• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Solune

Now you know how everyone else felt about Dante in Vanilla.

The only problem with Nova is his j.H is way too good. I generally do not think it's a good idea to put a character's best aerial approach on the same button as that character's grab command.
Yah I'm really not fond of the option selects present in this game, but it's something that I accept.
I'm from Michigan. Most of the USA considers Michigan to be part of Canada.
LMFAO, almost coughed up my Coke.
LOL

No love for Space Cop around these parts. I like him, especially at high level. So clean yet so disrespectful. Nova Smash especially. Moonz is so pretty.

Also because he sounds/talks like a shithead. VA must've had mad fun doing Nova lines. Him and Taskmaster are top tier shithead VA, followed by Wesker and Chris (Kills 3 guys xx "WHAT'S THE POINT OF ALL THIS FIGHTING?").

I said I wouldn't practice sword guy, but last tourney of the year is tomorrow, and apparently I'll be snowed in tonight, and BLOPS2 ain't till next week, so bleh. Maybe I'll play some Movie team or work on other IRL stuff tonight too... snow is horawful, don't ever get any guys.

I just started anchoring Troy Baker, he's pretty funny. Triple Centurion Art combos are fun.

I wish they had put in the RE6 version of Chris, he has alot more of that drunk asshole behavior instead of that straight arrow from RE5.

And yah I heard the snow dump in AB was terrible, friend said he spent an hour and a half shoveling....The back. No snow in Vancouver, after the weekend supposed to be 10 straight days of rain though.

Xevren

Man, having Masamune in Marvel would have made me one happy camper. Hell, any of the Sengoku cast for that matter, I loved playing the Sengoku Basara games.

Man, having Masamune in Marvel would have made me one happy camper. Hell, any of the Sengoku cast for that matter, I loved playing the Sengoku Basara games.
Eh, I'd prefer not to have third-party characters like Sephiroth in the game.
Or were you making a Chrono Trigger reference?
=D

Xevren

Eh, I'd prefer not to have third-party characters like Sephiroth in the game.
Or were you making a Chrono Trigger reference?
=D

Was commenting in general after seeing the comments about the Basara game characters, since they came up during that whole Sven answering questions about them.

Frantic

GGs Azure. I was playing really badly today. Couldn't quite get a hang of myself. I've just been out of it today.

Either way, you've improved a lot since I last played you. Your getting a lot better with your defense, namely your ability to avoid getting put in bad spots, or getting out of them. Was having much more trouble putting you or keeping you in the pressure.

Your Strider is much better than the last time. Using his cr.L helps a lot :p. Also got caught by cr.LL > Throw a lot, wasn't thinking about it. I would recommend not canceling block strings into Gram L so much, though. Cancel into Formation B more so you've got Formation B ready, and so Gram L doesn't whiff as much and end up getting you punished. s.H > Formation B is 0 on block, iirc, so it's not punishable unless the s.H whiffs.

You're getting better at knowing when and where to use all of Dante's tools. I'd suggest using Drive more in the neutral(just because it's got a godlike hitbox that hits a mile behind him, preventing teleporters from getting in easily, something Crystal does not protect against), abuse Stinger more, and use box dash j.M or j.H some more when you're about midscreen away.

I can't say much about your Viper, since you're leagues better with her than I am. Only real tips I can think of are that you should start calling Jam Session more when you've got someone in a blockstring, try to snipe my assists more with Laser, and use EX Seismo when I'm box dashing around like a dumbass. Until you start making me respect the EX Seismo, I'm gonna keep box dashing like an idiot. :p

Also Focus > Thunder Knuckle H is pure bullshit. I don't know how you were pulling that off online, lol.

Azure J

GGs to you too Frantic, you're very easily the hardest training buddy I play that isn't Smurf hard to crack open. A lot of the time, I find myself going for the Gram L or Ame-No-Murakame L because it completely bodies people who want to Guard Cancel and press buttons after a block string. (The truthful answer is I autopilot through that too often, but with that kind of payoff, it's not too bad. :p)

I should definitely do more Formation B though, that move is far too good not to abuse in the neutral.

