• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Sayah

I think I will try She-Hulk/Trish/Ammy for the moment. It's probably not be a good overall team for me to stick with but I've found these three characters to be my primary good characters. Everyone else, I suck with.

Goddamn, I think Hsien-ko may be Panda's kryptonite.

Edit: ROFL, this non-Panda guy just got OCVed by Hsien-ko.

I think I will try She-Hulk/Trish/Ammy for the moment. It's probably not be a good overall team for me to stick with but I've found these three characters to be my primary good characters. Everyone else, I suck with.
You'll probably want to run Low Voltage for that team to give She-Hulk some long range support.

Sayah

You're all still playing? I'm missing out on fun. :(
You'll probably want to run Low Voltage for that team to give She-Hulk some long range support.

I suck so hard with assists. It was was easier when I could button mash gustaff fire. Now I'm always scared of happy b-day's.

Anyway, I have to ask what the best option against T. Hawk is with a She-Hulk/Trish/Ammy team. Think I'm getting used to all the different Nova tactics now. He shouldn't be as much of a problem in the future. But T. Hawk............I don't know about that.

You're all still playing? I'm missing out on fun. :(
I'm just watching. I promised my wife no more Marvel tonight because my button slamming wakes her up, and she has work at 7.

I suck so hard with assists. It was was easier when I could button mash gustaff fire. Now I'm always scared of happy b-day's.
That's why I hated Gustaff Fire...

Anyway, there are 3 good ways to handle assists:
1) Have your opponent in blockstun first.
2) Call the assist in such a way that punishing the assist would leave your opponent too vulnerable to make the punishment feasible.
3) Call the assist in such a way that your opponent can't attack it at all within reason (teleports, being at superjump height while calling an assist).

Anyway, I have to ask what the best option against T. Hawk is with a She-Hulk/Trish/Ammy team. Think I'm getting used to all the different Nova tactics now. He shouldn't be as much of a problem in the future. But T. Hawk............I don't know about that.
Say wha?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Fy3P9.gif

jOySd1MJ0bLGT.png

Sayah

I'm just watching. I promised my wife no more Marvel tonight because my button slamming wakes her up, and she has work at 7.

That's why I hated Gustaff Fire...

Anyway, there are 3 good ways to handle assists:
1) Have your opponent in blockstun first.
2) Call the assist in such a way that punishing the assist would leave your opponent too vulnerable to make the punishment feasible.
3) Call the assist in such a way that your opponent can't attack it at all within reason (teleports, being at superjump height while calling an assist).

Say wha?
Yeah, I need to figure out how exactly I can do numbers 1 and 2 or 3 if I end up having a teleport character.
And I need sleep. I meant hawkeye. haha

Yeah, I need to figure out how exactly I can do numbers 1 and 2 or 3 if I end up having a teleport character.
And I need sleep. I meant hawkeye. haha
I got nothin' on Hawkeye. Maybe Panda has advice for you. He counters all my characters, so I just try to luck out.

And man, the crew that's still here after you guys left is terribad. I just saw this combo:
SWISS CHEESE -> Berserker Barrage X -> X-Factor -> SWISS CHEESE!

Sayah

I got nothin' on Hawkeye. Maybe Panda has advice for you. He counters all my characters, so I just try to luck out.

And man, the crew that's still here after you guys left is terribad. I just saw this combo:
SWISS CHEESE -> Berserker Barrage X -> X-Factor -> SWISS CHEESE!
Probably need a teleport character I guess for when he wants to camp and throw arrows.
Also, lmao.

Sorry but the way you listed the combo is hilarious.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Hawkeye loses to:

Vergil
Deadpool
not hsien ko shut up
Phoenix
Dr. Strange

I'm probably the only Hawkeye you'll run into that you'd need to use one of these characters against. Most I run into I can just use whoever cause they suck.

Sayah

Hawkeye loses to:

Vergil
Deadpool
not hsien ko shut up
Phoenix
Dr. Strange

I'm probably the only Hawkeye you'll run into that you'd need to use one of these characters against. Most I run into I can just use whoever cause they suck.

Deadpool and Dr. Strange are the two on the list I'm interested in. Maybe Vergil but not really. And deadpool projectiles override hawkeye arrows?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I'd say sorta even with a slight edge to Hawkeye when they have to face each other in a projectile war but it's his teleports which are fast as fuuuuuuck that help him take on Hawkeye.

Pretty sure I was the one who lucked out against you're Dark Phoenix before.
I thought that maybe I could get you before you had time to get another Gimlet out. :-(

Probably need a teleport character I guess for when he wants to camp and throw arrows.
Also, lmao.

