• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Xevren

I figured out what was up and it was actually a mistimed THC in front of a Rocket Punch, although I remembered Centurion Rush H because I was thinking about its projectile invulnerability/armor (which is it and why does it have this).

Pretty sure it has a point of armor during the charge.

Solune

Sorry for leaving abruptly Karst, Dinner spontaneously happened. I wanted to try my Chris team against your GR team sometime.

Yeah, GGs. Thanks for playing with me.

I'm still having trouble finding 3 characters that I enjoy using. How advisable is it to learn the bare minimum needed to be competent with a character so you can put them into a team?
Just learn the inputs and ABCs of the character, and I find that I'm good to go.

I would have played more, but I got tired of going back to the character select screen. I needed action! And maybe a break after that very long set with Solune.

I did a corner carry combo that involves 2 Round Trip sequences + Darkhole.

c.LMH, f.H, dp.L~H, sj.MHS, Dark Hole + c.H, release Round Trip, c.H, qcf.L, c.H, f.H, release Round Trip, c.H, qcf.L, c.H, Spiral Swords, dp.M, release Round Trip, c.H, qcf.L, c.H, Spiral Swords, dp.M, release Round Trip, c.H, qcf.L, c.H, Spiral Swords, dp.M, release Round Trip, c.H, qcf.L, c.H, dp.M

1.2m
:-O

Would you make me a video of that?

What if I'm not by the corner to Round Trip off of Stinger?

GatorBait

I'm a little out of the loop, but I heard some of the higher profile players have been messing with Dr. Strange? Anyway have some recent match footage of it I can chill and catch up on?

Dahbomb

I'm a little out of the loop, but I heard some of the higher profile players have been messing with Dr. Strange? Anyway have some recent match footage of it I can chill and catch up on?
Yomacon 2012 all of top 8. Yipes won the tournament with Nova/Spencer/Strange.

In the same time frame, Combofiend won a tournament using the same team at an Arizona tournament.

Just now there is a tournament in Texas where Floe and Fubar are using the same team. This team was invented by Nemo, a Japanese player. He claims it's the best team in the game and Yipes + co are putting it to the test. Rumor has it that NerdJosh might be picking the team up soon to complete the bandwagon.

Honestly it's less a Strange optimized team and more 2 characters that benefit greatly from Bolts of Bolthack assist.

Solune

Will do. GGs. I just noticed this last series how often you mash c.L on wakeup. -_-
Actually I started doing it more often because you didn't really try any meaty attacks. And if you're gonna zone me all the time and I have to work my ass off to get in, You bet I'm gonna go for desperate attacks.
:-O

Would you make me a video of that?

What if I'm not by the corner to Round Trip off of Stinger?

Yah I can do one. I have so many projects I've put on hold that I should commit some time to finishing them. If you haven't carried them to the corner, you should start the SS loops early after the Dark Hole portion of the combo.

Actually I started doing it more often because you didn't really try any meaty attacks. And if you're gonna zone me all the time and I have to work my ass off to get in, You bet I'm gonna go for desperate attacks.
I'm just not very good at timing wakeup stuff. :-( I usually play keepaway characters, so people tend to get up sooner than I think. -_- You made me shout some angry, angry words at the TV today, sir.

You've effectively taken that Akuma team, which was pretty much a gimmick last time, and made it respectable.

Yah I can do one. I have so many projects I've put on hold that I should commit some time to finishing them. If you haven't carried them to the corner, you should start the SS loops early after the Dark Hole portion of the combo.
What projects did you put on hold?

Edit:
Oh yeah, and those Ghost Rider vs. Akuma matches make me recall the thing I hate most about this game: moving before the round starts. I hate it!!! It wouldn't be as bad if everyone had the same walk speed, but why should my zoning characters have to start with Akuma next to them? :-/ I eventually just let you throw me because Akuma can't get anything off of it, and I kept getting zapped by Rising Fang otherwise, which is an assist that reminds me of Double Lariat in levels of frustration is causes. -_-

Edit2:
20 minutes of practice...1 hyper grav loop. -_-

Dante's a lot of work T_T He's so good though.

Might just go back to original Ultimate team of Spider-Man/Nova/Hawkeye. Just gotta get used to converting in as many situations as the main team does. Will run both, Nova probably handles the maul characters a little better.

At least until I can formulate an actual gameplan with Dante.

Space Cop's pretty silly. Hurts so good. If I can get cleaner with him, then hot dog we have a wiener.

