• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

...and this has what to do with Zero?

The same thing I posted. You can't possibly be that slow right? He usually catch people off guard with it. Saves it for their best character too. Then the rest of the fight not having x-factor doesn't change shit since his team is TOD anywhere on screen.

The same thing I posted. You can't possibly be that slow right? He usually catch people off guard with it. Saves it for their best character too. Then the rest of the fight not having x-factor doesn't change shit since his team is TOD anywhere on screen.
If you're trying to make an argument for how to place Zero on a team via a team without Zero on it, I don't think you have to worry about me being the slow one here.

How does a Trish/Nemesis/Ghost Rider team sound?

3 badasses at once.
Extremely awful team. Ghost Rider is possibly the worst anchor in the game.

Zissou

Zero's assists are bad, but it doesn't seem like he'd be a terrible support character if run second. He has an invincible alpha counter that he can combo off of, has an install hyper for safe dhcs, has a persistent/summon hyper, I imagine he could function like Vergil where a correctly set up DHC into lightning loops could mean point characters with low damage could ToD, and he can function with relatively minimal loss of efficacy in the neutral with only a single assist as demonstrated by zero may cry players.

Sayah

If you're trying to make an argument for how to place Zero on a team via a team without Zero on it, I don't think you have to worry about me being the slow one here.

Extremely awful team. Ghost Rider is possibly the worst anchor in the game.

Can you list the good anchors so I can choose one. Ghost Rider most certainly has to be in the team, though. His assist is unlocking new magic for Trish. Unless I can find another character that can do the same. Forget Magneto.

Zissou

Can you list the good anchors so I can choose one. Ghost Rider most certainly has to be in the team, though. His assist is unlocking new magic for Trish. Unless I can find another character that can do the same. Forget Magneto.

Strider and Vergil are excellent anchors. Strider assist helps damn near everyone. Aside from them, there are quite a few
good anchors a step below them.

Zero's assists are bad, but it doesn't seem like he'd be a terrible support character if run second. He has an invincible alpha counter that he can combo off of, has an install hyper for safe dhcs, has a persistent/summon hyper, I imagine he could function like Vergil where a correctly set up DHC into lightning loops could mean point characters with low damage could ToD, and he can function with relatively minimal loss of efficacy in the neutral with only a single assist as demonstrated by zero may cry players.
None of that remotely compares to the grandeur of Zero backed by two assists, though. As I type, Flux just beat RayRay and was a hair away from a perfect. No small bit of utility can compare to that capacity. You're talking about "things are going well" scenarios, which are the wrong way to plan a team. You plan a team around what you're going to do when things go wrong, and you don't want Zero having to survive incoming mix-ups.

I won't list all the good anchors, but I will help you. Can you tell me what magic Ghost Rider is unlocking for Trish? Ghost Rider absolutely requires a strong projectile assist to function. Dagger Toss, Unibeam, and Plasma Beam are generally your best options.

Sayah

I won't list all the good anchors, but I will help you. Can you tell me what magic Ghost Rider is unlocking for Trish? Ghost Rider absolutely requires a strong projectile assist to function. Dagger Toss, Unibeam, and Plasma Beam are generally your best options.

Ghost Rider is replacing Magneto's gravitation assist that I used previously for Trish.

This is how the combo goes:
With Trish, d+l, d+m, d+h, s, m, d+h, call ghost rider's "a" (first) assist while doing standing l,m,h with trish. Then use Round Trip/Harvest? Walk up to opponent and hit S to take into air again. Then, I can do crossover or follow up with hyper, etc.

Nemesis' "b" assist also works well for Trish.

Is ghost rider considered low tier?
Edit: Hmmm.....Dormammu's Dark Hole assist works too.

Strider and Vergil are excellent anchors. Strider assist helps damn near everyone. Aside from them, there are quite a few
good anchors a step below them.

One of Vergil's assist actually works too but I don't want another Dante-type character. Will have to try out Strider.

Edit: Hmmm.....Dormammu's Dark Hole assist works too.

Zissou

None of that remotely compares to the grandeur of Zero backed by two assists, though. As I type, Flux just beat RayRay and was a hair away from a perfect. No small bit of utility can compare to that capacity. You're talking about "things are going well" scenarios, which are the wrong way to plan a team. You plan a team around what you're going to do when things go wrong, and you don't want Zero having to survive incoming mix-ups.

