• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 |OT4| Nothing Stops This Patch!

onionfrog

LOL. I'm glad I made you feel that way. :)
lol its been a while since I've gotten that salty about marvel.
Well, if you're frustrated, go to character select and PM me to change teams. I'm working on a few ideas, so I don't mind swapping it up if you find the matchup unenjoyable. Most of the teams have Doom on point right now, though. I like him.
I liked it better when you didn't like doom ;)
I'll keep this in mind though.
I know you were playing him on point, but once you had him DHCed out I couldn't help but get really mad whenever I got combo broken by hidden missiles.

Slasher is probably my most frequent opponent here, so if you want to win with Wright you will have to practice a lot!
That was my first time actually trying to use that team against an actual person.

I'm mostly going off of what I've learned about playing PW from playing against Slasher so much.

I know what to do to keep him in check for the most part.
I could see that. :p

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";88321813];_;[/QUOTE]
Sorry Beardo!
If only they had released this game digitally, then maybe you could pick up a PS3 with a bad disc drive cheap and just download marvel 3.

A lot.of characters have some kind of mid combo answer to Hidden Missiles. If you don't, go for the reset before they come down. I felt like Doom's j.H was your biggest foe, though.

onionfrog

A lot.of characters have some kind of mid combo answer to Hidden Missiles. If you don't, go for the reset before they come down. I felt like Doom's j.H was your biggest foe, though.

Thats probably true. I have ho idea how to deal with repeated j.h + lockdown assist.
I should play more against point doom and learn how te deal with him.

EDIT: Good Games Ghazi.
Gotta call those assists more.
Dem Vergil comebacks man!

There is alot more involved than I thought in mantaining proper spacing inside maya's shield as Wright. Its not as simple as i thought it'd be.
I might be back on later today.

Ghazi

From what I gather, you are new to the game, so here are some tips:
1) Jill 100% needs a horizontal projectile assist. You cannot get away with not having one. You could try moving Dante to Weasel Shot, but it might not be enough for her.

2) Don't burn XF1 after those SMG hypers. You aren't killing Dormammu, so it's not worth it. X-Factor should always result in a dead character, and ideally two or three. Especially since you have Vergil on anchor.

3) Don't pushblock Purification or Dark Hole. Ever. Especially if you are in the air, because advancing guard holds your character in the air. That's why I was chaining 6-7 Purifications against you before you landed.

4) Use Dante's full moveset. I know there are a lot of moves, but especially use Air Play. It's probably his best special in the neutral.

5) After teleporting with Dante, hold forward and press j.H. If it hits, you convert into a full combo. j.H is better than The Hammer after teleporting because the only thing that consistently nails Dante post-teleport is an air throw, and j.H will tech the air throw. You can teleport constantly and without worry online.

6) When you ended Vergil combos, it looked to me like you were doing High Time (df.H), tapping H to teleport cancel, and then doing qcf.AA for Dimension Slash. You don't need to tap H to teleport cancel, though. Just use MH for your AA input when performing Dimension Slash, and it will teleport cancel + hyper at the same time. Much easier.

7) Don't be afraid to block more. I definitely shouldn't be hitting you with 3-4 Dark Matters in a row (Dormammu's little blue fireball).

8) Always snap Phoenix in.

9) When you get up close against your opponent, don't always feel the need to throw an attack out. Dormammu has the weakest close-range options in the game. Sit and go for a throw sometimes!

10) Dormammu's launcher is not safe. Block it at the start of the round and punish.

GGs, and I was glad to get a nice long set in with someone. :)
1) I used to have Iron Man with Unibeam. Seriously though, I'll throw him back on my team and I'll practice with him since it's been forever. I wonder how Frank is on anchor, because I don't know if I want both Strider and Iron Man.

2) I really wanted Dormammu dead, here's the thing, if I was playing with my fightpad or on the 360 I could kill him. I've spent tons of time in training practicing pick ups after SMG Spray and X-Factor (lvl 1), mostly on characters and assists. I don't know if it's the online or the controller but I can't do even the simplest of combos that I could pull of on the 360. I couldn't even consistently Bold Cancel. I also have a bunch of dificulty with the spacing of the buttons, and I like the PS3's D-Pad, but prefer my fightpad's. I get tons of messed up directions on the PS3's, but I can't even play the game on the 360's default pad so i guess I should be happy.

3) Yeah, that was annoying. I was so confused and was getting really angry at how I was just getting stuck in the air. There were two times I thought to not push block it, but I thought I fell at the same speed, so I went back to pushblocking.

4) I'm really close to dropping Dante, yesterday and today have showed me he's my worst character and I'm not good enough to play him anyway, so I don't want to bother with that. Being able to bold cancel and do combos with him means nothing at all if I can't convert off ANYTHING with him, which I can't. But, I was too scared to do airplay when you could just Purification me from full screen, I do use it more often than you saw. I was using Crystal, the Kalina Ann rockets move, the grapple, Air dance, I feel like I do make use of his diverse moveset, at least.

5) How do I convert and get a full combo off j. H? The only move I'll be able to if I hit the ground in time, before they recover, is S and I can't get too much damage/a combo off that and I can't to any other moves in the air that I could combo off of.

6) Ha! I actually have my dash button on the PS3 controller set to M+H, I never knew that. That'll be handy!

