• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Log Trap doesn't hit high.

I can combo off of OTG Hellfire already.

Log Trap uses up Ghost Rider's wall bounce so his combos do crap damage.

Ghost Rider doesn't have the mobility to place Log Trap well.

Log Trap can't hit from far away, so I'd be dropping Strider for Rocket Raccoon, which is definitely not an upgrade on this team.

Log Trap does not hit at superjump height, and has an awkward hitting area.

Plus, I don't think you've faced my team backed by Arthur and Strider. I think I was still using Hawkeye and She-Hulk. I believe this new incarnation will change your mind. :)

I really do appreciate your thoughts, though.

Edit: Does it convert off of a j.S instant overhead when simultaneously calling the assist?

Thinking about some more this is probably more true. Still though, using LT to keep me grounded coupled with C.C to sweep me off my feet was hella annoying. Even if I jumped over LT, GR would jump backwards and J.S, I would block it and then we would go back to the neutral game. Rocket Raccoon was just an idea but it looks like your happy with your team so kudos to you. Man the matches I played earlier against some of the GameFaqs folk really frustrated me. Just when I think I am happy and doing better than usual with my team results, I am brought back down to earth thinking "What do I do against this? I have no answer to this! Arrgggg." Wooo time to take a break lol.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Tonight. Panda and Beef gets thrown into a dark closet, blind folded, both drunk as hell with no clothes on and random weapons and toys surrounding them. Anything goes.

Thinking about some more this is probably more true. Still though, using LT to keep me grounded coupled with C.C to sweep me off my feet was hella annoying. Even if I jumped over LT, GR would jump backwards and J.S, I would block it and then we would go back to the neutral game. Rocket Raccoon was just an idea but it looks like your happy with your team so kudos to you. Man the matches I played earlier against some of the GameFaqs folk really frustrated me. Just when I think I am happy and doing better than usual with my team results, I am brought back down to earth thinking "What do I do against this? I have no answer to this! Arrgggg." Wooo time to take a break lol.
I know that feeling. That's why I have a list of "teams I need to be able to deal with" while constructing any team. I'm surprised you lost to Hulk/Dormammu/Phoenix, though. That's not a very strong team, and it seems like your counters it easily.

Tonight. Panda and Beef gets thrown into a dark closet, blind folded, both drunk as hell with no clothes on and random weapons and toys surrounding them. Anything goes.
Teen+Wolf+movie+image+Michael+J+Fox+%25282%2529.jpg

Too bad your stream is unwatchable for me.

Zissou

I know that feeling. That's why I have a list of "teams I need to be able to deal with" while constructing any team. I'm surprised you lost to Hulk/Dormammu/Phoenix, though. That's not a very strong team, and it seems like your counters it easily.

Teen+Wolf+movie+image+Michael+J+Fox+%25282%2529.jpg

Too bad your stream is unwatchable for me.

Ooh, what's the list? Is it full teams or just pairings?

That's what I kinda thought but sometimes just straight up raw skill triumphs over all.

Maybe infinite teams just aren't for you?

I want to believe that all my hard work meant something :-(

The Akuma team doesn't work well because characters like Vergil and Dante have much bigger hitboxes and Akuma has no way to get in. You have to jump around shooting fireballs a lot while trying to build meter, and it's not particularly effective unfortunately. IMO, there are two kinds of Dark Harmonizer users:

1) Utility users, who can burn the bar and make big things happen from it meaning each bar is a long-term investment (Devil Trigger, Bionic Arm, Spiral Swords, etc.) Basically, these users burn the bar for altering the neutral in some fashion that is deeply important.

2) Damage dealers, who can burn the bar and pop out damage whenever they feel like, but that means you are building bars for short return investments. Strong investments no doubt, but short, so after you burn the bar it's right back to the neutral (Akuma, Storm).

