• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Ok, mostly through testing my teams now. Thor/Strange/Wesker is getting dropped, as well as all the Morrigan teams. I'll be using Wesker/Spencer/Akuma and Phoenix/X-23/Magneto in the meantime. I'm pretty burned out on team construction right now.

Because I would rather have the Mighty Hurricane to projectile counter DHC for the Strange loops. Thor's DHCs to Wesker aren't that hot.

I mean, they're ok, but not amazing. Whereas Strange is a top 5 support character.

edit: I wonder why nobody plays Magneto/Morrigan/Doom. I wonder if you can get a Soul Drain off of Shockwave DHC Astral Vision because the pillars would push the opponent into her clone.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
This isn't good I went to the character select screen and said "where is Thor?"

Thor's back dash isn't as shitty as I thought it was

I think I fucked up my arm moving something earlier today. Left hand moving slow as all hell.

Because I would rather have the Mighty Hurricane to projectile counter DHC for the Strange loops. Thor's DHCs to Wesker aren't that hot.

I mean, they're ok, but not amazing. Whereas Strange is a top 5 support character.

edit: I wonder why nobody plays Magneto/Morrigan/Doom. I wonder if you can get a Soul Drain off of Shockwave DHC Astral Vision because the pillars would push the opponent into her clone.
Also, Strange has a tendency to get mixed up and killed as he enters, and it's better to have XF3 Wesker than XF3 Strange. You can always DHC Wesker in.

ChrisG tried Magneto/Morrigan/Doom and didn't stick with it for some reason.

This isn't good I went to the character select screen and said "where is Thor?"

Thor's back dash isn't as shitty as I thought it was
I never know where anyone is on the character select screen. -_-

Thor has a good backdash, just a terrible forward dash.

Sayah

Ah. You were the finest evidence that Sentinel's c.M is unblockable. :)

Do you still use She-Hulk? I think you used She-Hulk/Tron, and I forget your third character.

It was She-Hulk/Tron/Trish. I remember you destroyed me with your dormammu/sentinel/morrigan team 20-1, lol. That dorm was mad skill. Opinions on Sentinel never changed, though. Just one of those characters I really despise. Sort of like Bob from Tekken.

Later, I switched my team to Magneto, Trish, Dante which was better for me overall. Played a lot against Ultimoo and Azure Runner. It's been so long.

Dahbomb

Neither of those characters are top tier though. Phoenix was the best in Vanilla now she doesn't qualify for top 10.

Sentinel is probably top tier online though.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Is it possible to the the otg assist 3 Mighty Strike thing midscreen?

I can get 830k with this team nothing fancy just 1 bar and one assist but it seems to only be in the corner so far.

I'd rather dhc into Gamma Crush anywhere for 900k+ and less work.

Sentinel is a piece of trash trolling garbage. As is Dark Phoenix. The main two characters I had a problem with in Vanilla. I would like Marvel more if it was more balanced. But it's also undeniably one of the most fun fighters I've ever played so there's that.
ROFL, it's like Vanilla all over again. I thought I clicked on the wrong thread.

Look, it's fine if you have problems with certain characters. We all do. But your problem in Vanilla (who knows how well you play now) wasn't Sentinel, it was that you weren't good at the game. There's no excuse at all to lose to point Sentinel when you use Vanilla She-Hulk backed by Vanilla Gustaff Fire. That's a ridiculously bad matchup for Sentinel.

Marvel is one of the most balanced fighting games in existence for what it offers: unique and interesting characters. This isn't like MK9 or Tekken, where every character has slight variations of the same moveset.

It was She-Hulk/Tron/Trish. I remember you destroyed me with your dormammu/sentinel/morrigan team 20-1, lol. That dorm was mad skill. Opinions on Sentinel never changed, though. Just one of those characters I really despise. Sort of like Bob from Tekken.