7) I would say about 75% of the time those hit me while I was transitioning from blocking to Feral Stance so I could dash. I am definitely mindful of Dark Mater, and a lot of Dormammu's moves

8) I could barely hit or kill any of your other characters, thinking about Phoenix was the least of my worries unless I actually got to her.

9) Really? I always thought Dormammu has ridiculously stupid hitboxes for his normals. Plus, he has that move that puts fire on the floor, that was especially annoying, when I was trying to close the distance between us with Jill I was getting it by pretty much every time you put it down, over and over again. I don't always go for attacks though, but I was trying to be extremely offensive against you yesterday, so I might have. For example, when playing Onionfrog today there were a good number of moments where we were extremely close to each other and awkwardly weren't doing anything for two or three seconds. I go for throws frequently, very frequently. But it never works and an actual heavy comes out while I'm standing withing 2 or 3 feet of the opposing characters. I hate the input for them in this game, it never works.

10) I remember trying to, but I got hit by it every time, I'll try out being offensive or defensive at the beginning of matches. I did block some, but I never was able to
take advantage of it.

Also, so you don't think I have the reflexes of an 80 year old, the, probably tens of times, that I recovered mid combo and just stood there or got hit again were not me being slow or pressing buttons. I put the controller down when I start getting combo'd, I know it's bad, but on the 360 and at the arcade I fight people who don't drop combos (like ever) and pretty much touch of death me. Then do unblockables on incoming characters, so I try to relieve my hand of the controller so I don't throw it or something. It's just a really bad habit, I'll need to work it out I guess. Sometimes I just hold the controller, but don't press any buttons or directions because there isn't a need to. I'm also know to just look away and do stuff on my computer while being combo'd on, just waiting for the audio cues for being hit to go away. I know it's a huge no-no, but it's become second nature at this point, to be honest.

Maybe we should keep this to PMs? I don't like taking up all this space, but I also like hearing the opinions of thoughts of other people as well.

Good Games Ghazi.
Gotta call those assists more.
Dem Vergil comebacks man!

There is alot more involved than I thought in mantaining proper spacing inside maya's shield as Wright. Its not as simple as i thought it'd be.
I might be back on later today.
Haha, yeah, I've been doing them much more than usual as of late. But the problem is that I just throw them out there, I don't think about it at all. Yeah, I hate Vergil, but I feel like I need to win some games here and there with his bullshit to keep my self-esteem from falling flat. Jill and Him are my most important characters who do all the work, I frequently let out an audible groan when she dies and I don't have a problem raw tagging Dante back in so she can get some health back/not die.

But yeah, I saw you improve big time with your positioning in the shield (which I still think is a bullshit move because you can't hit, grab, or command grab people out of it if they're positioned in it right.) so I couldn't just Feral Dash behind you and combo you. II got one grab off you in our matches, but I'm positive that it was because you weren't in the shield fully.

G7MrxBt.jpg
mj-laughing.gif

Nearly year and a half after playing Marvel and I'm a digital punching bag. But one day... it'll be better.

Thanks for all the advice and game time guys!

onionfrog

I put the controller down when I start getting combo'd, I know it's bad, but on the 360 and at the arcade I fight people who don't drop combos (like ever) and pretty much touch of death me. I know it's a huge no-no, but it's become second nature at this point, to be honest.
I'd try to get away from doing this. When I'm being comboed I'm thinking about what I'm going to do next once the combo is over.

For Example:
-Am I going to try to call an assist and mix them up?
-If my character lives, am I going to back off and try to DHC them out safely, or go in for some shenanigans?
-If they kill my character, what can I do on incoming to avoid their incoming mixup?

That span of time where you are being comboed is useful for something atleast.
Maybe we should keep this to PMs? I don't like taking up all this space, but I also like hearing the opinions of thoughts of other people as well.
Nah its cool to post them here. Its a nice aspect of being part of the community. You can ask for feedback on your play, advice on new characters etc...

Haha, yeah, I've been doing them much more than usual as of late. But the problem is that I just throw them out there, I don't think about it at all. Yeah, I hate Vergil, but I feel like I need to win some games here and there with his bullshit to keep my self-esteem from falling flat. Jill and Him are my most important characters who do all the work, I frequently let out an audible groan when she dies and I don't have a problem raw tagging Dante back in so she can get some health back/not die.
One thing I noticed was that you were comboing into Jill's machine gun super even when it wouldn't kill. It seems to me that you could just cut the combo short and go for a reset and conserve your meter.

Also when you got Happy Birthdays on my characters I would continue your jill combo into a jill/dante THC in order to do some serious damage or kill both characters.(Possibly even THC then burn XF1 and do some jump loops or something during the THC for more damage)

But yeah, I saw you improve big time with your positioning in the shield (which I still think is a bullshit move because you can't hit, grab, or command grab people out of it if they're positioned in it right.) so I couldn't just Feral Dash behind you and combo you. II got one grab off you in our matches, but I'm positive that it was because you weren't in the shield fully.
-Not true sir. You can regular grab/command grab people out of the shield.
-In fact that is the main strategy you should try to use when rushing down phoenix wright. If you know he's putting up the shield, dash in and command grab him. (Although it can still be frustrating if your command grab doesn't come out correctly and you get hit anyway.)

Also, if you want to get some really good practice against Phoenix Wright, play SlasherMcGirk. I look like a goddamn amateur with PW compared to him.

