• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

I'm making huge strides with my Magneto movement. I can swap between joker/ray ray-style Mag Blast rushdown and auto-correct airdash crossups pretty freely. My Magneto speed has close to doubled in the past week. I'm still cleaning up my grounded plink dashes(damn you Beef!), but once I've got the timing for that figured out I'll be 100% confident in my mobility. Like Southtown confident. Phoenix/X-23/Magneto is looking more and more like my main team now, and I'm leaning towards anchor Magneto with everything.

Auto correct is making me want to revisit an old friend, though...

Ghost Rider's back wavedashes are just that easy! Don't get mad at me! :lol

mr. puppy

Banned
lol I can't land a single Rocket Raccoon combo in a real match. I should not blow all of my time in training mode trying to do boulder loops :\

Zissou

I got blown up by a shuma player online. I've played against shuma a total of twice up until now, and I had no idea what was and was not a cross up. Also, deadpool backed up by mystic ray is scary :(

Akuma combos can get pretty long... especially if you add both supers. I think if you have more fun doing Akuma combos, it's the way that he flows. I mean I love doing Wesker combos, don't get tired of them even if I do them all the time. But the dude moves buttery smooth. Iron Man has cool combos too, but if I didn't drop them all the time because of bad hitboxes and strict timing maybe I'd use him. It's ironic that a character with insanely good hitboxes also has shit movement and other crappy tools to offset them.
That must be it. I love doing Wesker combos, too. I love Morrigan combos in the 5% of the time I complete anything beyond an ABC.

It's hard as hell online. I did it once and that was against fat fuck Nemesis.
It can't be that hard. My rule of execution is that if I can do it in under 5 tries in training mode, it'll be easy to do online on a good connection once I master it. I did Nova's H loops my first try, so...

It's actually a good thing that 90% of everything is bad. Since there isn't enough time for one person to experience even the 10% that is good, you're missing out on less!
I'd rather the 90% of stuff not exist. :p

Karst if I'm using Vergil/Morrigan, is it better to try to get max damage out of a morrigan DHC, or is it better to go Devil Trigger->AstralVision in order to set up bullet hell?
You should test the damage on the following:
1) Sword loop ender.
2) Dimension Slash -> Shadow Servant
3) Dimension Slash -> Astral Vision, Soul Drain, fly, j.S, Shadow Blade H

Out of a throw, you can try:
Devil Trigger -> Astral Vision, Soul Fist loops

My rule is to only DHC if it will kill, though the Soul Drain follow-up from Dimension Slash is excellent for certain opponents.

What are all the assists that have positive recovery(can call another assist during its active frames)?
So, basically all of the trap assists?

I think I might...Start playing this game again. damn it...
A gentleman like you would be welcome!

I hope you don't ever reach the stage where you have to change your main team like me Azure.
Sometimes I feel like you're trying to guilt me, haha.

lol I can't land a single Rocket Raccoon combo in a real match. I should not blow all of my time in training mode trying to do boulder loops :\
My stages of mastering a combo:
1) Do it in training mode.
2) If I'm kicking someone's butt and am "feeling myself", try it in a match.
3) If I keep nailing it when I'm "feeling myself", start using it as my bnb.

There are a ton of combos I do 100% of the time in training mode that I never use in matches.

I got blown up by a shuma player online. I've played against shuma a total of twice up until now, and I had no idea what was and was not a cross up. Also, deadpool backed up by mystic ray is scary :(
Mystic Smash can be air thrown because its hitbox it so small.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
It can't be that hard. My rule of execution is that if I can do it in under 5 tries in training mode, it'll be easy to do online on a good connection once I master it. I did Nova's H loops my first try, so...

Well put that "Network Connection" thing in the training mode to the test and try that combo with it.

Zissou

You are either feeling yourself and marvel is the best game on earth, or you're a salty motherfucker. It is a game of extremes :D

Dahbomb

Or in League of Legends, for that matter.
3147829_o.gif

Solune

That must be it. I love doing Wesker combos, too. I love Morrigan combos in the 5% of the time I complete anything beyond an ABC.
You get me with more than ABC most of the time =p.
Sometimes I feel like you're trying to guilt me, haha.
Eh nothing to feel bad over. TBH I'm not surprised more people feel the way I do, they must do alot better against your Dorm than me =p. I feel like some days I want to go back to Spencer though, I just can't nail any of his BnBs outside of the corner, and I think that's where my dilemna comes in.

Or in League of Legends, for that matter.
That would explain why there are so many bad players, Seeing a level 30 with < 100 wins is either smurfing or a total noob.
ah getting hit by chain L's is so awesome. so much skill involved.

That's one of the things I liked in MvC2, you can't do that shit without timing it!

smurfx

get some go again
Double Lariat user complaining about skill levels? Hahahahaha.
hmm lariat does have drawbacks. anybody that mashes double lariat carelessly gets destroyed by me so whatever. what drawbacks is there for a magneto just standing there mashing his standing L?

You're not a true marvel player until you complain about 90% of the characters you don't play, and defend the hell out of your character.

