• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

Faster shotgun is nice, but not really a priority in my opinion
The move isn't even really used right now. I think it needs a little help.

I still support the f+H overhead
Dahbomb and I both do, we just need to negotiate terms. Not sure about Zissou and Frantic.

Why have it stagger? To use as a poke?
It's just weird that it's called "Stun Rod" but it doesn't stun. :p

Double jump on Chris is silly. I'll pass on that.
Why so?

Falling faster would definitely be nice, but the idea of him being so safe seems wrong considering you're in the air most of the time as Chris.
He's still going to have problems with teleporters.

j.S hitbox increase....sure
K.

Not being completely defenseless after j. d+H (gunshot) would be very very very nice. I hate that you're just freefalling after you do it. If that shot could otg as well that would be incredible.
Can you explain this more?

Being able to call assists during flamethrower would be a huge improvement.
I'm concerned that this would be too good with the Flamethrower buff. Stuff like Flamethrower + Jam Session would be ridiculously hard for characters to get through.

I still say invincibility during Sweep Combination (until the stun rod is put away) should happen.
I'm willing to talk about this.

God this took a long time to type on my phone.
I know that feeling!

Online now if anyone wants to play for a bit
Where were you hours ago?! :p

Reposting for the new page:

I went through and thought about what needs to change, and I'm trying to bridge the gap with some of our "point oriented" characters still. That's a big dent in our balance, in my opinion. No one will pick Spider-man when he has a bad assist now that so many other characters have good ones. I think I have some interesting ideas, and I want to know what you all think.

Here are some suggestions for Chris:
-reduce his shotgun startup
-f.H overhead; I think this needs to happen
-f.H staggers
-double jump
-aerial gunshots now cause Chris to fall faster (recoil, makes his aerial game safer)
-j.S hitbox increased

Captain America:
-shield slash (ground) is now dash-cancelable on hit or block
-stars and stripes can now cancel into shield slash on block or hit (combos)
-shield slash M removed as an assist; replaced with stars and stripes
-shield slash L (assist) hits on the way back even when Captain America gets hit
-Charging Star H now causes Rapid Slash-like pushback on block

Firebrand:
-Chaos Tide now persists on tagout; the helper remains on screen hovering over the opponent when Firebrand is tagged out; the helper will swipe whenever Firebrand is called as an assist

Haggar:
-c.H (assist) is fully invincible as a crossover counter until its recovery frames begin (100% safe and invincible crossover counter)
-c.H now links into Rapid Fire Fist (solo conversions off of throws)
-Giant Haggar Press is now projectile invincible

Jill:
-new assist: machine gun volley; she jumps out onto the screen and fires one small spray of 1 durability bullets that cover the screen. It would basically be a photon shot, but the startup would be larger since she has to jump into the air first, and then she would land near the opponent like with her hyper. It wouldn't require a new animation, and now she would have an interesting assist option.

Nemesis suggestions (not all of these, just ideas):
-passive super armor on ground dashes
-deadly reach moves now absorb enemy health
-deadly reach moves now negate projectiles
-c.H travel time increased significantly
-backwards ground dash is now startup invincible (back dash into command grab like BlazBlue's Tager)
-aerial normals all have their startup reduced by 2 frames
-tracking rocket assist (I don't know why we didn't talk about this before; he has the animation for a tracking rocket shot from his hyper)

Phoenix Wright suggestions (all toward making non-turnabout Wright more fearsome):
-reduce discard (investigation) startup; increase projectile durability to 8
-reduce investigate startup
-improve his various present evidence (trial and turnabout) pieces so they are all useful

Shuma-Gorath:
-Hyper Mystic Smash assist - he throws one clone that ignores projectiles (like Frank's Hammer Throw H)

Spider-man:
-Web Ball H (assist) now auto-aims at opponents; captured aerial enemies fall to the ground (now he has a good assist)
-Web Swing (assist) now causes a soft knockdown

Thor:
-air dash range increased (better command throw ability)

Tron Bonne:
-bandit boulder is now cancelable somehow (give her better approach options)
-minimum air dash height removed

Hulk:
-aerial gamma charge, or maybe he creates a hitbox when he lands from a big "thud"!

