• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Zissou

I won't be able to watch the stream archives until later- can anybody describe how exactly yipes/combo are leveraging Strange and using him so effectively?

I won't be able to watch the stream archives until later- can anybody describe how exactly yipes/combo are leveraging Strange and using him so effectively?

They combo into Nova's crumple move thing with spencer assist and hard tag into strange and do the faultine loop which builds mad meter and does great damage. They also use strange's double beam assist very effectively.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Two big points:
- Nova making maximum use of Bolts assist to get lockdown and a ton of mixup potential because of the staggered beams.
- Spencer assist allowing Nova to put the opponent into a crumple state, which allows Strange to raw tag in and do the FotF loop, to build what appears to be a guaranteed 3 bars to end the combo with Strange Level 3. Raw tag Nova back in after the character is dead and repeat. Alternatively, Nova/Spencer DHC instead of raw tagging in Strange for more meter efficient kills.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I was always annoyed at that picture, I always wanted my Crimson viper-ness and I, to be included. :'(

#teamvipertillikay
Stan harder.

Even I didn't make the cut :(

So no real point strange shenagins, just maximizing his value as a support character then?
Pretty much, Strange is the anchor. A few Strange comebacks but not many, the goal is to maul your opponent before Strange even gets in there, and only bring him in when you know there is a guaranteed kill and a safe raw tag out immediately afterwards. Hesitant to call it front-loaded there since Strange does put in work, just not in the neutral game (if I am using this term correctly, since I'm not exactly sure what it means lol).

Zissou

I was always annoyed at that picture, I always wanted my Crimson viper-ness and I, to be included. :'(

#teamvipertillikay

I've always lurked mahvel gaf, but I don't post that much, so I'm kind of simultanously part of marvel gaf and not part of marvel gaf. The established theory-fighter trinity of reliably consistent posters would undoubtedly be Dahbomb/Karsticles/GB, but aside from them, everybody else comes and goes.

Vice

Bolts help Nova and Spencer out in the beutral game. We'll see Strange anchor comebacks from Yipes and Combo.

Solune

Someone pull out Shaowebb's list!!
Oh, I was thinking about semi-modern girls. I even hesitated to put Tifa on there. I had a childhood crush on Cammy even before Nina, in that case.
Oh oops, I always forget to look at criteria before responding to a subject because I get excited when I see people who have good taste.
Good taste. Nephenee seems like the odd girl out. I can see you have a type, too. I love Odin's Sphere.
I call it the "Saber" archetype. Saber Lily is probably my favorite female design ever, I'd like a stick with her art over it.
Oh, probably not. I prefer to watch anime. Manga is too expensive.
That's oddly very funny because anime is relatively expensive even now and manga volumes tend to be the better bang for your buck unless you buy on sales frequently. Goodnight Punpun is not available officially though, it is being actively translated though so there should be some incentive to look into it!

Azure J

#teamvipertillikay

I didn't believe in the Mahvelness that was Maya Sunee (Crimson Vipson) until so much later even though she was one of the first characters that I considered for myself when I was MahvelGAF's ordinary guy/dedicated stream head. Rapid seismos were so hype the first time I saw them.

i9wnoshWXUPjN.gif

Nowadays, especially after seeing how well she goes with my boys Dante & Strider, I kick myself regularly for not going all in on that team setup from Day 1.

Stan harder.

Even I didn't make the cut :(

Pretty much, Strange is the anchor. A few Strange comebacks but not many, the goal is to maul your opponent before Strange even gets in there, and only bring him in when you know there is a guaranteed kill and a safe raw tag out immediately afterwards. Hesitant to call it front-loaded there since Strange does put in work, just not in the neutral game (if I am using this term correctly, since I'm not exactly sure what it means lol).

Neutral game refers mostly to spacing and sace control from what I can understand, basically how well you prevent others from moving in on you while you move in on them. Projectile games and movement are key.

shaowebb

*reposted for your curiosity in both lists you had Dr. Strange listed as Top 5 out of the surveyed new cast.*

PRE REVEAL RANKINGS

1. Vergil (avg. score-3)
2. Strider (avg. score-4.32)
3. Firebrand (avg. score-4.52)
4. Dr. Strange (avg. score-5.16)
5. Nova (avg. score-5.44)
6. Hawkeye(avg. score-6.32)
7. Ghost Rider(avg. score-6.48)
8. Phoenix Wright (avg. score-6.88)
9. Iron Fist (avg. score-8.28)
10. Nemesis(avg. score-8.92)
11. Rocket Raccoon (Had 2 votes…a vote for #8 and a vote for #1)
12. Frank West (Had 1 vote for #8)

FINAL RANKINGS AFTER REVEALS
1. Vergil (avg. score-3.04)
2. Strider (avg. score-4.12)
3. Firebrand (avg. score-4.52)
4. Rocket Raccoon(avg. score-5.16)
5. Dr. Strange (avg. score-5.56)
6. Nova(avg. score-5.76)
7. Hawkeye (avg. score-6.76)
8. Ghost Rider (avg. score-6.8)
9. Phoenix Wright (avg. score-8.24)
10. Frank West (avg. score-8.64)
11. Iron Fist (avg. score-9.28)
12. Nemesis (avg. score-10.08)

Here is how to read it.

