• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Dahbomb

But doesn't the recent upswing in people playing more zoning-based teams mean health counts for a bit more, metagame-wise? Soul fist chip feels much more immediately threatening at 750k health than it does if you have 950k.
It should only the high health characters have bad mobility, bad zoning options and bad get in options to make their health count. The character that can best make use of his health in this zoning environment is Thor as he can play a projectile war, handle the chip, get through stuff with Mighty Strike and land a possible command throw. Its why Thor + Bolts have to enter the meta game to make the game evolve further.

Nert

the health of your team is one of the things you should care the least about in this game

Once you're playing at the level where all of your opponents can, say, touch of death you with lightning loops, then yeah, I would agree with you. However, I have to say that, as a Tron player, her high health is invaluable. More often than not, her health allows me to take more risks and to have more chances to break through a zoning wall. Even if I get nothing done with her before she is taken out, it directly translates into more meter for my other two characters. I sometimes play with Firebrand on point instead of Tron, and when I do that, the health discrepancy becomes very apparent.

But doesn't the recent upswing in people playing more zoning-based teams mean health counts for a bit more, metagame-wise? Soul fist chip feels much more immediately threatening at 750k health than it does if you have 950k.

Also this.

Spencer is a damn enigma in this cast.

He's so fucking fun to play as though. I smile every time I do 80k. It's like a personal pat on the back. And it's so undroppable that makes it even better. At least I don't drop 80k like I drop lighting loops or spiral sword loops.

Don't even get me started on Bionic Arm every time I hit one of those it's like I get +10 satisfaction points.

Solune

Video's done! :D

Horribly late edit: Frantic, as my go to Dante bro, I'd definitely like to hear what you think. :lol

That video is pretty purty, the first rawtag combo seems unoptimized though? You hadn't used your ground bounce yet, but the damage gained is probably negligible though. The meter gain might be worth it?
Edit: Nvm, it's because of the combo path you took that you had to use the wall bounce first, which obviously does better damage anyways...

Onemic

He's so fucking fun to play as though. I smile every time I do 80k. It's like a personal pat on the back. And it's so undroppable that makes it even better. At least I don't drop 80k like I drop lighting loops or spiral sword loops.

Don't even get me started on Bionic Arm every time I hit one of those it's like I get +10 satisfaction points.

I remember I tried to play Spencer really early on and dropped him in frustration because I could never get the timing down on his combos, since they were so height dependent.

Azure J

That video is pretty purty, the first rawtag combo seems unoptimized though? You hadn't used your ground bounce yet, but the damage gained is probably negligible though. The meter gain might be worth it?
Edit: Nvm, it's because of the combo path you took that you had to use the wall bounce first, which obviously does better damage anyways...

I'm pretty mad at the raw tag setup part of the video in all honesty. The combo was originally supposed to be done midscreen so I could show off how busted the Dante/Strider dash up stuff could be meter gain wise, but there are two rapid fire links in there (the j.H coming down after the Volcano air series and the dash right after that) just because of HSD coming out to play in the worst ways.

I was actually able to hit that combo once in an entire afternoon and evening's worth of training mode.

Onemic

Vergil could work instead of Strider or Doom.

You're a Vergil Player right?

For this combo and the loop variant:

L(hold L)M,cr.H, fwd.Hxxteleport M, MHSH, release round trip, SHxxJudgement Cut L(hold L)
cr.HxxLunar Phase, dwnfwd.H (Dimension Slash )

Is a cr.H required after Judgement cut for both the loop and non loop version? It keeps whiffing for me and I don't know how to make it hit. I looked at the video for the loop version and he just goes straight into spiral swords without doing cr.H

Phew, so Phoenix can definitely break 500k meterless BnB with one assist, I'm almost there:

jH, H2H6HS, jMMH2H, H6H xx Trap L, 2HS, jMMHS, A2(Ankle Slicer)+ Trap L, Trap L, 6H xx Drill M

I'm sure I can get more out of Drill H which would push it to around 508k and better positioning, but the timing is really weird.

You're a Vergil Player right?

