• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT3| To infinites... and beyond!

Zissou

How long did it take you guys to get somewhat decent with Dante?(ie being able to do a BnB very consistently) 5 days playing nothing but Marvel and practicing no one but Dante has gotten me very frustrated in my ability to get consistent with him for his combos. I'll feel like I have his combo down one hour and getting it about 75% of the time, and then the next I'll only get it once out of 50 tries.

What's your full team again? If you're still doing the ultimate BnB from the srk forum, you might want to put that combo on the backburner and learn the more basic one above it first. Some people might disagree, but when I start out with a new character, I try to find a simple damn-near-undroppable BnB before I move on to learning more difficult optimized stuff. Even after you move on to better, more damaging combos, there are always times in matches where you're about to land the killing blow regardless, so why not fall back on something basic and eliminate the chance for error?

In this case, it makes even more sense to learn that more basic Dante combo first, since against smaller characters, it is difficult/impossible to connect the j.H, air play, j.H sequence after the jump cancelled volcano and you'll have to use the simpler combo anyway, even after you master the better one.

It took me a long time to get comfortable with doing magic series into stinger and properly transitioning into a combo on hit or bold canceling into reverb shock xx fireworks on block. I still fuck it up sometimes. Just keep at it man!

Yah haha, I'm not a busy person at all, just juggling games and talking to people is exhausting. We'll play next time. As for teams I want to play Chris for sure, so probably gonna stick with Chris/Dante/Zero or switch to Vanilla of Chris/Zero/Dante.
What happened to Strider?

My really bad matchup is Magneto, My Chris is just so free to him, I honestly think it's his worst matchup.
Jam Session doesn't take care of his approach?

Fuck Cable!
Fuck Cable!

They've done others but not of this pedigree.
What aside from TvC?

Onemic

What's your full team again? If you're still doing the ultimate BnB from the srk forum, you might want to put that combo on the backburner and learn the more basic one above it first. Some people might disagree, but when I start out with a new character, I try to find a simple damn-near-undroppable BnB before I move on to learning more difficult optimized stuff. Even after you move on to better, more damaging combos, there are always times in matches where you're about to land the killing blow regardless, so why not fall back on something basic and eliminate the chance for error?

In this case, it makes even more sense to learn that more basic Dante combo first, since against smaller characters, it is difficult/impossible to connect the j.H, air play, j.H sequence after the jump cancelled volcano and you'll have to use the simpler combo anyway, even after you master the better one.

It took me a long time to get comfortable with doing magic series into stinger and properly transitioning into a combo on hit or bold canceling into reverb shock xx fireworks on block. I still fuck it up sometimes. Just keep at it man!

My full team is Strider/Dante/Magneto. Strider is still day 0 because of my problems with getting Dante's BnB down consistently.

The only reason why I didn't try learning the basic one first is because its application seems extremely limited. It only works on small characters and you need to be relatively close to the corner for it to even work. There will be many times when both situations don't apply and what would you do then?

The ultimate BnB becomes problematic when doing it outside of the corner, and that's when it gets really frustrating because all the links are so much harder to get down at a consistent rate.

I'll still keep at it, but man do I sometimes want to pull my hair out practicing Dante.

Zissou

My full team is Strider/Dante/Magneto. Strider is still day 0 because of my problems with getting Dante's BnB down consistently.

The only reason why I didn't try learning the basic one first is because its application seems extremely limited. It only works on small characters and you need to be relatively close to the corner for it to even work. There will be many times when both situations don't apply and what would you do then?

The ultimate BnB becomes problematic when doing it outside of the corner, and that's when it gets really frustrating because all the links are so much harder to get down at a consistent rate.

I'll still keep at it, but man do I sometimes want to pull my hair out practicing Dante.