Moments of the night:

- I told you I could block! :lol (re: blocking an incoming Strider mixup, all of Orbs and getting one tick throw with my own Strider)

- Random matches were amazingly hilarious. I don't know which one was more enlightening, the idea that I can't play my characters when I get them and have weirdos on my team or that I don't know enough to not magic series my way out of things with most of the cast.

- IMDABESS VERGIL EVER. :lol :lol :lol

- Focus - Thunder Knuckle H is the most anti-Marvel tool I have ever seen and I fucking looooove it. :lol

I definitely thought you'd have more to say about Focus - EX Thunder Knuckle at match start however. So many Happy Birthdays. I literally just got the idea and said "hey, let's just say fuck opening gambits all together, not like I care for perfects."

- Still hate that when I screw up a Plink Teleport + Assist setup, my mind goes all "mash it out" like Rain Storm is safe or something. :lol

- Something's wrong with my pad, I can't rapid Seismo like I want to recently. I'm trying to use Jam Session more for pressuring and mixing up, but you know how defensive I am currently. I also definitely let my mind slip playing my lame game because of the success I had with it playing Smurf the other night. Teleporters get right in behind my wall of keep out and catching Viper in the middle of a Seismo always stings. I'm also upset that I never landed the new Million Carats route on you. :(

- Nothing gets me hype like rapid dashing in Devil Trigger mode full screen away from shenanigans. I can only imagine what people think when they see Dante haul ass like that.

- Random matches were amazingly hilarious. I don't know which one was more enlightening, the idea that I can't play my characters when I get them and have weirdos on my team or that I don't know enough to not magic series my way out of things with most of the cast.
I've had to relearn Dormammu so many times because I changed assists. It's a weird feeling.

Tobe

aw well, im getting back on this train after cita beat me pretty badly, anyone that can let me practice? cause fuck im rusty as hell.

Azure J

I've had to relearn Dormammu so many times because I changed assists. It's a weird feeling.

I literally almost lost a match tonight because Rocket Raccoon was replacing Dante on a random pick team that game me both Viper and Strider in their correct locations (different assists though). It's a really really weird feeling.

@Tobe: If you're on later and I haven't KO'd, I'll shoot you a request.

Frantic

GGs to you too Frantic, you're very easily the hardest training buddy I play that isn't Smurf hard to crack open.
Heh thanks. I wish I was as hard to crack open as smurf. When I get pressured, I just fold and get opened up. I also run into a lot of random things that I probably shouldn't, which messes with my head and makes my defense even worse. I have zen-like moments where I block everything thrown at me, but they come and go as they please. :(

My favorite moments were you whiffing Tron's level 3, then me dashing up with Tron and grabbing you with her level 3. Also coming up with a Magneto/Wesker combo on the fly(call Jaguar Dash, cr.H > Disruptor L, dash-dash-dash launch). Punishing Dorm as an assist with "That's ILLEGAL!" x5 was also hilarious.

We both got Tron a LOT.

I definitely thought you'd have more to say about Focus - EX Thunder Knuckle at match start however. So many Happy Birthdays. I literally just got the idea and said "hey, let's just say fuck opening gambits all together, not like I care for perfects."
Haha, forgot about that. I need to remain more aware of EX Thunder Knuckle, since I get hit by it too much.

- Still hate that when I screw up a Plink Teleport + Assist setup, my mind goes all "mash it out" like Rain Storm is safe or something. :lol
I was messing up all my bold cancels, too. Was dropping all sorts of stuff today. I'm so inconsistent. :(

I'm also upset that I never landed the new Million Carats route on you. :(
What were you trying to do, exactly? Catch some teleports or something?

- Nothing gets me hype like rapid dashing in Devil Trigger mode full screen away from shenanigans. I can only imagine what people think when they see Dante haul ass like that.
It's pretty funny looking, and I was trying to think of a way to catch that, but didn't really think about it fast enough.

Next time, I'll just charge some Multi-Locks. :p

I knew what I was getting into, but I have to actually think with Dante T_T

Hoping the "feel" doesn't take too long... Space Cop just lets you jump right in.

Azure J

Zero Guard Breaks.