You really have to play differently against Wright compared to any other character. It's difficult to get used to.
Nearly year and a half after playing Marvel and I'm a digital punching bag. But one day... it'll be better.
Don't feel bad about it. I probably lose most of my matches against people here, and I've been playing since Vanilla Mvc3 first launched. But it doesn't stop it from being fun or stop me from learning anything from it.

photo.jpg

Dat 50% win rate... I'm ok with it.

FSLink

Banned
Frank West is okay on anchor if you have ways to DHC/TAC into him like with Dante to level him up. Utilize his zombies and frame trap them, j.M even at Lv1 is a pretty good normal for air to air conversions. If he is the last character left, look for opportunities to grab into a full XF combo or dropkick/Shopping Cart super if you see the opponent do something really unsafe and dumb. I can get pretty decent comebacks with him on my Zero/Dante/Frank West team. You just got to practice those conversions in case you get a stray hit, since you can level him up to at least 3 by himself, which is enough to make a comeback with.

Yeah, for Phoenix Wright you have to grab or command grab out of the shield, though be wary because c.L or s.L with Wright can beat it out. Or you could try using projectiles like Doom beam to beat out the shield and just be patient.

And I got to second the putting down the controller thing is a really bad idea. You have to get into the habit of trying to judge the situation on what to do next. In addition to Onionfrog's suggestions, there's also "if they drop the combo, do I alpha counter my next character in?" or "if they drop the combo, am I close enough to XFactor guard cancel, and if I am, should I do it? Is the opponent using a character they don't want to lose and is currently doing a safe block string?" You could bait them into wasting their XFactor earlier if your team doesn't necessarily need it.

onionfrog

Good games Slasher!

Turnabout PW with three bars stocked = Strider can't press any buttons.

The mind games that ensued trying to get you to throw out that level 3 raw were pretty interesting. Odd to have only XF3 strider left and NOT pressing buttons was my best option . Hahaha

I was glad to be able to bait it out successfully a few times.

I might be back on later.

That was my first time actually trying to use that team against an actual person.

I'm mostly going off of what I've learned about playing PW from playing against Slasher so much.

I'd be interested in how you did? What team where you using?

Slasher is probably my most frequent opponent here, so if you want to win with Wright you will have to practice a lot! I know what to do to keep him in check for the most part.

I feel like we haven't played a good set in forever :(
Gotta see how that Doom's coming along.

3) Don't pushblock Purification or Dark Hole. Ever. Especially if you are in the air, because advancing guard holds your character in the air. That's why I was chaining 6-7 Purifications against you before you landed.

I still get stuck in Purification loops when in the air. It's just so natural for me to push block everything. Gotta negate that chip damage.

mj-laughing.gif

Eh don't let it get you down. Everyone can be bad at Marvel. It's in the games nature. One or two small slips and it's over. I mean just yesterday I was playing a guy who was using Hawkeye/Haggar/Arthur and he just utterly destroyed me. Nothing I could do even fazed this guy. I couldn't get in at all, lock down central. (Fuck Hawkeye+daggers) I played about 10-15 games and only managed to kill one of his characters only a few times. I actually had to quit because it just felt so hopeless. You always feel like there is nothing you can do, but then you walk away and comeback and try not to think about it. Just enjoy the game for what it is and even if you don't realize it you do get better. Muscle memory, audio/visual cues, character strengths/weaknesses ect. do get ingrained into your head. Don't give up.

Good games Slasher!

Turnabout PW with three bars stocked = Strider can't press any buttons.

The mind games that ensued trying to get you to throw out that level 3 raw were pretty interesting. Odd to have only XF3 strider left and NOT pressing buttons was my best option . Hahaha

I was glad to be able to bait it out successfully a few times.

I might be back on later.

What else am I supposed to do against a comeback Strider lol? I noticed everytime I tried to jump teleport with Wesker backed by missile you always grabbed me. Am I getting to predictable maybe?

Also I've been getting into the habbit of just using Phantom Dance with Wesker just so I can get glasses off. Do you guys think this is dumb or wise?

Edit: I can get back on if anyone wants to play. I check back here every once in awhile.

onionfrog

In addition to Onionfrog's suggestions, there's also
1) "if they drop the combo, do I alpha counter my next character in?" or
2) "if they drop the combo, am I close enough to XFactor guard cancel, and if I am, should I do it? Is the opponent using a character they don't want to lose and is currently doing a safe block string?" You could bait them into wasting their XFactor earlier if your team doesn't necessarily need it.
I need to pay attention to these two suggestions as well .I think I've only ever used crossover counters accidentally lol.
And I very rarely think to punish a blockstring with XF cancelling.

Eventhubs: UMvC3 has sold 1.1 million copies

That's pretty good. I hope its good enough for the future of the series. Can't imagine UMvC3 costing that much more to make over Vanilla. Vanilla was a beta test anyway
The game's $20 on Amazon and hasn't hit PS+ yet, so I'm guessing they still get okay money out of the sales.
Pretty decent sales considering how they botched the release schedule. (Ultimate announced/released way too soon after vanilla, pissing off a lot of people in the process)

Unfortunately I don't think it'll ever be available on PS+ since they never released the game digitally on ps3.

I'd be interested in how you did? What team where you using?

I got utterly destroyed by Karsticles.
But I did pretty decent against Ghazi and one of my IRL friends online.

