• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

mr. puppy

Banned
Computer spamming Morrigan fireballs in a set pattern does not compare with ChrisG adjusting fireballs and pressuring you depending upon the situation.

Although I don't doubt the strength of that team.

I'm not an idiot, of course I know that. It doesn't mean I can at least get some idea if its a stupid idea or not.

See, I disagree on that. The tools a craftsman uses are equally important as the skill of the craftsman himself. The fact that JRosa, a decidedly mediocre player was able to get top 3 over players such as moons, dieminion, predator, rayray, etc speaks volumes. No, he did not beat Noel Brown. But did he just get lucky? Or is Morrigan really that big of a problem?
JRosa has really stepped up his game recently. Dieminion is not a noteworthy Marvel player until he learns how to do something with Dr. Strange besides DHC him out. I swear, by the way he plays you'd think Dr. Strange is Hsien-ko. Predator is largely a nobody. Moons and RayRay are the only players worth mentioning from that list, and did JRosa actually beat those players? I honestly didn't watch most of the night, so I'm asking. If JRosa didn't beat them, then it's a non-point.

Why should anyone care what James Chen has to say about Marvel? He hasn't actively followed it for months, and has always has had lackluster insight beyond what's obvious. "There's a lot that's unexplored!" is a stock answer replacement for "something might beat it, maybe. i dunno."
Damn straight. I don't even take him seriously in his Street Fighter commentary. The man honestly bothers me a bit. I put him on the same level as the people in the SRK tier list thread.

rocK`

Banned
i wish somebody good would pickup Firebrand/Rocket Raccoon/Jam Session....if you open up training mode and just set the computer to spamming morridoom, you really find a lot of way to negotiate through the bullshit with firebrand flight/wall cling and RR's tunneling around. Jam Session can also take care of a good amount of the projectiles too.

negotiate?

Dahbomb

I want to see a top player pick up Dante/Strider but know one has yet. Guess everyone is scared to learn Dante.
Well Padtrick uses the team. Dante + Vajra on point, any hit is TOD thanks to Vergil DHC. Vergil + Vajra means full screen top to bottom and left to right mix up/screen presence, any hit is a kill because he's going to factor it. If Vergil dies Strider comes loaded. Team is derp enough, would actually do well against Chris' team.

negotiate?
I think he meant navigate.

Odinson

Mahvelgaf, I recently picked up X-23 and was wondering what would be a better team for her. Hulk/Laura/Task or Laura/Dorm/Task? Ankle slice assit helps Hulk but doesn't seem to do much for dorm unless I'm calling it to late. Was thinking of using neck slice instead. Any help would be appreciated.

It's common in English to talk about "negotiating" as a form of maneuvering.

Mahvelgaf, I recently picked up X-23 and was wondering what would be a better team for her. Hulk/Laura/Task or Laura/Dorm/Task? Ankle slice assit helps Hulk but doesn't seem to do much for dorm unless I'm calling it to late. Was thinking of using neck slice instead. Any help would be appreciated.
Use her anti-air assist. It has really good priority and gets full combos from a crossover counter.

Azure J

I want to see a top player pick up Dante/Strider but know one has yet. Guess everyone is scared to learn Dante.

The saddest part about this duo is that the people I've seen and screwed around with that use the core both here and on SRK are MONSTERS, but for whatever reason, don't get enough exposure whether it be because of their own situation/personal decisions, a general "tsundere" feeling towards the game, or (strangely enough) don't believe enough in Dante to do the work.

I feel like this is going to remain the forum monster's duo of choice, but I really really really think that if people want to deal with more matchups, they're going to want to invest in this duo in much higher numbers.

Frantic

The saddest part about this duo is that the people I've seen and screwed around with that use the core both here and on SRK are MONSTERS, but for whatever reason, don't get enough exposure whether it be because of their own situation/personal decisions, a general "tsundere" feeling towards the game, or (strangely enough) don't believe enough in Dante to do the work.

I feel like this is going to remain the forum monster's duo of choice, but I really really really think that if people want to deal with more matchups, they're going to want to invest in this duo in much higher numbers.
I think all Dante/Strider players are poverty monsters. I know I am! lol. I also don't like being around a bunch of people I don't know so I might not enjoy myself all that much, especially in a game as salt-inducing as Marvel. :p

On another note, are there any notable DHC extensions with Dante/Dorm? I'm number crunching DHCs for ones that will surpass 250k off the DHC and I feel like Dorm should be able to extend after a Stalking Flare, but I'm not figuring out a way to do it.