Later, I switched my team to Magneto, Trish, Dante which was better for me overall. Played a lot against Ultimoo and Azure Runner. It's been so long.
Magneto is arguably the best character in Ultimate, so you should be pleased.

Ultimoo is nowhere to be seen, and SolarPowered (Azure Runner) mostly plays Skull Girls.

There's a healthy number of active PSN players, though. There's a spreadsheet in this thread's OP to add your name to and friend a bunch of people from.
Stay away from God's Beard.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Man damagel scaling fucks Thor up so bad.

Only 770k for a practical version of the combo.

750k starting with a command grab. All that work for bleh.

edit- wait I'm dumb forgot a part of the combo I see from videos and stuff

no yeah still not that good

Sayah

ROFL, it's like Vanilla all over again. I thought I clicked on the wrong thread.

Look, it's fine if you have problems with certain characters. We all do. But your problem in Vanilla (who knows how well you play now) wasn't Sentinel, it was that you weren't good at the game. There's no excuse at all to lose to point Sentinel when you use Vanilla She-Hulk backed by Vanilla Gustaff Fire. That's a ridiculously bad matchup for Sentinel.

Marvel is one of the most balanced fighting games in existence for what it offers: unique and interesting characters. This isn't like MK9 or Tekken, where every character has slight variations of the same moveset.

Magneto is arguably the best character in Ultimate, so you should be pleased.

Ultimoo is nowhere to be seen, and SolarPowered (Azure Runner) mostly plays Skull Girls.

There's a healthy number of active PSN players, though. There's a spreadsheet in this thread's OP to add your name to and friend a bunch of people from.
Stay away from God's Beard.
Yeah, I noticed Ultimoo hasn't signed on PSN for months. His Tron was super deadly.

Also added myself to spreadsheet. :)

And I'm not sure what to say about Tekken characters having slightly varied movesets. Have you played the series extensively or more recently T6 and TTT2?

Yeah, I noticed Ultimoo hasn't signed on PSN for months. His Tron was super deadly.
Indeed it was!

Also added myself to spreadsheet. :)
Cool. Feel free to add me on PSN. I don't remember what your PSN was, so I'm not sure if it's been removed over time. I recently had to axe a bunch of names, so if yours was among them, it was nothing personal. I just had to clear space.

And I'm not sure what to say about Tekken characters having slightly varied movesets. Have you played the series extensively or more recently T6 and TTT2?
I've played it casually.

What I mean by slightly varied is that the characters all work on the same basic framework. You won't find anything extremely creative and interesting in Tekken like the following:
1) A fireball that tracks you forever.
2) A character who is reborn after she dies into a more powerful form.
3) A character who can "level up" and gain new attacks.
4) Different methods of movement such as flight and 8-way air dashes.
5) Traps.
6) Full-screen grapples.
7) A move that clones your character on your opponent's opposite side.
8) A move that attaches to your opponent and explodes after a few seconds.
9) Beams of light that fill the entire screen.
10) A move that forms a circle of projectiles around your character like a tu-tu.

I could go on like this, but the point is that Marvel characters are extremely diverse in what they can do, and it's impressive that so much exists in this game while 75% of the cast is competitively viable. The vast majority of Tekken characters are walking piles of different frame data. As with Street Fighter and MK9, their differences are comparatively subtle.

Dahbomb

Comparing Tekken to Marvel is like comparing RE4 to Vanquish.

FFS there aren't even right/left mix ups in Tekken. When I started playing VS games after coming from a Tekken background I couldn't block cross ups even the obvious ones. I was also trained to block high by default and react to lows not the other way around.

Marvel is fairly balanced where most characters don't even operate at the same rules as any other character.

Azure J

Spoken like a true Mike Ross fan.

Ether.

Also, the best things in Marvel are those that become practical after hearing how "theory" they are. Was playing a ranked match where I was doing my zoning with Seismo + Jam Session keeing them away from Viper only to see a teleport and instantly react with a jump canceled Focus Attack to absorb the hit and then a EX Thunder Knuckle to catch a Happy Birthday when they reappeared behind me calling an assist.

