• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

Good idea, I'll need to try that. It makes me sad when I feel like I'm styling with him only to teleport on the wrong side of the screen and look like a fool.
I feel like I should clarify it just a little bit more. After you so a j.S or hammer or whatever may have been your knockdown, don't be too close to the body during Cold Shower (I think that's what it's called). Some big bodies you can be as close as you want, but others will mess up your teleport. A really easy fix for this is to do the absolute minimum amount of shots during Cold Shower (like just double tap H while holding df, don't keep pressing it) and go straight into Stinger. This is what I do against Joe, or Rocket Raccoon, or other smaller characters if I don't feel like worrying about the proper amount of spacing.

If you're messing up on the bold cancel after shot loops....I sadly have no advice for that.

Again, I'm no Dante authority though.
anytime is good with me, i'm located in NY.

Ahhh NY, that's probably why our connection was ass before. I'm in SoCal, though I have had solid connections with people from New York before. If only this game didn't have complete dogshit for netcode. I can easily play Blazblue and some other fighting games with east coast players, no problem at all.

Anyway, I'm supposed to go in to work early in about an hour and a half, but if I don't then I'll drop a post and let you know.

Azoth

Banned
Question for Dante users.

Sometimes when I bold cancel teleport I end up on the same side while my opponent is getting wall bounced on the other side. Any idea why this happens? If it's a timing thing then I don't get it.

This happens when the air trick comes out as a crossup air trick. Instead of teleporting "behind them", you teleport on the other side because you technically crossed under them with the stinger for a small moment.

There are two general ways to avoid this.

1.) Learn to do Cold Shower(Two Hits) -> Stinger instead of Cold Shower(Three Hits) -> Stinger, by not mashing the buttons. This keeps the opponent lower, and prevents you from crossing under them.

2.) Step back before the cold shower. This is easy if you're doing it after Prop Shredder -> Hammer, and you'll see Dickwin do it most of the time.

To be safe, you could just do both. :]

edit: ninja'd by Mango, quality information there friend. :]
I'd like to think I'm something of a Dante information authority, or at least source of know-how, and that's definitely the why and how of how it happens and how to fix it.

This happens when the air trick comes out as a crossup air trick. Instead of teleporting "behind them", you teleport on the other side because you technically crossed under them with the stinger for a small moment.

There are two general ways to avoid this.

1.) Learn to do Cold Shower(Two Hits) -> Stinger instead of Cold Shower(Three Hits) -> Stinger, by not mashing the buttons. This keeps the opponent lower, and prevents you from crossing under them.

2.) Step back before the cold shower. This is easy if you're doing it after Prop Shredder -> Hammer, and you'll see Dickwin do it most of the time.

To be safe, you could just do both. :]

edit: ninja'd by Mango, quality information there friend. :]
I'd like to think I'm something of a Dante information authority, or at least source of know-how, and that's definitely the why and how of how it happens and how to fix it.

Ha, I'm just glad someone else said it as well. Makes me feel like I'm not just talking out my ass.

JohnPauliuk

Neo Member
Hey, I'm in a tourney tomorrow and I'm a bit nervous. Any advise to how to prepare myself for tomorrow or to make sure I don't buckle under stress?

Hey, I'm in a tourney tomorrow and I'm a bit nervous. Any advise to how to prepare myself for tomorrow or to make sure I don't buckle under stress?
Personally, I went in with a small personal goal. I just wanted to win one set.

I also don't take it too seriously. Fact: you aren't winning the tournament. Go in looking to have a good time. I laughed a lot during my losses and then went to do other fun things.

Solune

Practice your bread and butter with each of your character 10 - 100 times.
Just practice any type of tech with your team.

Anti-Bionic Arm stuff
Anti-Zero stuff
Anti-Magneto stuff
Anti-Doom stuff
Anti-Morrigan stuff.

Respect Hyper Armor YOU WILL GET BLOWN UP BY IT if you don't.

Good Luck.

