• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

mr. puppy

Banned
ROFL are you serious?

You know the combo builds like 2 bar right? He can ground bounce into DarK Fire and/or DHC for a TOD. A Firebrand sitting on meter is now prone to get you killed on the next touch.

when is a firebrand ever going to be sitting on meter? at what point in time are you playing that character and go "damn, i want to set up my 750 level 3 ulti crappy combo so i better not go into luminous body"? people who play anchor firebrand or something? idiots who don't put him on point?

and "prone to get you killed on the next touch" is barely applicable. either you get your reset to work or pray you have vergil/dorm/etc. on your team for damage.

seriously, firebrand is the most overrated character in the history of fighting games.

i've been dicking around with viper/mags/dante for the last week and still trying to figure out why anybody on the planet would play firebrand.

Zissou

when is a firebrand ever going to be sitting on meter? at what point in time are you playing that character and go "damn, i want to set up my 750 level 3 ulti crappy combo so i better not go into luminous body"? people who play anchor firebrand or something? idiots who don't put him on point?

and "prone to get you killed on the next touch" is barely applicable. either you get your reset to work or pray you have vergil/dorm/etc. on your team for damage.

seriously, firebrand is the most overrated character in the history of fighting games.

i've been dicking around with viper/mags/dante for the last week and still trying to figure out why anybody on the planet would play firebrand.

I understand why you might think theory fighters who put him in top 3 might be overrating him a bit, but you really don't understand why people would play him? That he has a practical way to 300% most teams is reason enough to be terrified of him.

I understand why you might think theory fighters who put him in top 3 might be overrating him a bit, but you really don't understand why people would play him? That he has a practical way to 300% most teams is reason enough to be terrified of him.
It's extremely impractical. It takes more execution to 300% a team with Firebrand than it does to perform some of this game's infinites.

Zissou

It's extremely impractical. It takes more execution to 300% a team with Firebrand than it does to perform some of this game's infinites.

Really? I thought you (someone who admits to not having the best execution) was able to do it routinely on characters who couldn't escape your set-up with Dorm assist back when you were maining your Firebrand team. Am I misremembering?

Really? I thought you (someone who admits to not having the best execution) was able to do it routinely on characters who couldn't escape your set-up with Dorm assist back when you were maining your Firebrand team. Am I misremembering?
Dark Hole only works against very specific team setups. Tenderizer works on everyone, but is much, much more finicky in its timing. The issue is that Tenderizer's last hit causes very little hitstun, while Firebrand's unblockable causes a lot. If you're off just a bit, Tenderizer "saves" your opponent after the unblockable hits. Your opponent also can just not block Tenderizer, which means your Firebrand combo does very little damage, and you have to alter the timing since the blockstun on Tenderizer's last hit is different from its hitstun.

mr. puppy

Banned

in this game, firebrand is probably my best character, then dante, then task/magneto/vergil/ammy.

i've been playing the character since ultimate came out, and his complete lack of potential is not b/c people haven't been grinding on him. they have, and players far better than me have shown what he can do. there really isn't a lot there besides the unblockable and some tricky resets.

you can do all the way back to when we first declared our teams. mine was firebrand/dante/ghost or something like that. i've put the work in, the character is overrated as hell.

in this game, firebrand is probably my best character, then dante, then task/magneto/vergil/ammy.

i've been playing the character since ultimate came out, and his complete lack of potential is not b/c people haven't been grinding on him. they have, and players far better than me have shown what he can do. there really isn't a lot there besides the unblockable and some tricky resets.

you can do all the way back to when we first declared our teams. mine was firebrand/dante/ghost or something like that. i've put the work in, the character is overrated as hell.
I think his big problem is that he's very predictable. In some ways, he's like Morrigan minus the bullet hell. All of his specials aside from Bon Voyage and the unblockable are total crap, and he should be able to combo j.L, qcf.S outside of Luminous Body. He does Strider levels of damage without the amazing options Strider has.

Onemic

Yes. That team will make you even more of a manly man because those guys aren't easy to play imo. Really well balanced, powerful team -- even as you lose characters.

Sweet, team is now official. Even though Dante is hard, his combos are fun to practice so I don't mind that much.

I just wonder how long it's gonna take before I'm decent enough to win a single match online. :/

mr. puppy

Banned
Jill Combos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we7YU_jE1Io

The XF3 combos are pretty cool. But most of the other combos seem like a ton of work for mediocre damage and meter gain.