Managed to win the year's final tourney here with a combination of movie team, original Ultimate, and original Vanilla :3 Was just a small one due to the snow and timing of it, but still decent enough. Was a good spot to run some alt teams and see what I can do.

shaowebb

Dante's a lot of work T_T He's so good though.

Might just go back to original Ultimate team of Spider-Man/Nova/Hawkeye. Just gotta get used to converting in as many situations as the main team does. Will run both, Nova probably handles the maul characters a little better.

At least until I can formulate an actual gameplan with Dante.

Space Cop's pretty silly. Hurts so good. If I can get cleaner with him, then hot dog we have a wiener.

Managed to win the year's final tourney here with a combination of movie team, original Ultimate, and original Vanilla :3 Was just a small one due to the snow and timing of it, but still decent enough. Was a good spot to run some alt teams and see what I can do.

Huh...for some reason this made me think of Nova with Ammy. Coldstar would be pretty fun with Nova. Anyone run these two together?

I've been using Trish off and on since Vanilla, and I just now discovered that each of her Switch Signs does something different - lol.

Edit: Though I have no idea why anyone would use anything but the H version.

Solune

I'm just not very good at timing wakeup stuff. :-( I usually play keepaway characters, so people tend to get up sooner than I think. -_- You made me shout some angry, angry words at the TV today, sir.
LOL I feel both apologetic and satisfied at the same time. Now you know how it feels when I literally can't do anything against Dorm sometimes!
You've effectively taken that Akuma team, which was pretty much a gimmick last time, and made it respectable.
I feel like, I took your advice and play pretty solid without relying on assists too heavily other than calling Rising Fang sparingly. The problem is Iron Fist has Doctor Doom syndrome. Free against Dormammu and I rely on his assist to open people up. Otherwise it feels really fun using Akuma flipping everywhere and stuff.
What projects did you put on hold?

Was working on a Zero Goes with Everything video for MM25 anniversary. But I got frustrated because , it takes too many attempts sometimes to record something simple. Also that Chris video as well that I was going to upload for the contest.

Edit:
Oh yeah, and those Ghost Rider vs. Akuma matches make me recall the thing I hate most about this game: moving before the round starts. I hate it!!! It wouldn't be as bad if everyone had the same walk speed, but why should my zoning characters have to start with Akuma next to them? :-/ I eventually just let you throw me because Akuma can't get anything off of it, and I kept getting zapped by Rising Fang otherwise, which is an assist that reminds me of Double Lariat in levels of frustration is causes. -_-

Haha well, the assist is still tacked onto Iron Fist! But yeah I was definitely abusing it for the projectile absorption and obviously the Raccoon-esque stuff. Since we're pointing out things, I notice you almost always pushblock the 2nd attack of blockstrings, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but if I was able to capitalize on that, would make things messy. Also a few rounds to seemed to be noticeably off with Dormammu, very uncharacteristic drops or standing still. We did play alot before you switched though so that's understandable. One last thing, when playing Vergil, I wouldn't always go for Rapid Slash after a block string =p. I had more observations but I've forgotten.

LOL I feel both apologetic and satisfied at the same time. Now you know how it feels when I literally can't do anything against Dorm sometimes!
I know what it feels like to be helpless - I've faced Zero. :-(

I feel like, I took your advice and play pretty solid without relying on assists too heavily other than calling Rising Fang sparingly. The problem is Iron Fist has Doctor Doom syndrome. Free against Dormammu and I rely on his assist to open people up. Otherwise it feels really fun using Akuma flipping everywhere and stuff.
Well, you could ditch Wesker and get an assist that actually helps your team. He's just there for the XF3 comebacks, yah? And his DHC isn't doing anything when you nail those Fist of Fury punishes. If you nabbed Arthur...maybe I'm just on an Arthur kick, though. I always hated him, but the j.S change makes him so much more interesting to play. A total blast to use. I know I always say I used Blackheart/Sentinel/CapCom in MvC2, but I actually always swapped between Blackheart and Spiral depending on the matchup, so I have a soft spot for Arthur's playstyle. If Dormammu had the tracking Purification assist, I'd run Arthur/Dormammu/Morrigan, in that order. I think he'd get roasted with just Dark Harmonizer backing him, though!

Was working on a Zero Goes with Everything video for MM25 anniversary. But I got frustrated because , it takes too many attempts sometimes to record something simple. Also that Chris video as well that I was going to upload for the contest.
Ah.

