bring your opponent right to you.

And I'm totally stealing that bottle toss + assist tech for the full-screen battle.

EDIT - any tips on what I should do to a runaway Vergil who just throws round trip into teleport mixups? Superjump away from the mixup? I know I should keep on him, but then I tend to dash into an s.H. A couple of times I would call my assist, let him eat the round trip, leaving my point character free to punish the teleport, but it isn't consistent enough (and I risk happy birthdays).

Thanks guys, it seems like it is a very good assist choice to compliment someone who can self otg and get a full combo off of it. Does it nullify projectiles at all? IIRC: The point version of the move can nullify/trade with some projectiles...

I think I'll play around with my Spencer/Hawkeye/Felicia team with this assist later and see what I can pull off with it.

heres some awesome spencer/hawkeye stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahGhQYJKEZs

Dahbomb

If Vergil is doing raw Round Trip into teleport it is completely unsafe. Hit him out of its start up. Train your eye to look for the move and punish him. It helps being close to him but many hypers can stuff him out early. What characters do you use?

LakeEarth

If Vergil is doing raw Round Trip into teleport it is completely unsafe. Hit him out of its start up. Train your eye to look for the move and punish him. It helps being close to him but many hypers can stuff him out early. What characters do you use?
They usually do this from full-screen. I feel like I don't have a lot of options because if I try to close the gap (ie. Nemesis jumping tentacles) I risk eat s.H.

Right now I make teams out of Nemesis/Taskmaster/Frank West/Doom/Spencer, mostly. I usually try to throw stuff out there to stop it from happening, but most of my stuff is kinda slow.

I should learn someone new though, my bullshit quotient isn't high enough.

Dahbomb

Spencer can easily Bionic Arm that and Taskmaster can either dash up shield skills or punish it with a hyper. Doom can L Plasma Beam it and he can just spam ground Photon beams against Vergil if he isn't using Spiral Swords. Nemesis can poke him with air tentacles to make him stop using it. Frank has some trouble against that if he isn't lvl4+ but at mid range he can really super punish him.

LakeEarth

Spencer can easily Bionic Arm that and Taskmaster can either dash up shield skills or punish it with a hyper. Doom can L Plasma Beam it and he can just spam ground Photon beams against Vergil if he isn't using Spiral Swords. Nemesis can poke him with air tentacles to make him stop using it. Frank has some trouble against that if he isn't lvl4+ but at mid range he can really super punish him.

All good options, thanks! I'm gonna try to learn to spot the windup faster. I have to learn to get in on Vergil without leaving myself open.

LakeEarth knows what's up, That's the essence of the game! Try to out bullshit the other player!
Seriously. That's what it is all about.

Nemesis just doesn't have it. Big damage, but bad scaling on any extended combo. Great range with tentacle, but hard to convert from it. Armor moves, but the armor comes late and the moves themselves are nothing special. Biggest target in the game, but has only the 5th highest amount of stamina.

Though I did discover his hidden bullshit move, j.B. If you do j.BS, it's like Haggar's pipe (with less range, but still really good).

awesome

I'd like to do mostly 1v1s since I want to show people adapting and I want to see specific playstyles clashing against one another, but lobbies could be fun down the road. I was initially opposed until I just remembered all the good Japanese tournament footage I catch on Jourdal's channel. Multi man lobbies are definitely something I'd like to experiment with.

You and Panda want to go at it? Recording is just a matter of plugging in a few cables and pressing a big red button a couple of times.

Edit: PS3 btw

I would volunteer for this. I have always wanted to have some of my matches recorded and I think I have a different playstyle than most teams. Send me a friend request if interested SolarPowered. PSN: SlasherMcGirk

Hmm... So Phoenix Rage causes a forced wallbounce, but you can't normally link two together.

So what you can do is, after a super jump, do Phoenix rage, and as they're falling, you can do another Phoenix Rage then DHC into another hyper that bounces them back into Phoenix Rage. You should be able to combo afterwards with pretty much any applicable hyper...

Still in testing, though.

LakeEarth

Hmm... So Phoenix Rage causes a forced wallbounce, but you can't normally link two together.

So what you can do is, after a super jump, do Phoenix rage, and as they're falling, you can do another Phoenix Rage then DHC into another hyper that bounces them back into Phoenix Rage. You should be able to combo afterwards with pretty much any applicable hyper...

Still in testing, though.

