• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

Vice

Controller is a good method. I like playing on the standard 360 pad but there's just some stuff I can't do in fighting games on it (FADC and reliably X-factor.) I always rockedassist on r-bumper and r-trigger. H-M on L-bumper and nothing on l-trigger.

That MLG stick can be dual modded.

Controller is a good method. I like playing on the standard 360 pad but there's just some stuff I can't do in fighting games on it (FADC and reliably X-factor.) I always rockedassist on r-bumper and r-trigger. H-M on L-bumper and nothing on l-trigger.

I exclusively play with my 360 pad and have no problems with it. It just takes practice :)

Why not put x-factor on the unused trigger?

LakeEarth

Yeah, "inescapable" is kind of a high claim, nothing is inescapable in this game. Cross over counter into Sentinel hard drive beats all.

Still a really solid setup. The team wouldn't have a great neutral, though.

Solune

This is really old, I think I've seen multiple Trish players use this. RDK used to use this all the time. I think I've even seen Jago use it.
The Trish unblockable is definitely old, but the setup is entirely different since it's point Dante rawtagged to Trish instead of point Trish. Theoretically should be midscreen possible too provided you're good at making Sky Dance hit right.
That shit sucks. I would be so sad to watch my entire team lose to that.

I see. Yeah I have my xf on RB/R1, triggers are assists, and LB/L1 is blank or occasionally used for L

The thing with this setup is that there's no guaranteed setup on the incoming character, it's still crazy good on a solo character.

onionfrog

Good Games Slasher!
You wrecked me pretty hard this time.
The cool shit I managed to pull off with Strider and those few Haggar victories made me feel better about it though.

Hulk + Drones + Online = :[

Been playing Modok/Dante/Strider a lot and it's such a fun team. I really wish Modok's puddle on the cr.M was bigger, cause corner throws are a bitch to capitalize on against certain characters (fuck you Trish). And I thought about something that would be so awesome for Strider....if he could chain his Excaliburs, that would be fucking sweet. Going from Excalibur M to Excalibur L would be my shit. Being able to chain his Ame-No-Murakamo's would be awesome too.

Pipe dreams.

onionfrog

Dropping Wesker?
I don't think so, we were just playing alt teams.

Been playing Modok/Dante/Strider a lot and it's such a fun team. I really wish Modok's puddle on the cr.M was bigger, cause corner throws are a bitch to capitalize on against certain characters (fuck you Trish). And I thought about something that would be so awesome for Strider....if he could chain his Excaliburs, that would be fucking sweet. Going from Excalibur M to Excalibur L would be my shit. Being able to chain his Ame-No-Murakamo's would be awesome too.

Pipe dreams.
I just wish Excalibur M and H were actually useful...

Oh Karst you still have this for Hulk

+Gamma Tornado (all versions) hitbox significantly increased; throws the opponent less far away, allowing for a Gamma Wave L + assist extension as with air throws.

You should correct to say that it's been made easier.

onionfrog

I'm messing around in training mode, and man Jill/Haggar THC is so ass. The opponent falls out halfway through.(Not that I really expected it to be good)

Oh Karst you still have this for Hulk

+Gamma Tornado (all versions) hitbox significantly increased; throws the opponent less far away, allowing for a Gamma Wave L + assist extension as with air throws.

You should correct to say that it's been made easier.
Would you PM me this so I don't forget? On my phone.

Question for anyone who knows or wants to figure something out for me: after Doom does aerial Photon Array during an air series, can you DHC into Gold Armor and link OTG fire bottle?

Zissou

Would you PM me this so I don't forget? On my phone.

Question for anyone who knows or wants to figure something out for me: after Doom does aerial Photon Array during an air series, can you DHC into Gold Armor and link OTG fire bottle?

Aerial photon array causes a soft knockdown, I believe (unless you are OTGing with it, in which case they stay in the hard knockdown state for photon array's duration). You could probably DHC to gold armor and continue the combo (don't know why you would though).

Aerial photon array causes a soft knockdown, I believe (unless you are OTGing with it, in which case they stay in the hard knockdown state for photon array's duration). You could probably DHC to gold armor and continue the combo (don't know why you would though).
I am thinking photon array, gold armor, fire bottle, raw tag Dormammu in. So long as I can get the fire bottle OTG, this will actually have frame advantage.

Dropping Wesker?

