• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

FSLink

Banned
Nah I haven't memorized what each assist is for each character by color.
I mean I could probably remember what assists most characters have, but not that quickly and I still wouldn't remember which assist is alpha beta or gamma.

I agree with slasher though, random alls are tons of fun.

Just shows I play the game too much, lol

Sorry for the late response. I used to have Marvel for both platforms, but my PS3 stopped working earlier this year. Not being able to buy Journey really bummed me out : /
Journey was one of my top 3 games of the year. It is just too beautiful to look at and you really get attached to your co-op partners along the way. The music is so serene that just made a playlist using Flower and Journey's soundtracks for whenever I'm studying. I hear Unfinished Swan is even better as well. Definitely a good year for playstation home consoles.
I would volunteer for this. I have always wanted to have some of my matches recorded and I think I have a different playstyle than most teams. Send me a friend request if interested SolarPowered. PSN: SlasherMcGirk
Just find someone good from here to pair up with and I'll record.

Solune

Yellow cake with frosting. It's actually my first time ever trying to bake a cake, and I have a tendency to be a little too gung-ho at new stuff, so I decided to take it slow and just focus on making it tasty. I succeeded in that endeavor, so I'm good.
Oh if it's your first time doing a cake then that's understandable. You have to put these things into perspective! The second shot really looked yummy though.
Don't you mean "Mortals are so - you mean nothing to me!"?

That's something western games really lack. Memorable, repeatable lines.
Blame yourself or God is the best line in a video game I think. I can't believe they took that line out in War of the Lions, I mean, it's the literal translation from the Japanese script.

Speaking of Wesker, I hit a million glasses off using the Akuma team.
Asians > Latinos.

Had no idea Panda was asian. Thought he was white as fuck this whole time. Same with God's Beard until he mentioned it.

Solune

One of my fortune cookies says "A New Approach Will Bring You Greater Career Success".

It's telling me to switch to bandwagon a top players team and get Dat Money.

I'm looking forward to Dante.

Can't wait to play 2 years of catchup, yeesh. But the troll combos will be funny.

Why does this dummy have a billion OTGs? Dat bias.

random is no fun when you have only played 4 characters and have never really touched the others. -_-
Damn straight.
Blame yourself or God is the best line in a video game I think. I can't believe they took that line out in War of the Lions, I mean, it's the literal translation from the Japanese script.

Had no idea Panda was asian. Thought he was white as fuck this whole time. Same with God's Beard until he mentioned it.

I like the new translation if only because the story is a lot easier to understand.

And I thought GB was black, but I didn't really think it was that important to begin with.

C'mon karst, random all means you just hit random all and play with whatever it gives you. Terrible assist choices included, plus you have to figure out what assists you have on the fly. And activate gold armor only to realize you have gong assist.
Random All is fun for me because it forces me to play with odd character combinations I never thought of before. It's not interesting to me to be forced to use poor assist combinations. Plus, then you have to spend the first 10 seconds of a fight calling assists to see what you got, and that's lame.

Think of it this way. It's still random, but instead of 6 random choices being made, 4 random choices are being made. I found it unenjoyable to get screwed over with Hsien-ko getting a bad assist. It's just not interesting to play utter crap while an opponent gets Sentinel Force or something.

You're pre-determining the match when one team randomly has amazing synergy and the other randomly has none at all. Bring it to a middle point IMO.

Oh if it's your first time doing a cake then that's understandable. You have to put these things into perspective! The second shot really looked yummy though.
It was fantastic cake! Lots of pudding...

So many poor translations...Ignition is like sin on earth.

Speaking of Wesker, I hit a million glasses off using the Akuma team.
Speaking of Wesker...I think he has the best X-Factor animation in the game.

I think I'm the only white guy here.

Zissou

I'm looking forward to Dante.

Can't wait to play 2 years of catchup, yeesh. But the troll combos will be funny.

Why does this dummy have a billion OTGs? Dat bias.

I think learning Dante is kind of difficult because despite there being a billion combo videos for him, stuff about how to approach match-ups and how to use his tools in the neutral game is much more scarce. If somebody is just starting Nova, you can tell them, "This is box dash H, the character" and they grasp what's he's about while picking up bits and pieces along the way. There's no equivalent way to distill/simplify Dante (at least ever since he lost vanilla hammer!)

onionfrog

Random All is fun for me because it forces me to play with odd character combinations I never thought of before. It's not interesting to me to be forced to use poor assist combinations. Plus, then you have to spend the first 10 seconds of a fight calling assists to see what you got, and that's lame.

