• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

JeTmAn81

Manly Picture Time!
MANLY PICTURE TIME!
z5hAn.jpg

Looks like Im gonna be making MVC stuff.

Awesome!

IMO, this contradicts the idea that UMvC3 is done and dusted. I don't mean to say there's an update coming, but clearly they have people working with the game still.

I think they're lying about the digital release for ps3. I don't see how it could take ANY extra development time just to put the game up in digital form...
What would the motive for lying be?

Sayah

What would the motive for lying be?

Capcom is known for lying.
No spectator matches in vanilla MvC3. Sorry, 6 characters on screen can't handle spectating.

6 months later. Haha, just kidding, we got spectating. Buy Ultimate if you want it.

They're also known for being greedy, having shitty DLC practices, having spelling/grammar errors in all their titles and for raising hopes up for a fanbase and then canning the project they're most looking forward to. Damn, I hate Capcom so much. But I still keep buying their games. lol.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
IMO, this contradicts the idea that UMvC3 is done and dusted. I don't mean to say there's an update coming, but clearly they have people working with the game still.
I don't think it's any different from main devs doing a game, and then when it's said and done a different studio porting it afterwards to another platform, which happens all the time, most notably with PC ports. It's probably the same small team doing both, and they focused on the 360 version first. That doesn't imply they have a relatively large main team still working on the game at all.

Does this mean we're getting a Godhand/Odin Sphere/*name another digital release* sequel also?
I never said we're getting a sequel Beef - take the time to read!

And to me, every VanillaWare game is part of a series. ;-)

Capcom is known for lying.
No spectator matches in vanilla MvC3. Sorry, 6 characters on screen can't handle spectating.

6 months later. Haha, just kidding, we got spectating. Buy Ultimate if you want it.
In nearly every case when someone has a memory of Capcom lying, it's poor memory. Capcom never said 6 characters + spectating was impossible. They said a few other things that might sound similar:
1) Development on MvC3 actually began before SFIV, and match spectating wasn't considered a "Standard feature" at that time. So, they didn't really budget for it or have time.

2) Vanilla Marvel could not handle spectators because of the netcode. I think anyone who has played Vanilla knows that you wouldn't want even more burdens being put on that game with how bad the netcode is. Ultimate got a revamped netcode, so it makes sense that it also gets spectator mode.

3) Seth Killian said they would look into adding spectator mode after Vanilla's release. Well, and they did!

They're also known for being greedy, having shitty DLC practices, having spelling/grammar errors in all their titles and for raising hopes up for a fanbase and then the canning the project they're most looking forward to. Damn, I hate Capcom so much. But I still keep buying their games. lol.
There's a big difference between the suits at Capcom, who are awful people that make terrible business decisions, and the developers, who do their best. I have nothing at all against Capcom, but I will let the company know what won't fly with me.

I don't think it's any different from main devs doing a game, and then when it's said and done a different studio porting it afterwards to another platform, which happens all the time, most notably with PC ports. It's probably the same small team doing both, and they focused on the 360 version first. That doesn't imply they have a relatively large main team still working on the game at all.
Oh, certainly not. But you'd think Capcom would openly say "we're going to make it a digital release, but that's all", and not "that's all". I mean nothing more than that it's peculiar.

Sayah

In nearly every case when someone has a memory of Capcom lying, it's poor memory. Capcom never said 6 characters + spectating was impossible. They said a few other things that might sound similar:
1) Development on MvC3 actually began before SFIV, and match spectating wasn't considered a "Standard feature" at that time. So, they didn't really budget for it or have time.

2) Vanilla Marvel could not handle spectators because of the netcode. I think anyone who has played Vanilla knows that you wouldn't want even more burdens being put on that game with how bad the netcode is. Ultimate got a revamped netcode, so it makes sense that it also gets spectator mode.

3) Seth Killian said they would look into adding spectator mode after Vanilla's release. Well, and they did!

There's a big difference between the suits at Capcom, who are awful people that make terrible business decisions, and the developers, who do their best. I have nothing at all against Capcom, but I will let the company know what won't fly with me.

I remember reading this interview and they had mentioned that the game speed and the fact that it was 3v3 made it harder.

I also don't understand how online spectating was not a standard feature by 2011 when vanilla released. Mostly all the other online fighters I can recall two years or so back had spectating. And then what changed in 6 months time to make spectating possible? The netcode? It always seemed more to me like they always had planned an Ultimate version even before Vanilla released and ultimately just rushed vanilla to the market as an incomplete package. I am also certain some or most of the "new" characters that are in Ultimate were already pre-developed before vanilla came out.