#Zero is not that cheap

Onemic

I guess it's back to picking a team *sigh*

All the characters I want to play as are supposedly really high execution.(Mag, Doom, Strider, Dante, Spiderman) I hate choosing characters.

Would a team of Akuma, Wesker, and Vergil work?

smurfx

get some go again
hmm wonder what made karsticles have such a reaction towards haggar. mad that dormammu can't spam air S against haggar?

Dahbomb

hmm lariat does have drawbacks. anybody that mashes double lariat carelessly gets destroyed by me so whatever. what drawbacks is there for a magneto just standing there mashing his standing L?
You hit him with a low, duck it, block it or spam projectiles? Spamming stA with Magneto is only good as an anti air so unless you are pressing buttons there is no reason for you to get hit by it.

Magnetis j.H is forever busted. Fucking hitbox on his ass with that move.

smurfx

get some go again
You hit him with a low, duck it, block it or spam projectiles? Spamming stA with Magneto is only good as an anti air so unless you are pressing buttons there is no reason for you to get hit by it.

Magnetis j.H is forever busted. Fucking hitbox on his ass with that move.
at least it looks kinda funny when he hits you with his butt and pops you in front of him.

Zissou

All the characters I want to play as are supposedly really high execution.(Mag, Doom, Strider, Dante, Spiderman) I hate choosing characters.

Doom isn't really a high execution character outside of his TAC swag combos, and you can do basic versions of those with some practice.

hmm wonder what made karsticles have such a reaction towards haggar. mad that dormammu can't spam air S against haggar?

Haggar brings the salt for me because it feels like the match is like that picture of the gen player against the fei long player. I'm thinking carefully about spacing, when to call/not call assists, etc, while the haggar dude just has to think 'PIPE!!'

edit: that and everything haggar does is so goddam safe

Maybe not in that order, but they could probably work well.

Strider isn't really THAT execution-heavy, but he requires more work because he has baby health. Same thing with Doom, to an extent.
Keep in mind when I say "execution-heavy," I'm not talking about those stupid "swag combos" that people love to flaunt.

Solune

Maybe not in that order, but they could probably work well.

Strider isn't really THAT execution-heavy, but he requires more work because he has baby health. Same thing with Doom, to an extent.
Keep in mind when I say "execution-heavy," I'm not talking about those stupid "swag combos" that people love to flaunt.

Disagree, it takes ALOT of work to nail a Strider BnB that does more than 500k. Alot of it is also spacing dependent. I doubt half of the people who post in this thread can do that BnB more than 50% of the time.

Onemic

Disagree, it takes ALOT of work to nail a Strider BnB that does more than 500k. Alot of it is also spacing dependent. I doubt half of the people who post in this thread can do that BnB more than 50% of the time.

Im guessing Morrigan is high execution as well?

Azure J

Practical combos are the ones I fall back on most, but you're lying if you don't get a little enjoyment at seeing characters go nuts or seeing something done that makes you wonder how that works.

RIP Dante/Felicia/Ammy. And yah I hate editing footage because I'm a noob and don't know how to convert it :lol.

Those characters never truly get replaced though. Especially when I go back to Amaterasu and realize "oh hey, I can do X thing I couldn't before now" and start feeling myself. (The current new old love is Dante/Felicia/Strider. Goddamn that team is busted. :lol)

I want to get like a few more clips into this video I'm making but it's pretty much that time when I'm working on something creative and I just want to put it out there to gauge reactions.

You get me with more than ABC most of the time =p.
Not with Morrigan, though. The most I do consistently is s.LMH, f.H, j.MMH, qcf.L, qcb.S, ADDF, j.S, c.MHS, sj.MMH, dp.M, qcf.AA. I can't even do her double Soul Fist combo in training mode more than 5% of the time. :-( I've gotten much more consistent at almost succeeding, though...

Eh nothing to feel bad over. TBH I'm not surprised more people feel the way I do, they must do alot better against your Dorm than me =p. I feel like some days I want to go back to Spencer though, I just can't nail any of his BnBs outside of the corner, and I think that's where my dilemna comes in.
I think your win record is actually the highest against me aside from A Pretty Panda. I can't do any of my characters' combos consistently, and I still play them! :-D You're a combo wizard though, so I can see why it would bother you more than it bothers me. Whenever a new Dormammu bnb is discovered, I actually think "oh crap, now I have to learn that". I waited until the very end of Vanilla to learn Dormammu's TAC combo even.

Why are you coming back to this game begrudgingly?

Riiiiight. Sort of like how Chaotic Flame has drawbacks. In fact it shares the same drawback: you can't be a complete idiot when you use it. And Double Lariat's placement takes so much thought and care.

I don't even play a rushdown-style Dormammu. Haggar would be on my main team if Haggar and Morrigan had even a hint of synergy together. Akuma is likely to be my ghetto "get off me" assist because he works reasonably well with Morrigan.

It's always apparent when someone knows they're full of shit, because that person starts creating reasons from thin air as to why someone might have an opinion contrary to his or her own.

