• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

xCobalt

GGs xCobalt. I wanted to play more but I'm starving.

Man Hugo mirrors are fun.

And sorry to subject you to my garbage ass Evil Ryu, but I'm dying to learn a shoto.

I was hanging on to those pixels of life like my families life depended on it.

ggs. My hugo is pretty bad though lol. I stopped putting time into him after a week or so.

zlatko

Banned
Played a few online games tonight. Won a few with Rolento and Cody, but it was against people as bad as me or worse. Glad to see there is still people who love this game and are ass like myself who enjoy playing.

Tried Rolento. Seems solid, but I wasn't having a blast with him like SFxT.

Tried Cody again. I love the improvements. Cross up Foward + HK is great. Could still do some of his basic combos.

Tried Poison. Surprisingly REALLY like this character. Didn't like her in SFxT, but she seems super my style here. I just hate her lack of a real cross up, and her reversal is ass beyond belief. Digging her fireball game though, and her combos are fairly simple to do in training mode from things I tried. I need to get her shoryu fadc into ultra 1 down pat. Crossing under during it can be a pain in the butt.

Messed with Decapre in training mode. Unique and fun, but not for me. I dig to see what pros do with her though.

Elena I don't care and didn't touch. Never will. Nothing about her appeals to me.

Hugo...reason I bought the upgrade. I need his viking outfit before I delve in. The ones who bodied me online made me grin a lot. Dig his move set.

Edit: Alternate outfit question. I had SFxT, but no longer own it. The save data is LONG gone and erased off my drive. Is there any way to still get the viking outfit without buying all of SFxT ?

vulva

Played a few online games tonight. Won a few with Rolento and Cody, but it was against people as bad as me or worse. Glad to see there is still people who love this game and are ass like myself who enjoy playing.

Tried Rolento. Seems solid, but I wasn't having a blast with him like SFxT.

Tried Cody again. I love the improvements. Cross up Foward + HK is great. Could still do some of his basic combos.

Tried Poison. Surprisingly REALLY like this character. Didn't like her in SFxT, but she seems super my style here. I just hate her lack of a real cross up, and her reversal is ass beyond belief. Digging her fireball game though, and her combos are fairly simple to do in training mode from things I tried. I need to get her shoryu fadc into ultra 1 down pat. Crossing under during it can be a pain in the butt.

Messed with Decapre in training mode. Unique and fun, but not for me. I dig to see what pros do with her though.

Elena I don't care and didn't touch. Never will. Nothing about her appeals to me.

Hugo...reason I bought the upgrade. I need his viking outfit before I delve in. The ones who bodied me online made me grin a lot. Dig his move set.

Edit: Alternate outfit question. I had SFxT, but no longer own it. The save data is LONG gone and erased off my drive. Is there any way to still get the viking outfit without buying all of SFxT ?
if you know anyone with a copy, just pop it in to get some save data

Shouta

Man, playing footsies' against Hugo is way more risk online because of the lag and all that. Made the 3rd highest Hugo on PSN hella salty though that he switched to Sim, which is annoying as hell in lag to fight against as T.Hawk, lol.

Shouta

Oh man, I just tested it out but Ken's f+hk is actually -1 on hit but +0 on block, lol. I found out thanks to KojiKOG. Gonna crouch Ken forever with T.hawk, lol.

Gg's bizzybum.

You're reactions on jump ins are top notch, never got any freebies :(

Every time I said to myself on your wakeup that you won't DP.. eat a heavy SRK. Then when I try to bait the DP.. you don't DP.

You seem really lost in the Rose/Ryu matchup though, it doesn't seem that good for Ryu but i'd still say its 5-5.

Also, Shoutouts to Elena's HEALING, shit saved my life countless times lol, also sorry for using Deejay. Dude is pretty much just a training dummy in this version. Thank you based Capcom for nerfing his best footsie tool and making all the shoto match ups harder because of it. THX.