On another note, are there any notable DHC extensions with Dante/Dorm? I'm number crunching DHCs for ones that will surpass 250k off the DHC and I feel like Dorm should be able to extend after a Stalking Flare, but I'm not figuring out a way to do it.
From Dante to Dormammu, you can do Million Dollars -> Stalking Flare, charge 1D1C, release 1D1C, Purification, Chaotic Flame.

I've always suspected that if you do Million Dollars -> Stalking Flare, calling Jam Session at just the right time might let you charge all the way to 1D2C and release it, but I hate Dante so I never messed with it.

As far as I know, Dormammu -> Dante has nothing good outside of corners, where you can DHC to Devil Trigger. Jam Session lets him combo into Stalking Flare, but then you're losing the relaunch, so it's not too worthwhile unless you have a second assist to set up Dark Spells mid-combo, or if you have 2D1C charged, which works well with Jam Session.

Let me know if you find anything cool.

I'm leaving soon, but I still have an urge for Mahvel since school prevented me from playing for a while, so who is up for some matches or a lobby later in the day? Probably at night.

Speaking of matches, ggs to Sigmaah yesterday, and fuck your Dark Wesker for denying most of my Dark Strider comebacks >:|

Frantic

From Dante to Dormammu, you can do Million Dollars -> Stalking Flare, charge 1D1C, release 1D1C, Purification, Chaotic Flame.
Is there anything specific to getting it to work? I always seem unable to do anything with that. Then again, I don't really know the proper timing of Dorm's spell charging. Guess I'll have to mess with it, thanks.

As far as I know, Dormammu -> Dante has nothing good outside of corners, where you can DHC to Devil Trigger. Jam Session lets him combo into Stalking Flare, but then you're losing the relaunch, so it's not too worthwhile unless you have a second assist to set up Dark Spells mid-combo, or if you have 2D1C charged, which works well with Jam Session.
Whenever I messed with Dorm, I would just Flame Carpet + Jam Session, Dark Matter, Dark Hole L. I tend to do Dorm's wall bounce jump loops in and out of the corner, so I never have a reason to relaunch.

Let me know if you find anything cool.
I forget who it was or what stream it was(might have actually been Zak Bennett), but I saw a Dorm superjump confirm that let him combo. It was j.H, fly, j.LS, land, j.LHS. It's kind of tight, but not too hard.

If I find anything else when labbing it up, I'll post about it. I did find a way to build about 80% bar off MD > Astral Vision DHC. Soul Drain + Jam Session, fly, j.H, Shadow Blade H. I'm trying to figure out a way to get two Soul Drains post DHC, but they're always floating too high for the second volley, or they flip out before they hit. It feels possible, but I have yet to land it. :/

Is there anything specific to getting it to work? I always seem unable to do anything with that. Then again, I don't really know the proper timing of Dorm's spell charging. Guess I'll have to mess with it, thanks.
It's really just learning the timing on Dark Spells and knowing when Dormammu recovers from Stalking Flare. I've only recently gotten the timing down to where I can do it in a match if I need to. It's especially difficult because knowing the timing on Dark Spells in the neutral is not the same as knowing them mid-combo, since the hitstop in the game will trip you up. It's really best to just practice doing something like Reverb Shock, Fireworks, Million Dollars, Stalking Flare over and over.

Whenever I messed with Dorm, I would just Flame Carpet + Jam Session, Dark Matter, Dark Hole L. I tend to do Dorm's wall bounce jump loops in and out of the corner, so I never have a reason to relaunch.
Gotcha. Personally, I don't like doing c.L, s.H as my blockstring since it whiffs on some characters, so I don't go for jump loops unless it's off of Dark Matter or an assist.

I forget who it was or what stream it was(might have actually been Zak Bennett), but I saw a Dorm superjump confirm that let him combo. It was j.H, fly, j.LS, land, j.LHS. It's kind of tight, but not too hard.
The hardest part of this is linking the j.L after flying. You pretty much have to cancel j.H into flight right as j.H hits. You're a Dante player, though, so I'm sure it'll come quick to you.

If I find anything else when labbing it up, I'll post about it. I did find a way to build about 80% bar off MD > Astral Vision DHC. Soul Drain + Jam Session, fly, j.H, Shadow Blade H. I'm trying to figure out a way to get two Soul Drains post DHC, but they're always floating too high for the second volley, or they flip out before they hit. It feels possible, but I have yet to land it. :/
Morrigan is the queen of "feels possible", haha.

I just worked it out, and it's really tight timing, but the following seems to work:
Million Dollars, Astral Vision, Jam Session, Soul Drain, fly-cancel, Soul Drain.

You need to cancel Million Dollars ASAP after the penultimate bullet hits.