I think a good basic combo that works on the entire cast anywhere on screen is:

s.M, s.H, stinger, bold cancel, volcano, jump cancel up fwd, j.M, j.H, qcf.L, (back dash if you are in the corner), s.S, s.H (for clay pigeon), s.S (prop shredder), jump straight up, hammer, cold shower (df.HHH) stinger,
bold cancel into teleport (omit the teleport if you're not in the corner, just straight up jump using bold move), hammer, volcano into beehive, million dollars

Onemic

s.M, s.H, stinger, bold cancel, volcano, jump cancel up fwd, j.M, j.H, qcf.L, (back dash if you are in the corner), s.S, s.H (for clay pigeon), s.S (prop shredder), jump straight up, hammer, cold shower (df.HHH) stinger,
bold cancel into teleport (omit the teleport if you're not in the corner, just straight up jump using bold move), hammer, volcano into beehive, million dollars

That's the one in the brady games guide right? Would I still need to learn the ultimate one or am I okay with just sticking to this? I know this one does slightly more damage(672k compared to 652k for ultimate) but less meter gain(1.15 meter vs 1.3 for ultimate) I just assumed the SRK thread only having the ultimate one and not this meant that it was superior.

Infinite

Point Strider hurts my feelings. He has good resets good incoming mixups a damaging level 3 and interesting THC possibilities but you work too damn hard. It's just easier to stick him in the back and let him turn red and wreck stuff.

TWILT

Banned
How long did it take you guys to get somewhat decent with Dante?(ie being able to do a BnB very consistently) 5 days playing nothing but Marvel and practicing no one but Dante has gotten me very frustrated in my ability to get consistent with him for his combos. I'll feel like I have his combo down one hour and getting it about 75% of the time, and then the next I'll only get it once out of 50 tries.

Took me the first week of vanilla to get the basic relaunch combo down, and around 1-2 months to get bold cancelling down. Just keep at it is the only advice I can give. He was frustrating for me too at first, but it feels worth it because he's so much fun for me. I'd stick to the basic bold cancel combo (j.M, j.H, qcf.L, etc.) before doing the harder stuff.

Zissou

That's the one in the brady games guide right? Would I still need to learn the ultimate one or am I okay with just sticking to this? I know this one does slightly more damage(672k compared to 652k for ultimate) but less meter gain(1.15 meter vs 1.3 for ultimate) I just assumed the SRK thread only having the ultimate one and not this meant that it was superior.

Because the ultimate one is not universal (characters like Rocket Raccoon drop out of it) you need the other one anyway. You said you have Strider on your team, so once you get the basic solo Dante combo stuff down, it's really easy to use Strider assist to boost Dante's combo damage/meter gain.

That was the first Dante combo I learned too then I realized it was stupid as fuck because you're losing the ground bounce for nothing.

It's still useful in pressure situation since it's almost impossible to drop. If you watch the Chris G vs Yipes at Summer Jam I think he did it the 2nd match (either 1st set, or 2nd set) when he finally got a clean hit on Morrigan.

Onemic

That was the first Dante combo I learned too then I realized it was stupid as fuck because you're losing the ground bounce for nothing.

It's still useful in pressure situation since it's almost impossible to drop. If you watch the Chris G vs Yipes at Summer Jam I think he did it the 2nd match (either 1st set, or 2nd set) when he finally got a clean hit on Morrigan.

which combo would you recommend then?

which combo would you recommend then?

For a beginner?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VXt1F0J4gM

^except after the hammer I don't go cold shower. I just do beehive then back dash H, and gun shot into stinger.

[Corner] After the hammer just do beehive, back dash S, gun shot into stinger. It's better than doing the two legs at the end... but that's the simple shit imo. You can also add in the acid rain in the corner (TK it during pop shredder) if you're not using assist. I find with assist it actually does less damage... LOL yea

Chris Schmidt plays Marvel 3!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEFpdslPoVY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jot7rOc2UmY&feature=plcp

shaowebb

So we've seen Phoenix Wright getting attention from Chris G, Strange getting love across the world, Rocket Raccoon has slowly legitmized himself across the scene along with Viewtiful Joe to an extent, and for shits F Champ popped out his guilty pleasure of Ghost Rider in grand finals.