BizzyBum

Gg's bizzybum.

You're reactions on jump ins are top notch, never got any freebies :(

Every time I said to myself on your wakeup that you won't DP.. eat a heavy SRK. Then when I try to bait the DP.. you don't DP.

You seem really lost in the Rose/Ryu matchup though, it doesn't seem that good for Ryu but i'd still say its 5-5.

Also, Shoutouts to Elena's HEALING, shit saved my life countless times lol, also sorry for using Deejay. Dude is pretty much just a training dummy in this version. Thank you based Capcom for nerfing his best footsie tool and making all the shoto match ups harder because of it. THX.

Yeah man, gg's.

I can't stand the Rose matchup. I have a hard time believing that's 5-5 for Ryu. She's like the perfect counter. Absorbs my fireball game for massive meter gain, her buttons in the neutral game stuff anything Ryu has, and dat backdash. I OS sweeped a few times but I'm not consistent enough with it.

I don't know the Elena matchup at all but she is very tricky. Again lots of ways to punish fireballs and her high/low mixup game is tough. I noticed a few times I could stuff her overhead with a well times c.lp or c.mp. And yeah, FUCK that healing nonsense! I want to strangle Capcom for putting something like that into the game. lol

I actually have trouble with DeeJay, too. I just need to remember to stay patient and zone. Any time I get a knockdown I can safe jump him all day though it's harder now with DWU. By the time you used Boxer I started playing pretty bad lol. Barely any TAP punishes, I fucked up my FADC Ultra like 3 times in a row. I just started to get flustered and wasn't reacting to much.

Onemic

Yeah man, gg's.

I can't stand the Rose matchup. I have a hard time believing that's 5-5 for Ryu. She's like the perfect counter. Absorbs my fireball game for massive meter gain, her buttons in the neutral game stuff anything Ryu has, and dat backdash. I OS sweeped a few times but I'm not consistent enough with it.

I don't know the Elena matchup at all but she is very tricky. Again lots of ways to punish fireballs and her high/low mixup game is tough. I noticed a few times I could stuff her overhead with a well times c.lp or c.mp. And yeah, FUCK that healing nonsense! I want to strangle Capcom for putting something like that into the game. lol

I actually have trouble with DeeJay, too. I just need to remember to stay patient and zone. Any time I get a knockdown I can safe jump him all day though it's harder now with DWU. By the time you used Boxer I started playing pretty bad lol. Barely any TAP punishes, I fucked up my FADC Ultra like 3 times in a row. I just started to get flustered and wasn't reacting to much.

I'm pretty sure Blackulae does Yolo heals all day, so I could tell you how to punish it and how to beat her in general as Ryu, but....we Elena players gotta stick together.

I'm pretty sure Blackulae does Yolo heals all day, so I could tell you how to punish it and how to beat her in general as Ryu, but....we Elena players gotta stick together.

46353928.jpg

As a Evil Ryu player(and former Ryu player), I feel the same way as you BizzyBum. She controls space so much better than the Ryu's. Full screen fireball gives her meter or sends your fireball back at you, she space drills safely at mid screen which blows up focus and is very hard to react to, and her normals have more reach than ours. Plus her slide and back dash are annoying as fuck.

The only saving grace about dealing with USF4 Rose is that she has no true reversal now. No more guessing game on wake up, if she does anything else besides back dash she will get blown up for it. Keep going for throws to make her believe that that's all you will do and you can blow up her back dashes with OS sweep or forward fierce(I think that works). Make her sit still and tech then go for over heads or frame traps. I still think the match up is hard, but I find it kind of fun to put her in that situation.

I honestly don't see any reason why Rose players don't go with W Ultra in this version. Wake up Ultra 1 is the only thing that's going to scare people when she's knocked down. Without she's at the mercy of her opponents.