Cammy_street_fighter-1-.jpg

Zissou

Dark Hole only works against very specific team setups. Tenderizer works on everyone, but is much, much more finicky in its timing. The issue is that Tenderizer's last hit causes very little hitstun, while Firebrand's unblockable causes a lot. If you're off just a bit, Tenderizer "saves" your opponent after the unblockable hits. Your opponent also can just not block Tenderizer, which means your Firebrand combo does very little damage, and you have to alter the timing since the blockstun on Tenderizer's last hit is different from its hitstun.

Ahh, sorry- I didn't realize the tenderizer version had such finnicky timing requirements. And cold star is escapable like dark hole is?

What teams did you try firebrand on? I still think he has good things going for him outside of damn-near-impossible-to-blockables with a good lockdown assist and his (apparently very difficult) 300% set-up. Air bon voyage alone has caused me a ridiculous amount of frustration on the rare occasion I run into a solid firebrand player online. He has an install hyper during which he can still build meter, he can convert off of throws solo, and his low damage issue can be mitigated with the right team.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
As of last week, UMvC3 has officially been out for a year. Thoughts on the game's first year? Were we saved from what MvC3 would become or had become?

CELEBRATIONS ARE IN ORDER

mr. puppy

Banned
As of last week, UMvC3 has officially been out for a year. Thoughts on the game's first year? Were we saved from what MvC3 would become or had become?

i love the game. its the most ridiculous playground i've seen in a fighting game. and i never want it patched.

Tied for my most fun fighter with the fan-service on the scale Smash Bros. to boot.

Best one to watch too. Presentation out the ass. Perfect amount of cheese.

One more balance would be great but they'd probably just screw it up, so leave it as is. It's mostly pretty good outside of a handful of choices.

We were most definitely saved from Vanilla. Vanilla was dumb fun, but that game was like a week away from being just unplayably dumb, ie 10 times worse than HnK dumb. Good party game.

FSLink

Banned
So any tips on how to fight competent players who use Captain America + Doom missiles? I get caught by frame traps (Cap's c.L is so good when staggered.) or Charging Stars a lot into a full combo (thanks to missiles or Rapid Slash assist), or get caught in a shield slash reset on the way in.

Zero's lightning seems to miss half the time on Cap too.

Vice

So any tips on how to fight competent players who use Captain America + Doom missiles? I get caught by frame traps (Cap's c.L is so good when staggered.) or Charging Stars a lot into a full combo (thanks to missiles or Rapid Slash assist), or get caught in a shield slash reset on the way in.

Zero's lightning seems to miss half the time on Cap too.

Punish the assist or snap Doom in. Once Cap loses an assist that makes his riskier moves, like Charging Star, unsafe he's a lot more vulnerable. He also has no overheads or instant overheads to just block low and react to jump ins.

Solune

It does over 400k as a level 1 IIRC. Regardless, it's damn meter efficient, and can save you a DHC.

I don't think it does 400k considering a fully mashed Air Version of Photon Array does 150k, My guess is 300k if we were to double the number of hits, though I'm open to someone proving me wrong. 300k is also massive damage though, for comparison Gamma Crush does 240k and a DHCed Lightning Loop does roughly 375~400k damage.

---
Completely Off-topic @Karst

WiiU Upscaler is alright, not that impressive but better than nothing. I didn't see you post in the thread but here's more information if you're interested http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500423

Ahh, sorry- I didn't realize the tenderizer version had such finnicky timing requirements. And cold star is escapable like dark hole is?
Cold Star is superior to Black Hole because it lasts longer. Firebrand can do c.LMH, Cold Star, unblockable, and it will land without any holes in the string. If Firebrand does c.LMH, Dark Hole, unblockable, your opponent can move out of the way before Dark Hole lands.

True enough. Its really good damage for Jill. Its just a lot of effort compared to what other characters can do for less effort.But I digress...
Those XF3 combos were sexy though.
Other characters don't have Jill's crazy mix-ups and her fantastic level 1, though (which everyone misuses.

MUCH better than MvC3. So glad this came out, Capcom just needs to realize that they can milk this all they want and I'll buy every gallon they put on the shelf.

--
Completely Off-topic @Karst

WiiU Upscaler is alright, not that impressive but better than nothing. I didn't see you post in the thread but here's more information if you're interested http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500423
I noticed that, thank you!

And damn your avatar changes. How the hell am I supposed to know who you are?

Onemic

I dont think I've had as much fun practicing combos than with Dante. Screw the execution requirements this dude is too fun.

Besides combos and bold cancelling(I've yet to do any bold cancels into air trick, which I keep hearing about in terms of execution difficulty) what else makes Dante hard execution wise?

I dont think I've had as much fun practicing combos than with Dante. Screw the execution requirements this dude is too fun.