I would like to at times but he is the best for my team. I need a fast OTG assist. The only other character that could work is Deadpool, but Deadpool anchor is gross. Wesker is a good anchor but the only problem is he isn't covering the other two characters weakness's too well and there are characters that do well against all three of my characters. Wesker helps vanilla Wright get at least some decent damage. Regular Wright damage alone is beyond ass. Plus I like playing Wesker and I like Resident Evil so it's a natural fit.

I wish I could play Dante though. I love him but he's easily my worst character in the entire game. I can't do anything with that guy, but he would be great on the team. Overall I'm happy where I ended up with my team. I got characters I like and characters I feel that I can play decently well, (I admit I don't have the best execution that some characters demand) but I like using all of this games characters and mixing things up.

I never stick to one character or team in fighting games usually in the past, even in vanilla MvC3 for the most part, but once my favorite video game character (Wright) was announced I told myself I would dedicate myself to being the best Wright team I could be, just because I love the character, no matter how bad he was. Well I can say I stuck to my guns.

we playing ft10 next time. don't like ft3 in player matches.

FT3 is like a warm up for a FT10 or FT20.

shaowebb

Someone over on TYM is interested in expanding outwards to Marvel and plays Wesker/Vergil/Strider in that order. Thought I'd ask you guys whats the best team advice for setups and shenanigans you can give him.

Dahbomb

Damn I have never seen that Viscant post.

A+ material as always, hit all the right notes for that team. IMO it's Wesker's best team and is the only team that makes him a major threat in tournaments nowadays.
Hows the patch notes comin?
Like I said before it's 99% done we are just buffing some characters that still need buffing. Still waiting on the other 2 committee members to comment so we can wrap it up.

Probably need Karst to write up more annotations as well so we can finalize those as well.

Like I said before it's 99% done we are just buffing some characters that still need buffing. Still waiting on the other 2 committee members to comment so we can wrap it up.

Probably need Karst to write up more annotations as well so we can finalize those as well.
My wife is taking a trip to Michigan for two weeks, so I am going to have a lot of time to do annotations. We just need Frantic and Zissou to comment on our ideas.

We definitely need to create better assists for Jill and Spider-man. They are looking stiff compared to the rest of the cast. Two more ideas for Spider-man:
1) We use the Web Throw animation, but there is no "grab" animation; the player is just pulled in.
2) We use the Web Zip animation, which locks off part of the screen with a web. It would be interesting for it to follow up into a j.H from Spider-man, but that might be too much for them to code.

We could even make the Web Zip cause a Web Toss state on opponents it hits.

Frantic

Sorry that I haven't posted a response. Been pretty busy. For that, I'm gonna be more brief about this than normal.

Here are some suggestions for Chris:
-reduce his shotgun startup
Sure, why not.

-f.H overhead; I think this needs to happen
While I do think Chris needs at least an overhead, I feel the utility he gets from the current f.H outweighs the small boon of having an overhead. I'd be fine with Dahbomb's suggestion of charging it for a few frames, though.

-f.H staggers
-double jump
Not really sure about these.

-aerial gunshots now cause Chris to fall faster (recoil, makes his aerial game safer)
Not really sure I agree with this one. It might ruin some of his combos.

-j.S hitbox increased
Sure.

-shield slash (ground) is now dash-cancelable on hit or block
Dunno about this one.

-stars and stripes can now cancel into shield slash on block or hit (combos)
Sure. You'd have to adjust the hitstun/pushback on the move to get it to combo, though. Trying it in H&H shows it's really finicky right now, and it can't combo as an anti-air.

-Charging Star H now causes Rapid Slash-like pushback on block
For the assist?

-Chaos Tide now persists on tagout; the helper remains on screen hovering over the opponent when Firebrand is tagged out; the helper will swipe whenever Firebrand is called as an assist
Sure.

Haggar:
-c.H (assist) is fully invincible as a crossover counter until its recovery frames begin (100% safe and invincible crossover counter)
-c.H now links into Rapid Fire Fist (solo conversions off of throws)
-Giant Haggar Press is now projectile invincible
Sure.

Nemesis suggestions (not all of these, just ideas):
-passive super armor on ground dashes
-deadly reach moves now absorb enemy health
-deadly reach moves now negate projectiles
-c.H travel time increased significantly
-backwards ground dash is now startup invincible (back dash into command grab like BlazBlue's Tager)
-aerial normals all have their startup reduced by 2 frames
-tracking rocket assist (I don't know why we didn't talk about this before; he has the animation for a tracking rocket shot from his hyper)
Striked the ones I don't really like.

Phoenix Wright suggestions (all toward making non-turnabout Wright more fearsome):
-reduce discard (investigation) startup; increase projectile durability to 8
-reduce investigate startup
-improve his various present evidence (trial and turnabout) pieces so they are all useful

Spider-man:
-Web Swing (assist) now causes a soft knockdown
Sure.

