• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

onionfrog

Phoenix Wright suggestions (all toward making non-turnabout Wright more fearsome):
-reduce discard (investigation) startup

Is this really a problem? He throws his evidence out pretty fast as it is and can immediately grab another one.
It's really not, especially with increased durability it should be fine as is.
Since you guys brought it up, I went and looked at the current PW changes. I have to say that I think they look great and he probably doesn't need more.

Phoenix Wright
+Evidence now works as follows: meat is only acquired when Wright has red health to recover, bad evidence guarantees that the next evidence found will be good, and bad evidence rate has been reduced in general.
+Thrown evidence now causes dizzy state on hit for 120 frames.
+”M-Maya?!” L appears closer to Wright than before, startup is reduced to 15 frames, and the shield now benefits from damage scaling.
+c.H (Turnabout) now hits low.
+Stance Change reduced to 10 frames (from 20).
+”M-Maya?!” M and H startup reduced to 20 frames.
+Present Evidence and Paperwork air OK.
+Slip-Up startup reduced to 19 frames.
+Dash distance increased by 20%, total dash time unchanged.
+Hitboxes on normals improved slightly.

Assists: “Get em’ Missile!”, Questioning (becomes Objection when appropriate), Press the Witness H
These are solid buffs all around, and I think the objection assist is a game changer. (In a good way)

Karst said:
Jill:
-new assist: machine gun volley; she jumps out onto the screen and fires one small spray of 1 durability bullets that cover the screen. It would basically be a photon shot, but the startup would be larger since she has to jump into the air first, and then she would land near the opponent like with her hyper. It wouldn't require a new animation, and now she would have an interesting assist option.
X-23:
-rage trigger assist; only the first series of slashes
-an assist where X-23 runs forward, ignoring projectiles, and hits an enemy into a crumple state (uses Weapon X Prime animation)
Shuma-Gorath:
-Hyper Mystic Smash assist - he throws one clone that ignores projectiles (like Frank's Hammer Throw H)
These ideas seem a bit too weird to me.
I understand the need to improve the balance of assists in the game. And I feel like we've done a lot to improve good assist choices and variety in the game, but these are too over the top.

Some characters just aren't going to have 3 stellar assists. But the patch will still be greatly improved compared to how shitty some assists are now.

karst said:
Spider-Man:
-Web Ball H (assist) now auto-aims at opponents; captured aerial enemies fall to the ground (now he has a good assist)
This might be OK. Doesn't seem too out of place like the others.

With this and the buff to his Srk assist, he'll have two good assists. Which is not bad IMO

Can we add 'Enable Custom Sountrack Support on the PS3 version' to the Featureset Changes list? (It's so dumb that Sony made that optional instead of an OS level feature. Hell, I think even vanilla SF4 had it.)

Capcom, update the game already! ;_;

I've spent more time playing this game than any other game this gen. And my ~300 hours is nothing compared to most of you guys.

Dahbomb

Wasn't the scariest Vergil I've played by any means, but he was playing Vergil the way I figure our proposed patch Vergil would end up being played. It's kinda funny how that was more or less all I could think about as I fought him(besides "fuck s.H").
Vergil with DT is very much untapped potential even as a point character. People just don't use it because herp a derp Round Trip glitch with Missiles and Spiral Swords prevents other person from playing completely or herp a derp Dark Vergil with XF3 who has safe on block Rapid Slash, fast long reaching normals and everything leads to a dead character quickly.

Sigmaah

Hi gais.

Gonna try to play Zero/Wesker/Dante

Gunshot is fine with me, it may not be Tatsu assist but I can try to make it work. Dem unblockables and all I really need with Zero is Jam anyway. I just love weskers play style. Go in and fuck shit up!

Also, I wanna play a deadly point Vergil team. I wanna be able to ToD for the most part and I wanna round trip and sword loop for days. What are Vergils best assists that allow him to do so? If I have to use plasma beam I guess I will...

FSLink

Banned
Hi gais.

Gunshot is fine with me, it may not be Tatsu assist but I can try to make it work. Dem unblockables and all I really need with Zero is Jam anyway. I just love weskers play style. Go in and fuck shit up!

Also, I wanna play a deadly point Vergil team. I wanna be able to ToD for the most part and I wanna round trip and sword loop for days. What are Vergils best assists that allow him to do so? If I have to use plasma beam I guess I will...

Honestly, I like Chris G's team for a point Vergil team. Vergil + Morrigan meter assist + Missiles for lockdown while using Round Trip glitch = being an asshole. :p

Hi gais.