The team I played was:
Phoenix Wright(Missle)/Dante(Jam Session)/Felicia(Sand Splash).

Jam session is good to cover PW while collecting evidence and is a great AA assist for Felicia.

Dante also helps by:
1) Lockdown (obviously)
2) Being able to confirm into turnabout from raw Jam Session assist hits.
3) Can combo into Order In the Court with PW and DHC into Devil Trigger and get a decent extension. Its also a safe way to DHC PW out.
4) I think I can get solo unblockables off of PW/Dante THC, but I haven't confirmed this.
5) Can also confirm into turnabout from a yolo PW/Dante THC if I catch the opponent pressing buttons.

I feel like I need Felicia OTG assist to do the following:
1)Get full combos off air throws.
2) Be able to combo a basic magic series into OTG pickup + evidence pickup and continue the combo.
3) Easy combo confirmation into Turnabout Mode into Turnabout Combo.

I don't know if the team order was optimal, but I like having Felicia last since I'm pretty decent with her on anchor.

The team seemed to work pretty well. I'm just doing the basic Turnabout loop of j.MMH d.H S x3 into paper into hyper. (Less reps if there were more hitstun scaling before I landed the combo)

Definitely not as optimized as your combos with Wright, but a good starting point.

I still get stuck in Purification loops when in the air. It's just so natural for me to push block everything. Gotta negate that chip damage.
Even if I don't get stuck in loops, I still get wrecked pretty bad by getting chipped by well space purifications.

Eh don't let it get you down. Everyone can be bad at Marvel. It's in the games nature. One or two small slips and it's over. I mean just yesterday I was playing a guy who was using Hawkeye/Haggar/Arthur and he just utterly destroyed me. Nothing I could do even fazed this guy. I couldn't get in at all, lock down central. (Fuck Hawkeye+daggers) I played about 10-15 games and only managed to kill one of his characters only a few times. I actually had to quit because it just felt so hopeless. You always feel like there is nothing you can do, but then you walk away and comeback and try not to think about it. Just enjoy the game for what it is and even if you don't realize it you do get better. Muscle memory, audio/visual cues, character strengths/weaknesses ect. do get ingrained into your head. Don't give up.
This is how I felt against Karst last night. Shit was depressing

What else am I supposed to do against a comeback Strider lol?
I can respect it. It was some smart stuff.
I noticed everytime I tried to jump teleport with Wesker backed by missile you always grabbed me. Am I getting to predictable maybe?
I don't think you're getting predictable, I'm just becoming more aware of how to not get hit by those unblockables so much. :)

Also I've been getting into the habbit of just using Phantom Dance with Wesker just so I can get glasses off. Do you guys think this is dumb or wise?
Wise,
Thanks to random phantom dance crossups...

If those were ever removed from the game, I think it'd still be smart as long as you have a way to DHC out or still have XF.

Edit: I can get back on if anyone wants to play. I check back here every once in awhile.
I just got back from picking my wife up from her hair appointment, so I can probably play in 15 minutes or so once I eat some dinner.

The team I played was:
Phoenix Wright(Missle)/Dante(Jam Session)/Felicia(Sand Splash).

I love getting 2 bars and THCing. Let's PW get like five pickups.

I feel like I need Felicia OTG assist to do the following:
1)Get full combos off air throws.
2) Be able to combo a basic magic series into OTG pickup + evidence pickup and continue the combo.
3) Easy combo confirmation into Turnabout Mode into Turnabout Combo.

Really!? I had completely forgotten about that assist being OTG. If it works that well, it might have to be something I experiment with.

I log back on then I you wanna go another set.

onionfrog

Really!? I had completely forgotten about that assist being OTG. If it works that well, it might have to be something I experiment with.
Oh, its not quite as good as wesker's OTG assist though. Since Felicia's has lower hitstun and hits multiple times. Sometimes they fall out.
Using wesker's assist is probably easier.
And its just one evidence pickup like you do with wesker, not two. Sorry if my wording was confusing.

EDIT: Of course you lose your unblockable setups with samurai edge, since felicia's OTG doesnt hit low.

I log back on then I you wanna go another set.
I'm logging on now.

Felicia works well just not as well as Wesker. It was fun using her though, even if I didn't know any safe block strings or combos or anything. I tried XF3 loops. GGs though.

FSLink

Banned
Felicia as anchor sounds sweet for a Phoenix Wright team, completely forgot about her OTG, can't wait to try -

EDIT: Of course you lose your unblockable setups with samurai edge, since felicia's OTG doesnt hit low.

Oh. :/

I feel like my Hulk is getting better on my Wright team, though I still seem to get the most success with Wright/Dante/Zero because anchor Zero scares people off. Can Hulk benefit much off of Strange Bolts? I don't really feel like using Drones or Wesker/Rocket Punch OTG .

Felicia as anchor sounds sweet for a Phoenix Wright team, completely forgot about her OTG, can't wait to try -

I feel like my Hulk is getting better on my Wright team, though I still seem to get the most success with Wright/Dante/Zero because anchor Zero scares people off.

LOL yea I know.

Who's your third on your PW and Hulk team FSLink?

Bolts would help him move in but that about it. Maybe an easy hand clap?

onionfrog

Good Games Again Slasher.

Sorry for the intermittent breaks throughout.