IMO, Dormammu fits both types, which is why Dark Harmonizer is so scary with him. But it's really hard to start the team with a Type 2 user like Akuma, because you basically have to spend the first 10 seconds of the match trying to get that second bar so you can DHC and make your assist punish scary. This is why I don't start Akuma or Storm. Plus, Type 2 users burn through meter much faster than Type 1 users, and you have a net loss of meter. Meanwhile, a Devil Trigger abuser nets 0.5 bars positive per Devil Trigger, Vergil rebuilds his bar from Spiral Swords, and Bionic Arm leads to full combos.

I think the Spencer team would work, but I have personally always wanted to try the Magneto team because it sounds great on paper (Magnetic Shockwave!), but I have no Magneto experience. I would love it if you played with the Magneto team so you can give me feedback on how well it works out.
I like the Akuma one because I can blast people while I'm jumping :-(

I'll try the Magneto and Spencer ones out, see if there's anything I can come up with.

Frantic

GGs, Tobe. I could see the rust, lol.

My Dante has become serious business since we last played. I do my best to RTSD when given the opportunity. I'm still free to OS airthrows as always, though.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
We can do a Live version of the grudge match. Same rules apply except it would be FT15.

Winner gets 1600 points.

smurfx

get some go again
ggs azure. your viper and dante have improved a lot but especially your viper. you made it way harder for haggar to get in on her. only thing i can suggest is keep improving your seismos and your timing on her ex moves to punish people. she can play pretty good keep away herself so keep at it.

Azure J

ggs azure. your viper and dante have improved a lot but especially your viper. you made it way harder for haggar to get in on her. only thing i can suggest is keep improving your seismos and your timing on her ex moves to punish people. she can play pretty good keep away herself so keep at it.

I feel immensely happy reading this right now. :D

I've been putting more work into movement around zoning traps (and movement in general, I just love dashing in this game lately) and optimizing her zoning game with Jam Session cordoning off a chunk of screen behind which she can go into Seismos or Seismo-Laser. It's a work in progress, especially with regards to teaching myself not to let Optic Laser rip/still be in cooldown if someone's in jump in range. I was also happy to see that I was picking up on one or two habits of yours in match. :p

Still have to work on being more dynamic with Viper when someone's sitting outside of Seismo H range, pressing the right buttons with Dante (I literally almost hd a great anti-air in one match, but didn't do a second dash under your pipe ), and controlling more neutral ground with Strider.

Speaking of Strider, you weren't joking about anti-Vajra tech. I was even trying to bait you into it to try and catch you with a Seismo/projectile from off side, but you had measures against that too! :lol

Edit: I fell asleep earlier and missed the grudge match. Archives, here I come! Also, does Strider's Ame-no-murakame (QCF moves, particularly M & H) crossup? If so, I think I have timing down for it to be the derpiest opening mix up around.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
We can do a Live version of the grudge match. Same rules apply except it would be FT15.

Winner gets 1600 points.

Hey FRANTIC you should take Kadey up on this. I'd love to see what happens when YOU get one of MY characters.
Archives are up. Some stupid reason, its split into two parts and a little bit is missing between.
The stream went down for a bit.
You were so good you didn't even need Bold cancel to win.
I tried it once! But I fucked up and just got Bold Move which I promptly canceled into j.S> Hammer which Beef has stated before how much he hates.
...Yeah let's go with that.

iAgRgCx3zvwnD.gif

Frantic

Hey FRANTIC you should take Kadey up on this. I'd love to see what happens when YOU get one of MY characters.
Let me tell ya something, I'm the current reigning XBL Marvel-GAF Random All champ in a Four-Man Random All Free-For-All. I'm so good with Random All that I know 80% of the cast's assists by their color alone when going random all. I'm so good with Random All that there is only a 1 in 20 chance I don't get a single character I know how to play well because I'm just that good with the entire cast. I'll be willing to give you Thor, but all your other characters? I can play them just fine. It's not like they take skill or anything.

Joking aside, I wouldn't mind getting in on a random all FT15. I love random-all matches. Can't say I have any grudges against anyone, though.