She-Hulk:
-lamppost attack negates projectiles (helps her get in and buffs an assist option)

Strider:
-formation A1 can no longer be negated by normal attacks

X-23:
-rage trigger assist; only the first series of slashes
-an assist where X-23 runs forward, ignoring projectiles, and hits an enemy into a crumple state (uses Weapon X Prime animation)

Dahbomb

Here are some suggestions for Chris:
-reduce his shotgun startup
-f.H overhead; I think this needs to happen
-f.H staggers
-double jump
-aerial gunshots now cause Chris to fall faster (recoil, makes his aerial game safer)
-j.S hitbox increased
I already gave my suggestions for f.H overhead. Either make it a charged move or make it so that b.H is the same as f.H but slower and an overhead. I think having that move as a poking tool is great and at 20+ frames start up you lose that. No need for it to stagger as long as he can special cancel it or chain it into a launcher like Ryu.

This change plus j.S hit box and MAYBE reduced shotgun start up. The aerial gun shot change while a buff would change a lot of stuff like combos and general zoning. Sometimes its better that he is floating in the air.

No on double jump because then you would have to give Hawkeye a double jump too. It's not needed really.

Captain America:
-shield slash (ground) is now dash-cancelable on hit or block
-stars and stripes can now cancel into shield slash on block or hit (combos)
-shield slash M removed as an assist; replaced with stars and stripes
-shield slash L (assist) hits on the way back even when Captain America gets hit
-Charging Star H now causes Rapid Slash-like pushback on block
Stars and Stripes being cancelable into Shield Slash on block might make it a safe on block DP. It's not THAT good in this game but it would still be a bit too derpy. I think S&S cancelable into Shield Slash on hit is good enough.

Ground Shield Slash change is interesting although the changes we have for Cap would not require.

For the assist changes, what is actually happening is that we are just replacing Shield Slash M with L version.

This is mostly an OK for me on Cap just needs some tweaking like on S&S.

I also really liked God's Beard suggestion on Charging Star that you are allowed to call assist during its start up and some of its active frames. The reason being is simple, it's so that Cap players aren't forced to use Task arrows or Unibeam as an assist for his back up just so he gets something out of his Charging Star. This would open his team synergy a lot.

Haggar:
-c.H (assist) is fully invincible as a crossover counter until its recovery frames begin (100% safe and invincible crossover counter)
-c.H now links into Rapid Fire Fist (solo conversions off of throws)
-Giant Haggar Press is now projectile invincible
Why not just make cr.H hyper cancelable?

Other than that these changes are fine.

Spider-man:
-Web Ball H (assist) now auto-aims at opponents; captured aerial enemies fall to the ground (now he has a good assist)
-Web Swing (assist) now causes a soft knockdown
The first is an animation change because there is no animation of him throwing his Web Ball straight up. I don't like this to be honest. Web Swing assist change is fine.

Hulk:
-aerial gamma charge, or maybe he creates a hitbox when he lands from a big "thud"!
As long as he only get one gamma charge command in the air I am fine with it.

X-23:
-rage trigger assist; only the first series of slashes
-an assist where X-23 runs forward, ignoring projectiles, and hits an enemy into a crumple state (uses Weapon X Prime animation)

Jill:
-new assist: machine gun volley; she jumps out onto the screen and fires one small spray of 1 durability bullets that cover the screen. It would basically be a photon shot, but the startup would be larger since she has to jump into the air first, and then she would land near the opponent like with her hyper. It wouldn't require a new animation, and now she would have an interesting assist option.

Shuma-Gorath:
-Hyper Mystic Smash assist - he throws one clone that ignores projectiles (like Frank's Hammer Throw H)

Firebrand:
-Chaos Tide now persists on tagout; the helper remains on screen hovering over the opponent when Firebrand is tagged out; the helper will swipe whenever Firebrand is called as an assist

I grouped all of these because they all have the same or similar issues. These are brand new assists that would require tweaked animations and I am not comfortable with that. This would open up a new can of works. Like now Wolverine should have a Fatal Claw assist where he comes up and does Tornado Claw into a giant X (it uses the Fatal Claw animation without the hyper stuff).