I remember reading this interview and they had mentioned that the game speed and the fact that it was 3v3 made it harder.
Ryota: "That's correct. This title is a 3-on-3 and the game speed is very fast, so the volume of communication data is larger than in SSF4. Even if we added in all those kinds of systems, they'd be no good if the matches were full of lags.
There's also that. Niitsuma made it pretty clear that it was in the context of Vanilla's netcode, though. You and I had a rough first few fights together, but in general the netcode on this game is vastly superior to Vanilla's, which is likely part of the solution.

I also don't understand how online spectating was not a standard feature by 2011 when vanilla released. Mostly all the other online fighters I can recall two years or so back had spectating. And then what changed in 6 months time to make spectating possible? The netcode? It always seemed more to me like they always had planned an Ultimate version even before Vanilla released and ultimately just rushed vanilla to the market as an incomplete package. I am also certain some or most of the "new" characters that are in Ultimate were already pre-developed before vanilla came out.
Different teams worked on MvC3 and SFIV. They each did things their own way. Spectator mode was around, but not a standard feature that people became upset with if it didn't exist. IIRC, KOFXII also had no spectator mode. MvC3 was also a very low budget game compared to SFIV, and the Capcom teams do not share netcode (otherwise UMvC3 would be using SFxT's netcode, since UMvC3's netcode was developed as SFxT was wrapping up development).

Niitsuma also stated in an interview that they originally planned to line Vanilla Marvel with DLC, but the tsunami in Japan rocked their production schedule, and they had to reconsider their approach. Capcom also told Niitsuma that he had to make Ultimate when he did, or forget about working on Marvel altogether for a long time. Niitsuma wanted to add another 8 characters, but Capcom suits wouldn't let him because it would have pushed development back into early 2012, and then the game would have conflicted with SFxT, which was Capcom's baby that got all the big funding.

Pretty sure the dream is dead.

With Tatsunoko license gone too, VS is probably done for a bit imo. GOTTA MAKE SURE SFxT CAN SHINE.

2015 w/ Avengers 2 for Marvel 4. You heard it here first. If not, may I be horribly crushed from above somehow.

shaowebb

I don't suppose you can do custom animations?
You can script their behaviors and their actions across a variety of situations. As far as animations go I can make him kick things if I want. Its fun to have his primary attack as "bash" for the flaming punch and set a script for him to kick something if punched.

Thanks. I'll probably upload one of each outfit he's had and set them ups a a manly pack on steam workshop. Im gonna have so much fun in this game. I love that if he fights a dragon its scripted to have him DESTROY it.

shaowebb

That's awesome, what game is this?

Scribblenauts Unlimited. Its on Steam and you can upload from the in game object creator anything you make to the steam workshop which folks can browse, search and download content from for free in game.

Type any word or adjective and odds on most are in there so long as they aren't profane. I laughed hard when someone made "weed" and it would make those who interacted with it fall asleep then wake up fat, hungry, and stinky. Game gets ridiculous with all the insane ways you can summon puzzles.

I'll be making a ton more stuff from comics and probably from MVC. I was thinking of making Wesker and programming his behavior to do nothing but jump and shoot and to turn people into monsters lol.

Sayah

There's also that. Niitsuma made it pretty clear that it was in the context of Vanilla's netcode, though. You and I had a rough first few fights together, but in general the netcode on this game is vastly superior to Vanilla's, which is likely part of the solution.

Different teams worked on MvC3 and SFIV. They each did things their own way. Spectator mode was around, but not a standard feature that people became upset with if it didn't exist. IIRC, KOFXII also had no spectator mode. MvC3 was also a very low budget game compared to SFIV, and the Capcom teams do not share netcode (otherwise UMvC3 would be using SFxT's netcode, since UMvC3's netcode was developed as SFxT was wrapping up development).

Niitsuma also stated in an interview that they originally planned to line Vanilla Marvel with DLC, but the tsunami in Japan rocked their production schedule, and they had to reconsider their approach. Capcom also told Niitsuma that he had to make Ultimate when he did, or forget about working on Marvel altogether for a long time. Niitsuma wanted to add another 8 characters, but Capcom suits wouldn't let him because it would have pushed development back into early 2012, and then the game would have conflicted with SFxT, which was Capcom's baby that got all the big funding.
SFXTK came out a year after vanilla. I don't think SFXTK would have conflicted even if vanilla Marvel had been pushed back a few months. And 2011 was practically an empty year for fighters in comparison to 2012. It's not like there was other competition getting in the way either. Ultimate just felt like a rip off after I had already payed $60 at launch for vanilla which is why I delayed my purchase of the game for a year and waited for price drops. And I'd imagine that's the same reason vanilla sold waaaay better than Ultimate.