I know you tried them seperately, but what did you think of the Felicia OTG(you covered this below) and Dante Jam Session assists for Phoenix Wright?
I think its a decent combination for me annyways.

Its always fun to get a chance to play some different characters.
Things were still intense even in the matches where we were both using unusual character combinations.

Felicia works well just not as well as Wesker. It was fun using her though, even if I didn't know any safe block strings or combos or anything. I tried XF3 loops. GGs though.
Yeah, the assist is definitely not as good as wesker's OTG.
I prefer Felicia since I'm used to her and can get wayyy more mileage out of Dark Felicia than I can Dark Wesker.

Her rolling buckler assist hits low, but I feel like wright gets alot from having a good OTG assist.
She is a great anchor though, especially if you learn some XF3 combos and abuse kitty helper unblockables/combo breaker BS while in XF3.

I feel like my Hulk is getting better on my Wright team, though I still seem to get the most success with Wright/Dante/Zero because anchor Zero scares people off. Can Hulk benefit much off of Strange Bolts? I don't really feel like using Drones or Wesker/Rocket Punch OTG .

I don't know enough to comment here.

I know you tried them seperately, but what did you think of the Felicia OTG and Dante Jam Session assists for Phoenix Wright?
I think its a decent combination for me annyways.

Felicia was alright. Good for added damage on normal combo's, but not being able to OTG into Objection kinda sucks. Also that assist doesn't hit low, so it doesn't help for unblockables so that kinda sucks. She doesn't do much for Hulk it seemed like.

Dante however is an amazing partner. One of the best for PW. I just suck donkey balls with him.

FSLink

Banned
Yeah I can do the simple Felicia XF3 stuff, so that sounds good actually if it does hit low. But my Dark Wesker is tons better than my Dark Felicia, shoot even my Dark Dante is better. :p

LOL yea I know.

Who's your third on your PW and Hulk team FSLink?

I've been using Doom Beam/Rocks for 3rd. I'd love to use Dante as 3rd for Hulk/Wright but I'm unsure on how to properly convert off Jam Session with Hulk, and not good enough to go without a beam assist. :p Strange just sounds fun since you can get FoF loops off of a basic Wright combo into DHC.

EDIT: v Oh. :(

onionfrog

Felicia was alright. Good for added damage on normal combo's, but not being able to OTG into Objection kinda sucks. Also that assist doesn't hit low, so it doesn't help for unblockables so that kinda sucks. She doesn't do much for Hulk it seemed like.

Dante however is an amazing partner. One of the best for PW. I just suck donkey balls with him.
Yeah, the added utility that Samurai Edge gets from hitting low is pretty important, especially for your team.

\
I don't know anything about hulk except HULK SMASH.
However, couldn't it be useful to:
A) Get people to duck the bolts and hit them overhead with j.H?
or
B) Use bolts for lockdown and go for command grabs inbetween the bolts.?

Yeah I can do the simple Felicia XF3 stuff, so that sounds good actually if it does hit low.
Nah, the OTG assist: Sand Splash hits OTG, but does not hit low.
The Rolling Buckler assist, which does not OTG, does hit low.

Bolts combo but if they block then you can grab between the bolts. Bolts are great for Hulk, especially since he can cross up with his dash.

I've been hungover all day and I feel like shit....who wants to fight?!?

smurfx

get some go again
damn frantic! finally catch you online and you even send ft10 match request but i wasn't able to play thanks to work. -_-

lol its been a while since I've gotten that salty about marvel.
I beam!

I liked it better when you didn't like doom ;)
I'll keep this in mind though.
I know you were playing him on point, but once you had him DHCed out I couldn't help but get really mad whenever I got combo broken by hidden missiles.
Funny story: I only picked up Doom because I was playing Dive Kick, and Dr. Shoals is undoubtedly my favorite character in that game. I figured that since I main Dr. Shoals, I should also try using Dr. Doom in Marvel again. That's the entirety of my reasoning! I've ended up liking him a lot now that my skill level is to the point where I can move with him consistently.

I actually prefer characters without a good ground dash because I am not good at plink or wave dashing. :)

Sorry Beardo!
If only they had released this game digitally, then maybe you could pick up a PS3 with a bad disc drive cheap and just download marvel 3.
Beardo left the Church of the Minions of his own volition! Now be silent and pray, the third iteration is nigh...

1) I used to have Iron Man with Unibeam. Seriously though, I'll throw him back on my team and I'll practice with him since it's been forever. I wonder how Frank is on anchor, because I don't know if I want both Strider and Iron Man.
Give Jill/Iron Man/Sentinel a try.

2) I really wanted Dormammu dead, here's the thing, if I was playing with my fightpad or on the 360 I could kill him. I've spent tons of time in training practicing pick ups after SMG Spray and X-Factor (lvl 1), mostly on characters and assists. I don't know if it's the online or the controller but I can't do even the simplest of combos that I could pull of on the 360. I couldn't even consistently Bold Cancel. I also have a bunch of dificulty with the spacing of the buttons, and I like the PS3's D-Pad, but prefer my fightpad's. I get tons of messed up directions on the PS3's, but I can't even play the game on the 360's default pad so i guess I should be happy.
Yeah, but on a Phoenix team, you should never blow X-Factor to kill the opponent's first character. Phoenix will get you ever time. Save the X-Factor to TAC glitch Phoenix. ;-)

3) Yeah, that was annoying. I was so confused and was getting really angry at how I was just getting stuck in the air. There were two times I thought to not push block it, but I thought I fell at the same speed, so I went back to pushblocking.
Dormammu is probably one of the weirder characters when it comes to pushblock. Everyone pushblocks his projectiles (big no no), but up close, no one pushblocks Flame Carpet. It's like people think "I finally got in, I don't want to push him away!" But you NEED to. Otherwise I just keep linking Flame Carpets for more chip damage.