Frantic

It's really just learning the timing on Dark Spells and knowing when Dormammu recovers from Stalking Flare. I've only recently gotten the timing down to where I can do it in a match if I need to. It's especially difficult because knowing the timing on Dark Spells in the neutral is not the same as knowing them mid-combo, since the hitstop in the game will trip you up. It's really best to just practice doing something like Reverb Shock, Fireworks, Million Dollars, Stalking Flare over and over.
I've gotten a feel for it. They have to be juggled by MD at a certain height, and you have to cancel into Stalking Flare as they rise from the final hit. I was thinking it had to be done on the floating part, so that was my biggest mistake. Still don't have the spell timings 100%, but I'm getting there. Definitely need the sound for them, too.

Quick number crunch showed around 287k from DHC and post-DHC combo with Jam Session. About 404k if Chaotic Flame was used. Think there's a way to extend everything further, will have to mess with it. Also tends to vary depending on how many of the meteors actually hit. Those numbers were after only a few meteors hit.

Gotcha. Personally, I don't like doing c.L, s.H as my blockstring since it whiffs on some characters, so I don't go for jump loops unless it's off of Dark Matter or an assist.
Didn't know that. I'll keep that in mind for whenever I actually play him.

The hardest part of this is linking the j.L after flying. You pretty much have to cancel j.H into flight right as j.H hits. You're a Dante player, though, so I'm sure it'll come quick to you.
I've more or less got it down. All you really have to do is run the double OS of f.H, hcb.S. If you throw, second input won't matter. If you hit, you'll fly immediately.

Morrigan is the queen of "feels possible", haha.

I just worked it out, and it's really tight timing, but the following seems to work:
Million Dollars, Astral Vision, Jam Session, Soul Drain, fly-cancel, Soul Drain.

You need to cancel Million Dollars ASAP after the penultimate bullet hits.
How long of a combo are you doing with Dante? I ask because if I go for a relatively short combo, I can land it, but I have yet to land it after an extended Dante combo(and by extended, I mean double Acid Rain + Strider assist extensions to build a full two bars).

I've gotten a feel for it. They have to be juggled by MD at a certain height, and you have to cancel into Stalking Flare as they rise from the final hit. I was thinking it had to be done on the floating part, so that was my biggest mistake. Still don't have the spell timings 100%, but I'm getting there. Definitely need the sound for them, too.

Quick number crunch showed around 287k from DHC and post-DHC combo with Jam Session. About 404k if Chaotic Flame was used. Think there's a way to extend everything further, will have to mess with it. Also tends to vary depending on how many of the meteors actually hit. Those numbers were after only a few meteors hit.
Yeah, 1D2C and 1D1C are a pain. Every once in a while bad meteor placement will screw you over.

I've more or less got it down. All you really have to do is run the double OS of f.H, hcb.S. If you throw, second input won't matter. If you hit, you'll fly immediately.
I figured you'd find it easier than I do, haha.

How long of a combo are you doing with Dante? I ask because if I go for a relatively short combo, I can land it, but I have yet to land it after an extended Dante combo(and by extended, I mean double Acid Rain + Strider assist extensions to build a full two bars).
Not a very long combo. I think I just did it off of Reverb Shock, Fireworks, Million Dollars. I was doing longer Dante combos at first, but it takes too long to run each test. -_-

Frantic

Not a very long combo. I think I just did it off of Reverb Shock, Fireworks, Million Dollars. I was doing longer Dante combos at first, but it takes too long to run each test. -_-
Yeah, that's what I usually do if I'm testing DHCs since most of them work at max scaling since they're usually soft-knockdown moves, but Soul Drain at max scaling causes them to pop out super fast. Early on, it's not so hard for me. I can do Soul Drain, fly, Soul Drain, unfly, Shadow Blade H and build like 1.4 bar. At max scaling, it still feels possible for two Soul Drains, but I have yet to get it down. It's probably a frame tight combo if anything.

I can see it being pretty useful off a Stinger > Reverb Shock, though.

Yeah, that's what I usually do if I'm testing DHCs since most of them work at max scaling since they're usually soft-knockdown moves, but Soul Drain at max scaling causes them to pop out super fast. Early on, it's not so hard for me. I can do Soul Drain, fly, Soul Drain, unfly, Shadow Blade H and build like 1.4 bar. At max scaling, it still feels possible for two Soul Drains, but I have yet to get it down. It's probably a frame tight combo if anything.

I can see it being pretty useful off a Stinger > Reverb Shock, though.
The way I did it, Jam Session's HSD would be the limiting factor, not Soul Drain.