For this combo and the loop variant:

L(hold L)M,cr.H, fwd.Hxxteleport M, MHSH, release round trip, SHxxJudgement Cut L(hold L)
cr.HxxLunar Phase, dwnfwd.H (Dimension Slash )

Is a cr.H required after (hold ) for both the loop and non loop version? It keeps whiffing for me and I don't know how to make it hit. I looked at the video for the loop version and he just goes straight into spiral swords without doing cr.H

That combo is ugly as fuck >.<

Why don't you just go lunar phase, cr. H xx qcf L, cr. H into another spiral swords.

edit: Wait just re read what you said. Yea you just need to time the cr. H better. Just do it right after the round trip shit. I got the timing down pretty quick when I tried learning this stupid demon.

Dahbomb

You can do Lunar Phase after the Round Trip instead of crH and then go into Hightime xx Dimension slash. Wouldn't build as much meter or do as much damage but its much easier.

The cr.H is sort of a link so you just have to practice the timing.

How many Up Wire Grapples are possible in 1 combo?

So far I can do 5, if I was using Hidden Missiles assist that should be 6.

The best I ever did was 7 (used x-factor for another one). Simple ass combo too. I'm sure an actual Spencer player can do 8-9.

It was basically command throw L, M,H, 80K then tiger knee bomber into M,H, 80k, call wesker into another 80k, call doom into two more 80k, then x-factor for another 80k. Then zip zip into another 80k.

Onemic

You can do Lunar Phase after the Round Trip instead of crH and then go into Hightime xx Dimension slash. Wouldn't build as much meter or do as much damage but its much easier.

If it whiffs does that mean Im doing it too early or too late?

Sayah

Either I'm not remembering my combos or She-Hulk and Magneto's old combos don't work anymore. :/

And here I thought I could be ready for battle in an hour so after re-memorizing some stuff.

Edit: I forgot how to grab in this game. How do I grab?

Onemic

Either I'm not remembering my combos or She-Hulk and Magneto's old combos don't work anymore. :/

And here I thought I could be ready for battle in an hour so after re-memorizing some stuff.

fwd H

Zissou

You mean combos from vanilla?

Onemic

My main problem with this combo is that cr.H link is height dependent so the timing changes all the time. Sometimes the dummy will be too low so no matter how early I hit cr.H it whiffs. Is there a specific way to do the combo so the timing stays consistent?

Zissou

I dropped She-hulk after she got badly nerfed in ultimate, so I'm working from memory. She-hulk lost her TAC glitch relaunch sort of- you can do the down H butt drop really high and TAC it right when you hit the ground to do it but it requires some timing. Doing torpedo xx runner's start cancel into S relaunch is no longer possible because torpedo pushes your opponent too far away, but a somewhat similar combo is possible- I'll see if I can find the link. Then there's QueenofloveHD's booty drop combo video that you can work off as well.

Probably her easiest relaunch combo is do whatever, launch, (in the air) MMHS, torpedo, cancel with down down S, fwd, M (to do clothesline), fwd dash, launch, and then another MMHS air series. Unfortunately you can't get her full hyper afterwards because you'll have already used your wallbounce.

Dahbomb

My main problem with this combo is that cr.H link is height dependent so the timing changes all the time. Sometimes the dummy will be too low so no matter how early I hit cr.H it whiffs. Is there a specific way to do the combo so the timing stays consistent?
Not really you just gotta be experienced with it. Timing changes with character sizes/weights too. It's just something you have to look out for.

Sayah

I dropped She-hulk after she got badly nerfed in ultimate, so I'm working from memory. She-hulk lost her TAC glitch relaunch sort of- you can do the down H butt drop really high and TAC it right when you hit the ground to do it but it requires some timing. Doing torpedo xx runner's start cancel into S relaunch is no longer possible because torpedo pushes your opponent too far away, but a somewhat similar combo is possible- I'll see if I can find the link. Then there's QueenofloveHD's booty drop combo video that you can work off as well.