Couldn’t you make the same criticisms of any character you run second? Pretty much everybody not named Sentinel has to worry about the incoming mix-up. People often run Vergil second and he has bad options against welcome mix-ups and his assist is mostly for combos so he’s not providing a neutral assist for your point character. It goes without saying that every character in the game is better backed by two assists instead of one assist. I’m NOT saying I think second is some secret magical slot for Zero, just that he could do pretty well there (though this is mostly theory fighter, since nobody really does this to give us hard data one way or the other).

@sayah- ghost rider is generally considered low tier, but like most things in this game, it's always up for debate. Nemesis is also considered to be pretty bad, fyi.

Sayah

Oh man, it's going to take some time before I get used to this game again. In SFXTK and SSFIV, I had changed my commands so basically triangle and X were interchanged. Now I'm playing this and everything's so disorienting. Gonna take some times before I get back to my previous level of play. And I have to get used to all the new shenanigans that the new characters have. Especially with all those combo resets with Nova.

@sayah- ghost rider is generally considered low tier, but like most things in this game, it's always up for debate. Nemesis is also considered to be pretty bad, fyi.

Weeeellll......the two characters I found that actually work for Trish, lol.......gonna have to try out all the other assists for the new characters tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll find another assist that can let me use round harvest mid-combo.

Difference is Vergil has swords if he survives which is stupid. As is his DT and giant normals. Zero has good beginning of the match, good mobility in the air, great projectiles, and he can set up guard breaks, penta incoming mix ups and his normal mix ups are some of the best.

Viper/Zero are rated so high due to there point capability. Once started, just eat everything.

Ghost Rider is replacing Magneto's gravitation assist that I used previously for Trish.

This is how the combo goes:
With Trish, d+l, d+m, d+h, s, m, d+h, call ghost rider's "a" (first) assist while doing standing l,m,h with trish. Then use Round Trip/Harvest? Walk up to opponent and hit S to take into air again. Then, I can do crossover or follow up with hyper, etc.

Nemesis' "b" assist also works well for Trish.
Ah, combo extension. I think you'll find that a lot of combos let Trish combo into Round Trip. I actually saw a video earlier this week that used at least 6 different assists to combo into Round Trip. Ghost Rider isn't offering you anything special.

Is ghost rider considered low tier?
He is, though I think he's solid.

One of Vergil's assist actually works too but I don't want another Dante-type character. Will have to try out Strider.
Haha, you might recognize the irony of this statement soon.

Couldn’t you make the same criticisms of any character you run second? Pretty much everybody not named Sentinel has to worry about the incoming mix-up. People often run Vergil second and he has bad options against welcome mix-ups and his assist is mostly for combos so he’s not providing a neutral assist for your point character. It goes without saying that every character in the game is better backed by two assists instead of one assist. I’m NOT saying I think second is some secret magical slot for Zero, just that he could do pretty well there (though this is mostly theory fighter, since nobody really does this to give us hard data one way or the other).
Characters with double jumps and 8-way air dashes are much less afraid of incoming mix-ups. I rarely lose Dormammu as he comes in. The ultimate "no" to incoming mix-ups is burning X-Factor for an air throw when your opponent gets to close. Zero can't get full combos off this situation, either.

The question is: who are you willing to subject to those incoming mix-ups? PR Balrog is smart about this, and he often uses Dimension Slash as soon as Vergil comes in so he doesn't have to deal with it (XFCed of course).

Zero is like Trish or Morrigan. Extremely solid and safe with a large variety of tools. The goal with the character is to lock your opponent down early and keep the advantage. You don't want to rely on any of these characters for comebacks.

You're also talking about Zero with only one assist now. Can you see how limited Zero would be if you only had one assist for him? To be the monster he is, he needs a projectile and an anti-air (Rapid Slash is mediocre for him, people need to stop using it if they want to dominate with Zero).

Zissou

@sayah- One thing you may not have noticed if you haven't been following the game for a while- almost nobody chooses assists purely for combo extension anymore except for a few specific team constructions. People still obviously use assists for combo extension, but it's much more of finding a way to use their neutral assists in combos rather than finding neutral uses for assists chosen specifically for combo extension. A lot of the strongest assists are good at both, like hidden missiles and vajra.