Vergil with Disruptor drives me fucking insane.

Since you guys brought it up, I went and looked at the current PW changes. I have to say that I think they look great and he probably doesn't need more.

These are solid buffs all around, and I think the objection assist is a game changer. (In a good way)

I support these changes 100% and wouldn't add anything else.

Can we add 'Enable Custom Sountrack Support on the PS3 version' to the Featureset Changes list? (It's so dumb that Sony made that optional instead of an OS level feature. Hell, I think even vanilla SF4 had it.)

Don't bring this up right now. I am still raging at the news that PS4 doesn't support MP3s or MP4s.

onionfrog

Don't bring this up right now. I am still raging at the news that PS4 doesn't support MP3s or MP4s.
Trust me I feel the same way.
Did they confirm that it won't support MP4's either? Like no local media playback whatsoever? I heard about the no MP3s and no Audio CD's(wtf) earlier today.

Custom soundtracks in this game would've been dope! I could've enjoyed mvc2's glorious smooth jazz soundtrack while playing mvc3.

Phoenix Wright suggestions (all toward making non-turnabout Wright more fearsome):
-reduce discard (investigation) startup

Is this really a problem? He throws his evidence out pretty fast as it is and can immediately grab another one.
I think the startup is a bit slow. I am trying to think if ways to.make investigation mode less crippling.

Dahbomb

So Capcom finally released total MVC3 and UMVC3 sales along with total DMC3 sales (which we haven't gotten concrete numbers on for like 8 years).

UMVC3 sold 1 million same as DMC3SE.

Combined with MVC3 and DMC3.. that puts MVC3 at 3.2 million (2.2 plus 1.0) and DMC3 at 2.3 million (1.3 + 1.0). That's pretty good for both games.

So Capcom finally released total MVC3 and UMVC3 sales along with total DMC3 sales (which we haven't gotten concrete numbers on for like 8 years).

UMVC3 sold 1 million same as DMC3SE.

Combined with MVC3 and DMC3.. that puts MVC3 at 3.2 million (2.2 plus 1.0) and DMC3 at 2.3 million (1.3 + 1.0). That's pretty good for both games.
Sold or shipped? I know Capcom likes to play that game.

So is the reason Capcom won't update this game mostly because of Marvel licenses and shit?

Could they just screw with the Capcom characters and leave Marvel side alone. Just rebalancing Capcom characters could make this a better game.

Dahbomb

Its a combination of that and Capcom does not want to put more work and resources into the game just to please the core audience. I don't think Marvel really cares if Capcom balances and bug fixes their game but obviously they can't release a new full expansion for the game with license renewal.

So a simple free balance/bug patch will not give Capcom much return of investment and a full expansion requires license renewal. That's the predicament Capcom is in.

onionfrog

So a simple free balance/bug patch will not give Capcom much return of investment and a full expansion requires license renewal. That's the predicament Capcom is in.
This makes sense. Its still a sad predicament though.
-I bought MVC Origins day one. Partially because MvC1 is one of my favorite capcom arcade games, but also because I wanted to support this series in any way possible. Same thing with buying vanilla + ultimate + the alternate costume pack.
-Hell I bought Umvc3 three different times!
1) Original Copy(ps3)
2) Traded in ps3 copy and a bunch other games to get a fightpad and UMVC3 for 360 once my PS3 died.
3) Sold 360 Copy once I sold my 360 to buy another PS3 and another copy of UMVC3.

Capcom makes me sad.
Anybody want to play on PSN?

Zissou

I am thinking photon array, gold armor, fire bottle, raw tag Dormammu in. So long as I can get the fire bottle OTG, this will actually have frame advantage.

I tried messing around with this in training mode and it gets Dorm in safely, but I wasn't able to get a combo going afterwards once Dorm was in- my gut still says it's possible though. I'll mess around with it more later if I have a chance.

My goal today is to respond to the new character change suggestions for Cap/Chris/etc.- sorry again for the delay!

Ghazi

It's time guys:
1397044_681606881864609_1841810686_o.jpg

I sent a couple friend requests out (Got PSN IDs from the Google Spreadsheet)

But if I didn't send one to you and you want to add me then hit me up at my PSN ID: Ghazzarro

Also, I mostly play on Fridays and weekends! And I need an invite to the chat room if it's still being utilized.

onionfrog

It's time guys:
1397044_681606881864609_1841810686_o.jpg

I sent a couple friend requests out (Got PSN IDs from the Google Spreadsheet)

But if I didn't send one to you and you want to add me then hit me up at my PSN ID: Ghazzarro

Also, I mostly play on Fridays and weekends! And I need an invite to the chat room if it's still being utilized.
Sweet!I accepted your friend request, maybe we'll be able to play sometime this weekend. I'd play a few rounds now but my wife is going to be home any minute now.