I've seen Clockwork send out a homing fireball before the first phoenix rage, which gives him time to teleport and combo into another one.

I found it. It's vanilla, and it isn't quite what I remembered.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xHBwZzWkBA&feature=fvwrel&t=6m25s

Frantic

You having secondary issues too huh?
Maybe a little bit. I don't really have any team that I consider my secondary at the moment, so having a cemented one would be nice. I mainly just want to make Magneto/Sent/Dante my secondary since Magneto is basically Marvel in a nutshell, though. :p

JeTmAn81

Maybe a little bit. I don't really have any team that I consider my secondary at the moment, so having a cemented one would be nice. I mainly just want to make Magneto/Sent/Dante my secondary since Magneto is basically Marvel in a nutshell, though. :p

That's one of my Magneto teams! I am ass with Mags, but if you don't practice how can you get better? It's a pretty great team. Dante with Disruptor and Drones is appropriately nuts as well.

Azure J

Pretty much the same thing I was thinking at one point except with Dante/Magneto/Amaterasu. Of course, that was until I realized that I am forever ass with tridashers (or maybe just Mr. Mahvel in Magneto). Currently looking at making Zero/Dante/Strider my secondary, but playing Zero at a Day 1 level and winning feels wrong and learning to play Mihe tier ero is waaaaay off from where I stand now. :lol

Solune

Then I shall post the cake!
My good friend on GAF who lurks here, Joule knows how to bake too. I get that feeling of a classy person.
To be fair to me, it was Vanilla Iron Man. ;-)
That makes me feel worse!
Vicious team.
Yah i felt like I underperformed after the first 20 matches but Ill played very well, execution didn't really skip a beat.
Have you ever tried X-23?
Yup, I played X-23/Stark/Magneto during Vanilla. I like her but I haven't dedicated much time to her.
Magneto/Sent/Dante throw combo. I wish I was better with Magneto so I could make this team my secondary. :(
If you're having trouble doing the regular loops, you can buffer the super jump towards the end of the hyper grav animation. That's how I do it anyways.
You having secondary issues too huh?

Better than having a main team issue.... =(

Karst I just got done playing someone else using GR and afterwards I must say that RR is his best friend. Log Trap just does everything for this guy. LT keeps people from jumping in and makes for a nice unblockable mixed with GR's Crouching C. It is so frustrating. Plus you can combo off of the OTG hellfire with LT for extra damage. LT mixed with a beam too for keep away from far distances. No need to worry about jump ins.

Azure J

You know what the second funniest exchange in this game is (2 EX Seismos colliding is always hilarious)? An EX Thunder Knuckle connecting with a crumpling Rocket Punch from Nova.

FSLink

Banned
Went to a local tournament yesterday and I was using Tron/Frank West/Dante. This team is TONS of fun, Lv5 Frank off a single drill hit confirm? Hell yes.

I'll post some footage once they upload it. Managed to get a Dante comeback vs a full team (against Spencer/Vergil/Doom iirc) without X-Factor. :p

LakeEarth

Went to a local tournament yesterday and I was using Tron/Frank West/Dante. This team is TONS of fun, Lv5 Frank off a single drill hit confirm? Hell yes.

I'll post some footage once they upload it. Managed to get a Dante comeback vs a full team (against Spencer/Vergil/Doom iirc) without X-Factor. :p

Tron is really good for leveling up frank. Not quite Nova/Dante easy, but pretty easy. Lunch time to a whiffed Frank hyper:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx9T_4efhZA

Zissou

But then you have to play Tron! I was playing RR against a Tron player the other day and he just kept air dashing over me whiffing normals. Does she really do that bad against midgets, or was the guy I was playing against just bad?

FSLink

Banned
Tron is really good for leveling up frank. Not quite Nova/Dante easy, but pretty easy. Lunch time to a whiffed Frank hyper:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx9T_4efhZA

Yeah, I took advantage of the tech. Frank West/Dante is also obviously really good for leveling up Frank, so whenever I lost Tron it wasn't ever completely hopeless.
Hm, I might have to give Nova a chance, forced ground bounce sounds really good for confirming off of Tron's j.S.

Karst how do you feel about my two new teams? They're a combination of my old reliable teams that I like playing and my shameless tier whoring theory fighting:

Wesker(Low Shot)/Spencer(Horizontal Shot)/Akuma(Tatsu)
Phoenix(Trap)/X-23(Ankle Slicer)/Magneto(Pew Pew)
I thought you hated playing X-23?