This is a good thing IMO. Year one is derp wins the day and now folks are trying to come up with tricky and unique tricks of their own. I'm betting Chun Li starts showing up more because she can work with a decent amount of cast and has great pressure and speed, and Firebrand because he has some cheap shit that gives him some really unique setups.

My top 3 picks for guys thatll be picked up and experimented with next are
MODOK
Chun Li
Firebrand

They just seem so untapped in team setups and they all have good tools and options to use. Runner up is Spiderman. He's a known quantity, but his reward factor is pretty huge since no one has tried to really tap into the DHC Glitch properties of his capture state assist for combos yet.

Dahbomb

Can't wait to see Schmidt get bodied in a tournament by Yipes again.
Fixed.

Chun Li is not going to picked at all, she has too much trouble in the current meta. She's a very good anti-rushdown character but her tools against Missiles zoning aren't too hot.

My 3 picks are MODOK, Thor and RR. Thor can muscle his way through missiles zoning and Mighty Tornado protects him from being combo broken by missiles. Plus against Vergil he does at least have XF Mighty Punish. MODOK is obvious but will struggle against Vergil. RR is definitely going to be experimented more especially for his support capabilities. I already saw Mame Spider using a Spitfire RR on his Spidey/Doom team.

I also believe Storm should be reconsidered in the meta for her assist nuking capability and her strength with Jam Session/Dante behind her.

Onemic

For a beginner?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VXt1F0J4gM

^except after the hammer I don't go cold shower. I just do beehive then back dash H, and gun shot into stinger.

[Corner] After the hammer just do beehive, back dash S, gun shot into stinger. It's better than doing the two legs at the end... but that's the simple shit imo. You can also add in the acid rain in the corner (TK it during pop shredder) if you're not using assist. I find with assist it actually does less damage... LOL yea

Chris Schmidt plays Marvel 3!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEFpdslPoVY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jot7rOc2UmY&feature=plcp

Thanks. I'll try practicing this combo then and the brady one if it becomes too hard.

Onemic

Wow Western, that combo you posted is even harder than the Ultimate one on SRK lol. I think I'll stick with the brady games guide combo for now.

Dartastic

what team do you play?
I'm getting back into the game and I'm playing nova doom Ammy. In theory I should be able to zone but maybe I just suck at it. Haggar pipe plus drones plus the dhc synergy and... Ugh. :(

I probably just need to get better in general. If I can bop Haggar it's not that bad, but until then with that fucking assist... UGH.

smurfx

get some go again
I'm getting back into the game and I'm playing nova doom Ammy. In theory I should be able to zone but maybe I just suck at it. Haggar pipe plus drones plus the dhc synergy and... Ugh. :(

I probably just need to get better in general. If I can bop Haggar it's not that bad, but until then with that fucking assist... UGH.
that reflector shield plus novas aerial shots keep haggar away. if you add in doom missiles or beam then it should be harder for haggar.

Solune

What happened to Strider?
Oops, posted late. Meant Chris/Dante/Strider or Chris/Zero/Dante.
Jam Session doesn't take care of his approach?
Jam Session is reallllly risky to throw out sometimes. Full screen obviously it doesnt make sense since Disruptor owns everything. At close range, it's just asking for a happy bday. Midscreen is the time you wanna do it, but Magneto is so fast you have to guess if he's going to jump at all, and having a mine is better for stuffing his approach. The only time I want to call Dante against Magneto is when he's trying to zone with SJ Magnetic Blasts, and it's really hard to capitalize on those punishes. I'm such a lazy player when it comes to developing actual tech outside of combos for my teams and I admit that's a weakness I have.