As a Evil Ryu player(and former Ryu player), I feel the same way as you BizzyBum. She controls space so much better than the Ryu's. Full screen fireball gives her meter or sends your fireball back at you, she space drills safely at mid screen which blows up focus and is very hard to react to, and her normals have more reach than ours. Plus her slide and back dash are annoying as fuck.

The only saving grace about dealing with USF4 Rose is that she has no true reversal now. No more guessing game on wake up, if she does anything else besides back dash she will get blown up for it. Keep going for throws to make her believe that that's all you will do and you can blow up her back dashes with OS sweep or forward fierce(I think that works). Make her sit still and tech then go for over heads or frame traps. I still think the match up is hard, but I find it kind of fun to put her in that situation.

I honestly don't see any reason why Rose players don't go with W Ultra in this version. Wake up Ultra 1 is the only thing that's going to scare people when she's knocked down. Without she's at the mercy of her opponents.
Some matchups I go W ultra and other matches I go U2.

I've dealt with her being free on wakeup for a long time, so I'm used to it. I know they sped up U1, but I have yet to check to see the difference. I usually just like having it to take away opponent options.

Brady Games USF4 app finally was updated

-Addresses few minor data corrections (no more +38 on block Fei Long DP?)
-Enhanced U1
-Reduced size of the app

Grakl

so I went to the local weekly for the first time with my gouken and the first time actually playing street fighter in months, learned good things

1. akuma's vortexes are a bitch
2. linking jabs into palms or tatsus feel so good
3. sometimes I shouldn't be pressing buttons
4. sometimes less is more
5. transitioning between ps3 and xbox is ez, no problems with links
6. punishing whiffed moves is fuckin hard when you don't know your own buttons well
7. gouken's focus attack is so god damn slow
8. fuck akuma

was fun

so I went to the local weekly for the first time with my gouken and the first time actually playing street fighter in months, learned good things

1. akuma's vortexes are a bitch
2. linking jabs into palms or tatsus feel so good
3. sometimes I shouldn't be pressing buttons
4. sometimes less is more
5. transitioning between ps3 and xbox is ez, no problems with links
6. punishing whiffed moves is fuckin hard when you don't know your own buttons well
7. gouken's focus attack is so god damn slow
8. fuck akuma

was fun
Now imagine having to fight Akuma when his Demon Flip palm was an overhead.

xCobalt

Gouken's focus attack is pretty good. Depending on the range, you can actually avoid some low attacks (and possibly counter hit people) since his lower hitbox shrinks as he lifts his leg up. He is also one of the very few characters that is neutral after a blocked level 1 FA dash. He gets even more frame advantage after a level 2 focus. A blocked level 2 focus into close stand fierce is a good frame trap against people who love to crouch tech.

Grakl

Gouken's focus attack is pretty good. Depending on the range, you can actually avoid some low attacks (and possibly counter hit people) since his lower hitbox shrinks as he lifts his leg up. He is also one of the very few characters that is neutral after a blocked level 1 FA dash. He gets even more frame advantage after a level 2 focus. A blocked level 2 focus into close stand fierce is a good frame trap against people who love to crouch tech.

oh yeah, the FA dash forward is so good, I love that it's neutral -- it's really funny that his backdash can be punished, but not his forward dash. I didn't think about it counter-hitting low attacks, and I didn't know there were frame traps after a blocked focus, that's pretty crazy.

Yeah I was about to say.

Both Chun's and Gouken's focus attacks can go to hell.

Rolento's is annoying as well.

Marz

Sorry Rice Eater, I don't know why our connection is always so crappy, we'll have to play on Xbox sometime I really want to get some games in with you.

Sorry Rice Eater, I don't know why our connection is always so crappy, we'll have to play on Xbox sometime I really want to get some games in with you.

I didn't know that you were also on Xbox. Hopefully the games run much better on that platform. But yeah I'd love to get some games. I think we were looking for the same thing in those laggy matches. I was also buffering Ultra when I was close to you, but you wouldn't throw any tigers because I guess you were doing the same thing.