Dat Viper Tech™

Sayah

Indeed it was!

Cool. Feel free to add me on PSN. I don't remember what your PSN was, so I'm not sure if it's been removed over time. I recently had to axe a bunch of names, so if yours was among them, it was nothing personal. I just had to clear space.

I've played it casually.

What I mean by slightly varied is that the characters all work on the same basic framework. You won't find anything extremely creative and interesting in Tekken like the following:
1) A fireball that tracks you forever.
2) A character who is reborn after she dies into a more powerful form.
3) A character who can "level up" and gain new attacks.
4) Different methods of movement such as flight and 8-way air dashes.
5) Traps.
6) Full-screen grapples.
7) A move that clones your character on your opponent's opposite side.
8) A move that attaches to your opponent and explodes after a few seconds.
9) Beams of light that fill the entire screen.
10) A move that forms a circle of projectiles around your character like a tu-tu.

I could go on like this, but the point is that Marvel characters are extremely diverse in what they can do, and it's impressive that so much exists in this game while 75% of the cast is competitively viable. The vast majority of Tekken characters are walking piles of different frame data. As with Street Fighter and MK9, their differences are comparatively subtle.

I definitely see where you're coming from. I can't speak for SF or MK but as a 3D fighter, Tekken works in a completely different way from Marvel. The characters are greatly varied but not in the same sense. You have some characters that rely on back stances (Xiaoyu, Raven), you have the ones that have crazy execution requirements (Mishimas), you have many that have their own unique stances (Eddy, Hwoarang, Zafina) and there's also the ones that play completely abnormally in comparison to the other characters (Steve). All the characters have anywhere from 100-200 moves and the vast majority of these moves is unique to that character (excluding the few clones in TTT2 of course). Yet, I would also consider Tekken to be greatly balanced. Each character is viable and player skill level will always override character tier list. And many of these characters take months to learn. It can be completely overwhelming at first when you have a character with so many different options. Knowing when to use which move under which situation is tough.

At the end of the day, high-level Tekken play is all about mind games. Movement, spacing, side-stepping, poking, punishing, high-mid-low mixups, etc. Local battles can be so insanely stressful and pressurizing. Sorry for so much text. I don't mean to derail this topic but I highly recommend anyone and everyone to try out Tekken more seriously especially if you have local competition.

And I'll send you a FR shortly.

Sayah

Comparing Tekken to Marvel is like comparing RE4 to Vanquish.

FFS there aren't even right/left mix ups in Tekken. When I started playing VS games after coming from a Tekken background I couldn't block cross ups even the obvious ones. I was also trained to block high by default and react to lows not the other way around.

Marvel is fairly balanced where most characters don't even operate at the same rules as any other character.

You guys are obviously better at this and understand MvC3 at a much higher level. I also love Marvel but I want to give an example scenario to understand how we are determining balance.

Assuming this is vanilla marvel since I haven't played Ultimate yet, you have two players that are relatively equally skilled. Player A chooses Felicia, Hsien-Ko and Shuma and Player B chooses Wesker, Magneto and Phoenix. Wouldn't everyone place their bets on the latter team?

I've never understood the appeal of stances. I find them annoying, and I'd rather have my entire character available to me at any given time. It's the one thing I never liked about Nightmare.

You guys are obviously better at this and understand MvC3 at a much higher level. I also love Marvel but I want to give an example scenario to understand how we are determining balance.

