• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

Seyavesh

IIRC, he had the Unibeam coming up behind him for safety as well.

naw, he didn't. at the range he armed at if danke had called unibeam tony would've gotten divekicked and then wolv could do berserker slash h over there in time to hit spencer.

mike tried to dash over and got swiss cheese loll

Azoth

Banned
I used to see evil toaster a lot on XBL in vanilla.

He ran zero sent Dante, and I ran Dante sent Akuma, and cloud ran zero Dante Akuma; between the three of us, we shared a lot of tech and played a lot, I think.

Haven't really seem him on at all since ultimate dropped.

Dahbomb

What makes Cap/Vergil strong? Or is it just because Vergil is Vergil?
Similar concept as Unibeam... it keeps him safe while doing Charging Star and he can combo off of it. Also good for roll mix ups or if you want to play a keep away game. Plus the Vergil DHC for the guaranteed kill (random Charging Star into HCS into SS for full combo).

Sigmaah

Rapid Slash apparently makes Charging Star safe on block and leads to combos on hit.

Yep, pretty much nailed it. Played a guy at my local who uses cap/Verg/Spencer and omfg does rapid slash keep cap safe.

Vergil/Drones too strong tho!!!

I need to make my Dante/Drones just as powerful tho since Sent/Dante is better than Sent/Vergil. Vergil/Sent is better than Dante/Sent imo tho.

I'd use Zero/Dante/Sent in that order but I like sentinel second for dat escape!

Azoth

Banned
You use drones?

Just CC Hard Drive when he does Charging Star. :]

If he doesn't XF, he's getting happy birthday'd and losing Cap and Vergil.

Sigmaah

You use drones?

Just CC Hard Drive when he does Charging Star. :]

If he doesn't XF, he's getting happy birthday'd and losing Cap and Vergil.

When I played him I wasn't using drones at the time. Was using my Zero/Akuma/Vergil team. Made the switch to drones not too long ago and I'm loving it so far. Zero/Vergil with drones is so damn fun and good!

Azoth

Banned
I don't like the idea of Missiles for Cap. Def not over something like unibeam or rapid slash or daggers, etc etc.

And yeah, drones is gdlk. And CC Hard Drive is gdlk. Was just playing someone today, locking me down with XF3 Vergil Swords into Round Trip into Teleport, just CC'd the teleport xx Hard Drive XFC jL sLMS done. People don't respect it.

It bugs me that you can't Crossover Counter during hitstop, though. Some situations are easy to CC out of, but some are just a pain in the ass, like Zero mauling you with multi hit normals.

smurfx

get some go again
omg i never realized how crazy killer illumination was. insane range and does 392k mashed out and modok can self otg and combo afterwards. this wouldn't bother me if he didn't almost do as much damage as haggars level 3 and haggar can't self otg after. wish haggars level 3 was a level 1 hyper. :(

Sigmaah

omg i never realized how crazy killer illumination was. insane range and does 392k mashed out and modok can self otg and combo afterwards. this wouldn't bother me if he didn't almost do as much damage as haggars level 3 and haggar can't self otg after. wish haggars level 3 was a level 1 hyper. :(

Modok deserves that though imo. And no way in hell i'd want Haggars level 3 to be level 1 unless that shit was shortened in length time and didn't do as much damage obviously. Then yeah make it a level 1 lol.

smurfx

get some go again
Modok deserves that though imo. And no way in hell i'd want Haggars level 3 to be level 1 unless that shit was shortened in length time and didn't do as much damage obviously. Then yeah make it a level 1 lol.
yeah it wouldn't be 450k but i think 250-300k would be fair and the animation could just be the spinning pile driver. lets stop any further discussions since nobody wants to read anymore theory patch talk.

yeah it wouldn't be 450k but i think 250-300k would be fair and the animation could just be the spinning pile driver. lets stop any further discussions since nobody wants to read anymore theory patch talk.
Haha. End discussions now to avoid depression.

Also, Killer Illumination can be jumped out of. Or were you sitting there spinning around like a fucking idiot? Fuck Haggar.

I fought someone earlier using your exact team and they weren't nearly as good with Haggar and I still got wrecked. At least my modok was putting in work.

smurfx

get some go again
Haha. End discussions now to avoid depression.

Also, Killer Illumination can be jumped out of. Or were you sitting there spinning around like a fucking idiot? Fuck Haggar.

I fought someone earlier using your exact team and they weren't nearly as good with Haggar and I still got wrecked. At least my modok was putting in work.
somebody stealing my team? what was his name? i must hunt him down now.

Azoth

Banned

The difference is, Haggar's L3 is 0Frame post flash, and KI is 1Frame post flash. You can jump out of KI or Hyper on reaction, so there's a lot fewer situations in which it's a sure thing.