What aside from TvC?
Bloody Roar 3
Bloody Roar 4
Naruto: Clash of Ninja (series)
Bleach: Heat the Soul (series)
Konjiki no Gash Bell!! Go! Go! Mamono Fight!!
Zatch Bell! Mamodo Battles (published by Bandai) (GameCube) (2005)
Battle Stadium D.O.N
Fate/unlimited codes
Castlevania Judgment (co-developed and distributed by Konami) (Wii) (2008)
Kamen Rider: Climax Heroes
Kamen Rider: Dragon Knight

Wow Western, that combo you posted is even harder than the Ultimate one on SRK lol. I think I'll stick with the brady games guide combo for now.

Lol really? What's the brady games one? It's pretty much the standard BnB I see now a days. What are you having trouble with? I'm going to assume the teleport cancel since that's the most common case. You only need that for mid screen anyways. Eventually you'll learn.

mr. puppy

Banned
alright i asked for help in the Rocket Raccoon forum on SRK and got no help, so I was wondering if anybody may be able to answer a couple of questions:

First Question: I would like some help with converting on Jam Session if it connects high off the ground. Like above jump height.

Does anybody have some tricks, or general ideas, for converting really high off the ground?

Second Question: If I have Vergil, Magneto, Wolverine or whoever coming at me, What is the best button I have? Like what normal of Rocket's has the best hitbox?

Onemic

Lol really? What's the brady games one? It's pretty much the standard BnB I see now a days. What are you having trouble with? I'm going to assume the teleport cancel since that's the most common case. You only need that for mid screen anyways. Eventually you'll learn.

The very first part pretty much hahaha.

Teleport air H M H f+ H (BC) DP+M air H air QCF + M air H H S

I can't get the S to connect after the H as it always whiffs. I looked at the comments section of the vid and you have to just slightly charge or just slightly delay the qcf + M for it to connect.

The brady games one is the one Zissou posted:

s.M, s.H, stinger, bold cancel, volcano, jump cancel up fwd, j.M, j.H, qcf.L, (back dash if you are in the corner), s.S, s.H (for clay pigeon), s.S (prop shredder), jump straight up, hammer, cold shower (df.HHH) stinger, bold cancel into teleport (omit the teleport if you're not in the corner, just straight up jump using bold move), hammer, volcano into beehive, million dollars

Chris was pretty damn consistent. Yipes had his super high and super lows.

The last time they played was at seasons beating redemption yea? He won the previous seasons beatings if i remember right. I thought I remembered Chris being way more dominant in the team tourney then singles but he still held it down. Glad to see he's playing ultimate!!

Oops, posted late. Meant Chris/Dante/Strider or Chris/Zero/Dante.
I dig.

Jam Session is reallllly risky to throw out sometimes. Full screen obviously it doesnt make sense since Disruptor owns everything. At close range, it's just asking for a happy bday. Midscreen is the time you wanna do it, but Magneto is so fast you have to guess if he's going to jump at all, and having a mine is better for stuffing his approach. The only time I want to call Dante against Magneto is when he's trying to zone with SJ Magnetic Blasts, and it's really hard to capitalize on those punishes. I'm such a lazy player when it comes to developing actual tech outside of combos for my teams and I admit that's a weakness I have.
Well, against Disruptor, my thought is you're superjumping into Magnum + Jam Session, so if Magneto tries to EMD the assist, he gets bit. At close range, I think it's smart to call the assist while jumping in/away and blocking and seeing what happens. I bet you could play a rushdown style Chris with Vajra assist, too.

Bloody Roar 3
Bloody Roar 4
Naruto: Clash of Ninja (series)
Bleach: Heat the Soul (series)
Konjiki no Gash Bell!! Go! Go! Mamono Fight!!
Zatch Bell! Mamodo Battles (published by Bandai) (GameCube) (2005)
Battle Stadium D.O.N
Fate/unlimited codes
Castlevania Judgment (co-developed and distributed by Konami) (Wii) (2008)
Kamen Rider: Climax Heroes
Kamen Rider: Dragon Knight
Oh. Well, I'm glad they finally got around to making a good game, haha.

GatorBait

Man, fighting games are such a commitment. Do any of you Marvel players regularly play any other games? I find it difficult to be able to get any consistency in Marvel and still maintain a real life unless I neglect playing all other video games entirely.