Your second team will get stomped by the twins and Hidden Missiles.
Your first team will have problems with Morridoom and like ilk. Why Horizontal shot? Why have a team without Magneto? You love him!

My good friend on GAF who lurks here, Joule knows how to bake too. I get that feeling of a classy person.
I'll post a picture soon, then!

That makes me feel worse!
It's how I knew I was free. :-(

Karst I just got done playing someone else using GR and afterwards I must say that RR is his best friend. Log Trap just does everything for this guy. LT keeps people from jumping in and makes for a nice unblockable mixed with GR's Crouching C. It is so frustrating. Plus you can combo off of the OTG hellfire with LT for extra damage. LT mixed with a beam too for keep away from far distances. No need to worry about jump ins.
Log Trap doesn't hit high.

I can combo off of OTG Hellfire already.

Log Trap uses up Ghost Rider's wall bounce so his combos do crap damage.

Ghost Rider doesn't have the mobility to place Log Trap well.

Log Trap can't hit from far away, so I'd be dropping Strider for Rocket Raccoon, which is definitely not an upgrade on this team.

Log Trap does not hit at superjump height, and has an awkward hitting area.

Plus, I don't think you've faced my team backed by Arthur and Strider. I think I was still using Hawkeye and She-Hulk. I believe this new incarnation will change your mind. :)

I really do appreciate your thoughts, though.

Edit: Does it convert off of a j.S instant overhead when simultaneously calling the assist?

Hey Karst how many Harmonizer calls can you get off a blocked stalking flare, including whatever time-burning chip setup you get afterwards?
This is the usual setup for one Stalking Flare:
1) Dark Harmonizer
2) Purification (blocked)
3) Stalking Flare
4) Dark Harmonizer
5) Charge 1D2C, 2D1C, or 3D0C

Then it's highly variable. If I chain Stalking Flares, which isn't often anymore, I just get one DH call per flare, and I chain two Purifications, which builds 50% of a bar.

Frantic

If you're having trouble doing the regular loops, you can buffer the super jump towards the end of the hyper grav animation. That's how I do it anyways.
That's what I do, but they generally end up too low to the ground for the Hyper Grav to connect. There are a few times when they're juggled at the right height, but I don't know how to do it consistently. I've never actually looked at a tutorial to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I just look at streams/combo videos and try to mimic it. I'm too lazy to learn it properly, since I don't plan on actually maining Magneto.

Plus, the biggest problem I have with Magneto is movement/neutral. My movement with him is ass and I make him look his age. Can't control him fluidly at all. :(

I thought you hated playing X-23?
I hate playing X-23, but if I'm gonna play an infinite team, I'd rather she dies early so that The King may live. I have her second, then just OTG with her assist to force Magneto to come out of the TAC.

Your second team will get stomped by the twins and Hidden Missiles.
Every time I lose faith in myself, I look back to my collection of advice from top players. This time I'm going with Justin's column about loyalty and playing characters that I'm confident with. Phoenix is my second best character, and like my good friend DB Joseph once said, "I GIVES NO FUX >:-|".

With that in mind, avoiding missiles is a specialty of mine as a Missiles player for two years. It's something I practice every once in a while.

Your first team will have problems with Morridoom and like ilk. Why Horizontal shot? Why have a team without Magneto? You love him!
Anti-zoning with Wesker was something I spent a lot of time on, but I'm really rusty with him. It's coming back, though. Horizontal Shot replaces EMD as my AA-gunshot conversion tool(only 3 assists in the game work effectively) and Tatsu is incredibly useful for both characters and more flexible in that regard than EMD. I also have this odd suspicion that Horizontal Shot scales hitstun less than Slant Shot, but I'm not sure.
Akuma is to me what Skrull is to you. I'm a big fan and love playing him, but never really had a reason to use him.

This is the usual setup for one Stalking Flare:
1) Dark Harmonizer
2) Purification (blocked)
3) Stalking Flare
4) Dark Harmonizer
5) Charge 1D2C, 2D1C, or 3D0C

Then it's highly variable. If I chain Stalking Flares, which isn't often anymore, I just get one DH call per flare, and I chain two Purifications, which builds 50% of a bar.
Thanks for the specifics. I'm really interested in using a Harmonizer team because I've found that I don't play much better with neutral assists with certain characters, and I'm obsessed with punishing assist calls.