Sorry but the way you listed the combo is hilarious.
Teleports are one way, but Hawkeye is really just the kind of character you need to be patient against. Any keepaway character's player gets nervous when an opponent just crouches and blocks for a good 5 seconds.

Hawkeye loses to:

Vergil
Deadpool
not hsien ko shut up
Phoenix
Dr. Strange

Hsien-ko + Hidden Missiles > Hawkeye? ;-)

Also, I met a guy on GFAQs with a really rockin' Hawkeye. His name is Platypus7, and he rocks Hawkeye/Iron Man and rushes a lot with him. I found him hard as heck to block.

Azure J

Rushdown Hawkeye is moderately more terrifying that a perfect zoning Hawkeye imo. That slide - poison tip blockstring just keeps me far too docile while it chips like a bitch.

Dahbomb

Deadpool has the instant teleport he can get in with. Plus he has the angle down guns that can harass even Hawkeye without Gimlet.

Vergil is really the only true counterpick to Hawkeye. Normally MorriDoom against a stacked Hawkeye team but if the MorriDoom team has Vergil it can best the Hawkeye team. That's my guess as to why ChrisG is using his current team... Vergil covers up many of the characters that can deal with MorriDoom.

Reading through the Dr. Strange forums on SRK, and I find out that Flames of the Faltine beats all beams! Wow! Just tested it, too, and it rips through Sentinel's s.H, Dr. Doom's Plasma Beam, and Iron Man's Unibeam. Looks like this little 3 hit point projectile has secrets!

And I just tested Dr. Strange's c.M since people talk about it so much - wow, I thought Dormammu's c.M was good...

Video proof of the former for all curious:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FsR6UneK4IE

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Reading through the Dr. Strange forums on SRK, and I find out that Flames of the Faltine beats all beams! Wow! Just tested it, too, and it rips through Sentinel's s.H, Dr. Doom's Plasma Beam, and Iron Man's Unibeam. Looks like this little 3 hit point projectile has secrets!

And I just tested Dr. Strange's c.M since people talk about it so much - wow, I thought Dormammu's c.M was good...

No secrets, only LIES about durability. WTF.

Solune

That's really weird, wonder why it only beats those beams specifically.
Would Ironman work with Magneto and Dante?

Joker runs Magneto Ironman Sentinel, So I'd run the same order with Dante anchor.

I know, and look at how old the video is! Damn Dr. Strange players holding out on us.
The Dr. Strange vs. Doom matchup is already so awful for Doom. -_-

No secrets, only LIES about durability. WTF.
It must have a special property, because the durability is what it says. It cancels out Wesker's gunshot, which is 3 projectile hit points, so it must have the same value.

A lot of people just don't understand how durability works. When they see Unibeam has "11 frames x 1 low priority durability points", they think "oh okay, 11 durability". And if you do something like Unibeam vs. two Hadokens, you'll see that Unibeam wins. But that's not all that's going on. The Unibeam's hit points drain differently from the Hadokens. Basically, the Unibeam rotates its hitpoints, and the more it loses, the weaker the beam becomes (thus if you Unibeam vs. Hadoken, Unibeam wins, but it hits fewer times).

If you pay close attention, though, you'll notice that the Hadoken doesn't get blipped out immediately. It has to be "worn down" as it chugs through Unibeam's rotating frames. For this reason, even though 10 frames x 1 hit point is mathematically the same as 5 frames x 2 hit points, the latter is superior because it will grind down opposing projectiles faster.

This is why Flames of the Faltine won't beat EMD, Psionic Blaster, or Mighty Spark. EMD L, for example, has 1 frame x 5 low priority durability points, so EMD L is basically the same as Hadoken in durability, and there's no "grinding".

This is also why Eye of Agamotto is a piece of shit. It has 10 frames x 1 low priority durability points, so it has to slowly "grind" down projectiles. It generally rocks beams because they grind each other down, but the following all pass through Eye of Agamotto:
Samurai Edge
Magnum
Hadoken

Yes, Hadoken > Eye of Agamotto. Basically, Eye of Agamotto is only able to grind through 4/5 of Hadoken's hit points before Hadoken leaves Eye of Agamotto's hitbox region. You can test this hypothesis by running Eye of Agamotto vs. Akuma's Gohadoken. Gohadoken L gets eaten by Eye of Agamotto, while Gohadoken H passes through Eye of Agamotto. This can only be accounted for by considering the speed the projectile is traveling at, which allows for Eye of Agamotto to spend more time to grind the projectile down.

None of this explains why Flames of the Faltine beats Unibeam, Plasma Beam, or Sentinel's s.H - it's just a weird property (glitch?) it has. However, I tested all the beams in this game, and Flames of the Faltine only beats projectiles that have "# frames x 1 hit point". So, it seems like Flames of the Faltine has a weird property that says something like "Unless the opposing projectile can beat Flames of the Faltine in a single hit, Flames of the Faltine will not lose durability", which allows it to beat Unibeam, Plasma Beam, and Sentinel's s.H.