Sayah

Man, fighting games are such a commitment. Do any of you Marvel players regularly play any other games? I find it difficult to be able to get any consistency in Marvel and still maintain a real life unless I neglect playing all other video games entirely.

Pretty much the only reason I play games now is fighting games and some RPG's or other solid single player games. I easily get bored of most other games.

So far this year, I have put time in towards TTT2 (previously T6), UMvC3, SSFIV and SFXTK. All I've been doing is juggling different fighters.

Nert

I've played more UMvC3 this year than anything else put together. I just fell really deep into this game, I suppose.

I occasionally take time off from it to dabble in my Steam library. I played a lot of The Binding of Isaac a couple of months ago, and I'm hoping to start up Mark of the Ninja and The Walking Dead before too long. I had fun with a Vita back in February
before it was stolen

Onemic

damn I feel so stupid playing this game. I can't do anything. I quite honestly find this game much harder to learn than Guilty Gear.

Onemic

What is catching you most?

I guess how fast paced the game is, so much shit is going on all at once it's really hard to see what you're doing and properly react to it. Some stuff I have no idea how to beat like Ghostriders jumping chain thing that hits almost full screen and he can continually do it to you over and over.

I think I need a break.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I guess how fast paced the game is, so much shit is going on all at once it's really hard to see what you're doing and properly react to it. Some stuff I have no idea how to beat like Ghostriders jumping chain thing that hits almost full screen and he can continually do it to you over and over.

I think I need a break.
How often do you use Super Jumps?

Often I find new players get into the habit of not using super jumps effectively to escape, buy time, create pressure, force opponent to change their plan, etc.

LakeEarth

Maybe start with easier characters? Ones you can get away with being one dimensional and do okay with ABC combos with teams like Spencer/Wesker/Hawkeye, or something with the Hulk/-/Sentinel shell? Strider/Dante/Magneto is kind of tough team to start out with.

I started MvC3 with a pipe-spamming Haggar.

Onemic

How often do you use Super Jumps?

Often I find new players get into the habit of not using super jumps effectively to escape, buy time, create pressure, force opponent to change their plan, etc.

Not enough.

Part of my problem might be using dante, playing with him online is even harder due to the lag.

Sayah

damn I feel so stupid playing this game. I can't do anything. I quite honestly find this game much harder to learn than Guilty Gear.

Really? I find combos quite easy in this game. In general, at the very least everyone can do l,m,h,s,l,m,h,s or aerial crossover combos if not anything else.

LakeEarth

While learning your character combos and taking advantage of team synergy is important, I think the main barrier of entry to playing MvC3 online is learning to deal with really effective "bullshit" strategies. Gamma charge spamming Hulk + Drones, zoning + hidden missiles, horizontal assist + teleport or Spencer zipline or Nova boxdash H, etc etc. It takes experience and reflection on your team's options.

Isn't that punishable?
Call disruptor to make it harder to punish.

Nert

Those are easy but do next to no real damage. The real combos are extremely hard. Then again my team is Strider/Dante/Magneto.

Strider, Dante and Magneto have really high execution requirements to play optimally. If you're struggling to get a handle on how matches flow and when to find openings, you should try playing around with simpler characters. Hulk/whoever/Sentinel is a pretty straightforward team that can be effective online. Haggar, Wesker and Captain America are some other options to consider (setups like assist call/Captain America's cartwheel/crouching light are simple while still being hard to block).

Part of the reason that I've stuck with Tron is that she can do a lot of damage with incredibly basic combos.

Sayah

Those are easy but do next to no real damage. The real combos are extremely hard. Then again my team is Strider/Dante/Magneto.

Isn't that punishable?

Here's an easy combo with dante:

l, m, h, s, m, m, h, qcf+l, qcb+l, h, qcf+l+m. At least that's how it was in Vanilla.

Magneto, they changed a lot so I don't know about him. Haven't played Strider enough to know combos.

Top Bottom