Probably her easiest relaunch combo is do whatever, launch, (in the air) MMHS, torpedo, cancel with down down S, fwd, M (to do clothesline), fwd dash, launch, and then another MMHS air series. Unfortunately you can't get her full hyper afterwards because you'll have already used your wallbounce.

Whhhhhhhat? Well, seems like I'll be dropping her too. lol

Thanks for the info.

shaowebb

Spencer is a damn enigma in this cast.

Yeah Spencer is fun to play for me now.

Even though mine still sucks.

I remember I tried to play Spencer really early on and dropped him in frustration because I could never get the timing down on his combos, since they were so height dependent.

He's a god damned demon. I still think he's better than Vergil.

How many Up Wire Grapples are possible in 1 combo?

So far I can do 5, if I was using Hidden Missiles assist that should be 6.

I bet you could get a dozen or more if you really really wanted to.

I was one of the only dudes all over his announcement and thought he was fun in Vanilla before it was cool.

*hipster shades*

God I still remember how infuriating it was to try and connect zipline combos into armor piercer and his hyper online in Vanilla...

If you use Spencer/Dante/Doom you can get a crap ton of up grapples.

something like 2LMH xx zip, LMHS sjc Up grapple, Bionic Bomber, THC, Up Grapple, Up Grapple, Up Grapple, Doom Missiles, S sjc Up grapple, Up grapple, OTG Grapple, zip zip Up Grapple x-factor, THC, Up Grapple, Up Grapple, Up Grapple probably works.
You might even be able to do some weird stuff by raw tagging to Dante.

I was one of the only dudes all over his announcement and thought he was fun in Vanilla before it was cool.

*hipster shades*

Don't try to steal Threi's glory.

Zissou

Whhhhhhhat? Well, seems like I'll be dropping her too. lol

Thanks for the info.

At least you've still got mags. His combos are different but he's still a beast. It's unfortunate what they did to She-hulk though- she wasn't even top tier or anythinf in the first game. I guess the devs saw her doing well in the really early tournies and thought she was too good. The nerfs were especially painful since she had an air dash in an early build of ultimate, and early signs pointed to her being better than before :(

Azure J

Don't try to steal Threi's glory.

One of my personal favorite moments in MahvelGAF and FGC-GAF in general was someone saying "Spencer isn't hype" literally moments before Final Round 14. Then Marn vs. Combofiend happened. Everyone who knew what was up said "Threi vindicated". :lol

Dahbomb

Threi is known for claiming that Spencer is superior on point than anchor before anyone really knew anything about the character.

Sayah

Nice to know I'm just combo practice at this point. Damn, can't discern highs and lows with new characters. Blocking really sucks.

Spencer still bores me. Only thing he is good for is making Nova's combos hype and to set up hard tag shenanigans with Strange.

You know. REAL hype and swag combos.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
GGs Sayah!

For some one who just got the game you got most of that Trish combo down so that's cool. Never saw that variation with the Hyper Grav assist either.

Sayah

GGs Sayah!

For some one who just got the game you got most of that Trish combo down so that's cool. Never saw that variation with the Hyper Grav assist either.

Thanks. Haven't played Marvel for well over a year and that's just stuff I remember doing from vanilla, lol.

Also, Really excellent Nova. The new Spencer seems to be more powerful too. GGs even with my 20 losses and 0 wins, lol.

shaowebb

I didn't know jack about what was good or not I just knew I liked him before he released and that Spencer was damn fun to use. One of my first teams was a Haggar, Spencer, Sentinel team and it was all kinds of suck for me. Then Murphigator came along and proved how ass I was at fighters with his insane combo video using that exact team lol.

Liked him and still do. Played him off and on and still do. Even made a really long breakdown before all this stuff of how close yet how far Bionic Commando was when it came out. Incredible at times but death by papaercuts and all that. Neeeeeeeeever got good with him.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Threi is known for claiming that Spencer is superior on point than anchor before anyone really knew anything about the character.
Yeah well, at least luck is on my side. Stuck by Viper being the best this long and haven't changed my mind since.
Chun-Li and other characters though, not so much :x

Top Bottom