Haha well, the assist is still tacked onto Iron Fist! But yeah I was definitely abusing it for the projectile absorption and obviously the Raccoon-esque stuff. Since we're pointing out things, I notice you almost always pushblock the 2nd attack of blockstrings, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but if I was able to capitalize on that, would make things messy. Also a few rounds to seemed to be noticeably off with Dormammu, very uncharacteristic drops or standing still. We did play alot before you switched though so that's understandable. One last thing, when playing Vergil, I wouldn't always go for Rapid Slash after a block string =p. I had more observations but I've forgotten.
Double Lariat was attached to Vanilla Haggar, and I hated that assist more than anything in life because it made some characters basically 9-1 against Dormammu (goddamn Chris). There wasn't a damn thing I could do about it. Rising Fang is brutal in some additional ways, too. It's weird that sometimes Iron Fist would get nailed by Ghost Rider's pillar, and sometimes he'd just cruise right through it.

I always pushblock ASAP because it tends to make my opponent whiff a third attack for Chaotic Flame punishing. I've honestly never suffered any kind of consequence from pushblocking ASAP unless my opponent is using someone like Magneto and delaying c.Ls. Also, I swear Captain America's Shield Toss has almost no blockstun to pushblock it from.

My Dormammu is really off because I haven't played him in weeks. I've been doing nothing but the Ghost Rider team. I was also trying some new ways of utilizing Rapid Slash, which tended to make me do weird stuff that didn't always work out. It's funny, I started using Vergil because Spiral Swords works so well with Dark Harmonizer, but now I'm attached to Rapid Slash. I know I go into Rapid Slash too often, and I get punished for it, but I honestly just go autopilot with him a lot.

Two things bother me about Vergil:
1) I have to get in. I'm not a fan of always having to be in close contact. I'm a very keepaway-minded person. I just feel better when my opponent is far away, hah.

2) I can't cancel whiffed moves into specials. It makes my attack attempts extremely stressful. :-(

mr. puppy

Banned
So Marlinpie said Chrisg has officially switched to Vergil/Morrigan/Doom (he says it at 3:03 in this video: http://www.twitch.tv/8wayrun/b/339192701). That and Viper/Dante/Strider are pretty much the two best teams in the game.

I wish he'd try out Magneto more but I guess thats fine. I figure you can just fly around and call Morrigan all day and have easy DHCs into astral vision, along with 3 characters that are pretty good against incoming stuff.

However, Vergil is so much better at killing characters and fits so well with the 'chip you to death' team that ChrisG already has that it doesn't really matter.

Dahbomb

Viper/Dante/Strider is one of the top teams in the game. Morrigan/Vergil/Doom is an excellent team but not end game. You can substitute Morrigan for Magneto and the team is just as good. Hell you can even replace Vergil with Dorm.

Nova/Dante/Strider is a top team as well IMO.

Dahbomb

Dante + Strider is a certified top tier duo.

Nova + Strider is a certified top tier duo.

Nova can throw into raw tag full Dante combo for 800k+ damage. Safe DHC in second spot. Nova can use two of Dantes assists depending on the match up. Marvelo from Florida uses this team to good effect. Dante + Nova THC is also extremely potent for both assist punishment and mix ups.

Not as good as VDS but still a very potent team.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Dante + Strider is a certified top tier duo.

Nova + Strider is a certified top tier duo.

Nova can throw into raw tag full Dante combo for 800k+ damage. Safe DHC in second spot. Nova can use two of Dantes assists depending on the match up. Marvelo from Florida uses this team to good effect.

Not as good as VDS but still a very potent team.

What can Nova do with Strider?

mr. puppy

Banned
Viper/Dante/Strider is one of the top teams in the game. Morrigan/Vergil/Doom is an excellent team but not end game. You can substitute Morrigan for Magneto and the team is just as good. Hell you can even replace Vergil with Dorm.

Vergil beats Hawkeye far better than those other two characters. Hawkeye is going to be the default counterpick for a lot of these missiles zoning teams.

mr. puppy

Banned
Dahbomb for the guy who can write essays about the littlest things in this game you're really not helping out here.

well the basics is that Nova loves any OTG, and gets great damage off of them. Especially from how far away he can confirm them. He can basically OTG off of Strider better than anyone in the cast except maybe Viper. Go watch Marvelo play, thats pretty much the guy for this. He posts on the Nova boards on SRK all the time.