I just got out of the PS3 version and back on the Xbox version. I've been using Xbox for a week now and wanted to try some games on PS3 again but it's just too laggy. I only played green bar connections and they were still laggy so I had enough. I may go back to it sometimes, but I guess it will be mainly to play GAF'ers from now on. Will probably stick to Xbox version and then PC when that comes out.

Is there frame data on the FADCs on block somewhere? I constantly want to do this with Oni but don't know what the data is.

Marz

I didn't know that you were also on Xbox. Hopefully the games run much better on that platform. But yeah I'd love to get some games. I think we were looking for the same thing in those laggy matches. I was also buffering Ultra when I was close to you, but you wouldn't throw any tigers because I guess you were doing the same thing.

I just got out of the PS3 version and back on the Xbox version. I've been using Xbox for a week now and wanted to try some games on PS3 again but it's just too laggy. I only played green bar connections and they were still laggy so I had enough. I may go back to it sometimes, but I guess it will be mainly to play GAF'ers from now on. Will probably stick to Xbox version and then PC when that comes out.

Yea I'm on Xbox, its just my brothers so for convenience I play on PS3.

I'm honestly just scared to throw shots against Evil Ryu because one jump in or one focus dash in and I eat like 400 dmg into a mixup. You seemed to be content to play the fireball war though so I started throwing more.

I'm getting the PC version as well.

El Sloth

Banned

Eh, can't say I agree with Wultra being the go to option every time. Maybe other Rose players will disagree with me, but I think U2 is still her best bet for most matchups. Yeah, she can get thrown out of her ex drill now (fuck you for not letting me be braindead, Capcom!) but it's not like that's the end of the world. Rose players aren't dumb (maybe), they know people will begin going for throws on wakeup more now and adjust accordingly. And the extra damage does help. And for matchups where I think U1 will be more useful (any of the grapplers, Adon, etc.) I rather go for U1 over Wultra the majority of the time because I want the damage. Especially against the grapplers and their high health. Although I do use Wultra against Adon's who are less impatient than usual. Wultra is also decent for impatient Decapres.

Anyways, I was trying to originally say that I don't think she's completely helpless without the option of wakeup ultra.

I was only going to play like 20 minutes of ultra at my friends place yesterday but then I picked up Hugo for shits and gigs and something happened... 3 hours passed and now I want to main him or make him my secondary. I feel dirty.

...really!? :D

Yes, like I said without U1 she has no reversal whatsoever. When you knock her down and go for a throw, she can't do anything to beat that. Only thing she can do is back dash. Just make sure your throws are meaty because if they're timed poorly she can beat it with cl. MK. And when they know that you know this, they will become more predictable and you can start punishing back dashes or go for frame traps/tick throws.

Sloth/Mango, I don't play Rose so I don't understand the character that well. But just the thought of not having anything whatsoever to scare my opponents into backing off when I'm knocked down seems like a scary position to be in.

BTW, I played this Rose player a few days ago, I played him twice and lost both in close matches. But I guess it was because I was so convinced that all he would do is EX drill me because that's what I was so use to in AE 2012 and before. When I got knockdowns, I kept going for throws and I landed a lot at first. Then he kept back dashing and I let him get away with it because I kept thinking "he's going to EX drill this time, I just know it, they always do it". Next time I'll change it up when I feel I've scared them enough to stop using EX drill.

ggs Cobalt.

That matchup really doesn't seem to good for Gouken. Just by having Dudley's U1 stocked it feels like the pace of the match goes in my favour since you can't zone me safely.

xCobalt

ggs Cobalt.

That matchup really doesn't seem to good for Gouken. Just by having Dudley's U1 stocked it feels like the pace of the match goes in my favour since you can't zone me safely.

Yeah, its not that great but I could have definitely played better. Every time I tried to aa you with ex tatsu, I would always get st.mk for some reason and pretty much lost the round if that happened.

Top Bottom