Assuming this is vanilla marvel since I haven't played Ultimate yet, you have two players that are relatively equally skilled. Player A chooses Felicia, Hsien-Ko and Shuma and Player B chooses Wesker, Magneto and Phoenix. Wouldn't everyone place their bets on the latter team?
Everyone here accepts that Vanilla Marvel had some ridiculously OP characters. Ultimate's best characters are still manageable by the worst characters. To put it roughly, the game is more like BlazBlue now. There's a Tager or two, but most of the characters are competitively viable. Evo 2012's top 8, IIRC, had like 16 different characters in it. I don't know a ton about Tekken's balance, but I know that every Tekken 6 tournament seems to have a Law or two in Grand Finals.

Sayah

I agree, RE4 is the greatest game of all time and Vanquish nobody cared about until it was cheap enough for one or two people to finally want.

hahahahaha.

I've never understood the appeal of stances. I find them annoying, and I'd rather have my entire character available to me at any given time. It's the one thing I never liked about Nightmare.

Stance sort of can play a huge role in mixup games since for many characters, various different moves can be cancelled into or can lead to a stance.

Everyone here accepts that Vanilla Marvel had some ridiculously OP characters. Ultimate's best characters are still manageable by the worst characters. To put it roughly, the game is more like BlazBlue now. There's a Tager or two, but most of the characters are competitively viable. Evo 2012's top 8, IIRC, had like 16 different characters in it. I don't know a ton about Tekken's balance, but I know that every Tekken 6 tournament seems to have a Law or two in Grand Finals.
That's very good to hear. Looking forward to playing this.

And yeah, Law's and Bob's dominated Evo 2011 for Tekken 6 unfortunately. But law is probably B+ on the tier list.

Edit: Also, stances are good tools for mixup games since a lot of moves can be cancelled into or can lead to a stance for various characters.

Soul Calibur's stances aren't really about changing your move set. Nightmare's stances work like Iron Fist's rekkas or Kung Lao's teleport in MK9, they aren't really a new movelist but a mixup chain. They can cancel out recovery, then go into a slow startup but safe on block move or bait your counterhit attempt with a auto-GI move. Or he could just stop and try for a throw. Or a different stance might have the side effect of moving him out of the corner while letting him retaliate because he doesn't have a lot of quick options.

He has a lot of really scary but unsafe mixups that make him a super momentum-heavy character. Because characters don't die as fast in SCV as Marvel, he can afford to make a wrong guess because one good one can swing things heavily for him. Which is why he wins tournaments.

Alright, so the last time I made a big post about where my team is at, I had finally decided to give in an pick Vergil because he seemed to fit so well for my team. I'm pleased to say that appearances did not deceive, and Vergil fits fantastically with Dormammu and Morrigan. Dark Harmonizer lets me Spiral Swords all day, and yet I still have plenty of meter for Dormammu if Vergil dies. Rapid Slash is also a fantastic assist for Dormammu, far better than I thought it was going to be.

Feeling a sense of satisfaction that I had found the best team for Dormammu/Morrigan, I decided to make a Ghost Rider team and finally enjoy a full-time alt team. Amazingly, putting together what I consider to be the optimal Ghost Rider team took far less time than figuring out the best Dormammu team. Likely because Ghost Rider's needs are far more apparent than Dormammu's, so I was able to do a simple process of elimination to break it down to two possible team combinations, and I like one of them a lot more than the other.

I have been playing the Ghost Rider team for a few weeks and love it...too much. As in, when I play someone, I'd rather use the Ghost Rider team than my main team. The win ratio is roughly the same against my regular opponents, but the Ghost Rider team is just way more fun. Thus I asked myself: "Why is the Ghost Rider team more fun?" The answer was apparent: the team is all about Ghost Rider, and if Ghost Rider does well, I keep using him throughout the match and get to win with him. With my Dormammu team, Dormammu is the second character, and if Vergil is alive, there's no good reason to pop Dormammu in over Vergil. I even tried making it a point to put Dormammu in play, but it's hard to justify DHCing instead of doing sword loops since it's notably suboptimal.