Tron Bonne:
-bandit boulder is now cancelable somehow (give her better approach options)
-minimum air dash height removed
No way to minimum air dash height removed that would be too good. It should be lowered but not removed, that is near game breaking .She would basically have instant overheads with it.

Bandit Boulder being cancelable into Bonne Strike would be nice.

I'm not gonna cover all your points Karst, as I'm still on a phone, but I will try when I get home.

Shotgun has its uses, especially against heavies, and if you wanna blow up fire grenades quickly you can do that. Still more useful than Grenade Toss M

What I meant about the jumping gunshot, the regular one, is that you're prone after you shoot it. You're just falling. Can't block or anything. So it's always better to cancel your shot into a special....at least then you're defending yourself while falling and you might have a chance to block

GGs last night beef. It was getting too late for me to keep playing on a work night, but it was a damn fun set.
Seriously though, fucking Ryu always bodies me

Dahbomb

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";87276202]wat[/QUOTE]
Reason cited was that Chris has no air mobility but neither does Hawkeye so you would have to give him a double jump for parity.

Reason cited was that Chris has no air mobility but neither does Hawkeye so you would have to give him a double jump for parity.

But Hawkeye doesn't need a double jump for anything other than incoming. Chris likes to be in the air more than Hawkeye.

Now, shortening Hawkeye's jump frames would be nice :)

Dahbomb

I honestly like the change on his jump simple gun shots more and make him less vulnerable after that. Seems like a much more better change than adding a generic double jump.

onionfrog

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";87336838]Stop playing Marvel, Beef! You're getting too attached to your PS3![/QUOTE]
Dat jealousy!

That new avatar is amazing Beardo. Its even better than your normal one.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";87336838]Stop playing Marvel, Beef! You're getting too attached to your PS3![/QUOTE]

The Naruto 3 Full Burst DLC is already making me question lending it to you.

Falling claw should be buffed.

Either OTG or overhead or ground bounce when comboed into after a super jump

Silent kill should be nerfed to 125-200k as well. 400k unblockable that can be comboed after is a bit too much.

Dahbomb

Falling claw should be buffed.

Either OTG or overhead or ground bounce when comboed into after a super jump

Silent kill should be nerfed to 125-200k as well. 400k unblockable that can be comboed after is a bit too much.
We have already provided X23 with a way to combo at super jump height. The Talon changes are supposed to allow her to do that.

Nerfing Dirt Nap to 125-200K damage puts the damage of a LVL3 less than most LVL1 hypers. Plus you have to account for more health for everyone else as well as decreased X factor values for XF2 and XF3.

shaowebb

So in light of the update news, anyone wanna play Marvel?
Wait...are you referring to Ultra Street Fighter 4 info or did some update news happen for Marvel that I missed today?

Though I gotta admit USF4 "Its Mahvel Baby!" fits those announcements pretty well...Gief will fucking destroy folks.

Wait...are you referring to Ultra Street Fighter 4 info or did some update news happen for Marvel that I missed today?

iBwZTKo2MRyAV.gif

Solune

GGs Sollune. It's always nice to play a legit Iron Fist. I don't know what he is supposed to do against that match up though. Your regular Sentinel was doing ace.
GGs you bodied me. I have no idea what to do in that matchup either, Maya completely shuts down IF. PW > IF. I guess you need a beam or something in that matchup. tfw you get near perfected by Wright multiple times.

onionfrog

Capcom: Replays simply aren't possible with the engine UMvC3 runs on. With all the action and lightning fast gameplay it doesn't record correctly.

Capcom: Adds replays to Vita version.
Smh at all of the vita exclusive features.

EDIT:
Good Games Slasher.
The stupid hitboxes on most of Nova's normals helped quite a bit against maya's shield.
That solo Phoenix Wright comeback was ridiculous.

onionfrog

I admire how well you play as Wright, every time you land turnabout mode, you convert it into a long optimized turnabout combo. usually killing off a character

And those unblockable setups on incoming get me all the time!