Onemic

Its so frustrating trying to find my last character for Morrigan and Akuma. Vergils loop combos piss me off, I can't deal with zeros stuff, and Im running out of ideas of characters to work with.

Its so frustrating trying to find my last character for Morrigan and Akuma. Vergils loop combos piss me off, I can't deal with zeros stuff, and Im running out of ideas of characters to work with.
Is it a requisite for you to use Morrigan first? You could try something wild like:
X-23 / Morrigan / Akuma.

Edit: I forget, but did we talk about Hidden Missiles? Because ChrisG's old team was Akuma/Doom/Morrigan, and it's really good.

Onemic

Is it a requisite for you to use Morrigan first? You could try something wild like:
X-23 / Morrigan / Akuma.

Edit: I forget, but did we talk about Hidden Missiles? Because ChrisG's old team was Akuma/Doom/Morrigan, and it's really good.

I would use doom, but I can't do triangle jumps or dwnfwd dashes for the life of me. mag was one of the original characters I wanted to use in this game and that was a huge wall I was never able to overcome.

And the order isn't definite I just want Morrigan and Akuma on my team regardless of the order.

Solune

How does a Trish/Nemesis/Ghost Rider team sound?

3 badasses at once.
I'd probably run that team, if I was going to, in reverse order with GR on point. None of these characters are "good" anchors but Trish would probably be the best.

Try Wolverine, Akuma is one of his BFFs anyways. He's also a straight forward character though he doesn't really synergize well with Morrigan, she can be used to make Wolverine safer than normal and can be a good second.

Sayah

Ah, combo extension. I think you'll find that a lot of combos let Trish combo into Round Trip. I actually saw a video earlier this week that used at least 6 different assists to combo into Round Trip. Ghost Rider isn't offering you anything special.

If you got the link for that video, that would be nice. :)

@sayah- One thing you may not have noticed if you haven't been following the game for a while- almost nobody chooses assists purely for combo extension anymore except for a few specific team constructions. People still obviously use assists for combo extension, but it's much more of finding a way to use their neutral assists in combos rather than finding neutral uses for assists chosen specifically for combo extension. A lot of the strongest assists are good at both, like hidden missiles and vajra.

Thanks for all this info man. Really will be useful when I'm constructing a team. At this point, I don't know who I'll be using except for Trish.

I'd probably run that team, if I was going to, in reverse order with GR on point. None of these characters are "good" anchors but Trish would probably be the best.

Will try it in reverse in online matches tomorrow. :)
At least until I find a truly solid team. Really hate how She-Hulk got changed. Otherwise, she would be another confirmed character on the team.

Zissou

Characters with double jumps and 8-way air dashes are much less afraid of incoming mix-ups. I rarely lose Dormammu as he comes in. The ultimate "no" to incoming mix-ups is burning X-Factor for an air throw when your opponent gets to close. Zero can't get full combos off this situation, either.

The question is: who are you willing to subject to those incoming mix-ups? PR Balrog is smart about this, and he often uses Dimension Slash as soon as Vergil comes in so he doesn't have to deal with it (XFCed of course).

Zero is like Trish or Morrigan. Extremely solid and safe with a large variety of tools. The goal with the character is to lock your opponent down early and keep the advantage. You don't want to rely on any of these characters for comebacks.

You're also talking about Zero with only one assist now. Can you see how limited Zero would be if you only had one assist for him? To be the monster he is, he needs a projectile and an anti-air (Rapid Slash is mediocre for him, people need to stop using it if they want to dominate with Zero).

Are zero’s aerial mobility options that bad/unsafe on incoming? Honest question- I don’t personally play the character. I thought based on your comment about Flux that you were a zero may cry advocate, so I thought it was strange that you were against playing zero with a single neutral assist (jam session), so thanks for explaining your position.

I don’t know if you can compare a Trish or Morrigan to Zero in this situation- Trish and Morrigan seem more about chipping away and maintaining/extending a lead (and can’t ToD), while Zero can completely turn the match around- one touch into a dead character and your opponent being a couple of coin flips away from losing the game happens in an instant. Marn originally played Zero second in vanilla (for DHC glitch, not necessarily because he thought Zero was good in that slot), and I don’t remember him being annihilated on incoming constantly, but it could’ve just been the relatively primitive state of the game at that point.

shaowebb

Akuma likes Wolverine a lot.
Morrigan BFF's Doom.
I personally like Arthur for anchor for life.