Besides combos and bold cancelling what else makes Dante hard execution wise?
That's really it. He was harder in Vanilla when you had to do double qcf motions for his moves.

Besides combos and bold cancelling(I've yet to do any bold cancels into air trick, which I keep hearing about in terms of execution difficulty) what else makes Dante hard execution wise?

His combos adjust more than all the other sword guys due to his pushback on hit being all over the place imo. His optimal stuff isn't the hardest part -- converting into it is imo. Thinking sucks. That's where the more extensive execution tests come into play. As karst said, straight execution was harder in Vanilla (and even then it was just rekkas) -- but Hammer and nutty normals/specials/lack of hitstun made things easier in some ways too.

Then again, I'm not a real Dante like Frantic, Darksim, Azure and the rest T_T

In other news, my Amazing Spider-Mang steelbook came today. Huzzah. This movie shoulda been a lot better but it's still aight. Love it for the future potential.

Solune

I noticed that, thank you!

And damn your avatar changes. How the hell am I supposed to know who you are?
In my defense, this avatar is from two Decembers ago! I'm trying to settle on a avatar later in the future, since my schtick is being the "scarfguy", I want to have the tag "Scarfface".
In other news, my Amazing Spider-Mang steelbook came today. Huzzah. This movie shoulda been a lot better but it's still aight. Love it for the future potential.
Future Emma Stone appearances too!
Cold Star is THC cancelable.

Amazing.

Zissou

For me, bold cancelling from Stinger is the hardest thing to do with Dante, probably because I plink it.

Bold-canceling during real matches has always been weird for me. I can do it at will in training mode, by as my hands shift around during the heat of an actual match, when it comes time to bold cancel something, they're not in the right place for muscle-memory to do it's thing and I get bopped. Feels bad man.

Spending time in training mode every few days to take my Dormammu to the next level in 2 ways:
1) Mastering UF/DF air dash series after flight to get in.
2) Mastering the use of s.M and s.S to negate projectiles (just spent 30 minutes practicing doing this vs. Hawkeye and Chris).

Really, I shouldn't need assists to beat these characters. I should just learn the timing of these negations, which no Dormammu player does but F. Champ.

Azure J

Spending time in training mode every few days to take my Dormammu to the next level in 2 ways:
2) Mastering the use of s.M and s.S to negate projectiles (just spent 30 minutes practicing doing this vs. Hawkeye and Chris).

Really, I shouldn't need assists to beat these characters. I should just learn the timing of these negations, which no Dormammu player does but F. Champ.

Interestingly enough, this reminds me of how I continue to try and learn Viper's projectile cancel every now and again. I just wish if I could tell whether or not it's a plink or tight windowed feint from her Thunder Knuckle H.

Zissou

As far as combos, that's a good one to start with. My combo is:
s.LMHS, sj.M, d+H, qcb.L, j.MH, s.H, cr.H, s.S, j.H, d.H, qcf.L, qcf.AA

I've been practicing the above Trish combo suggested by Frantic, (not too difficult, I'm happy to say), and I've noticed that if you're too far away from the opponent during the opening ground portion of the combo, I end up too far away for the second j.M to hit (the one after the qcb.L). Is there any way to adjust the combo for situations where you start out further from your opponent? I like to abuse the range of Trish's standing H, but a max range H into launcher ends up messing up the above BnB, so I usually derp it out and just do a really simple magic series combo. Am I missing something?

Horseress

I think the think that keeps me from playing Dormammu is the pillar + Chaotic Flames, there's a tip to do it right or just training it till it works?

LakeEarth

I think the think that keeps me from playing Dormammu is the pillar + Chaotic Flames, there's a tip to do it right or just training it till it works?

It isn't too hard, just practice. Do pillar, wait a second, do chaotic flame. If pillar didn't come out, you did it too quick. If chaotic flame whiffs you did it to late. Adjust till you got it. The window is pretty wide.

Frantic

I've been practicing the above Trish combo suggested by Frantic, (not too difficult, I'm happy to say), and I've noticed that if you're too far away from the opponent during the opening ground portion of the combo, I end up too far away for the second j.M to hit (the one after the qcb.L). Is there any way to adjust the combo for situations where you start out further from your opponent? I like to abuse the range of Trish's standing H, but a max range H into launcher ends up messing up the above BnB, so I usually derp it out and just do a really simple magic series combo. Am I missing something?
Two ways you can do it. First, you can delay the Hopscotch after the dive kick a little bit to make sure you're closer to your opponent, or you can airdash forward j.MH. If you can eyeball that you're out of range for the second j.M, it's easier to airdash for j.M than to delay the Hopscotch.

Top Bottom