But yes, it does have full startup invul etc, and if it grabs you you're going to die. I don't know about anyone else, but I actually find it very hard to fully mash it out; but that doesn't really matter, because a self OTG into full modok combo is gonna kill you even if you don't mash it at all, etc(which is something you should consider not doing if you'll kill with the followup combo before the next hyper, so you get the most meter build out of it, etc. It's the little things.)

But, then again... the fact that it's a L1 means you can DHC out of it, unlike Haggar L3, so you can just throw it out on wake-up to keep them cautious and DHC into a safe hyper. It's definitely pretty nifty. Makes up for his other hypers being junk in the neutral.

And you play Modok, Mango? On XBL? We should throw down some time, compare science notes.

So, guys, even thought UMVC3 Online is bad, there are still legit players on it, so I made a video showing off some of the players that have interesting teams and show off their cool combos and everything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPXt1iqhi7M

Note: This took hours and hours going through player lobbies and finding players that are good and not fighting against scrubs or lagging players and shit, my god you cannot think how many players I find and see OMG awesome and its the laggiest match I will ever seen till the next match happens

So, guys, even thought UMVC3 Online is bad, there are still legit players on it, so I made a video showing off some of the players that have interesting teams and show off their cool combos and everything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPXt1iqhi7M

Note: This took hours and hours going through player lobbies and finding players that are good and not fighting against scrubs or lagging players and shit, my god you cannot think how many players I find and see OMG awesome and its the laggiest match I will ever seen till the next match happens

I always like seeing people with unique teams.

I was playing some casuals with a group the other day and this guy was steamrolling me with Thor/Strange/Doom. I've never been command grabbed so many times.

Ghazi

Well it definitely showed. Dude had some really sick shit.

I forgot how long you just float if you dhc out of Mighty Tornado. Are there any other supers that leave you in a state like that?

My friend who mains Thor knows how much that pisses me off and loves fucking with me and doing that.

lol.

Azoth

Banned
Modok's Hyper Psionic Blaster does that as well, if you DHC before the last hit. Makes for great SJ -> L Blaster xx HPB xx XF or DHC confirms, and even combos into HSF if you do it on the ground and it hits them while they're at jump height or so; if it's a happy birthday, I do HPB xx HSF xx Million Dollars and XFC after he shoots a bullet, just to be safe, though.

Definitely all for people picking out videos of favorite players they're seen, online OR offline, etc, but I wouldn't call the players in that video high level. :[ A lot of random poor button choices from their opponents just because they're are playing vergil/wesker, and a lot of sloppy neutral and unoptimal combos. But it's always good to see new faces try out some new stuff.

Modok's Hyper Psionic Blaster does that as well, if you DHC before the last hit. Makes for great SJ -> L Blaster xx HPB xx XF or DHC confirms, and even combos into HSF if you do it on the ground and it hits them while they're at jump height or so; if it's a happy birthday, I do HPB xx HSF xx Million Dollars and XFC after he shoots a bullet, just to be safe, though.

Definitely all for people picking out videos of favorite players they're seen, online OR offline, etc, but I wouldn't call the players in that video high level. :[ A lot of random poor button choices from their opponents just because they're are playing vergil/wesker, and a lot of sloppy neutral and unoptimal combos. But it's always good to see new faces try out some new stuff.

What is your Modok team? Modok/Sentinel/Dante? I mess around a lot with Modok but have only found one team that I feel comfortable with. Modok/Dante/Strider.

TheAnvil

Neo Member
Lol I was playing a guy on Xbox earlier. I annihilated him (he was pretty cheap with Doom and Chris) with my Frank and Haggar and he quit on me twice just before the final blow and sent me a message asking me if I was salty.

Pretty funny. His name was "Hate Pad Scrubs".

Azure J

Woah, I disappear from the GAF Marvel crew for a bit and ProzacStylings joins our roster? Cool shit, your videos were some of the bigger influences on how my Dante combo optimization developed. :)

I always like seeing people with unique teams.

I was playing some casuals with a group the other day and this guy was steamrolling me with Thor/Strange/Doom. I've never been command grabbed so many times.

Here is another video with some more online players, some of them with even more unique teams I do say man: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4a_7T8HAFI

Also I did found a player name TA Wero, with himself using Viewiful Joe/Rocket Raccoon/Morrigan, very good player, and I also found out he is going to Curleh Mustache South and he is from the Mexico(So he is on team Mexico)

I have him playing a BUNCH of matches against two Cosmic Lord, going to upload that soon, but the question is should I upload the matches that he got Zero'd out at all?

Azoth

Banned
What is your Modok team? Modok/Sentinel/Dante? I mess around a lot with Modok but have only found one team that I feel comfortable with. Modok/Dante/Strider.