Onemic

That's really weird, wonder why it only beats those beams specifically.

Joker runs Magneto Ironman Sentinel, So I'd run the same order with Dante anchor.

What makes IM's beam assist good? doesn't it scale damage very heavily if you combo from it?

What makes IM's beam assist good? doesn't it scale damage very heavily if you combo from it?
It...
1) Is a beam!
2) Leaves your opponent standing (very important for some characters).
3) Does not cause much pushback (good for some characters, bad for others).
4) Causes a lot of blockstun (you can usually get 1 mix-up in).

Extremely good assist.

Solune

I wouldn't rock IM beam assist for that team, especially if I was playing Dante / Ironman / Magneto with Dante on point since EMD is better as a mixup / damage tool. I'd choose Repulsor.

Along with what Karst said, there's a long start up before Unibeam comes out, it's both good and bad in some ways. If you've ever run Captain America and Ironman you'll know what I'm talking about. It provides incredibly good horizontal coverage after your attack, So if you "randomly" Charging Star and your opponent blocks, Unibeam will protect you completely most of the time outside of X-factor punishes.

loool Parker Rides Strangely is a hilarious team. Balthakk is pretty silly.

Everyone's first mistake against me so far: thinking that I am thinking. I don't know how to think with that team yet.

Shame it took me a year to give Dr Strange a second shake. He's pretty fun, not knowing what to do yet notwithstanding. Guess I didn't have the understanding before but still.

Nova is lol. Once I get the infinite down I guess I can do that TAC glitch with Spider-Man into "hah ur ded". Also trying to perfect Takedown to get close, DHC into UWT for Morrigan's chucking shit. Funny stuff.

By the by, is the TAC glitch unbreakable (the one with characters that reset their air state (Morrigan, Zero, Spidey, Chun))? Or is it just another guess you have to deal with?

By the by, is the TAC glitch unbreakable (the one with characters that reset their air state (Morrigan, Zero, Spidey, Chun))? Or is it just another guess you have to deal with?

Just a second layer. But it's really useful that only have one or two infinite directions because that way it'll work off of any direction. And you only have to learn one infinite lol

Learn the FoF loop, and I believe Spidey can do the unique DHC into Rings using UWT and kill. Unsure though. Pretty positive he can.

And then laugh at the meter. LAUGH!

Learn the FoF loop, and I believe Spidey can do the unique DHC into Rings using UWT and kill. Unsure though. Pretty positive he can.

And then laugh at the meter. LAUGH!

I can mostly do the FoF loop. Just need a reliable way to set it up really. Going to figure it out, because I'm sure it's there. I really don't know what this character does outside of let people get the first hit for him and spam balthakk, haha.

Also, lol at people who still think Vergil Missiles isn't some stupid shit. Blocking + space control forever.

smurfx

get some go again
its awesome never being able to get any offense started thanks to vergil+missiles. lets not forget TAC shenanigans.

Missiles plus anything is stupid shit.

What about Nova? Both Dragon God and Infrit started out with Nova + missiles, and then switched to beam.

I tried playing Nova/Spenc/Doom for fun and I can see why Infrit switched to beam. Personally if I were to main that team I would go for missiles just because I love them 80k, but beam totally does help Nova out a lot more.

Dahbomb

I am actually surprised no one has started using Joe + Doom yet. Seems like the most annoying shit ever. Put in Vergil or Morrigan in there... GODLIKE!

What about Nova? Both Dragon God and Infrit started out with Nova + missiles, and then switched to beam.
DragonGod was using Nova plus Missiles and Task arrows. As long as you have horizontal coverage for Nova, Missiles just stamps its authority.

Personally I think missiles are still not the best for rushdown minded characters like Wolverine/Wesker but its still annoying as shit when some teleporter or fast character has it.

Sayah

Missiles plus anything is stupid shit.

Agreed. So many combo videos have it and people must think it's really cool the way they're extending combos with that stupid assist. It's not. Be original and innovative instead of using a derpy, overpowered and overused assist that can be button-mashed to oblivion.

Edit: Granted I used Gustaff fire but that's besides the point.

Dahbomb

Well missiles can't be mashed but I agree with everything else in that post. Too bad that missiles in fact IS a godlike combo extender for some characters.

I am actually surprised no one has started using Joe + Doom yet. Seems like the most annoying shit ever.

Better players than me can probably chime in, but Joe/Doom is pretty nice since at the very least you get time to charge up Voomerangs for chip nonsense. My Doom is worse than my Raccoon though, so I never use him.

Top Bottom