I'm thinking:
Akuma/Dormammu/Morrigan
Magneto/Dormammu/Morrigan
Spencer/Dormammu/Morrigan

Plus, the biggest problem I have with Magneto is movement/neutral. My movement with him is ass and I make him look his age. Can't control him fluidly at all. :(

I spend as much or more time practicing movement with Magneto as my combos. Every time you open up training mode, spend a lot of time just doing wavedashes back and forth, and get your consistency with tridash L down. If it doesn't link into 2M, try harder. (note: don't actually do this in a match) Also, you can practice changing sides with tridashes, moving around in flight mode and plink dashes once you're more comfortable. Don't worry about setting a routine, just go back and forth while you're practicing other stuff.

Solune

That's what I do, but they generally end up too low to the ground for the Hyper Grav to connect. There are a few times when they're juggled at the right height, but I don't know how to do it consistently. I've never actually looked at a tutorial to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I just look at streams/combo videos and try to mimic it. I'm too lazy to learn it properly, since I don't plan on actually maining Magneto.

Yah I find that if they are too low, the super jump wasn't performed fast enough or the 2nd Heavy didn't come out fast enough. Those seem to be the main factors to get the loop.

And I have exact same problem, doing combos is fine. Controlling space and movement, LOL there is none. That's why I don't main Magneto.

Captain America salutes the USA, on re-electing Pres. Obama

*eagle tears*

gTgUz.gif

Wait, for that second image, you won? I think he's confused.

And I'm still waiting on Karst's cake!
Pictures below:

For as much as I hate dudes who taunt and shit after they win I still do love all the fan mail I get

Never gets old
"Pathetic!"

I hate playing X-23, but if I'm gonna play an infinite team, I'd rather she dies early so that The King may live. I have her second, then just OTG with her assist to force Magneto to come out of the TAC.
Maybe infinite teams just aren't for you?

Every time I lose faith in myself, I look back to my collection of advice from top players. This time I'm going with Justin's column about loyalty and playing characters that I'm confident with. Phoenix is my second best character, and like my good friend DB Joseph once said, "I GIVES NO FUX >:-|".
I think it's healthy to play who you like.

With that in mind, avoiding missiles is a specialty of mine as a Missiles player for two years. It's something I practice every once in a while.
I "give no fucks" about Hidden Missiles. Chaotic Flame all day even if it's unsafe, just to freak my opponent out.

Anti-zoning with Wesker was something I spent a lot of time on, but I'm really rusty with him. It's coming back, though. Horizontal Shot replaces EMD as my AA-gunshot conversion tool(only 3 assists in the game work effectively) and Tatsu is incredibly useful for both characters and more flexible in that regard than EMD. I also have this odd suspicion that Horizontal Shot scales hitstun less than Slant Shot, but I'm not sure.
Akuma is to me what Skrull is to you. I'm a big fan and love playing him, but never really had a reason to use him.
Hmm, interesting.

Thanks for the specifics. I'm really interested in using a Harmonizer team because I've found that I don't play much better with neutral assists with certain characters, and I'm obsessed with punishing assist calls.

I'm thinking:
Akuma/Dormammu/Morrigan
Magneto/Dormammu/Morrigan
Spencer/Dormammu/Morrigan
The Akuma team doesn't work well because characters like Vergil and Dante have much bigger hitboxes and Akuma has no way to get in. You have to jump around shooting fireballs a lot while trying to build meter, and it's not particularly effective unfortunately. IMO, there are two kinds of Dark Harmonizer users:

1) Utility users, who can burn the bar and make big things happen from it meaning each bar is a long-term investment (Devil Trigger, Bionic Arm, Spiral Swords, etc.) Basically, these users burn the bar for altering the neutral in some fashion that is deeply important.

2) Damage dealers, who can burn the bar and pop out damage whenever they feel like, but that means you are building bars for short return investments. Strong investments no doubt, but short, so after you burn the bar it's right back to the neutral (Akuma, Storm).

IMO, Dormammu fits both types, which is why Dark Harmonizer is so scary with him. But it's really hard to start the team with a Type 2 user like Akuma, because you basically have to spend the first 10 seconds of the match trying to get that second bar so you can DHC and make your assist punish scary. This is why I don't start Akuma or Storm. Plus, Type 2 users burn through meter much faster than Type 1 users, and you have a net loss of meter. Meanwhile, a Devil Trigger abuser nets 0.5 bars positive per Devil Trigger, Vergil rebuilds his bar from Spiral Swords, and Bionic Arm leads to full combos.