Thor:
-air dash range increased (better command throw ability)
Sure.

Tron Bonne:
-bandit boulder is now cancelable somehow (give her better approach options)
-minimum air dash height removed
Sure to the first, no to the second.

Hulk:
-aerial gamma charge, or maybe he creates a hitbox when he lands from a big "thud"!
As long as they don't end up being spammable, sure.

She-Hulk:
-lamppost attack negates projectiles (helps her get in and buffs an assist option)
Sure.

Strider:
-formation A1 can no longer be negated by normal attacks
Sure.

Jill:
-new assist: machine gun volley; she jumps out onto the screen and fires one small spray of 1 durability bullets that cover the screen. It would basically be a photon shot, but the startup would be larger since she has to jump into the air first, and then she would land near the opponent like with her hyper. It wouldn't require a new animation, and now she would have an interesting assist option.
X-23:
-rage trigger assist; only the first series of slashes
-an assist where X-23 runs forward, ignoring projectiles, and hits an enemy into a crumple state (uses Weapon X Prime animation)
Shuma-Gorath:
-Hyper Mystic Smash assist - he throws one clone that ignores projectiles (like Frank's Hammer Throw H)
Spider-Man:
-Web Ball H (assist) now auto-aims at opponents; captured aerial enemies fall to the ground (now he has a good assist)
The problem with these is that they fall into a sort of gray area of our patch. While they would use existing animations, they'd still need to adjust them, which is animation work in and of itself. While I have no problems with them, they are, imo, asking too much of a patch.

Thanks Frantic. Help me think of assist ideas for some of those guys. I made a few more suggestions above.

Once Zissou comments, I will draft up full revisions.

Are you opposed to reducing Tron's minimum air dash height?

Dahbomb

Reducing air dash height? Not that much of a problem.

But removing the limit completely is crazy.

1) We use the Web Throw animation, but there is no "grab" animation; the player is just pulled in.
This was one of my ideas that I never suggested. Essentially the idea was that Spider Man would use his Web Throw diagonally up but instead of the throw animation you would get the Spencer Grapple where he would just stand the opponent. It could work but the reason why I didn't submit this is because it further forces you to pick between Spider Man and Spencer along with more comparisons being made.

The problem with these is that they fall into a sort of gray area of our patch. While they would use existing animations, they'd still need to adjust them, which is animation work in and of itself. While I have no problems with them, they are, imo, asking too much of a patch.
Yeah that's pretty much what I said. It's stretching the limits of the patch to a point where I am not comfortable with them.

Frantic

I played against a Vergil/Doom(Rocks)/Ammy that was pretty annoying to deal with. His lockdown strings were pretty ridiculous despite only using Spiral Swords on a couple of occasions(and not using Round Trip glitch), and he used Devil Trigger regularly. His use of Judgment Cut in neutral was also pretty impressive, as I haven't seen/played anyone who can use it well against more mobile characters. Renewed my hatred in Vergil's normals(though he had a bad habit of pushblocking into a normal everytime with Vergil that blew him up constantly).

Wasn't the scariest Vergil I've played by any means, but he was playing Vergil the way I figure our proposed patch Vergil would end up being played. It's kinda funny how that was more or less all I could think about as I fought him(besides "fuck s.H").

Thanks Frantic. Help me think of assist ideas for some of those guys. I made a few more suggestions above.
I'll try to think of some that don't require a whole lot of adjustments or what not. Most of it would probably just be adjusting certain properties of existing moves to give them more use as an assist without affecting the point version.

Are you opposed to reducing Tron's minimum air dash height?
Not at all. Removing it is just pushing it too far. Only one who doesn't have a minimum air dash height is MODOK, and he's a unique case due to his jump being a flight.

onionfrog

Tron
Can we have King Servbot still come out if Tron gets hit? (Like Hyper Sentinel Force)

Currently if Tron gets hit early enough during King Servbot, the Servbot does not come out. It's not an essential change, but I feel like it would give the hyper more utility than it currently has.

Phoenix Wright suggestions (all toward making non-turnabout Wright more fearsome):
-reduce discard (investigation) startup

Is this really a problem? He throws his evidence out pretty fast as it is and can immediately grab another one.

FSLink

Banned
-reduce discard (investigation) startup

Is this really a problem? He throws his evidence out pretty fast as it is and can immediately grab another one.

It's really not, especially with increased durability it should be fine as is.

Top Bottom