Think of it this way. It's still random, but instead of 6 random choices being made, 4 random choices are being made. I found it unenjoyable to get screwed over with Hsien-ko getting a bad assist. It's just not interesting to play utter crap while an opponent gets Sentinel Force or something.
I guess when you put it this way I get the merit of it. We'll do it like this whenever we get a chance to play randoms.

No you're not Karst, I'm white too. So there's at least two of us.
And I work an office job.(Stereotypes much?lol)

Zissou

Somebody should make an random character selection tool available online- for streaming at least, somebody like Kadey could show each player the three characters they have to use, but they'd be allowed to pick the assists and order themselves. Or some kind of character auction system could be interesting as well.

Korosenai

I haven't watched any fighting game streams since EVO this year.

Are they still doing wednesday night fights and the other random streams? Are there any up tonight or this weekend?

Azure J

@Sasa: Glad to see you're excited to play Dante. Enjoyment of a character always helps when learning something new.

I think learning Dante is kind of difficult because despite there being a billion combo videos for him, stuff about how to approach match-ups and how to use his tools in the neutral game is much more scarce. If somebody is just starting Nova, you can tell them, "This is box dash H, the character" and they grasp what's he's about while picking up bits and pieces along the way. There's no equivalent way to distill/simplify Dante (at least ever since he lost vanilla hammer!)

Pretty much. Also doesn't help that he truly exemplifies "Jack of all trades, master of none" unless you going to seriously do that work. You learn through getting bopped that while his buttons are great, you have to have good spacing otherwise a billion things will poke you out. You have to learn how to move and avoid other people's projectiles while putting out your own. And while everyone else will tell me otherwise, you have to train yourself not to rush down from the jump, instead learn how to handle him in the neutral moving him out of harm's reach while capitalizing on opportunities for you to hassle opponents until you can get your Brea combo video on with a good confirm.

In a lot of ways, Ultimate Dante really is a great look at how you have to play Dante from his source material. The first matches are learning, the next batch are applying and the last ones are disregarding everything from the opposition and substituting your own sense of style on them.

onionfrog

Well, now look at what you've done. White people ruin everything!
What? Have I ruined you being able to claim to be the only white guy on Mahvelgaf? The dream is dead!
Somebody should make an random character selection tool available online- for streaming at least, somebody like Kadey could show each player the three characters they have to use, but they'd be allowed to pick the assists and order themselves. Or some kind of character auction system could be interesting as well.
This could be cool. I don't know if it'd be worth the effort of making, compared to just using random select in game...

onionfrog

Yep. I was just joking, though. My white guilt was projected into you.
Sarcasm never works over the Internet.

I'm getting fairly consistent with Spencer's zip loop in training mode. I'd probably drop it in a match though.

I'm on wireless Internet right now, so off to training mode I go!!!

Solune

I like the new translation if only because the story is a lot easier to understand.

And I thought GB was black, but I didn't really think it was that important to begin with.
If you're interested, here's part of FFT's script in Japanese.
Original

「悪いな…。
恨むなら自分か神様にしてくれ。
Then you get one of these.
"Tough...Don't Blame us. Blame yourself or God"
Or
"'Tis your birth and faith that wrong you... not I."

I don't mean that the whole retranslation was bad, just there wasn't any sense changing that one particular line. I'm not overly fond of either Tactics localization but, you have to work with what you're given.
So many poor translations...Ignition is like sin on earth.
I can't remember the last honest to god good translation I remember reading. Most are serviceable or trash, but none that are superb that I can think off the top of my head anyway.
Speaking of Wesker...I think he has the best X-Factor animation in the game.
I can't remember all of them off hand but that would certainly be a contender.
Bizazedo is white, there's stream evidence somewhere. I think shaowebb is too but I don't have confirmation on that.

Frantic

I'm white. Or at least mostly white. *shrug*

Oh Vanilla Hammer. Such a hilarious move.

But yeah, Dante is hard to approach in the neutral because you have to know when and where to use his tools. It's not easy to sum up his matchups or neutral because you have to be very flexible and be very aware of what the other person wants to do at all times(which is why I have trouble with people who do random shit, because I never know what they want to do). When you do get the hang of him though, he's an amazing character. Just takes a while to get to that point. It's taken me two years, and I just now feel like I've gotten the hang of the character with a ton of things I can still improve on. It's why he's so fun to me.

I'm white. Or at least mostly white. *shrug*
Oh, well there you go then.

Oh Vanilla Hammer. Such a hilarious move.

But yeah, Dante is hard to approach in the neutral because you have to know when and where to use his tools. It's not easy to sum up his matchups or neutral because you have to be very flexible and be very aware of what the other person wants to do at all times(which is why I have trouble with people who do random shit, because I never know what they want to do). When you do get the hang of him though, he's an amazing character. Just takes a while to get to that point. It's taken me two years, and I just now feel like I've gotten the hang of the character with a ton of things I can still improve on. It's why he's so fun to me.
The funniest thing about Hammer is that it wasn't even the most broken move in Vanilla!