This character. :lol

Edit: Almost forgot, Chris is goddamned ridiculous. TODs everywhere with his BFFs Dante and Strider. It's hell to get in on when played efficiently and I'm running some of the brokedest shit in the game! lol

Heh thanks. I wish I was as hard to crack open as smurf. When I get pressured, I just fold and get opened up. I also run into a lot of random things that I probably shouldn't, which messes with my head and makes my defense even worse. I have zen-like moments where I block everything thrown at me, but they come and go as they please. :(

It's funny you say that when my problem is that I can't hassle people enough to find that opening and capitalize on them. Everything I do is entirely meant for you to make your own mistake and me to get in on it. This game can be so brutal when you want to play with that approach however. It's also somewhat of the reason why I started investing and tried out so many "theory" things with Viper tonight. I wanted to see how effective they would be for me in actual use. (Focus Attack being special cancellable is amazingly busted).

My favorite moments were you whiffing Tron's level 3, then me dashing up with Tron and grabbing you with her level 3. Also coming up with a Magneto/Wesker combo on the fly(call Jaguar Dash, cr.H > Disruptor L, dash-dash-dash launch). Punishing Dorm as an assist with "That's ILLEGAL!" x5 was also hilarious.

You don't know how mad I was at the Tron thing. I was there in the back of my head like "what's her Lvl. 3 motion again" and my hands just did it as if to answer my internal questioning only for me to have the loudest moment of expletives when I saw all the meter go and then you get me. :lol

Funniest match would probably be that one where you got the Arthur/Morrigan/(i forget who) and I had like Captain America/someone/Vergil. The entire time I said to myself "if Vergil comes in, fuck being smart, it's time for some NorCal special". Sure enough, Vergil comes in and Helm Splitter saves the day. :lol

That and the makeshift Taskmaster stuff I did gave me the widest grin.

We both got Tron a LOT.

Personally, I feel like I get way more Viewtiful Joe and Chun Li than anything with Hsien-Ko and Taskmaster playing runners up.

What were you trying to do, exactly? Catch some teleports or something?

Nah, just the dash up Million Carats stuff. The damage on that is fucking absurd, like I'm pretty damn sure that Dante can potentially see 900K if I do that and get the followup Viper Kick - Volcano - 2nd Carats - s.S - Clay Pigeon - Reverb - Million Dollars, but I haven't gotten it even in training mode yet. :lol

shaowebb

I think he runs Zero/Vergil/Strider.

Dang. I'll miss his Magneto, but without the vanilla mobility and DHC glitch he probably wasn't a fit anyways for him anymore. I think he used him for the meter build and DHC glitch to buff his longtime character Zero honestly. Vergil is a good fit for him given the dashing supers and some of his stuff probably feel comfortable to him since he also played Tekkaman Blade who had a few tools reminescent of those. Probably just grabbed him since he's good though and not due to any nostalgia for large hitbox normals and dashes like Blade though.

Is his Strider any good?

Dang. I'll miss his Magneto, but without the vanilla mobility and DHC glitch he probably wasn't a fit anyways for him anymore. I think he used him for the meter build and DHC glitch to buff his longtime character Zero honestly. Vergil is a good fit for him given the dashing supers and some of his stuff probably feel comfortable to him since he also played Tekkaman Blade who had a few tools reminescent of those. Probably just grabbed him since he's good though and not due to any nostalgia for large hitbox normals and dashes like Blade though.

Is his Strider any good?
I don't recall whether his Strider is any good, to be honest. I'll be keeping an eye out, though.

shaowebb

I found a few vids of him playing this team on youtube and it seems Strider is just there for setups for both guys...especially Zero once he gets corner pressure. It sounds like Marn though. His Vanilla team was all about making Zero stronger and this team seems to be about just making Vergil and Zero harder to block stuff against since he seems legit good with both dudes. Really seems good with Vergil. I still miss his Magneto though. Marn was super fast on his stuff with him.

Dahbomb

What ever happened to him on the scene? Did he leave, stop playing so often, or is he just losing?

I still remember his TvC days of being everywhere.
He is into the LoL scene but he does still play Marvel and did decent in his last two tournaments. He fell off the game hard right after Ultimate then made a minor comeback right before EVO. His team is Zero/Vergil/Strider and his Zero does the most work. He isn't a top tier player and far from being a tournament winning player but he is capable of making upsets and acting as a gate keeper.

shaowebb

Marn has said that if you can kill his Zero, then you've probably already won the match. His Vergil and Strider are nothing compared to Zero.