ONGV8.jpg

The wider the box the more uncertain folks are on their tier placement, but the median says which end of their tier they are leaning to based off of votes. The smaller the box the more certain people are of a character's tier. If they lean too low in their box they are close to falling a tier, and if they lean to high in their box they are close to going up a tier.

uadxw.jpg

LjDVg.jpg

Dahbomb

Strange is not a great anchor but he does have some tricks. Yipes tried to go for the 2Y set up into teleport cross up. It's a gimmick that if it works 3 times you can essentially kill a full team.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Neutral game refers mostly to spacing and sace control from what I can understand, basically how well you prevent others from moving in on you while you move in on them. Projectile games and movement are key.
Yeah I always figured it referred to how well characters worked in the "neutral" when neither is on offense or in clear defence. Footsie time in a sense. I like to think of Fighting Games in terms of when people are on offense and when they are on defence, because it's usually what a lot of decision making is dependent on.

I didn't believe in the Mahvelness that was Maya Sunee (Crimson Vipson) until so much later even though she was one of the first characters that I considered for myself when I was MahvelGAF's ordinary guy/dedicated stream head. Rapid seismos were so hype the first time I saw them.

Nowadays, especially after seeing how well she goes with my boys Dante & Strider, I kick myself regularly for not going all in on that team setup from Day 1.

Sorry, Azure I've stanned viper since the day I was here, I had first started with a sagat avatar.. then two sf viper avatars.. and then marvel/ult. marvel viper avatars .. then onto more music related ish.

Prnc.gif

#psstdiva

I came to the viper party back in 2009 son.. I'm glad you're visiting for the time being.

#buhbye

I picked Strange for the worst of the newcomers. Technically I was just listing his point viability, though, and that's still a legit claim! :p

Oh oops, I always forget to look at criteria before responding to a subject because I get excited when I see people who have good taste.
Oh, there wasn't any criteria, I was just in a particualr mindset.

I call it the "Saber" archetype. Saber Lily is probably my favorite female design ever, I'd like a stick with her art over it.
Makes sense. It's kind of funny that this game has so many swords, but no females wielding them.

That's oddly very funny because anime is relatively expensive even now and manga volumes tend to be the better bang for your buck unless you buy on sales frequently. Goodnight Punpun is not available officially though, it is being actively translated though so there should be some incentive to look into it!
I have Netflix.

Time for some real talk...

Is Nova top 10 caliber?
I've always considered him to be top 10.

Dahbomb

So Pheonix is no longer top tier?
Never was in Ultimate. She is High tier. Clearly above the mid tier but too much of a liability to be top tier.

Are you FChamp?
No. I brought up the topic because while people are getting hyped up over Strange getting wins... it was Nova on both teams who was doing the work. Although it was good to see theory on Bolts of Balthack being put to the test and it passed it. I always said that assist was super good.

It was originally Fanatiq who said that Nova is top 5, possibly even better than Magneto. I scoffed at it then and to some degree I still do it now. I have always considered him a solid, strong character but never "omega cheap top 10" caliber before. Top 15 at best. Then Infrit gets 2nd place with him at EVO, after that a crop of Nova players pop up and they all start doing very well plus some kinda new tech was used. Now we have Japanese players saying he is like top 5 or something. I thought this was a good time to reevaluate the character because honestly until now I had never seen anyone put him at top 10 before (on GAF that is).