I think the Spencer team would work, but I have personally always wanted to try the Magneto team because it sounds great on paper (Magnetic Shockwave!), but I have no Magneto experience. I would love it if you played with the Magneto team so you can give me feedback on how well it works out.

shaowebb

I wonder what this game would feel like if I ever played top tier? My Taskmaster/Fist/Arthur team feels alright now and just needs practice, but it doesn't really seem to have any faults because whoever is in has the kind of assists they can do something with to make something happen with their gameplan.

I may poke around at this game again to see if I like anything else besides my normal crew of low to mid tiers. I'd like to make a Chun Li team since she is so much fun to use, but as was said earlier my bullshit quotient is pretty low in this game because I avoid bullshit stuff pretty hard. Maybe I should try Vergil? I already had some spencer from Vanilla to play with so he'll likely get toyed with too.

sigh

Too many fighting games. I'm gonna have to narrow things down since I've been trying to focus on KoF 13 and learn more MK9. Guess it doesn't matter because I don't have live now though.

shaowebb

License ran out, no longer allowed to sell, once copies are gone they are gone for good, prices expected to jump like MVC2 did...hmm. Well I'll hold out hope that this license gets picked up by the other guy then. Tatsunoko vs Toei is a dream I'd like since they are competitors, but Tatsunoko vs Jump is a big possibility too with this given Namco's history with major japanese license grabbing.

Here's hoping some kind of avenue opens up for this license and we get something good out of this even if its not from Capcom.

Dahbomb

So this confirmation confirms that Capcom still has the Marvel license (otherwise they would've confirmed they don't have that license either)....

I will always believe.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So this confirmation confirms that Capcom still has the Marvel license (otherwise they would've confirmed they don't have that license either)....

I will always believe.
One thing we know for sure is Marvel is happy with (U)MvC3. Even if the license expires, renegotiation will probably be speedy anyways. MvC4 is inevitable unless Capcom goes under.

onionfrog

I will always believe.

One thing we know for sure is Marvel is happy with (U)MvC3. Even if the license expires, renegotiation will probably be speedy anyways. MvC4 is inevitable unless Capcom goes under.
Stop giving me hope guys. I don't want to get my hopes up, the disappointment will be too great. (Just like Megaman's 25th anniversary, but lucky for me I've already given up all hope of anything happening for that)

To stay on topic:
I'm excited to play around with Spencer's H. shot assist when I get home from work tonight. Seems like it should create many opportunities for full screen hitconfirms into full combos.
I'm also gonna see how many 80K's I can get with a spencer/RR THC.

*Pictures of cake*

IMO, there are two kinds of Dark Harmonizer users:

1) Utility users, who can burn the bar and make big things happen from it meaning each bar is a long-term investment (Devil Trigger, Bionic Arm, Spiral Swords, etc.) Basically, these users burn the bar for altering the neutral in some fashion that is deeply important.

2) Damage dealers, who can burn the bar and pop out damage whenever they feel like, but that means you are building bars for short return investments. Strong investments no doubt, but short, so after you burn the bar it's right back to the neutral (Akuma, Storm).
1. That cake looks delicious, get a nice scoop of vanilla ice cream to go with it and its good to go.
2. Karst, how would you feel about Amaterasu/x/Morrigan?
The way you play with dark harmonizer I bet you'd always have meter for slow hyper..
Idk who to put second though...
Also, courtesy of gamefaqs, presidential victory screen
1nmVH

I'd totally main Clinton.

LakeEarth

I still don't understand why they never fixed the problem when you are playing arcade/training with "search for online match" on, and if that person disconnects, you end up back in the Xbox Live menu and you've lost all your progress. It's been in both versions.

Mmmmn Pumpkin. I was expecting it to be all decorated and stuff!
Yellow cake with frosting. It's actually my first time ever trying to bake a cake, and I have a tendency to be a little too gung-ho at new stuff, so I decided to take it slow and just focus on making it tasty. I succeeded in that endeavor, so I'm good.

"Mortals are so weak"
"Begone"

I love the voiceovers in Marvel
Don't you mean "Mortals are so - you mean nothing to me!"?

That's something western games really lack. Memorable, repeatable lines.

Top Bottom