Also i'm somewhat glad to see that the game is still demanding a pretty decent used price.

Ghazi

Sweet!I accepted your friend request, maybe we'll be able to play sometime this weekend. I'd play a few rounds now but my wife is going to be home any minute now.

Also i'm somewhat glad to see that the game is still demanding a pretty decent used price.

YES! I'll be on a fair bit practicing and breaking into the PS3 controller this weekend, so whenever.

Also, yeah haha, the first GameStop I went to didn't even have a copy of it. I had to drive another half an hour out to get it.

edit: yo, sorry Onion Frog, my power cut out like I thought it might.

onionfrog

YES! I'll be on a fair bit practicing and breaking into the PS3 controller this weekend, so whenever.

Also, yeah haha, the first GameStop I went to didn't even have a copy of it. I had to drive another half an hour out to get it.
Good Games Ghazi.
I'm guessing your internet just went out due to that storm you were talking about.

I think you only called an assist once or twice during our matches. That is one thing that I think you should put some time into practicing.
For example: I'd call an assist to cover yourself before you go in with Jill's feral dash(I think that's what its called).

You combos were on point though, I'm jealous of those real dante combos. I can't even bold cancel consistently. ;_;

Edit:
edit: yo, sorry Onion Frog, my power cut out like I thought it might.
That sucks, you can't even get more lab time in tonight. Too bad it wasn't just your internet.
Nice avatar by the way

Ghazi

Good Games Ghazi.
I'm guessing your internet just went out due to that storm you were talking about.

I think you only called an assist once or twice during our matches. That is one thing that I think you should put some time into practicing.
For example: I'd call an assist to cover yourself before you go in with Jill's feral dash(I think that's what its called).

You combos were on point though, I'm jealous of those real dante combos. I can't even bold cancel consistently. ;_;

Edit:

That sucks, you can't even get more lab time in tonight. Too bad it wasn't just your internet.
Nice avatar by the way

Yeah, we're on Tornado Watch today, guess something must've hit a power line :(

I'm still working on calling assists, I've probably played like 5 minutes since that tourney last Saturday, I mapped the assists to my triggers on the PS3 controller (I'm especially unused to having all these buttons haha).

Yeah, damn I never knew Tron Bonne's assist could be so annoying,usually I'm good at abusing the invincibility frames at the end of Feral Dash to go through projectiles, but I've never encountered anyone playing that assist.

I only know 1 BnB with like all my characters, I'm working on Jill stuff that I haven't put into practice yet. Also, my Dante is garbage haha, my Bold Cancelling isn't anything to be proud of (for me, a friend taught it to me on the day I got the game and I still can't do it with 100% accuracy), I have a friend who is so aggressive with his Dante that it's borderline ridiculous. Hmmm, maybe I should see if he has time to coach me/ Vergil did all my work though, stupid broken bastard, I can't wait to replace him with Strider on anchor.

I'll play tomorrow if the power's back, I'm just surfing on my phone right now. the PS3 controller is so weird to play on, but years ahead of the vanilla 360 controller. The D-Pad is godlike, also the slowdowns on the PS3 version are so noticeable :(

And yeah, this avatar is godlike haha

onionfrog

Yeah, damn I never knew Tron Bonne's assist could be so annoying,usually I'm good at abusing the invincibility frames at the end of Feral Dash to go through projectiles, but I've never encountered anyone playing that assist.
Tron's Boulder assist is actually pretty good for Haggar, I find its almost as good as Arthur's Daggers assist for him. It lets me approach with j. Pipe and if I hit it converts into a full combo without using up Haggar's ground bounce so early in the combo.

I only know 1 BnB with like all my characters, I'm working on Jill stuff that I haven't put into practice yet. Also, my Dante is garbage haha, my Bold Cancelling isn't anything to be proud of (for me, a friend taught it to me on the day I got the game and I still can't do it with 100% accuracy), I have a friend who is so aggressive with his Dante that it's borderline ridiculous.
You're probably right, but people like me who can't bold cancel don't have any business playing Dante.

Hmmm, maybe I should see if he has time to coach me/ Vergil did all my work though, stupid broken bastard, I can't wait to replace him with Strider on anchor.
Strider anchor is great, I run him on my main team. The only possible issue I see with that is that Jill doesn't get much off a Vajra hit. But otherwise Strider is a really good anchor, fun to play with great comeback potential but not as braindead as Vergil anchor can be.