Mr Goldenmyer

Neo Member
Which order do you guys this is most efficient with a team like Spiderman/Frank/Deadpool? I have a tendency to constantly switch between Spiderman and Frank depending on the match up but I personally prefer Spiderman on point since I consider my team to be a Frank West focused team more than a Spiderman team. But I feel with Frank on point I have more options again incoming characters since I have the guard crush tech with snapshot and Ultimate Web Throw.

Which order do you guys this is most efficient with a team like Spiderman/Frank/Deadpool? I have a tendency to constantly switch between Spiderman and Frank depending on the match up but I personally prefer Spiderman on point since I consider my team to be a Frank West focused team more than a Spiderman team. But I feel with Frank on point I have more options again incoming characters since I have the guard crush tech with snapshot and Ultimate Web Throw.
Honestly, that's just a bad team. If you insist on playing it, Spider-man/Frank/Deadpool is probably the best order. How are you leveling Frank up?

Mr Goldenmyer

Neo Member
I've come to terms with how bad my team is but I love to play it. If I've stuck with it this long I might as well optimize it. Landing FFC and UWT is just too satisfying to me.

With Spiderman start I can DHC Maximum Spider into Frank and level up. Or I can combo into web throw, raw tag level up. Depending on meter, team super, level up instead. I'm able to get decent levels with my team even without the use of team super.

Nova/Frank would be better, probably.
I'm not too good with flight characters so I never gave Nova a serious try. I've been contemplating a more viable team though, I was thinking Wesker/Doom/Vergil. If I'm learning a flight character I might as well learn Doom.

I'm not too good with flight characters so I never gave Nova a serious try. I've been contemplating a more viable team though, I was thinking Wesker/Doom/Vergil. If I'm learning a flight character I might as well learn Doom.

You only really have to fly with Nova a fraction of the time you'd ever have to fly with the rest of the cast. His airdash is more important.
U still wanna play?
Not at the moment, I'm thinking about what I want for dinner lol

You only really have to fly with Nova a fraction of the time you'd ever have to fly with the rest of the cast. His airdash is more important.

Not at the moment, I'm thinking about what I want for dinner lol

Alright just drop an invite if u change your mind.

If anyone wants to play just drop an invite. I'm feeling like playing an all nighter

Azoth

Banned
Honestly, that's just a bad team. If you insist on playing it, Spider-man/Frank/Deadpool is probably the best order. How are you leveling Frank up?

It's not a terrible team.

Deadpool is very under-rated, and Spiderman is actually one of the best people at levelling Frank up, AND makes very good use of shopping cart because he can turn any of his footsies jH/S pokes into a lockdown and mixup string.

He can level Frank via DHC from Max Spider, Spider Sting rawtag combos(probably the best, with assists to extend into a frank combo or double picture), or web throw raw tags.

I might even suggest Spiderman/Deadpool/Frank, as deadpool can level Frank via Cutting Time, IIRC, and also makes reasonably good use of cart; whereas Frank doesn't really make good use of any deadpool assists. I'd consider using Quick Work for hard-to-blockables with spiderman.

Either way, Frank is a liability on any team, and if you end up with L1 Frank on point you're going to have a hard time. You should almost never use L1 Frank on point, as you said you like to do sometimes, as any high level player will make it very hard for you to land a hit with him.

It's not a terrible team.

Deadpool is very under-rated, and Spiderman is actually one of the best people at levelling Frank up, AND makes very good use of shopping cart because he can turn any of his footsies jH/S pokes into a lockdown and mixup string.

He can level Frank via DHC from Max Spider, Spider Sting rawtag combos(probably the best, with assists to extend into a frank combo or double picture), or web throw raw tags.

I might even suggest Spiderman/Deadpool/Frank, as deadpool can level Frank via Cutting Time, IIRC, and also makes reasonably good use of cart; whereas Frank doesn't really make good use of any deadpool assists. I'd consider using Quick Work for hard-to-blockables with spiderman.