Frantic

The way I did it, Jam Session's HSD would be the limiting factor, not Soul Drain.
While Jam Session's HSD is ultimately the deciding factor, you still want to be able to hit Soul Drain as soon as possible so you have as much time to fly and use a second one during Jam Session. The lack of hitstun on Soul Drain at max scaling means you have to time it to hit just as Jam Session does, which I find isn't that easy to do. You can get Jam Session to hit slightly before Soul Drain, but then you have no time to fly and land another one.

This wouldn't be a problem if assists didn't have HSD. Still hate that change.

While Jam Session's HSD is ultimately the deciding factor, you still want to be able to hit Soul Drain as soon as possible so you have as much time to fly and use a second one during Jam Session. The lack of hitstun on Soul Drain at max scaling means you have to time it to hit just as Jam Session does, which I find isn't that easy to do. You can get Jam Session to hit slightly before Soul Drain, but then you have no time to fly and land another one.

This wouldn't be a problem if assists didn't have HSD. Still hate that change.
My first Soul Drain was hitting just a frame or two before Jam Session. Not sure if that helps.

I hate that assists have HSD now. What was the point of that? Shorter combos or something, which really just means characters who have high HSD moves like Dante and Vergil are the same while a character like Dormammu suffers. I used to have a massive list of assists that let Dormammu relaunch mid-screen, and that list is much, much shorter now.

With the Dark Matter change, I'd be able to get a full relaunch from Akuma's tatsu assist. Now? If I do ground throw, dash, Flame Carpet + Tatsu, if the stars align Dark Matter might connect.

Also, it would be pretty sweet to do:
Ammy Combo, Okami Shuffle -> Stalking Flare, 1D1C, Cold Star, Dark Matter, Dark Hole, Chaotic Flame. Damn HSD nerf!

Zissou

See, I disagree on that. The tools a craftsman uses are equally important as the skill of the craftsman himself. The fact that JRosa, a decidedly mediocre player was able to get top 3 over players such as moons, dieminion, predator, rayray, etc speaks volumes. No, he did not beat Noel Brown. But did he just get lucky? Or is Morrigan really that big of a problem?

I really don't think you can discount JRosa- he played well. He also had the habit of chucking a ton more soul drains ChrisG, which his opponents were very poor at adapting to. They would either get their point character hit by soul drains or they'd carelessly call assists and they'd get tagged. Either way, it meant he almost always had meter for astral vision, and maybe even more importantly, his opponents had VERY limited access to meter themselves, which is very bad for his opponents, especially since many characters' best solutions to dealing with the projectile spam involve meter usage.

On top of that there is just plain stubbornness- many players still refuse to change teams to fight morridoom even though their chosen team means they essentially lost at character select.

Sigmaah

I'm leaving soon, but I still have an urge for Mahvel since school prevented me from playing for a while, so who is up for some matches or a lobby later in the day? Probably at night.

Speaking of matches, ggs to Sigmaah yesterday, and fuck your Dark Wesker for denying most of my Dark Strider comebacks >:|

I'll probably be on so I'm down for matches. Dude. Good shit with your RR. That MOFUGGA was demolishing my Zero. AND FUCK DARK AMMY.

It's hard to play a game when your so bad at it.
And usually I play playstation 1 discs now a days :\
What's holding you back?

It's a game you have to invest in. Today, for the first time ever, I did these two combos with Morrigan in training mode three times in a row (and then proceed to not be able to do them for another 10 attempts):
s.LMH, f.H, j.MMH, qcf.H, ADD, j.H, qcf.H, s.S, sj.MMH, dp.M, qcf.AA

s.S, sj.H, qcf.H, ADD, sj.H, qcf.H, s.S, sj.MMH, dp.M, qcf.AA

I take like 5 minutes every couple days and just practice someone execution-based these days. It usually turns into a longer session because my noggin' starts ticking with ideas, but it's important. I can feel myself get better every time I play. The number of Morrigan comebacks I achieve these days is baffling.

Wanna play a few? Im just as bad if not worse than you.
What about your internet?

Zissou

I find myself messing around in training mode doing combos for characters I tried but didn't end up actually picking up (Jill jump loops and other random stuff). I don't know if it's just in case I want to use the character in the future or what, but it feels like it keeps me sharp. It's probably all in my head though, lol.

I'll probably be on so I'm down for matches. Dude. Good shit with your RR. That MOFUGGA was demolishing my Zero. AND FUCK DARK AMMY.

When he wanted to work that is, I blame being in GG mode most of the day for my initial awfulness =.=

And yes, all hail the dark sun.