Nova's j.H box dash is super good. Everyone gets hit by it, great hit box all around him, great hit stun and OS. Nova has THE BEST throw game in Marvel, even better than Magneto because there is no situation where Nova can't convert into a full combo (either ground or air). His damage is respectable, very solid anti-air jabs and he has excellent abare. He has one of the best slides in the game, he can confirm a super jump hit into a combo and he can do instant overheards with his j.L. Energy Javelin is a superb tool not only in the neutral game but also for setting up mix ups. Gravimetric Pulse is underrated but a great tool as seen today as Yipes was able to make PRRog's Wolverine and Doom look helpless against Shield + Bolts + Javelin combo. His assist is probably the best overhead hitting assist in the game and also resets your ground bounce, the Gravimetric Pulse assist is a bit gimmicky but I can see some use for it with smart management of health. His G Blaster hyper can be powered up and with some red health can turn the tide of battle quickly with an assist punish from full screen. His Speeding Tackle might be yolo but it can help him get hits that he otherwise wouldn't be able to. Assisted he is a menace as with an assist like Bolts he gets high/lows on Magnetos caliber while also making his slide approach safe. At anchor he rolls with the best of them with XFLVL3 as not only does he get easy mode infinites but 50/50s on block and deaths from all grabs leading into quick kills and guaranteed mix ups on incoming with Javelin. It boils down to what top character he loses to and surprisingly he does well against a lot of them even Zero. Probably does bad against Vergil, Hawkeye because his approach can be shut down by those characters.

I think an argument for him being top 10 is valid. I still say that he has legitimate unsafe moves/strings and his high/low game lacks in fast low like the other top tiers (*cough* Magneto *cough*) and his air dashes moving in aren't that fast so he falls just short of the tippity top tier.

Magneto
X-23
C.Viper
Dante
Vergil

Strider
Dormammu
Doctor Doom
Spencer
Nova
X23 instead of Zero? Epic Fail.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
So Beef and GB tag team partners now? The champions have yet to be dethroned and until somebody does it, they will forever remain champions. -=totally instigating=-

Dahbomb

That's not a sword, it's a weird...sharp thing. Not a sword, though, I'm certain!
LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Trish is carrying the legendary sword of Sparda. So legendary is this sword that Sparda had to name it after himself to supplant its legendary status. It's so powerful in the hands of Sparda's own blood (like his sons) that Dante has to give it to Trish so that he isn't OP. Trish using Sparda is only at a fraction of its power. It has shape shifting capability but the base form is a sword (can change into a scythe or a spear).

Even without the Sparda sword Dante ended up being OP in both DMC4 and MVC3. When Vergil says he wants more power.. he actually wants the Sparda sword. Real talk. Devil Trigger + LVL3XF isn't enough for him.

Back to Nova, looks like SRK tier thread is complaining about him already. Some tech was posted about him. It's not new but it's something to add on top of his list of strengths.

Actually I'm pretty sure that thing is called Sword of Sparda.
LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Trish is carrying the legendary sword of Sparda. So legendary is this sword that Sparda had to name it after himself to supplant its legendary status. It's so powerful in the hands of Sparda's own blood (like his sons) that Dante has to give it to Trish so that he isn't OP. Trish using Sparda is only at a fraction of its power. It has shape shifting capability but the base form is a sword (can change into a scythe or a spear).

Even without the Sparda sword Dante ended up being OP in both DMC4 and MVC3. When Vergil says he wants more power.. he actually wants the Sparda sword. Real talk. Devil Trigger + LVL3XF isn't enough for him.
You guys are too easy.

In all seriousness, this is not a sword:

They can call a bow and arrow a spear, but it's still a bow and arrow. This looks more like a great axe or cleaver. It's definitely not a sword, though, regardless of the name it has. Sparda may have been a legendary knight, but he was not a legendary weapon-namer.

Dahbomb

It's a demonic sword. It's wielded and used like a sword.

Also the hilt of it the same as Force Edge and it really is a transformed Force Edge.

marshal_po.jpg

Bad pic but you get the idea.

This is what it looks like in the game:

Sparda_sword.jpg

Frantic

lol, wasn't expecting a technical debate on whether or not the Sparda is technically a sword or not.

It's swung like a sword, so it's a sword to me. But it's also a scythe and a spear at the same time, so it's a weird weapon. I just wish Trish had her own version of Stinger using the spear version. :(

Back to Nova, looks like SRK tier thread is complaining about him already. Some tech was posted about him. It's not new but it's something to add on top of his list of strengths.
One reason I really like Marvelo's team is because of this. An airthrow throw from Nova anywhere leads to 850k with 1 bar by rawtagging Dante in. Even better is that it builds 1.5 bars. It's godlike.

It's a demonic sword. It's wielded and used like a sword.

Also the hilt of it the same as Force Edge and it really is a transformed Force Edge.

marshal_po.jpg

Bad pic but you get the idea.

This is what it looks like in the game:

Sparda_sword.jpg
Haha, I know Dahbomb. Thank you, though. :)

lol, wasn't expecting a technical debate on whether or not the Sparda is technically a sword or not.

It's swung like a sword, so it's a sword to me. But it's also a scythe and a spear at the same time, so it's a weird weapon. I just wish Trish had her own version of Stinger using the spear version. :(
Give Trish Devil Trigger IMO. Traps are now twice as big in their area, Peekaboo crumples.

Top Bottom