Yeah, Modok/Sent/Dante. I think it has a lot of really great synergy, but it's main problem is just not having any S Tier characters, IMO. It does a lot of things well but doesn't have the broken level of good. I really need to bite the bullet and just learn doom/vergil or something, sigh.

Woah, I disappear from the GAF Marvel crew for a bit and ProzacStylings joins our roster? Cool shit, your videos were some of the bigger influences on how my Dante combo optimization developed. :)

Awesome. :] Always good to know it made a difference for something, contributing to the marvel masses is it's own reward. Sorry I never got around to High Impact Dante, lol. At least, not yet.

Here is another video with some more online players, some of them with even more unique teams I do say man: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4a_7T8HAFI

Also I did found a player name TA Wero, with himself using Viewiful Joe/Rocket Raccoon/Morrigan, very good player, and I also found out he is going to Curleh Mustache South and he is from the Mexico(So he is on team Mexico)

I have him playing a BUNCH of matches against two Cosmic Lord, going to upload that soon, but the question is should I upload the matches that he got Zero'd out at all?
I really enjoy watching stuff like this since I play a bunch of goofy ass teams. It always gives me some more ideas for other teams.
Yeah, Modok/Sent/Dante. I think it has a lot of really great synergy, but it's main problem is just not having any S Tier characters, IMO. It does a lot of things well but doesn't have the broken level of good. I really need to bite the bullet and just learn doom/vergil or something, sigh.

Ehh....sometimes you just have to. I always play the teams I love, but I have that backup/cheap team for when I absolutely need to get shit done. Zero/Vergil/Dante and Zero/Vergil/Strider were the teams I learned. You just can't go wrong with Zero and Vergil. Two borderline broken characters that take minimal effort to win with.

FSLink

Banned
GGs to smurfx. I feel like I was playing the matchup properly with my teams, though I did lose often due to dropping a combo. Some of it was Capcom netcode wonders, others were just me choking, lol. Always fun to play ya.

smurfx

get some go again
GGs to smurfx. I feel like I was playing the matchup properly with my teams, though I did lose often due to dropping a combo. Some of it was Capcom netcode wonders, others were just me choking, lol. Always fun to play ya.
yeah ggs and i noticed some of those drops.

Azure J

Awesome. :] Always good to know it made a difference for something, contributing to the marvel masses is it's own reward. Sorry I never got around to High Impact Dante, lol. At least, not yet.

Yeah. FWIW, I'm that dude TranscendentAzure on Youtube that was making stuff for a bit. It was the High Impact Dante teaser that made me explore the idea of how much damage he could get going and your XF3 video coupled with some stuff from GAFbros that made me look into the properties of different things in that mode.

Hey Frantic, are you willing to do next week's FGW spotlight?

Dis gun b gud

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Me? Uh... sure, why the hell not. Haven't really been around much, and didn't even know Karst suggested me, haha.

Just gotta PM you the answers before the end of the week, yeah?
Yup! Which would be in about two days haha

It kind of slipped my mind earlier (been busy with school all week). Hope that's enough time!

NEO0MJ

Been out of the loop for a long time but I was wondering, what's the main problem with Sentinel in this game? And who are some good partners for him?

Been out of the loop for a long time but I was wondering, what's the main problem with Sentinel in this game? And who are some good partners for him?
He's gigantic so he's an easy target. He has low health. It can be kind of difficult to open people up.

Doom is great for him (much like he is for everyone) with any assist.

Dante is good

Ammy is good

Iron Man is good

Rocket Raccoon is good.

Strange is good

There's definitely more, but those are my favorite ones

Azoth

Banned
Dante is def the best "for Sentinel", specifically. THC confirms off of spit, lethal or near lethal damage to assists just from raw THC XF, dirty flight mixups on incoming, flyover mixups in neutral, confirms off of sM xx fly, cM xx fly, lockdown strings, etc.

Doom's a better character than Dante all around, though, naturally. And Anchor Doom is a lot easier to learn than Anchor Dante.

Sentinel's biggest problems are,

1) Huge hurtbox. Makes is easy to hit him and easy to throw him.
2) Limited mixups. Only true solo mixups are throw/low and fuzzyguard overhead/low; fuzzies work on very few characters or only in XF, and his low is techhnically reactable if your opponent is very good.
3) Limited combos off throws. Requires meter for actual combos, midscreen ground throw combos are execution-intensive, high air throw combos non existent, etc.

In a word, he doesn't have any good nonsense to put the opponent through, and it's harder for him to escape their nonsense. If he didn't have his assist and Hard Drive, he'd be low tier. But he does, so he lives to stomp again in mid tier, etc.

Top Bottom