4) I'm really close to dropping Dante, yesterday and today have showed me he's my worst character and I'm not good enough to play him anyway, so I don't want to bother with that. Being able to bold cancel and do combos with him means nothing at all if I can't convert off ANYTHING with him, which I can't. But, I was too scared to do airplay when you could just Purification me from full screen, I do use it more often than you saw. I was using Crystal, the Kalina Ann rockets move, the grapple, Air dance, I feel like I do make use of his diverse moveset, at least.
I am also butt with Dante - cheers!

5) How do I convert and get a full combo off j. H? The only move I'll be able to if I hit the ground in time, before they recover, is S and I can't get too much damage/a combo off that and I can't to any other moves in the air that I could combo off of.
After j.H, j.MH, f.H, etc.

6) Ha! I actually have my dash button on the PS3 controller set to M+H, I never knew that. That'll be handy!
You should get a stick!

7) I would say about 75% of the time those hit me while I was transitioning from blocking to Feral Stance so I could dash. I am definitely mindful of Dark Mater, and a lot of Dormammu's moves
Feral Stance to move around is very risky.

8) I could barely hit or kill any of your other characters, thinking about Phoenix was the least of my worries unless I actually got to her.
I dig. Snap her in!

9) Really? I always thought Dormammu has ridiculously stupid hitboxes for his normals. Plus, he has that move that puts fire on the floor, that was especially annoying, when I was trying to close the distance between us with Jill I was getting it by pretty much every time you put it down, over and over again. I don't always go for attacks though, but I was trying to be extremely offensive against you yesterday, so I might have. For example, when playing Onionfrog today there were a good number of moments where we were extremely close to each other and awkwardly weren't doing anything for two or three seconds. I go for throws frequently, very frequently. But it never works and an actual heavy comes out while I'm standing withing 2 or 3 feet of the opposing characters. I hate the input for them in this game, it never works.
Dormammu's normals are pretty consistent with him being a heavy. They are big-ish, but not huge like Vergil or Dante.

The best way to throw people in this game is to dash up right next to them, tap down to dash cancel, and then throw. Most people think you are about to go for a low, so it works.

Also, so you don't think I have the reflexes of an 80 year old, the, probably tens of times, that I recovered mid combo and just stood there or got hit again were not me being slow or pressing buttons. I put the controller down when I start getting combo'd, I know it's bad, but on the 360 and at the arcade I fight people who don't drop combos (like ever) and pretty much touch of death me. Then do unblockables on incoming characters, so I try to relieve my hand of the controller so I don't throw it or something. It's just a really bad habit, I'll need to work it out I guess. Sometimes I just hold the controller, but don't press any buttons or directions because there isn't a need to. I'm also know to just look away and do stuff on my computer while being combo'd on, just waiting for the audio cues for being hit to go away. I know it's a huge no-no, but it's become second nature at this point, to be honest.
It's cool. I check my cell phone when I get hit by a Zero player. ;-) I knew you were setting the controller down. I only play once every few weeks, so I tend to drop a lot of stuff. I've also only been playing Doom for a month or so, so I am still sloppy with him. I rarely drop Dormammu stuff.

Also, props to you on blocking Dark Matter cross-ups most of the time. I rarely play people who block those, and it gave me a chance to use the L teleport so it's a true mix-up. Usually people get hit by those all day long...

We are using this thread for its proper purpose. :)

Consider moving away from Vergil, then, if you really don't like using him. I strive to play three characters I enjoy.

Go for those grabs!

Ditto.

After reading this thread, I'm tempted to buy PS3 version so I can play with most of you.
Aren't you in the EU or something? That might not go well, but we could try.

onionfrog

Funny story: I only picked up Doom because I was playing Dive Kick
That's too funny.
Beardo left the Church of the Minions of his own volition! Now be silent and pray, the third iteration is nigh...
Karsticles
High Priest of the Church of Minions
Make it happen mods

I hope the third iteration is nigh. Us true believers would like to see the return of our lord and savior Megaman. And the weakening of the power of the dark lord Vergil.

I am also butt with Dante - cheers!
Throughout this thread I think that makes four of us.
You should get a stick!
I've been debating this as well. Will it really be that much better than a pad? I'm so used to playing on dualshock 3 by now...
Consider moving away from Vergil, then, if you really don't like using him. I strive to play three characters I enjoy.
As do I. I think it's much better when you're playing characters that you enjoy.

That's too funny.
I only played Dive Kick that one day, too...

Karsticles
High Priest of the Church of Minions
Make it happen mods
Do Tekken players really need to hate me more? ;-)

I hope the third iteration is nigh. Us true believers would like to see the return of our lord and savior Megaman. And the weakening of the power of the dark lord Vergil.
Damn straight.