It was ridiculous but that solo strider no X-Factor comeback was the most impressive.
:D
I love it when I can get shit going with strider.
I'd play him on point more, but his low health concerns me.

Also I gotta stop trying to play as Tron, that shit ain't working.

Also I gotta stop trying to play as Tron, that shit ain't working.

Nothing wrong with how you played her. You did do much better with her in the last set as opposed to this one though. Ghost Rider seems to do pretty well against her. I wish I could do some basic Taskmaster combo's. I've played the character a lot and I still do scrubby LMHS>a.M a.M a.H super.

Ghazi

I thought I may do better in local battles, but no, I'm even worse. And I thought I was bad at online.

Although I haven't played Jill/Dante/Vergil in a couple months and I haven't play Marvel at all in a month or two, I'd probably do better button mashing.

I start playing at 59 minutes in, of course they misspell Ghazi though haha, when the team changes to C. Viper it isn't me anymore.
Is Skrull a bad matchup for Jill? Also, I recurringly find myself getting pissed off at having to do the input for Feral Stance over and over again, so annoying at this point, because at the beginning of every match Jill got killed because I was trying to do Feral Stance inputs.

Oh, I totally forgot, it's complete bullshit that you can't tech those skrull (command?) grabs in the corner. Please fix that in your magical patch thingy guys.

I'm just pretty frustrated at myself that after, what, over 150 hours of gametime (since my last stat reset) I'm getting perfected over and over again. All that time I've put into the game has been worthless and a waste...

From this day forth I solemnly swear not to teleport as often as I did, I never realized how bad it could be punished.

onionfrog

I thought I may do better in local battles, but no, I'm even worse. And I thought I was bad at online.

Although I haven't played Jill/Dante/Vergil in a couple months and I haven't play Marvel at all in a month or two, I'd probably do better button mashing.

I start playing at 59 minutes in, of course they misspell Ghazi though haha, when the team changes to C. Viper it isn't me anymore.
Is Skrull a bad matchup for Jill? Also, I recurringly find myself getting pissed off at having to do the input for Feral Stance over and over again, so annoying at this point, because at the beginning of every match Jill got killed because I was trying to do Feral Stance inputs.

Oh, I totally forgot, it's complete bullshit that you can't tech those skrull (command?) grabs in the corner. Please fix that in your magical patch thingy guys.

I'm just pretty frustrated at myself that after, what, over 150 hours of gametime (since my last stat reset) I'm getting perfected over and over again. All that time I've put into the game has been worthless and a waste...

From this day forth I solemnly swear not to teleport as often as I did, I never realized how bad it could be punished.
I don't play any of your characters well enough to give any specific advice.
But it did seem like you weren't calling your assists much during the match to cover your point character.
You may have been able to stuff some of his attempts to get in with jill's somersault..

Maybe other people will have some more useful advice.
What system do you play online on?

Its definitely something that is much more effective online.

Ghazi

I don't play any of your characters well enough to give any specific advice.
But it did seem like you weren't calling your assists much during the match to cover your point character.
You may have been able to stuff some of his attempts to get in with jill's somersault..

Maybe other people will have some more useful advice.
What system do you play online on?

Its definitely something that is much more effective online.

Yeah, assists are so important meta game, but I hate having to use them. What my opponent was doing was having Akuma his Akuma assist come out a lot to cover him, which hit me a lot and kept me from punishing a lot of things. I need to use Frank's Shopping Cart more often to lock the opponent down with Jill, because the only ways I've won in the past was by locking the enemy down and keeping control of the situation (like the guy I was fighting against was, never once while I played him did I feel like I was in a position to go on heavy offense, which kept me kind of intimidated)

I don't think I've ever called assists, I play on this and have small fingers so it's hard for me to reach the assist buttons while playing (my opponent was on stick, I badly need to get one). Although, I have mapped out Vajra on the team I play now (Jill/Frank/Strider) to the left bumper on that pad instead of light like I had done with Vergil, so it definitely helps against opponents who stay in the air. I want to do Frank Shopping Cart more often than I actually do, though.