And even if they had released characters as DLC as opposed to a whole separate game, I don't think people like me would have been happy with that either. It's not much a different practice from SFXTK by having DLC characters pre-ready but charging for them months later to fans.

Solune

Scribblenauts Unlimited. Its on Steam and you can upload from the in game object creator anything you make to the steam workshop which folks can browse, search and download content from for free in game.

Type any word or adjective and odds on most are in there so long as they aren't profane. I laughed hard when someone made "weed" and it would make those who interacted with it fall asleep then wake up fat, hungry, and stinky. Game gets ridiculous with all the insane ways you can summon puzzles.

I'll be making a ton more stuff from comics and probably from MVC. I was thinking of making Wesker and programming his behavior to do nothing but jump and shoot and to turn people into monsters lol.

Very cool, look forward to your upcoming stuff!
--
@Slasher, I added you on PSN so we can play sometime.

MvC3 had to work around both Capcom fighting games and Marvel games. That is why it was either to be close to SFxT or when it was released or way later. Capcom wanted to keep as few fighting games out in 2012 to ensure SFxT's success which didn't happen to the degree they wanted.

EDIT: Just found this on SRK. Could all 8 way airdashers have guard break? Probably so. Also don't think Marvel was the one who said no to X-Men characters in MvC3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xXH9NAczSEw

FSLink

Banned
I need to learn fof loops. Any1 here able to do it consistently and wanna give some tips? Timing seems ridiculously tight. I can't do it at all lol

I just learned them and the trick seems to be to delay super jumping a bit after launcher, then hit with Impact Palm xx Flames of the Faltine when your head is on the lower part of their body. The lower they are, the easier it is.

Zissou

Hehe, just got some messages about using assists too much. "Too much of a pssy to play 1 on 1". Bitch, it's a team game!

lol, i love hatemail

Two ways you can do it. First, you can delay the Hopscotch after the dive kick a little bit to make sure you're closer to your opponent, or you can airdash forward j.MH. If you can eyeball that you're out of range for the second j.M, it's easier to airdash for j.M than to delay the Hopscotch.

Thanks man! I really appreciate the help.

shaowebb

Fkm7L.jpg

So much fun. <3

Yes both her and her clone attack if you attack them. Otherwise they flirt.

EDIT: She's listed as MORIGAN and Iron Fist is listed as MANLY FIST for those looking for them in the workshop.

Azure J

I think I have some potential Guard Break setups with Dante, but as with all things Dante, they're insane hard to do (with the exception of one, but since the idea came from Frantic already, I can't call it mine. :( ). With an incoming character approaching:

Meaty Jam Session xx Devil Trigger (First Frame cancel) - Fly - Air Grab
Meaty Volcano xx Devil Trigger (somwhere around a First Frame cancel) - Fly/Jump - Air Grab
Meaty Million Carats xx Devil Trigger (First Frame cancel) - Fly - Air Grab

The last idea I saw work (but can't replicate for shit) is Reverb Shock xx Devil Trigger (somewhere in between the first and second blocked/pushblocked hit) - Walk Up Grab in the corner. If only this one was more consistent.

SFXTK came out a year after vanilla. I don't think SFXTK would have conflicted even if vanilla Marvel had been pushed back a few months. And 2011 was practically an empty year for fighters in comparison to 2012. It's not like there was other competition getting in the way either. Ultimate just felt like a rip off after I had already payed $60 at launch for vanilla which is why I delayed my purchase of the game for a year and waited for price drops. And I'd imagine that's the same reason vanilla sold waaaay better than Ultimate.

And even if they had released characters as DLC as opposed to a whole separate game, I don't think people like me would have been happy with that either. It's not much a different practice from SFXTK by having DLC characters pre-ready but charging for them months later to fans.
I meant that UMvC3 and SFxT conflicted, not MvC3 and SFxT. UMvC3 came out in November of 2011, SFxT in Q1 2012. Pushing UMvC3 back would have conflicted with SFxT. Niitsuma wanted this game to have 58 characters. I hope that's more clear.

All stories point to the UMvC3 cast being decided post-release. According to Seth Killian, Capcom contacted Marvel about an expansion and asked about what characters they could use, and Marvel basically gave them the list of 6 we got here and said "only these". So, that's why we got the 6 we did. The one character that was half done pre-Vanilla release on the Marvel side was never released at all (Doc Ock), so it doesn't seem like they held back content just to mess with people. Remember, Frank West was originally supposed to be in Vanilla. He was only not in because they had trouble making some of his stuff work properly. So, it seems like Vanilla's cast was what it was purely because of time limits. I don't think this is a SFxT situation, where stuff was held back just to mess with people, and I think the evidence is on my side there.