Throughout this thread I think that makes four of us.
I did my first Stinger, BC, Reverb Shock against a living person this weekend! ;-)

I've been debating this as well. Will it really be that much better than a pad? I'm so used to playing on dualshock 3 by now...
It depends on the person. For me, it was huge. I played on a d-pad since I was a little kid with SFII, and it took about 1 month of hard practice to get back to my previous skill level on a stick. After that, it has all been uphill. The two best things about sticks are:
1) Easy to push several buttons close together. This is really hard on a pad in the heat of things. Doing stuff like Morrigan's Soul Fist waves are impossible for me on a pad.

2) Movement is more precise because the stick is so big and takes up so much space.

As do I. I think it's much better when you're playing characters that you enjoy.
I'm 50/50 on Sentinel and enjoying him, but I can't think of a better character to support point Doom. I want to mess with Arthur a bit, but he and Sentinel seem to be the only candidates since I can't play Dante for crud. Dagger Toss is also < Sentinel Force for Dormammu.

onionfrog

It depends on the person. For me, it was huge. I played on a d-pad since I was a little kid with SFII, and it took about 1 month of hard practice to get back to my previous skill level on a stick. After that, it has all been uphill. The two best things about sticks are:
1) Easy to push several buttons close together. This is really hard on a pad in the heat of things. Doing stuff like Morrigan's Soul Fist waves are impossible for me on a pad.

2) Movement is more precise because the stick is so big and takes up so much space.
Hmm.
Well for now the main thing is that it doesn't cost me anything to continue playing on pad. And I don't have money for a stick right now. :p

Maybe I'll snag one the next time they've got good promo codes deals going during a tournament.

What stick do you use?
I'm 50/50 on Sentinel and enjoying him, but I can't think of a better character to support point Doom.
I enjoy playing as Sentinel, but anchor Sentinel is so wack,
But nobody else has his assist, so I end up using him anyways on certain teams.

Hmm.
Well for now the main thing is that it doesn't cost me anything to continue playing on pad. And I don't have money for a stick right now. :p

Maybe I'll snag one the next time they've got good promo codes deals going during a tournament.
I feel you there. Hey though, Christmas is coming! ;-)

What stick do you use?
My PS3 stick is a HRAP V3 SA. My 360 stick is a Madcatz TE (SFxT edition - LOL!). I like them both and have never had problems with either. I also spent about $12 modding a bat top onto them both. I got the HRAP for $100, and the Madcatz I won on SRK.

I enjoy playing as Sentinel, but anchor Sentinel is so wack,
But nobody else has his assist, so I end up using him anyways on certain teams.
I always get air thrown when I play Sentinel. :( I suck.

Is this MadCatz Soul Calibur Stick any good?
http://www.amazon.com/SoulCalibur-Arcade-FightStick-Edition-Xbox-360/dp/B006EJ38X2/ref=pd_sim_vg_5

$99.99 doesn't seem too bad, and I think I've seen these even lower on MadCatz promos during various tournament weekends.Of course I'd probably have to get it dual modded at some point.

Could be a good christmas gift idea. :)
Looks like a TE-quality stick. Just take note of this:
-The Layout is different than a Street Fighter Stick when it comes to button mapping. If you look closely at the picture, the LT button is where the B button usually is. This is so that the 4 buttons you use for Soul Calibur are underneath all of your fingers so there is no need to reach awkwardly for the B button. Keep this in mind when you're buying it because this can present a problem if you are trying to use the stick for different games like I was that don't really allow you to customize the configuration.

The buttons are also set in a parabola, which is not typical for TE layouts. This is more common:

That being said, if you have the means, I highly recommend trying out a few sticks before you buy. If you have any kind of local scene, ask if you can play a set on someone's because you are thinking about buying. You might like one button setup over another, and you might like bat tops or octagon gates more than ball tops and square gates. Fight sticks are very personal things.

onionfrog

That being said, if you have the means, I highly recommend trying out a few sticks before you buy. If you have any kind of local scene, ask if you can play a set on someone's because you are thinking about buying. You might like one button setup over another, and you might like bat tops or octagon gates more than ball tops and square gates. Fight sticks are very personal things.

Hmm, Good point about the button layout on the Soul Calibur Stick.

Now apart from being smaller and ugly as sin, do you have any opinions on this?
710xxURpLiL._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-WWE-Stars-Brawl-Stick-3/dp/B004M25NNQ/ref=pd_cp_vg_0
Its also absolutely dirt cheap, which appeals to my wallet.

Feel free to smack me if you think I should just go to the arcade stick thread and ask them.

710xxURpLiL._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-WWE-Stars-Brawl-Stick-3/dp/B004M25NNQ/ref=pd_cp_vg_0

Feel free to smack me if you think I should just go to the arcade stick thread and ask them.
I am going to tell you to go to the arcade stick thread. Not because you should be smacked, but because there are a lot of folks there who know a lot more than I do. That's a nice sale, but at $80 I wonder if it's closer to SE or TE quality, and that's not something I would know. Some people do purchase cheapo models and then replace the parts - it tends to be cheaper than buying a high quality product, but then you're voiding your warranty and jazz.

onionfrog

I am going to tell you to go to the arcade stick thread. Not because you should be smacked, but because there are a lot of folks there who know a lot more than I do. That's a nice sale, but at $80 I wonder if it's closer to SE or TE quality, and that's not something I would know. Some people do purchase cheapo models and then replace the parts - it tends to be cheaper than buying a high quality product, but then you're voiding your warranty and jazz.
OK, thanks Karst.