Curious, but has anyone tried a team with both Morrigan and Firebrand in it together other than Chris G? I know her meter gain assist helps out Firebrand a lot with getting him meter to finish his combos and Firebrand's vomit with tatsu can be pretty useful together. Anyone ever try this?

Thing is does Zero want to come in to either an incoming mix up or a lockdown? Typically no. He uses his buster to reset his aerial movement where Dorm has normals that can buy him time and airdashes/flight mode to help him as well.

If a Zero comes in against a Hawkeye/Morrigan with HM lockdown and just going projectile, Zero most likely be chipped out where Dorm can force Hawkeye to waste a meter or buy time to charge dark spells to eat soul fist.

Same with mix ups.

Vice

Try Strider Anchor. I think Akuma/Morri/Strider or Morri/Akuma/Strider could work well. I think Akuma can get full combos off a vajra knockdown and it helps with your Morrigan bullethell.

Onemic

Try Strider Anchor. I think Akuma/Morri/Strider or Morri/Akuma/Strider could work well. I think Akuma can get full combos off a vajra knockdown and it helps with your Morrigan bullethell.

Isnt Strider really high execution? Can Taskmaster be put into that team at all? I remember from the last time I tried playing the game he was one of the few characters I could sorta get to grips with.

Onemic

He's up there, but he's not a viper or a zero. I feel with practice his stuff is doable. This goes doubly if you're playing xf3 strider- anybody can do that.

Can Taskmaster be put into that team at all? I remember from the last time I tried playing the game he was one of the few characters I could sorta get to grips with.

onionfrog

Happy 1 year anniversary of UMVC3 guys. Here's to another 10 years!

I'm gonna get my guide back from my friend when I come home this weekend. ( he's had it pretty much since I got it with the game last year)

LakeEarth

I would use doom, but I can't do triangle jumps or dwnfwd dashes for the life of me. mag was one of the original characters I wanted to use in this game and that was a huge wall I was never able to overcome.
You probably already do this, so forgive me if I'm wrong, but you are air dashing with direction + two buttons right? I never played MvC2 seriously, so when I first started playing MvC3, I kept double tapping the stick to get df dashes instead of just df + BC, which is inconsistent to say the least.

It is one of those things that are so commonly known that no one mentions it, and because of that, I was completely oblivious to it.

Isnt Strider really high execution?
There is a steeper learning curve with him. It isn't so much execution as it is knowing what to do and when to do it. Mistakes are less forgiving due to his health.

Onemic

You probably already do this, so forgive me if I'm wrong, but you are air dashing with direction + two buttons right? I never played MvC2 seriously, so when I first started playing MvC3, I kept double tapping the stick to get df dashes instead of just df + BC, which is inconsistent to say the least.

It is one of those things that are so commonly known that no one mentions it, and because of that, I was completely oblivious to it.

wat. Never knew this. This changes everything.

Wow, that makes things infinitely easier. Like its not even comparable how much easier Doom and Mag are now. Triangle jumps and dwnfwd dashes are simple as shit.

Sigmaah

Spencer and Vergil are better than Zero. Especially with the right assists. Without a doubt. Bionic OP Arm and Spiral OP Swords.

Also, why the fuck does Ouro suck so much? For a level 3 it's pretty shitty. It needs to last longer and needs to chip IMO especially for 3 meters...

Zissou

Spencer and Vergil are better than Zero. Especially with the right assists. Without a doubt. Bionic OP Arm and Spiral OP Swords.

Also, why the fuck does Ouro suck so much? For a level 3 it's pretty shitty. It needs to last longer and needs to chip IMO especially for 3 meters...

Spencer is definitely not better than zero. Vergil probably isn't either. Zero doesn't need meter to be scary like Vergil does.

It sucks that Ouro loses to a one meter install hyper, but it's still good- that's not even up for debate. In xf3 it's downright terrifying. How much better do you want it to be?

Vice

Isnt Strider really high execution? Can Taskmaster be put into that team at all? I remember from the last time I tried playing the game he was one of the few characters I could sorta get to grips with.