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I am also a part of this white minority and in the even bigger minority of Europeans playing this game.

Grecco

Remember Niitsuma said he wanted 8 extra characters in the game. Those 8 characters didn't make it? Come on Capcom, tell us, who are the last 8 characters?

Niitsuma had hoped to have more characters than we had, but it was not to be. The "other characters" were never finalized and never created.

They don't exist. Characters beyond the ones that made it were never finalized with Marvel and never made because it was apparent early on in the dev process that there wouldn't be enough time to do them all.

UGHHHHHHHH

You know what else was posted in that article that is even more important than that news?

"People, for the love of God, let it go already.

Marvel 3 is done. Stop torturing yourselves and enjoy what we have."

Grecco

You know what else was posted in that article that is even more important than that news?

"People, for the love of God, let it go already.

Marvel 3 is done. Stop torturing yourselves and enjoy what we have."

FOR THE SAKE OF DAHABOMB AND HIS AVATAR BET WE MUST BELIEVE!

Zissou

I just wish they'd change TACs somehow to make real resets a more attractive option and make it so every third lightning zero does throws him into a hard knockdown, deadpool-style. I can live with everything else as is.

Azure J

Random thought, what are the most satisfying ways to end a match/get a character KO with the three characters on your main team (or if you don't have a main currently, your three favorites)?

- Viper: EX Seismo. It's like a one meter NOPE.gif and ending things with it is just wrong to the point of making me laugh while hoping the other party joins in with me. :lol

- Dante: Million Carats. There is something so catartic about playing around, moving like a champ frustrating someone until they want to take advantage of super jump or dive tactics only for them to get counter launched out of that nonsense.

- Strider: Bird Bombs all day. I think I use this one special more than anything else with Strider.

Ebonics is a plague upon this world.

And now I feel awkward for cutting a bit looser in FGC-GAF lately. :lol

Zissou

Doom - the blender, especially when completely unecessary.

Strider - wave dashing around like an asshole with orbs on in xf3, just because they KNOW I'm a talentless hack but I still won.

In general- snuffing out their last character with a thc mixup with million dollars pinning them down/hitting them, feels good man.

Dahbomb

Iron Avenger and Dark Angel.

Forever the best finishers in the game. My hype meter goes through the roof when I land one of these, increasing my chances of winning that game or the next one by 10%.

onionfrog

Random thought, what are the most satisfying ways to end a match/get a character KO with the three characters on your main team (or if you don't have a main currently, your three favorites)?
- Hawkeye: Confirm a hit into Gimlet XF Gimlet. Or complete a combo, then XF and level 3. Also any chip damage victory.

-Thor: Comboing into a very damaging DHC. (IE Mighty Hurricane->Gamma Quake).
Mighty Punish!

-Felicia: Catch them with command grab setups, air throw resets, or kitty helper unblockables into a combo for the win. Also Full Screen level three if the opponent throws out a random super.

Azure J

I was initially talking about single non super things that get you going, but some of this stuff is too good. Just add:

Viper: Focus Attack unblockable to full combo never gets old. Shoutouts to guard breaks.

Dante: Landing any shot loop variant and finishing said combo completely. More impressive if I get the clean hit and build meter for the Level 3 finish.

Strider: Any hard knockdown - Tiger - high/lows for days. Shit makes me feel the closest to playing Third Strike Makoto possible in this game and I love it. Especially when the second guess is wrong, I get my combo and end with Formation B - Gram L loops or Formation B-Ragnarok.

You should be familiar with my favorite one of them, teleport behind->throw->XF->level 3 with the Raccoon :p

Honorable mention to Frank's AA super.

1D2C baby, followed by Stalking Flare.

FEEL THE INEVITABILITY!

Edit: Also, XFC Penance Stare and Stalking Flare, XFC Chaotic Flame.

And now I feel awkward for cutting a bit looser in FGC-GAF lately. :lol
It's not like I keep a shit list or something, haha. No one person is responsible for the demise of beautiful speech.

What about thuganomics?
Is that when people get mugged, or...?

Is saying 'sheeeeit' against the rules? I cannot give that up.
It's okay if you're mocking people who say it normally...

My wife was once reading this really ghetto book series called The Bitten. She always tells me about the stuff she reads, and I would tease her about how ghetto the book sounded. She denied any such thing, but then I looked over her shoulder and saw these lines of dialogue written:
"Sheeeeiiiiiiit!"
"Daaaaaaaaaaamn!"

Top Bottom