Want to play some Marvel or AE today?

OK, thanks Karst.

Want to play some Marvel or AE today?
How about now for some Marvel?

I'm on vacation from AE until Ultra releases. Ditto for Skullgirls and Big Band.

Also, I was on the fence about Guilty Gear X3rd before, but after this latest set of images, it just looks too impressive to pass up. Back to having fun with Dizzy...hopefully they animate her wings a lot. I love those two bickering back and forth!

onionfrog

How about now for some Marvel?
Sure.

I'm on vacation from AE until Ultra releases. Ditto for Skullgirls and Big Band.
Ahh, ok. I'm not going to play skullgirls again until squigly is out on PS3 atleast.

Also, I was on the fence about Guilty Gear X3rd before, but after this latest set of images, it just looks too impressive to pass up. Back to having fun with Dizzy...hopefully they animate her wings a lot. I love those two bickering back and forth!
I've never played Guilty Gear, but I think I may have to start with Xrd.

Also I asked in the arcade stick thread, so we'll see what they have to say about it.

I can not play stick at all. I have never been able to. Even playing side scrolling games at the arcade irritate me. I've tried but after so many years and I still can't pull off a simple shoryruken I give up.

Sure.

Ahh, ok. I'm not going to play skullgirls again until squigly is out on PS3 atleast.

I've never played Guilty Gear, but I think I may have to start with Xrd.

Also I asked in the arcade stick thread, so we'll see what they have to say about it.
Guilty Gear is like BlazBlue, but good.

Fuck this I'm done!
... I mean Good Games Karst.

Apparently I should just pick stupider characters.

/salt
Hahaha, I could feel your salt from over here. Taunting after getting your first win with Vergil...man! If it makes you feel better (?), you won that because I dropped several Thor combos and made a bad X-Factor call. And I've never played against Wolverine with Thor, so it was a very hectic match from my perspective. Your usual characters are plenty stupid, don't feel bad!

I laughed really hard at my reverse OCV with Dr. Doom with no X-Factor that one match. Damn.

You should play longer sets with me! :p

I think you should consider two things:
1) Felicia needs to get in, but you're running away at the start of the match. That's not productive for her. I know Doom has good round starting options, but it's something you have to confront.

2) Felicia vs. Dr. Doom is not a very good matchup for her. Consider flipping your team order to put Hawkeye first against that match. It's very much in Hawkeye's favor.

onionfrog

Hahaha, I could feel your salt from over here. Taunting after getting your first win with Vergil...man!
I bet you could.
I was just following in the footsteps of a classic online tactic, win shittily, taunt and leave.

If it makes you feel better (?), you won that because I dropped several Thor combos and made a bad X-Factor call. And I've never played against Wolverine with Thor, so it was a very hectic match from my perspective. Your usual characters are plenty stupid, don't feel bad!
I don't think they are stupid enough.
I should just quit practicing and play Wolverine/Doom/Vergil
I'm Kidding!

I laughed really hard at my reverse OCV with Dr. Doom with no X-Factor that one match. Damn.
That was some soul shattering stuff. I was very dissapointed.

You should play longer sets with me! :p
Maybe I'll get back on later, need to take a break and get some chores done around the house.

I think you should consider two things:
1) Felicia needs to get in, but you're running away at the start of the match. That's not productive for her. I know Doom has good round starting options, but it's something you have to confront.
I dunno, whenever I did try to go in, Doom's j.H + assist completely negated Hawkeye's greyhound assist.

I think maybe I should switch out hawkeye for someone with a good beam assist, but I'm shit with most of the good beam assist characters.

2) Felicia vs. Dr. Doom is not a very good matchup for her. Consider flipping your team order to put Hawkeye first against that match. It's very much in Hawkeye's favor.
Thats probably a good idea.

Thanks for the heads-up, GB. I did not know that.

Onionfrog, three other ideas:
1) Why not superjump into Delta Kick away from me sometimes? I think a big problem is that you get cornered, and then you never leave. You might get hit by Plasma Beam on the way down, but that's better than being in the corner.

2) Sentinel Force and Greyhound have the same HP, so Doom's j.H or Photon Shot will give me the one-up over you. I think you should consider mixing in Strider sometimes - I never see you call him as Felicia. Play TheMangoSentinel on here - he makes Felicia + Strider terrifying to behold. Also, Doom's j.H does not have good coverage over grounded characters. Consider jumping less with Felicia - it gives me a lot of free pressure.

3) Hawkeye is your weakest character. By far. I would create a point team with him that forces you to learn his ins and outs, because right now he's pretty free.

Vice

710xxURpLiL._SL1500_.jpg

The stock buttons and stick feel horrible. Once you get new buttons and a gate you'll only be saving a few dollars while voiding your warranty.

Onionfrog, you can eat Doom alive at the start of the round with Felicia. Don't be scared of that fool. In fact I go after everyone at the start of the round with Felicia.....except Haggar.....never Haggar.........never ever Haggar............never...........ever.

If Karst is using the team I think he is, then yes that team is fucking rage inducing. I use it as well and have even won a couple tournaments with it......all while not being very good with 2 of the characters. So the only reason I can fight against it, is because I know the team.

Top Bottom