I'll play tomorrow if the power's back, I'm just surfing on my phone right now. the PS3 controller is so weird to play on, but years ahead of the vanilla 360 controller. The D-Pad is godlike, also the slowdowns on the PS3 version are so noticeable :(

And yeah, this avatar is godlike haha

I haven't noticed the slowdowns on ps3, but I play mostly on ps3 so I'm used to it.
I couldn't imagine trying to play this game with a stock 360 controller, that dpad is a nightmare.

Sigmaah

Jesus fucking Christ why can't Dante do ABCS. I'm tired of doing bold cancel shit cause that shit drops online no matter what. Why the fuck was so much pushback needed on his normals. Retarded capcom.

Jesus fucking Christ why can't Dante do ABCS. I'm tired of doing bold cancel shot cause that shit drops online no matter what. Why the fuck was so much pushback needed on his normals. Retarded capcom.

This is dumb because not even casuals can play Dante.

Edit: Anyone wanna play now?

onionfrog

Jesus fucking Christ why can't Dante do ABCS. I'm tired of doing bold cancel shit cause that shit drops online no matter what. Why the fuck was so much pushback needed on his normals. Retarded capcom.
Hahaha
This is why I don't play dante
It'd be nice if his normals didn't have so much pushback.

Well you can always use cr.H instead of standing H during the sequence.....that works doesn't it?

Ghazi

20 matches so far tonight and 0 wins, I've been losing to complete scrubs too. I think I'm going to wait a couple weeks before playing Marvel again. It's just not for me haha

But... hmmm. a couple more matches. This game is so addictive.

onionfrog

You taunted me. :(
I don't normally do it, but it felt good. And I was pretty fucking salty.
And why do you always turn in so soon?! I want a long set!
This time I'm honestly just too frustrated to keep playing against that team.
Usually I've got work pretty early in the morning. (On weekdays anyways)

And no mercy at my attempt to play Phoenix Wright, Plasma Beams all day! :(

I was gonna play Ghazi, but you guys are playing now.

I don't normally do it, but it felt good. And I was pretty fucking salty.
LOL. I'm glad I made you feel that way. :)

This time I'm honestly just too frustrated to keep playing against that team.
Usually I've got work pretty early in the morning. (On weekdays anyways)
Well, if you're frustrated, go to character select and PM me to change teams. I'm working on a few ideas, so I don't mind swapping it up if you find the matchup unenjoyable. Most of the teams have Doom on point right now, though. I like him.

And no mercy at my attempt to play Phoenix Wright, Plasma Beams all day! :(
Slasher is probably my most frequent opponent here, so if you want to win with Wright you will have to practice a lot! I know what to do to keep him in check for the most part.

Don't worry, I'm in a better place now.

I may be on tomorrow night as well
From what I gather, you are new to the game, so here are some tips:
1) Jill 100% needs a horizontal projectile assist. You cannot get away with not having one. You could try moving Dante to Weasel Shot, but it might not be enough for her.

2) Don't burn XF1 after those SMG hypers. You aren't killing Dormammu, so it's not worth it. X-Factor should always result in a dead character, and ideally two or three. Especially since you have Vergil on anchor.

3) Don't pushblock Purification or Dark Hole. Ever. Especially if you are in the air, because advancing guard holds your character in the air. That's why I was chaining 6-7 Purifications against you before you landed.

4) Use Dante's full moveset. I know there are a lot of moves, but especially use Air Play. It's probably his best special in the neutral.

5) After teleporting with Dante, hold forward and press j.H. If it hits, you convert into a full combo. j.H is better than The Hammer after teleporting because the only thing that consistently nails Dante post-teleport is an air throw, and j.H will tech the air throw. You can teleport constantly and without worry online.

6) When you ended Vergil combos, it looked to me like you were doing High Time (df.H), tapping H to teleport cancel, and then doing qcf.AA for Dimension Slash. You don't need to tap H to teleport cancel, though. Just use MH for your AA input when performing Dimension Slash, and it will teleport cancel + hyper at the same time. Much easier.

7) Don't be afraid to block more. I definitely shouldn't be hitting you with 3-4 Dark Matters in a row (Dormammu's little blue fireball).

8) Always snap Phoenix in.

9) When you get up close against your opponent, don't always feel the need to throw an attack out. Dormammu has the weakest close-range options in the game. Sit and go for a throw sometimes!

10) Dormammu's launcher is not safe. Block it at the start of the round and punish.

GGs, and I was glad to get a nice long set in with someone. :)

Top Bottom