So, I am back to the drawing board, but this time not because the team does not work well, but because I want a team where I can rock Dormammu for most or all of the match. It seems I have two options:
1) Play a meter-building character and DHC Dormammu in ASAP.
2) Pair Dormammu with a "get off me" assist so he can reasonably start the round against the likes of Wolverine.

For the first team type, I'll likely experiment with Trish, though there's very little synergy between Trish and Morrigan it seems. For the second team type, I'm not sure what to do, but I'll keep thinking on it.

As always, suggestions are welcome. I don't expect people to resolve my dilemmas, but it helps me to type this all out so I know where I am.

FSLink

Banned
:D, I can do lightning loops now.
Zero/Doom/Vergil for main team. Maybe Strange instead of Doom. We'll see. Getting better at Flames loop, at least I understand how it works but the timing/height spacing is pretty weird.

if Vergil is alive, there's no good reason to pop Dormammu in over Vergil.
Ah, the old "Slant Shot assist makes every team a Spencer team" syndrome.

I want a team where I can rock Dormammu for most or all of the match. It seems I have two options:
1) Play a meter-building character and DHC Dormammu in ASAP.
2) Pair Dormammu with a "get off me" assist so he can reasonably start the round against the likes of Wolverine.

For the first team type, I'll likely experiment with Trish, though there's very little synergy between Trish and Morrigan it seems. For the second team type, I'm not sure what to do, but I'll keep thinking on it.

As always, suggestions are welcome. I don't expect people to resolve my dilemmas, but it helps me to type this all out so I know where I am.
3)Make a TAC infinite team and air tag to Dorm every time you so much as touch anything.

edit: Champ playing GR on stream karst

Dahbomb

Ghost Rider fucking won a legit tournament.

My mind is full of fuck right now.

fOUFb.jpg

Frantic

Strider on point might work if you want to get Dorm in ASAP. His start of the round options are pretty strong, simply because he has a very fast walk speed, fast normals, strong throw option selects, and ways to escape pressure with Excalibur. If you get a hit, you could guarantee a full bar with your team, and then Legion > Stalking Flare DHC combos even at full screen(at least against mid-size characters. No idea about small characters).

I use that strategy sometimes when I can't escape the start of the round with Dante. Strider has a better chance of escaping than Dante, which allows me to play the neutral, get two bars, Legion > Round Harvest > raw tag Dante in and start Dante's game when they're locked down.

Ah, the old "Slant Shot assist makes every team a Spencer team" syndrome.
Indeed. :-(

3)Make a TAC infinite team and air tag to Dorm every time you so much as touch anything.
Dormammu has one of the hardest TAC infinites in the game. No way.

edit: Champ playing GR on stream karst
I was watching! It was pretty good Ghost Rider play. Hopefully people will shut up about Ghost Rider being "the worst in the game". He's a solid character.

Strider on point might work if you want to get Dorm in ASAP. His start of the round options are pretty strong, simply because he has a very fast walk speed, fast normals, strong throw option selects, and ways to escape pressure with Excalibur. If you get a hit, you could guarantee a full bar with your team, and then Legion > Stalking Flare DHC combos even at full screen(at least against mid-size characters. No idea about small characters).

I use that strategy sometimes when I can't escape the start of the round with Dante. Strider has a better chance of escaping than Dante, which allows me to play the neutral, get two bars, Legion > Round Harvest > raw tag Dante in and start Dante's game when they're locked down.
Strider is in the same league as Vergil for me. I mean, if I can survive long enough to get 2 bars, why not keep Strider on point and keep rocking? Especially since I love playing Strider. I love spamming the animal summons, like there's a goddamn zoo coming at you. It's an idea, though. I like Morrigan/Dormammu/Strider. Though then I would face that awful question I always have: call Dark Harmonizer, or call Vajra?