Same as in Vanilla then. His Sentinel was a joke, but I still stand by saying I really enjoyed his Magneto in vanilla. Dude was fast with him. Guy tends to forget to block though. All motion and offense.

Grecco

His vergil is ok. and his strider is there for lvl 3 xfactor comebacs mostly

ill admit though the team is pretty strong (Its the reason i picked it up instead of zmc)

Same as in Vanilla then. His Sentinel was a joke, but I still stand by saying I really enjoyed his Magneto in vanilla. Dude was fast with him. Guy tends to forget to block though. All motion and offense.

He was a Magneto player in MVC2. I'm still shocked that he doesn't use Zero/Vergil/Magneto. I told him to use it on Twitter and I saw him use it once or twice but he must just love Strider assist.

shaowebb

He was a Magneto player in MVC2. I'm still shocked that he doesn't use Zero/Vergil/Magneto. I told him to use it on Twitter and I saw him use it once or twice but he must just love Strider assist.

Likely so. If there is a good assist that makes his best characters have more chances then he doesn't even care if he can use that assist character well. Sent drones were his favorite assist in Vanilla and he couldn't really play Sentinel. I also think he should go for Zero/Vergil/Magneto. Its not like Magneto doesn't have good assists for stuff. This is Marn though and he tends to go all in on his teams for building them up for his best man only.

I'll miss that Magneto.

I'm working on ways to bring Dormammu in through Vergil, and I'm working on a third way, but right now I have these:
Start the round, s.H, Round Trip, Devil Trigger, raw tag Dormammu. If Round Trip hit:
s.S, sj.MMHS, dash + Rapid Slash, s.S, sj.MMHS, Dark Harmonizer, dp.L, qcf.AA (642,500 damage, 2 bars technically).

Vergil bnb that tags Dormammu in:
s.LMH, f.H, dp.L~H, sj.MHS, call Dark Harmonizer, s.H, f.H, qcb.M, s.HS, sj.MMH, qcf.AA -> qcb.AA, qcb.L, qcb.L, qcb.L, rdp.M, ADDF, j.S, qcb.H, qcf.H, qcf.AA (1,102,500 damage, 3 bars)

The second combo might actually do more than ending Vergil's combos with 3 Spiral Sword loops, but I haven't taken the time to determine that for certain.

Solune

I'm working on ways to bring Dormammu in through Vergil, and I'm working on a third way, but right now I have these:
Start the round, s.H, Round Trip, Devil Trigger, raw tag Dormammu. If Round Trip hit:
s.S, sj.MMHS, dash + Rapid Slash, s.S, sj.MMHS, Dark Harmonizer, dp.L, qcf.AA (642,500 damage, 2 bars technically).

Vergil bnb that tags Dormammu in:
s.LMH, f.H, dp.L~H, sj.MHS, call Dark Harmonizer, s.H, f.H, qcb.M, s.HS, sj.MMH, qcf.AA -> qcb.AA, qcb.L, qcb.L, qcb.L, rdp.M, ADDF, j.S, qcb.H, qcf.H, qcf.AA (1,102,500 damage, 3 bars)

The second combo might actually do more than ending Vergil's combos with 3 Spiral Sword loops, but I haven't taken the time to determine that for certain.

Depends on if Vergil uses a normal BnB or a Round Trip BnB, but it should do more damage unless you add Dormammu's assist in there somewhere, then the damage would be equal or Vergil would do about 40-50k more

Frantic

Zero Guard Breaks.