GGs. Damn Taskmaster, man.

heh, i don't know man, you can tell me if you let up on me when i got my win streak at the end. i used to think i just hated certain characters (frank, nova, hulk, anchor akuma) but i realized i just don't quite have the reactions, neutral and blocking skills for this game. yet, i still am okay with getting bodied, because that's mahvel.

That's what I kinda thought but sometimes just straight up raw skill triumphs over all.
Oh sure, but skill can't fix an impossible matchup! I've summoned the power enough to know! ;-)

I want to believe that all my hard work meant something :-(
It means you can preach the team to others!

I like the Akuma one because I can blast people while I'm jumping :-(
Except you have no ground presence, so you have to be constantly jumping, which is predictable and dangerous. Run all three teams, but I think you'll find the Akuma one to be the most unsatisfactory.

I'll try the Magneto and Spencer ones out, see if there's anything I can come up with.
Cool.

Oh yeah I didn't say GGs or anything so like GGs Beef.

Even though I liked hardly any of it.
How can you not love Random All? :-O

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Let me tell ya something, I'm the current reigning XBL Marvel-GAF Random All champ in a Four-Man Random All Free-For-All. I'm so good with Random All that I know 80% of the cast's assists by their color alone when going random all. I'm so good with Random All that there is only a 1 in 20 chance I don't get a single character I know how to play well because I'm just that good with the entire cast. I'll be willing to give you Thor, but all your other characters? I can play them just fine. It's not like they take skill or anything.

Joking aside, I wouldn't mind getting in on a random all FT15. I love random-all matches. Can't say I have any grudges against anyone, though.
Oh yeah I forgot Kadey used to stream you guys doing random lol

I used to not hate it but then yesterday happened and

ibhwv30CRCf13k.gif

Didn't know there was an MVC:O demo so I'm playing that.

LakeEarth

I did some of that last night. Nothing like having Hsien-Ko on point, getting her gold, tagging her out, and then realizing you have the gong assist.

I once got the exact same team twice in a row. Not the same assists, but still, highly unlikely.

I used to not hate it but then yesterday happened and

ibhwv30CRCf13k.gif
The trick is to play semi-Random-All like I do. Use the Random Select for each character individually, de-select the assist, and choose the best assist option. Generally, you'll get at least one good assist to make a functional team this way, so even though the spirit of the team is random, it's enjoyable.

I once got the exact same team twice in a row. Not the same assists, but still, highly unlikely.
Love it!

Azure J

One of my favorite Random All experiences in this game was playing a long FT25 with my brother and on like the last match, I get Dante/Amaterasu/Strider. I was so fucking happy until I got happy birthday'd early on in the match because Strider was on Ame-No-Murakame assist and ran forward into Slightly Dark Vergil's bubble shuffle.

onionfrog

The trick is to play semi-Random-All like I do. Use the Random Select for each character individually, de-select the assist, and choose the best assist option. Generally, you'll get at least one good assist to make a functional team this way, so even though the spirit of the team is random, it's enjoyable.

Love it!
C'mon karst, random all means you just hit random all and play with whatever it gives you. Terrible assist choices included, plus you have to figure out what assists you have on the fly. And activate gold armor only to realize you have gong assist.

FSLink

Banned
C'mon karst, random all means you just hit random all and play with whatever it gives you. Terrible assist choices included, plus you have to figure out what assists you have on the fly. And activate gold armor only to realize you have gong assist.

Figure out? You can tell by the background of the portrait (pink/green/blue for alpha/beta/gamma assist). Unless you don't know what that assist is for each character I suppose.

onionfrog

Figure out? You can tell by the background of the portrait (pink/green/blue for alpha/beta/gamma assist). Unless you don't know what that assist is for each character I suppose.
Nah I haven't memorized what each assist is for each character by color.
I mean I could probably remember what assists most characters have, but not that quickly and I still wouldn't remember which assist is alpha beta or gamma.

I agree with slasher though, random alls are tons of fun.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Found something weird.

With level 3 xfactored Akuma when I do a cr. M he like tries to stand up even though I'm holding down. Only happens in level 3 for some reason.

Top Bottom