Zissou

What are people's thoughts on the best third character to give you the edge in the moridoom mirror match? I like JRosa's choice of Strider. Despite it losing to missiles (depending on timing), if the opposing Morrigan gets tagged with it, it gives you a ton of momentum. ChrisG's recent Vergil in the second position team configuration is also good since despite his assist being useless in the neutral game, he can plow through zoning pretty well on point, if he's got the meter for SS.

Dahbomb

What are people's thoughts on the best third character to give you the edge in the moridoom mirror match? I like JRosa's choice of Strider. Despite it losing to missiles (depending on timing), if the opposing Morrigan gets tagged with it, it gives you a ton of momentum. ChrisG's recent Vergil in the second position team configuration is also good since despite his assist being useless in the neutral game, he can plow through zoning pretty well on point, if he's got the meter for SS.
Hawkeye for sure, on point if it's a MorriDoom mirror match. He can take on the combo at least. A 3rd character like Vergil messes you up but you can then equip the other characters that can handle Vergil.

I am just laughing as well.

Sorry but kinda funny.

Karst, what did you do to piss everyone off?
Aside from the instigator, I honestly don't think anyone is mad at me. They're just having fun with what seems like a dramatic situation. FatBoyRoberts' picture gave me a good laugh.

Also, news: Maziodyne confirms that Dormammu can DHC into Dr. Strange for FotF loops. ^_^

That means I should learn them - crap.

Did I tell everyone that I found a DHC from Dr. Strange to Morrigan that lets her connect Soul Drain?

Just having fun with it.

Better get on the FoF loops. GO MAN GO!

Let me guess: Stalking Flare to Rings?
Yup!

I can't do FotF loops for crap. I just don't get it. I'll try this:
s.S, sj.f.+H, qcb.H, sj.f+H, and 99% of the time the second Impact Palm whiffs. -_-

Looking for Maziodyne's tutorial right now...

So in other words, Karst after the first hit is going to have five bars stopped nonstop? Good luck.

I wonder if you can DHC into a FoF loop from Skrull... Inferno maybe?

Anth0ny

Viscant says Morrigan/Doom/Vergil is the best team in the game.

Hard to argue against that. If Chris G can level up his Vergil to 100 like his Morrigan and Doom (and god help us if he can get Doom TAC infinite down), he'll be beyond unstoppable.

save us team nemo

shaowebb

Just got back home so I'll see about making more Mahvel scribblenauts stuff soon. Dormammu is up next. I keep thinking of making a scrubby Wesker because I can script folks to jump and shoot constantly lol.
MahvelGaf:

I have started getting back into this game, and I'd like to start messing around with Dr. Strange...However, I'd like to craft a team with him on it that also has Frank West on it.

Any ideas?

Dante is good because his hyper DHC's so well into Frank level ups its ridiculous. Anyone with long winded multihit hypers have potential to setup Frank so I'll agree with Beardo on this one pretty easily though I hate seeing everyone resort to DMC. Its just dull to watch over and over for me I guess, but to each their own. I do respect how much it takes to learn him im just not a fan of his character I guess.

We all know Viewtiful Joe seems to do well with him due to the amount of hits in his combos so he also has potential...especially since shopping cart + Voomerang can get annoying and cart + Redhot kick sets up some nice stuff.

You could probably make something happen with Chun Li if you were willing to go for it. She has long combos and her crumple could setup Strange loops as well as get Frank in to finish her plate to get his levels. She could definitely frame trap the hell out of someone with Frank in the corner. She's got a lot of fun tools and her combos are fun and unique and not really that hard. With the kind of damage her teamups would pack her main problem would be dealt with and her kicks could be good to help either of her team mates setup for stuff with their tools given its lockdown and GTFO purposes.

Those are my choices. I'd love to see you use Joe or Chun personally, but Dante is still pretty good.

Rocket works pretty well in a Frank team, but it's not like he's any easier to learn properly than the characters you mentioned :T Rocket on point means instant level 5 with the proper timing as long as you have 2 bars. With Frank on point, you get Log Trap assist (combo extender/multiple level ups, and it's log trap), and Survival Techniques->Spring Trap DHC allows you to raw tag into another photo.

So, is anyone up for some night battles btw?

So in other words, Karst after the first hit is going to have five bars stopped nonstop? Good luck.

I wonder if you can DHC into a FoF loop from Skrull... Inferno maybe?
Inferno has some pretty early recovery unless you DHC out of it early, and then it goes into hard knockdown. Skrull Torch isn't likely either. I would probably look for a way to raw tag into Dr. Strange, since Skrull can move his opponent all around the screen.

MarlinPie got a wakeup call from Curleh Mustache 5:
https://twitter.com/MarlinPie/status/272822597559930882

I might also play tonight if anyone is interested.

Top Bottom