LakeEarth

Honestly it's less a Strange optimized team and more 2 characters that benefit greatly from Bolts of Bolthack assist.
That assist is top 5 easy. It's a beam assist that lasts forever, so it's a good lockdown assist, but has that gap which gives a small chance for a mixup between beams if they block. It still combos if it hits. Gives the user more than a second to hit confirm.

Only negatives I see is that it takes a while to come out. And it doesn't work as well when it hits an airborne opponent.

mr. puppy

Banned
i was banned during all of the ridiculous Dr. Strange hype for trolling poligaf, but lemme just say that the people who think he is amazing are only looking at his ability to TOD, SoV and his Beams. If you he is actually on the screen, and you're playing against Zero, Magneto, Wolverine or Vergil, he is complete and utter crap (unless you have Lariat or something).

Hes basically Dorm with crappier point capabilities but better Support. Its just too many other characters in the game can do similar things but are better than him on point.

Dahbomb

If you want to see how crazy Bolts of Balthakk is, check this video out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryp8qvcbB8Q&fmt=6

There's a point where Thor gets a combo from full screen from it. And Thor is definitely one of the characters that can make the most use of Bolts of Balthakk.
Ok I have known since day 1 that Strange plus Thor is BFF status but this takes it to a while new level. That shit was boss as fuck.... Is this posted on the SRK front page?

i was banned during all of the ridiculous Dr. Strange hype for trolling poligaf, but lemme just say that the people who think he is amazing are only looking at his ability to TOD, SoV and his Beams. If you he is actually on the screen, and you're playing against Zero, Magneto, Wolverine or Vergil, he is complete and utter crap (unless you have Lariat or something).

Hes basically Dorm with crappier point capabilities but better Support. Its just too many other characters in the game can do similar things but are better than him on point.
Haggar won Evo 2011.

Ok I have known since day 1 that Strange plus Thor is BFF status but this takes it to a while new level. That shit was boss as fuck.... Is this posted on the SRK front page?
Naw, it was posted by a GFAQs regular who is always trying to convince everyone that Thor is top tier.

Dahbomb

Is it the one with Gravimetric Pulse H?

Can't find that video anywhere but it was pretty old and like no one uses it for some reason.
Yea it is.

Also there was a Thor guard break in that video. Someone would really submit that video to SRK.... with the recent Strange uprising its about time people give Thor the respect he deserves.

Bolts is an assist that everybody knew would be one of the best in the game from the first reveal, but nobody was sure enough about Dr.Strange yet. I was so sure I was going to wind up playing Strange when that assist was shown, but I had a lot of trouble wrapping my brain around the dude.

If you want to see how crazy Bolts of Balthakk is, check this video out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryp8qvcbB8Q&fmt=6

There's a point where Thor gets a combo from full screen from it. And Thor is definitely one of the characters that can make the most use of Bolts of Balthakk.

I actually think Thor becomes a real contender with Bolts assist. I've been using Thor/Strange/Wesker almost exclusively for this past week, and there's some serious stuff going on here. So my presets right now are:

Wesker/Spencer/Akuma
Phoenix/X-23/Magneto
Thor/Strange/Wesker

I'm still messing around with the battery teams, seeing if anything interesting comes up. So far it's not super interesting, but they're teams that I need to play against people to see if they work or not.

Dahbomb

Everyone looks like a godly zoner against Hsien Ko though.

But RR has pretty sick stalling options. He can sit on his traps/spring trap, he can burrow underground, he can float in the sky and he can fill screen with projectiles. The stalling allows him to easily waste Vergils Spiral Swords.

In related news....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5M6eykCPfg&sns=em

AAAAAAWWWWWWW SSSSSSHHHHHIIIIIIITTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup, if a Raccoon wants to stall and manages to burrow underground, I don't think there's much anyone can do until he runs out of meter.

Seeing CJ play gave me an idea that I can't try right now. So, pretty much what he was doing was forcing them in the corner with the log trap after the reset so that they had to block the flames on the ground and mix them up, but can anyone check if it's possible to just go for the unblockable or does the blockstun end too early?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Everyone looks like a godly zoner against Hsien Ko though.

But RR has pretty sick stalling options. He can sit on his traps/spring trap, he can burrow underground, he can float in the sky and he can fill screen with projectiles. The stalling allows him to easily waste Vergils Spiral Swords.

In related news....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5M6eykCPfg&sns=em

AAAAAAWWWWWWW SSSSSSHHHHHIIIIIIITTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=44210145&postcount=460

Top Bottom