High execution, but you can do reasonably well with her at medium execution levels like mine. You just have to know your limit.

Beats

I kind of want to make a point Akuma team. What would be good assists for him? The only characters I dislike using are characters with charge moves and Dr.Doom lol, so I'm pretty much open to anyone else.

The timing on her soul fist combos is pretty strict. Took me a while to get a decent one down.

I kind of want to make a point Akuma team. What would be good assists for him? The only characters I dislike using are characters with charge moves and Dr.Doom lol, so I'm pretty much open to anyone else.
Solune backs him with Rising Fang, and it's hard as hell to deal with.

Onemic

Why are you coming back to this game begrudgingly?

I just hate trying to figure out who I want to main, as I tend to flip flop multiple times before finally settling down.

Also the game frustrates me like no other fighting game. I honestly find it harder to do combos in this than in Guilty Gear.

Guess Ill stick with Morrigan. Looks like Im gonna go Morrigan/Vergil/Akuma.

I just hate trying to figure out who I want to main, as I tend to flip flop multiple times before finally settling down.

Also the game frustrates me like no other fighting game. I honestly find it harder to do combos in this than in Guilty Gear.

Don't think of it as a puzzle you need to solve. Think of it as a journey that you enjoy being on.

Top 5 Morrigan assists IMO (not in any order):
1) Hidden Missiles
2) Cold Star
3) Vajra
4) Mystic Ray
5) Eye of Agamotto

Tatsu is probably top 10.

Seconding this, there's a San Antonio player who regularly rocks Iron Fist/Ryu/Akuma. Occasionally he rocks Akuma on point and he has Akuma (Tatsu)/Iron Fist (Rising Fang or Crescent Heel)/Ryu (Hadoken)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyAHgd4io6E At the end here, shows his team doing combos.
I expect to eat that Iron Fist combo the next time we play, Solune.

Beats

Solune backs him with Rising Fang, and it's hard as hell to deal with.

Seconding this, there's a San Antonio player who regularly rocks Iron Fist/Ryu/Akuma. Occasionally he rocks Akuma on point and he has Akuma (Tatsu)/Iron Fist (Rising Fang or Crescent Heel)/Ryu (Hadoken)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyAHgd4io6E At the end here, shows his team doing combos.

cool stuff. I think I'll go with Akuma/Iron Fist/xx and play around to work out a third. Probably sentinel or strider..

Frantic

Not with Morrigan, though. The most I do consistently is s.LMH, f.H, j.MMH, qcf.L, qcb.S, ADDF, j.S, c.MHS, sj.MMH, dp.M, qcf.AA. I can't even do her double Soul Fist combo in training mode more than 5% of the time. :-( I've gotten much more consistent at almost succeeding, though...
Are you using the light version when you're going for the double Soul Fist combo? It's easier with the Heavy version since it juggles them higher.

Solune

Pretty much any character whos assist "goes" with everyone. Drones/Disruptor/Jam Session. You want to have an assist where Akuma can utilize his teleport shenanigans.

Everyone has team issues, hell I'm having a team dilemma as we speak. But comboing comes as reflex when you've settled on characters.

1st step is to learn them in training mode, simple ABC combos then taking steps from there. 2nd step is performing them in a real match until you're comfortable with it.

As for your team , it's pretty good. I would run Akuma on point and anchor Vergil if you feel that it's not working out. But the team setup is fine, as I don't really want to encourage someone to play a way they aren't comfortable with.
I expect to eat that Iron Fist combo the next time we play, Solune.

I sort of do the same combo except I perform the twin kicks > Rising Fang early because it's more reliable / works everywhere!

Are you using the light version when you're going for the double Soul Fist combo? It's easier with the Heavy version since it juggles them higher.
I use the H version for the double Soul Fist combo. My own combo I use works better with the L version, though.

I usually drop the 2x Soul Fist combo at the input for the second Soul Fist. I do:
j.MMH, qcf.H, qcb.S, ADD, j.MH, qcb.S

My brain just fails to do another Soul Fist. -_-

I sort of do the same combo except I perform the twin kicks > Rising Fang early because it's more reliable / works everywhere!
I don't recall you ever using the tatsu to extend.

shaowebb

Cool stuff. I can definitely say that Ryu and Iron Fist have some good synergy together with Iron Fist on crescent heel. Ryu needs a good OTG to extend his combos and really maximize his damage and between his aimable beam and Iron Fist's Spirit of the Dragon flame pillar the two have great DHC's. I stopped using Ryu with him because folks kept abusing my anchor, but it may have gone better had I not put Iron Fist on point and made it such an obvious thing to do. I just wanted Iron Fist on point was all back then and I loved ending his flame pillar with DHC up beams.

Guy has some cool extensions with Tatsu there btw. I'm hoping I can get Arthur daggers to do something like that if I can figure out when to use them in combos.

EDIT: Oh hey thats Weeberman! I've watched his stuff online before. Fun player and man he is not afraid to blow meter just to get some breathing room. I've watched him do some fun FT10 sets on youtube before. Guy's a 2nd lord.

Top Bottom