I know Somersault has some good invincibility frames (I get full combos off of Alpha Counters because of it), but to this day I've been unable to figure out the timing for it and part of that is because I don't know how to practice it other than making a friend sit in training with me and do projectiles over and over again. Feral Dash also has some invincibility frames at the end, and I'm better versed with the usage of that then somersault.

I never realized how much teleporting is easier to do without punishing online, yeah it's crazy.

I play on the 360, but I own a PS3 and I'll probably buy the game for it soon to play in lobbies and stuff with you guys (I have a mic as well)

edit: You can see some amazing examples of the invincibility frames from Somersault and Feral Dash from the, as always, amazing Paulo Jr. on YouTube here.

I want to be able to do crazy shit like that.

Yeah, assists are so important meta game, but I hate having to use them. What my opponent was doing was having Akuma his Akuma assist come out a lot to cover him, which hit me a lot and kept me from punishing a lot of things. I need to use Frank's Shopping Cart more often to lock the opponent down with Jill, because the only ways I've won in the past was by locking the enemy down and keeping control of the situation (like the guy I was fighting against was, never once while I played him did I feel like I was in a position to go on heavy offense, which kept me kind of intimidated)

I don't think I've ever called assists, I play on this and have small fingers so it's hard for me to reach the assist buttons while playing (my opponent was on stick, I badly need to get one). Although, I have mapped out Vajra on the team I play now (Jill/Frank/Strider) to the left bumper on that pad instead of light like I had done with Vergil, so it definitely helps against opponents who stay in the air. I want to do Frank Shopping Cart more often than I actually do, though.

I know Somersault has some good invincibility frames (I get full combos off of Alpha Counters because of it), but to this day I've been unable to figure out the timing for it and part of that is because I don't know how to practice it other than making a friend sit in training with me and do projectiles over and over again. Feral Dash also has some invincibility frames at the end, and I'm better versed with the usage of that then somersault.

I never realized how much teleporting is easier to do without punishing online, yeah it's crazy.

I play on the 360, but I own a PS3 and I'll probably buy the game for it soon to play in lobbies and stuff with you guys (I have a mic as well)

edit: You can see some amazing examples of the invincibility frames from Somersault and Feral Dash from the, as always, amazing Paulo Jr. on YouTube here.

I want to be able to do crazy shit like that.

I don't think you called an assist once during that set and that is a big no no, especially playing as Jill. she can definitely capitalize off of Jam Session and Rapid Slash. Why do you hate having to use them? And what do you have mapped to RB and RT on that controller? Use the triggers for things you won't need to frequently use since you said you have small fingers. I wouldn't say Skrull is a bad matchup for Jill as much as he's just a huge pain in the ass for almost the entire cast because of his risk/reward playstyle. I will say that you didn't have to lose to him in the opening so frequently. Jill has some damn good buttons and can win that opening against him. Feral Stance right at the beginning is not something I'd recommend at all. If you're not comfortable challenging someone in the opening then block and try to create some space.

If you wanna practice your Somersault timing, then go into training and record the dummy to do different things. It's an excellent tool that you'll be able to abuse since most folk don't know the Jill matchup.

You could've teched all of those Skrull normal grabs.

150 hours isn't much, so don't feel bad. Many players have 1000+ hours.

And yes teleporting without covering yourself is a very poor choice and is very easy to punish, especially Vergil.

Ghazi

I don't think you called an assist once during that set and that is a big no no, especially playing as Jill. she can definitely capitalize off of Jam Session and Rapid Slash. Why do you hate having to use them? And what do you have mapped to RB and RT on that controller? Use the triggers for things you won't need to frequently use since you said you have small fingers. I wouldn't say Skrull is a bad matchup for Jill as much as he's just a huge pain in the ass for almost the entire cast because of his risk/reward playstyle. I will say that you didn't have to lose to him in the opening so frequently. Jill has some damn good buttons and can win that opening against him. Feral Stance right at the beginning is not something I'd recommend at all. If you're not comfortable challenging someone in the opening then block and try to create some space.

If you wanna practice your Somersault timing, then go into training and record the dummy to do different things. It's an excellent tool that you'll be able to abuse since most folk don't know the Jill matchup.