I remember showing God's Beard Ghost Rider's easy-peasy backwards wavedash, and I will never forget that salty look on his face when I told him how easy it was. :lol :lol

Frantic

Strider is in the same league as Vergil for me. I mean, if I can survive long enough to get 2 bars, why not keep Strider on point and keep rocking? Especially since I love playing Strider. I love spamming the animal summons, like there's a goddamn zoo coming at you. It's an idea, though. I like Morrigan/Dormammu/Strider. Though then I would face that awful question I always have: call Dark Harmonizer, or call Vajra?
Cuz you want that Vajra assist. ;)

Personally, I would DHC Strider out just because the idea of possibly having Strider with 2 Orb supers during XF2 sounds really good to me.

Cuz you want that Vajra assist. ;)

Personally, I would DHC Strider out just because the idea of possibly having Strider with 2 Orb supers during XF2 sounds really good to me.
The Vajra assist is pretty good for Dormammu, but it's really great for Morrigan. I also doubt I could pull double orbs off even with this team if I'm starting out with Legion -> Stalking Flare and then playing Dormammu as the normal, meter consuming monster I use him as.

Zissou

I find myself wishing more and more these days that the whole start of the round gambit didn't exist. I understand it would put characters like wolverine at a disadvantage in certain kinds of zoning match-ups where he already has difficulty, so it might require tweaking of other things too, but it's dumb that certain characters can practically take an entire match off winning a heavily-weighted-in-their-favor round of rock paper scissors at the start.

smurfx

get some go again
I find myself wishing more and more these days that the whole start of the round gambit didn't exist. I understand it would put characters like wolverine at a disadvantage in certain kinds of zoning match-ups where he already has difficulty, so it might require tweaking of other things too, but it's dumb that certain characters can practically take an entire match off winning a heavily-weighted-in-their-favor round of rock paper scissors at the start.
shits awesome son.

Zissou

awesome when you're the hulk/wolverine/haggar/whoever player
/salt

The opening gambit is like TACs- it dumbs down the game. If TOD combos were not the norm, it'd be completely fine though.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

and some can instantly win at the end so what :p

Dahbomb

I agree, RE4 is the greatest game of all time and Vanquish nobody cared about until it was cheap enough for one or two people to finally want.
Negro plz.

Karst said:
It was pretty good Ghost Rider play. Hopefully people will shut up about Ghost Rider being "the worst in the game". He's a solid character.
He's
not worst in the game but he's bottom 5 free. He is to Fchamp what IF is Justin Wong.... A character that he legitimately likes and has fun with plus also plays the character at a high enough level but can't succeed with it on a consistent basis. That grand final Ghost Rider showing was ass, he was getting worked by fucking Haggar. At least Justin won the entire tournament with IF, Fchamp busted it out against a Haggar team at the end to say he won a tournament with Ghost Rider.

I was watching! It was pretty good Ghost Rider play. Hopefully people will shut up about Ghost Rider being "the worst in the game". He's a solid character.

I still think GR is a pretty crappy character overall, but he does have a couple unique advantages. He's got the best snapback in the game, and doesn't his TAC have a huge hitbox as well? I don't know if you could really make a tournament worthy team that exploits those advantages well enough, though.

Dahbomb

FChamp Ghost Rider/Dorm/ Doom (Plasma Beam)

He only used it in GF against a point Haggar team.... and Ghost Rider still got worked except for like 1 game.

shaowebb

He only used it in GF against a point Haggar team.... and Ghost Rider still got worked except for like 1 game.

Huh...he actually used to use Ghost Rider/Sent/Phoenix early on. His tactic was popping fires up to eat certain assists so he could call drones and then going nuts with the chain. He was taking on a Wesker team when I saw it and I think it might have been Mine, but it got him safe drones. Course he kind of got stomped using it though and took a beating to chain a man. I'm kind of shocked he wasn't using Drones since thats what most people use Doom for. Was he jump chaining the guy during plasma beam the whole time?

smurfx

get some go again

well ghost rider is such a hard match up for haggar so champ might as well use him.

Top Bottom