This character. :lol
But Zero already has guard breaks, they're just called mixups. :p

It's funny you say that when my problem is that I can't hassle people enough to find that opening and capitalize on them. Everything I do is entirely meant for you to make your own mistake and me to get in on it. This game can be so brutal when you want to play with that approach however. It's also somewhat of the reason why I started investing and tried out so many "theory" things with Viper tonight. I wanted to see how effective they would be for me in actual use. (Focus Attack being special cancellable is amazingly busted).
Your playstyle works against a lot of characters, but when you're playing against a team that's safe on pretty much everything they do, it doesn't work out quite as well. :p

Funniest match would probably be that one where you got the Arthur/Morrigan/(i forget who) and I had like Captain America/someone/Vergil. The entire time I said to myself "if Vergil comes in, fuck being smart, it's time for some NorCal special". Sure enough, Vergil comes in and Helm Splitter saves the day. :lol
Heh, I got mad that round because I did Arthur's Level 3 against a swinging Vergil, but X-Factored too soon and the dragon didn't come out. I was so sad. :(

Depends on if Vergil uses a normal BnB or a Round Trip BnB, but it should do more damage unless you add Dormammu's assist in there somewhere, then the damage would be equal or Vergil would do about 40-50k more
I tested it, and the Stalking Flare combo does about 100K more.

s.LMH, f.H, dp.L~H, sj.MHS, s.H, f.H, qcb.M, s.HS, sj.MMH, d.H, Dark Hole + Spiral Swords, df.H, j.d+H, release Round Trip, c.H, qcf.L, c.H, Spiral Swords, dp.M, release Round Trip, c.H, qcf.L, c.H, Spiral Swords, dp.M, release Round Trip, c.H, qcf.L, c.H

That does about 1 million.

If I can't afford Chaotic Flame at the end of the better combo, it does 910K and has a net loss of 0.4 bars (including Dark Harmonizer). I'll test the net meter gain/loss of the other combo.

Edit:
The Spiral Sword loops build 0.5 more bars than the above combo. So there's a damage/meter tradeoff. I can loop 3 Spiral Swords off of my first hit in a game, but I can't do the first combo starting from 1 bar (1.5 bars needed). It still gets Dormammu in, though, and it seems like I'll be using them both circumstantially.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
The team was Shulk/Spencer/Sent

SSS

Ssscary oh so scary.

Decided to be smart after like 5 games and put out a Gravimetric Pulse.

That helped.

Solune

I tested it, and the Stalking Flare combo does about 100K more.

s.LMH, f.H, dp.L~H, sj.MHS, s.H, f.H, qcb.M, s.HS, sj.MMH, d.H, Dark Hole + Spiral Swords, df.H, j.d+H, release Round Trip, c.H, qcf.L, c.H, Spiral Swords, dp.M, release Round Trip, c.H, qcf.L, c.H, Spiral Swords, dp.M, release Round Trip, c.H, qcf.L, c.H

That does about 1 million.

If I can't afford Chaotic Flame at the end of the better combo, it does 910K and has a net loss of 0.4 bars (including Dark Harmonizer). I'll test the net meter gain/loss of the other combo.

Edit:
The Spiral Sword loops build 0.5 more bars than the above combo. So there's a damage/meter tradeoff. I can loop 3 Spiral Swords off of my first hit in a game, but I can't do the first combo starting from 1 bar (1.5 bars needed). It still gets Dormammu in, though, and it seems like I'll be using them both circumstantially.

I did a corner carry combo that involves 2 Round Trip sequences + Darkhole.

c.LMH, f.H, dp.L~H, sj.MHS, Dark Hole + c.H, release Round Trip, c.H, qcf.L, c.H, f.H, release Round Trip, c.H, qcf.L, c.H, Spiral Swords, dp.M, release Round Trip, c.H, qcf.L, c.H, Spiral Swords, dp.M, release Round Trip, c.H, qcf.L, c.H, Spiral Swords, dp.M, release Round Trip, c.H, qcf.L, c.H, dp.M

1.2m

Azure J

OK, so I need to know the properties of Nova's Centruion Rush H. I damn near got Merry Christmas'd just now and need as much knowledge on the character as possible.

Follows the same rules as the others but can be used to preserve you S to extend combos further. Pretty much all there is to it. AKA keep damage high.

Also, people will worship the power of grabbers and Strange. FEAR THEM!

Azure J

what was the situation? did you thc and the centurion rush just beat everything?

I figured out what was up and it was actually a mistimed THC in front of a Rocket Punch, although I remembered Centurion Rush H because I was thinking about its projectile invulnerability/armor (which is it and why does it have this).

Top Bottom