You could've teched all of those Skrull normal grabs.

150 hours isn't much, so don't feel bad. Many players have 1000+ hours.

And yes teleporting without covering yourself is a very poor choice and is very easy to punish, especially Vergil.
It's annoying using them because I have RB as Assist 2 and RT as Assist 1. I was using the left bumper for L (for Round Trip just for Vergil) and the right bumper for M+H dashing (I've been practicing plinking with L to M+H). So that left me with RB and RT and I can't reach them with my thumb while I'm hitting other attacks... of course I could play claw to do that, but I began having finger cramps and pains when I did that for Halo, so I'm adamant about trying it out again.

That's my only issue with them, I hate that when I do use my assists I usually just randomly throw them out there. I haven't conditioned myself to thinking when would be a good idea to call an assist in alongside what could the character I'm controlling be doing (basically, I'm terrible at multitasking). In a perfect world I'd have both assists on the bumpers, but then I have to arbitrarily move my fingers off the attack buttons to dash (as I'd have to set it to RB/RT or have to press two attack buttons down).

I'm not a very fast learner, as obviously shown in the footage, I do things over and over again that I know will be punished before I even do them. I fell for that Skrull incoming character cross up time after time (even though I knew it was coming every time) until close to the end where I reflex switched where I was blocking. Add that to the recurring teleports, Lunar Phase after Stinger (wtf was I thinking), and repetitive attempts at Feral crouching when I was two feet from Skrull at the beginning of the match and etc.

I will have to say that I tried teching that grab nearly everytime and gave up because I thought it was a command grab I didn't know about. I also totally forgot about the recording feature, will give that a go the next time I'm in training. 150 hours is a lot for me though, since I only have time to play on the weekends, it's hard trying to learn the game in such little time (I play Friday nights from like 7-9, I have 4 hours of free time every Saturday and Sunday is dedicated to finishing my homework) so I don't get the opportunity to play very often, even though I'd love to.

Meta game? The entire game is based around it. It is a team game, not just a three character game. Assists can help your point characters weaknesses.

Yeah... I play it as a three character game which is pretty bad I'm assuming. I always focus on the character I'm playing instead of my other ones as well. I guess I need to work on paying attention to the bigger picture, rather than only the one character.

Oh you're having trouble pressing the face buttons. Well then you have to move your assists to the top buttons. Fuck having L just for Vergil. He's not Zero so it's not like you have to be constantly charging. I will admit that it makes it easier for Spiral Sword combos, but I would have to recommend changing your assists to the top buttons, they're too important to neglect. You'll probably have to start dashing with two attack buttons though. Y+B should work out nicely.

I feel your pain though. My stick broke several months ago and I have yet to replace it. I've been playing with a fucking 360 controller. And if I'm playing on PS3 I play with this cheap ass controller I got for 10 bucks at Best Buy.

Ghazi

Oh you're having trouble pressing the face buttons. Well then you have to move your assists to the top buttons. Fuck having L just for Vergil. He's not Zero so it's not like you have to be constantly charging. I will admit that it makes it easier for Spiral Sword combos, but I would have to recommend changing your assists to the top buttons, they're too important to neglect. You'll probably have to start dashing with two attack buttons though. Y+B should work out nicely.

I feel your pain though. My stick broke several months ago and I have yet to replace it. I've been playing with a fucking 360 controller. And if I'm playing on PS3 I play with this cheap ass controller I got for 10 bucks at Best Buy.
Wow, yeah, I'm not too huge a fan of pad. I tried a stick at the arcade and I was terrible at using the joystick, obviously I'd have to break it in if I got one, but it felt very good. I'm still looking at buying this one for $100 for 360 and seeing if I can have it dual modded. Maybe around Christmas time...

But sure, I just played a match online with the bumpers mapped as my assists and they were very helpful. I'll probably just stick to wave dashing, rather than plinking on my pad. 360 controller is garbage for fighting games, I fell you.

Interestingly enough, many people at the arcade play with a PS2 controller hooked up to a converter. I can't think of a very good reason for this, but to each his own.

Top Bottom