• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Zack117

Banned
Hey and welcome to GAF :) I would recommend Poison to a beginner because she has a lot of similar characteristics that other shotos (Characters who are similar normals/special moves to Ryu) have such as a projectile to control space and a invincible attack. I would recommend looking up Combofiend's video guide on Poison if you are curious. Shoryuken.com/forums and eventhubs.com are good places for help as well.
Thanks for the advice. Yeah I already did some research on those two sites and also made myself familiar with the basic gameplay mechanics. I'm currently mostly working on my execution on fadc into ultras and getting the rhythm for those links. Combofiend sounds somehow familiar, I'll definitely check it out. Still gotta hold out until August 8th as I want the definitive version of the game. I love the option of having different costumes at my disposal.

k_hop

I'll probably have Ultra on PS3 around the start of next month. (Don't have a 360) Hope I get to join you guys in some matches. My mains are Cody and Makoto and I'm pretty excited about their buffs. Being able to cancel into Cody's knife pick-up in particular sounds sweet as hell.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
First hate mail I've ever gotten from someone who was supposed to be "training." He only used Elena and lost each time we played. I used different characters every time and won 6-0. Was surprised at the salt flow.

E6sl2b2.jpg

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Ultra is def less consistent connection wise than AE or Super. Its not a huge downgrade but it took a hit. Its harder to connect to games and the game pauses to resynch considerably more frequently than previous versions

Geniuzz

First hate mail I've ever gotten from someone who was supposed to be "training." He only used Elena and lost each time we played. I used different characters every time and won 6-0. Was surprised at the salt flow.

E6sl2b2.jpg
So far II have received a couple ggs on Xboxlive, one gg on PSN , immediately followed by "F*cking Clown". No Ultra hatemail on XBL just yet.

KLonso

Probably a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyhow. How is it that red focus opens up new combo possibilities? I was under the impression that the only difference between it and regular focus is that it absorbs more hits, so I can't see how that would affect combos.

FSLink

Banned
Probably a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyhow. How is it that red focus opens up new combo possibilities? I was under the impression that the only difference between it and regular focus is that it absorbs more hits, so I can't see how that would affect combos.

The hit of EX Red Focus Attack causes crumple.

El Sloth

Banned
EX Red Focus (the one that costs three bars) crumples on hit no matter what level.

Grakl

I don't think I've ever sent a gg after a match. I've received plenty hatemail though, so there's that, hah

probably because all I do is buttstomp with honda, it's way too effective online and fuckin hilarious

Is it proper etiquette to send someone a gg message after a match? I don't play online games much. ,
You will receive varying responses. Some people will GG back, some will ignore you, and others will get angry: "WTF r u talk bout! not good game ur cheap ass bitch n suck".

I get ggs but sometimes people send me hate mail or talking trash even when they win. I ussually respond with a GG or complement back. People really don't like Bison/Gief/Sim/Elena or maybe my playstyle. Sometime I have the mic open and say "whoops" or "what does this do?" while I am playing.

Ok, thanks for the responses. I tend to send them out when I win, but since I lose most of the time, I don't send out very many : ) I usually just play random ranked matches anyway, because when I play in Endless I usually end up feeling like I'm the training dummy in a combo video.

VeeP

Man, I downloaded the free SSFIVAE from XBL (not Ultra), and I'm just having too much fun playing online. I thought I would get my butt handed to me, but I've won 30/35 games or so, not too bad.

BizzyBum

It's ridiculously good for certain characters (Yun) and practically worthless for others (Ryu).

I main Ryu and haven't really found a practical and worthwhile setup for red focus yet.

Is it proper etiquette to send someone a gg message after a match? I don't play online games much. ,

If it's a random ranked match I never send anything. I only do it when I play someone in a long Endless set or if someone messages me first.

kirblar

Ryu had multiple non-FADC ways to get to his Ultra before now. It's really helpful at lower levels of play for players who just don't have the execution abilities to pull it off.

El Sloth

Banned
It's ridiculously good for certain characters (Yun) and practically worthless for others (Ryu).

I main Ryu and haven't really found a practical and worthwhile setup for red focus yet.
It's probably only worth it with him if you know the next combo will stun.

Red Focus on its own can also be nice for some corner pressure if the other guy's not expecting it.

Grakl

pretty much have gouken's c.lp st.lp c.lpxxhk tatsu down and hitting it most of the time, so funny that it works, it's a bitch to execute though

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I used to get serious hate mail back in the day. When HDR was still alive my inbox would look odd without racist/homophobic slurs. I got a few salty messages for rolento but I usually get polite comments for my yang.

zlatko

Banned
I'll be on tonight if anyone part of scrub GAF wants to practice/do matches.

I'm going to practice either Hugo or Rolento. I know zero about either in ultra for combos, etc.

XBL: Outlaw Slevin

Roughly 3.5 hours from now. Send a FR or a message on XBL and we can be terrible together.

Tekniqs

the NaCl from random players on xbl.
endless lobby, beat a guy convincingly twice so I boot him to let another (hopefully better) player get a run. get a message IMMEDIATELY "you're a pussy"

nah brah, you just suck.

GGs xCobalt. I wanted to play more but I'm starving.

Man Hugo mirrors are fun.

And sorry to subject you to my garbage ass Evil Ryu, but I'm dying to learn a shoto.

I was hanging on to those pixels of life like my families life depended on it.

Onemic

ggs karst. that was one long as hell set.

one word of advice for oni though, stop doing those random air dashes unless you're specifically trying to bait a dp for super, otherwise it's worthless and just makes you lose space in neutral.

I also have to say those were some of the smoothest usf4 matches ive had on psn thus far. No getting kicked out randomly, very little lag. Maybe I should try playing online with this again...

Top Bottom