Either way, Frank is a liability on any team, and if you end up with L1 Frank on point you're going to have a hard time. You should almost never use L1 Frank on point, as you said you like to do sometimes, as any high level player will make it very hard for you to land a hit with him.
The characters are fine, but the synergy is mediocre. Replace Deadpool with Dante and you just made the team twice as good. Frank West has no real support on the team once you get him. He should be a team killer if he gets those levels, and this team doesn't make that a reality.

Deadpool/Frank/Strider could be fun.

I just dont like Frank flying solo out there as the second character. I don't think that is good team design.

I've come to terms with how bad my team is but I love to play it. If I've stuck with it this long I might as well optimize it. Landing FFC and UWT is just too satisfying to me.

With Spiderman start I can DHC Maximum Spider into Frank and level up. Or I can combo into web throw, raw tag level up. Depending on meter, team super, level up instead. I'm able to get decent levels with my team even without the use of team super.

If you like your team and wanna stick with it, then go for it. It's not a completely horrible team, but Frank is a huge gamble since he's your primary assist. If you lose Frank, you're in deep shit.

In a way it's similar to my Spidey team. Spidey/Shuma/Dante. If I lose Shuma too early, I'm likely fucked. Yeah Dante is good, but it's still a rough road.

GGs Beef. I should just pre-emptively state that before anyone wants to play, I may leave on short notice in order to avoid my puppy having an accident in the house.

I need to use the cr. L M f.H xx arrows block string more with taskmaster, and just generally stop doing stupid shit like super jump swing down arrows lol

CarJeter

Neo Member
I am loving the fact that Jwong keeps representing Storm, but I do wonder why everyone refuses to BLOCK Storm's low lol. Is it the pressure? I mean, I know she is fast but everytime he is down to Storm/Akuma it seems that 85% of his low-attemps actually work

I am loving the fact that Jwong keeps representing Storm, but I do wonder why everyone refuses to BLOCK Storm's low lol. Is it the pressure? I mean, I know she is fast but everytime he is down to Storm/Akuma it seems that 85% of his low-attemps actually work

Cause she has a really fast instant overhead? Maybe people are always worried about that. I've started to find more success going low as well.

Dahbomb

She has a really fast overhead that people are always looking for.

Also after the lockdown they may be holding up back and the low catches them.

JohnPauliuk

Neo Member
I was wondering what you guys thought Ryu's strengths were in this game? I plan on trying to flush out some of them in my gameplay more.

FSLink

Banned
He has good fuzzy setups with the right assist, Shinkuu Hadoken is awesome at sniping assists, and a decent overhead.

Also SF1 Ryu is one of the best alts.

Did pretty well in casuals today, feeling my Zero May Cry level up now that Dante isn't completely free.

Speaking of Dante, starting to be able to get these down:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdVks1AuKOk

So much fun to do.

Azure J

Question for Dante users.

Sometimes when I bold cancel teleport I end up on the same side while my opponent is getting wall bounced on the other side. Any idea why this happens? If it's a timing thing then I don't get it.

Probably terribly late, but it's a glitch that's triggered because of how the game reads the collision of Stinger's hitbox and certain characters' hurtboxes. The best remedy I've come up with was to do a quick back dash before doing Cold Shower xx Stinger. (Check this video out @ 3:28 in.) In the case of going from Clay Pigeon (up shots) to Stinger, I don't think it's ever happened but I'll look into it for you if you want.

I was wondering what you guys thought Ryu's strengths were in this game? I plan on trying to flush out some of them in my gameplay more.
Best meterless invincible attack in the game.
The only beam hyper that isn't punishable on block/crouchable.
Standing overhead.
Superb DHC options.

Those strike me as his four real strengths.

Dahbomb

Doesn't he kind of stagger his L's a lot too to catch push blocks?
Yeah... he does this both to catch push blocks and catch up backers. Does it with Wolverine too.

*Best full screen beam in the game. Can be aimed in various directions and can be used from the air as well while being safe. Easily his biggest threat to even top tiers.