No clue, you could try Taskmaster, maybe it will work for you.

Strider isn't too bad. Getting his combos down just takes practice to break 500k.

Can Taskmaster be put into that team at all? I remember from the last time I tried playing the game he was one of the few characters I could sorta get to grips with.

i play taskmaster anchor. i dont think he's one of the best anchors, but he's like b+/a-. he's got an excellent throw/air throw range, xf3 damage boost and chip damage. i don't think there are too many matchups that are impossible for him to overcome. i know i have a hard time dealing with anchor hawkeye.

Dahbomb

NEGRO PLZ!!!!

Can you list the good anchors so I can choose one.
These are the top anchors of the game (not to be confused with overall top characters)

S tier (holy trinity of top tier anchors, you have to snap these characters in if they are sitting at anchor position)

Phoenix
Vergil
Strider

Solid anchors (either they have great assist or great XF3 comeback potential or both):

Magneto
Dante
Doom
Hawkeye
Akuma
Super Skrull
Wesker
Ammy
Rocket Raccoon
Strange
Sentinel
Nova
Taskmaster
Felicia
Arthur
Chun Li
Iron Man

The rest of the characters can be played at anchor but it's usually not their optimum slot (like She Hulk, Dormammu, Wolverine, Viper, Storm, Captain America). I have added the following list of characters who are certified garbage at anchor slot:

Ghost Rider
Iron Fist
Haggar
Hulk
Nemesis
Tron
Hsien Ko (unarmored)
Chris
Phoenix Wright

Agreed with Dahbomb's post except on two notes:
Bum has shown that Chris can be solid on anchor.
Phoenix Wright in Turnabout is an A tier anchor at least, so if you can get him there and then tag him out, it's not a bad idea.

Onemic

Well now that I can actually learn Mag, is it possible to fit him in with Morrigan and Akuma or is Doom just infinitely better?

Hopefully this should be my last team building question

mr. puppy

Banned
Dahbomb you better make Ammy S tier, or at least put Ammy/Dante at a tier above the 'solid' tier

oh god Yipes has been theorycrafting for like 30 minutes, this is amazing

Azure J

Amaterasu is like 4th on the anchor list IMO. She suffers from "Dante" syndrome where she's viewed "as not being that good the way we look at her" from most of the player base. That and she also requires work even if her stuff is just setups for Ground Bounce - Chop-Chop-Chop-Chop. I can understand if anyone puts her lower though.

Dahbomb

Dahbomb you better make Ammy S tier, or at least put Ammy/Dante at a tier above the 'solid' tier
Not cheap enough. Those other 3 when they get set up you can't even press buttons because they have hit boxes swirling around them. That's what differentiates them from the rest.

LakeEarth

Well now that I can actually learn Mag, is it possible to fit him in with Morrigan and Akuma or is Doom just infinitely better?

Hopefully this should be my last team building question

Well Magneto with Akuma assist is really good, and Morrigan could make good use with both assists. Morrigan and Akuma can both use Hidden Missiles really well, but if you'd rather play Mags, go for it. Better to have fun IMO.

As for team order, I'd say Morrigan/Magneto/Akuma and Magneto/Morrigan/Akuma are equally viable (though I'm sure someone who has put time into this team could explain why one is better than the other).

Not cheap enough. Those other 3 when they get set up you can't even press buttons because they have hit boxes swirling around them. That's what differentiates them from the rest.

That's a really good reson to rank them above everyone else. Who makes it impossible to press buttons > Who makes it risky to press buttons

I would personally play Magneto/Akuma/Morrigan and blast the hell out of everybody, but that's me. Also, Akuma is better with EMD than Magneto is with Tatsu. EMD xx Shockwave DHC Gou Hadou is too serious.

LakeEarth

Mags works better with a lockdown assist. But I guess it depends on what you want to do with each character.

All 3 are good anchors, and all of them benefit from the other's assists. So basically, figure it out yourself onemic!

Yeah, but Tatsu is a better expansion assist than it is lockdown. Magneto doesn't really need expansion or defensive assists, only stuff that controls movement like Drones or Missiles(even then, I'd rather play Magneto without assists). Akuma gets all kinds of cool stuff off of EMD, while Magneto only gets like, an extra tridash off of tatsu.

Top Bottom