Fkm7L.jpg

So much fun. <3

Yes both her and her clone attack if you attack them. Otherwise they flirt.

EDIT: She's listed as MORIGAN and Iron Fist is listed as MANLY FIST for those looking for them in the workshop.
Dormammu!

How do you design all that stuff?

Is he harder to play than mag or something?
More awkward, for certain. Not harder though, IMO. You have to work harder to win, but that's not the same as him being harder to play.

I meant that UMvC3 and SFxT conflicted, not MvC3 and SFxT. UMvC3 came out in November of 2011, SFxT in Q1 2012. Pushing UMvC3 back would have conflicted with SFxT. Niitsuma wanted this game to have 58 characters. I hope that's more clear.

All stories point to the UMvC3 cast being decided post-release. According to Seth Killian, Capcom contacted Marvel about an expansion and asked about what characters they could use, and Marvel basically gave them the list of 6 we got here and said "only these". So, that's why we got the 6 we did. The one character that was half done pre-Vanilla release on the Marvel side was never released at all (Doc Ock), so it doesn't seem like they held back content just to mess with people. Remember, Frank West was originally supposed to be in Vanilla. He was only not in because they had trouble making some of his stuff work properly. So, it seems like Vanilla's cast was what it was purely because of time limits. I don't think this is a SFxT situation, where stuff was held back just to mess with people, and I think the evidence is on my side there.

Dormammu!

How do you design all that stuff?

More awkward, for certain. Not harder though, IMO. You have to work harder to win, but that's not the same as him being harder to play.

Karst, you forgot all the Marvel games it had to avoid as well. And honestly I think the list was bigger than six and also I think it was Capcom's exec decisions with X-Men being left out. The overlay from Avengers Alliance and Marvel Heroes just makes me go huh?

LakeEarth

Some new Marvel knowledge I found out. Up TAC adds damage to the rest of the combo, this I knew. What I didn't know is that if you up TAC again, you get double the damage boost. They stack.

mr. puppy

Banned
yadda yadda there won't be a patch, this game doesn't need anything. its zany and stupid and still has years to go.

Now, for more important measures. Lets pick the Curleh top 10:

#1: RAYRAY. Screw you guys, he can take out ChrisG.
#2: ChrisG. Fraud Vergil play loses out at the end after he drops another Vergil combo
#3: Spooky. I don't know what team he uses. Its sppoky.
#4: Bum: High health > Viper
#5: Marlinpie: See #4
#6: Flux: ZMC player whose Dante is becoming his best character
#7: Noel Brown: Great player, bad team.
#8: Moons: Gets here on team color coordination alone
#9: JRosa/Nerdjosh: one of them gets top 10 on fraud chrisg dickriding
#10: Marvisto: Gotta love that NoveVajra.

Bizazedo

yadda yadda there won't be a patch, this game doesn't need anything. its zany and stupid and still has years to go.

Now, for more important measures. Lets pick the Curleh top 10:

#1: RAYRAY. Screw you guys, he can take out ChrisG.
#2: ChrisG. Fraud Vergil play loses out at the end after he drops another Vergil combo
#3: Spooky. I don't know what team he uses. Its sppoky.
#4: Bum: High health > Viper
#5: Marlinpie: See #4
#6: Flux: ZMC player whose Dante is becoming his best character
#7: Noel Brown: Great player, bad team.
#8: Moons: Gets here on team color coordination alone
#9: JRosa/Nerdjosh: one of them gets top 10 on fraud chrisg dickriding
#10: Marvisto: Gotta love that NoveVajra.

#1-#2. Sure.
#3. lol
#4. No, can't adapt quickly enough in a tournament setting. Psyches himself out mentally.
#5. Wildcard, depends how he's feeling.
#6. Too cautious, believe he'll fall sooner. His strength is his team.
#7. Yeah, needs a new team. I don't think he gets top 8 due to this.
#8. Stronger every day.
#9. Extremely accurate, s'why I don't think top 8. They'll run into someone better.
#10. No idea.

I say my buddy Boog makes it to top 16, hopefully top 8. He can beat Flux and has knocked Marlinpie out of TheBreak in the past, just hope he doesn't get hit with that mental guard break.

Again :(.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Who has been in every grudge match thus far?

Hopefully those two are back from their Black Friday sale at TRU.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Any chance Iron Man will be a sleeper? Stark needs his shine
Much more risk, from normals to supers, for "only" more reward (higher damage output). He'll always be a sleeper because people underrate his capabilities and he's underutilized, but he has far too many fundamental problems to let him hang with the elite of UMvC3.

Top Bottom