*Decent normals at close/mid range. Standing jab decent anti air, cr.M good poke, st.S solid anti air (safe launcher), good cr.L.

*Tatsu assist is decent. It's no Akuma Tatsu but as a lockdown and combo extender it is more than serviceable.

*Great DHC options. Can come with his beam or his power up hyper. He can also use his Tatsu hyper to DHC out as it is invincible.

*His DP+S has insane invincibility and will beat everything in the game. You don't get much off it unfortunately.

*Air L Tatsu cross up still catches people off guard.

That said everything else about him is mediocre/average or below average. His ground mobility is average, his damage is average, his zoning game is below average, his air mobility is below average, his mix up game is mediocre, his throw game is below average, his pressure is below average, he has limited TAC follow ups etc. A definitive Low Mid character in the game.

paolo11

Ok, I'm a scrub and not comfortable to use the joystick. Questions:

a) Is Wolverine/Doom/Sentinel an easy team to use?

b) Any tips to use these characters?

c) Any easy yet damaging bnb for each of these characters?

I played Vanilla MVC before but I'm a bit scrubby.

Lemstar

Ok, I'm a scrub and not comfortable to use the joystick. Questions:

a) Is Wolverine/Doom/Sentinel an easy team to use?

b) Any tips to use these characters?

c) Any easy yet damaging bnb for each of these characters?

I played Vanilla MVC before but I'm a bit scrubby.
I saw your thread on gfaqs about this - catkiller904's advice is good. Doom's midscreen BnB is kind of tough to get used to, but Wolverine and Sentinel's basic stuff should be reasonably easy once you're comfortable with your controller.

I'm not going to profess to be an expert at the game, but Wolverine's basic gameplan is really simple - get close enough to do something silly. Using a horizontal assist (Plasma Beam is good for this) to cover Berserker Slash is a good way to close distance.

The other two characters you're thinking about might take some more effort. Sentinel's gigantic frame makes him vulnerable to stuff that doesn't work on other characters, and his HP is extremely low, so you'd want to keep people at a bit of a distance. Armored normals (st.M, cr.M, and S), j.M, and point projectiles (st.H, cr.H, qcb+x) can do that. If you can push them into the corner, being able to get big damage off a throw/command grab makes him a lot more dangerous.

I don't know enough about Doom, but lots of people here play him.

FSLink

Banned
Thanks for all the ideas. Should I use a meter building assist for Shinkus or do I use an assist to flush out Ryu's Shoryus?

I really feel Akuma's tatsus is the best for Ryu, due to the fuzzy setups. I don't think he has good synergy with any of the meter build assists, but that's just me.

Azoth

Banned
Pope select has been around for a little while, I use it with Modok sometimes(OS Ground Throw or Grounded Airdash UF -> Air Throw or Grounded Airdash UF -> AD D/B).

Vergil just doesn't have to plink because he's vergil, lel.

Dahbomb

This is old.

The only thing special about this is that Vergil doesn't need to plink to dash like that because of his Stinger kara cancel (much like Ghost Rider and his back dash). And that has been known since week 1 of UMVC3.

A character like Wolverine can do that same option select... same for Magneto (although he won't get a Helm Breaker/Dive Kick... he would just get j.H which is still a fine move). Wolverine even has the same mix ups with Berserker Charge like Vergil has with DT in that video.

This is pretty much why we had asked for the d/f or d/b+H throw option select be removed from the game... because it leads to dumb shit like that. But this has been going on for quite a while so it's whatever at this point. Pretty much a very standard opener for Wolverine combined with st.L into Berserker Slash + assist or st.b+H into Berserker Slash + assist.

Yipes and FChamp break down the best shells in Marvel 3

29_umvc3shelltiersfull.jpg

Zissou

Seems like they didn't come up with a good definition of shell before making that list. It can be "best self-sufficient duo" or it can be "best two characters to support a third character" but the two aren't the same.

Top Bottom