• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Blanka is too fast for Hugo. I say it's even or alittle on Blanka's side.

Sometimes their speed works against them, and they end up just doing stuff that Hugo can catch/punish really easily. For example, I've noticed a lot of Blanka players like to constantly neutral jump in front of you like crazy looking for things to combo into electricity or something. Just EX backbreak them out of their shenanigans or use Hugo's c.mk to sweep them out of electricity if they're trying to scare you with it up close.

If they're going hop-tastic on you then try doing hcb kicks. I've found it'll either come out as EX wall throw or clothesline, both of which seem to work. This is especially useful if they're trying to confuse you on wakeup.

I struggle much more with a careful, turtley Blanka player, as I still have trouble choosing when to make my moves.

Onemic

ggs direct.

Anyone know which characters that Yun loses to besides grapplers?

Definitely shouldn't be using Cody's sweep as a punish option. His cr.lk has just as much range and has 3f startup. Cody is able to punish a lot of stuff that the rest of the cast can't with his cr.lk alone.

cr.lk doesnt go far enough either. I don't play Cody, never knew his cr.lk had just as much range as his sweep

Edit: scratch that, yes it can. I guess its still a slight adv for Elena, just because if you get the life lead its rather easy to keep it

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Yang's tenshin may not be the fastest but man people's defense crumbles if you land it once into a combo. Dudes start mashing like like they're in a potato factory.

Onemic

Yang's tenshin may not be the fastest but man people's defense crumbles if you land it once into a combo. Dudes start mashing like like they're in a potato factory.

the best is when you get a combo into slashes, and you fadc into a cmd throw rest. People start going crazy after that

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
the best is when you get a combo into slashes, and you fadc into a cmd throw rest. People start going crazy after that

The options man the options. I really went in the lab and worked on some block strings and dive kick setups/ resets. Crazy how just a few adjustments improved my win ratio exponentially. Once I got the tenshin timing down I realized how strong Yang would be in the hands of someone who was a real execution monster.

zlatko

Banned
IT happened! I felt sweet satisfaction and got giddy:

I beat someone online with my god awful Poison, and I heard him yell on his headset, "FUCKING GARBAGE POISON. YOU SUCK!"

trollface.jpg

I don't disagree that I suck, but him losing to me felt even sweeter. :)

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
IT happened! I felt sweet satisfaction and got giddy:

I beat someone online with my god awful Poison, and I heard him yell on his headset, "FUCKING GARBAGE POISON. YOU SUCK!"

trollface.jpg

I don't disagree that I suck, but him losing to me felt even sweeter. :)

Man, for all the complaining people do about PSN I'm kinda glad we don't have in-built mics/headsets.

I enjoy that silent rage.

Endless with randoms is pointless. I'll win 5 straight, then soon as they win one game they leave.
As much as Mike Ross claims there is no new people in Ultra, I've played a ton of random players who just jump HK, random focus, random srk... >_< Hopefully they all go away soon so I don't have to tread through them in endless.

Endless with randoms is pointless. I'll win 5 straight, then soon as they win one game they leave.
Well they did beat you once after you beat them 5 times, so therefore, they're better than you. They just don't wanna waste their time with scrubs, y'know?

Sometimes I have to look in the mirror and remind myself just how free I am. I might body someone like 8 matches in a row, but if they switch to their "main" and beat me once, I just have to realize that I am the inferior player.

Tansut

Man, I forgot how much of a curse hitting B rank is. It's a proud moment followed by nothing but getting bodied over and over to let you know how little that achievement means and how free you really are.

Edit: But then you perfect a Hugo in the first round and then you see a "lost connection to player" message and you don't feel as bad.

Onemic

Man, I forgot how much of a curse hitting B rank is. It's a proud moment followed by nothing but getting bodied over and over to let you know how little that achievement means and how free you really are.

Edit: But then you perfect a Hugo in the first round and then you see a "lost connection to player" message and you don't feel as bad.

PSN? Lost connection to player usually means that it has something to do with the network rather than the player. And usually that perfect meant nothing because the player wasnt really controlling the character you just bodied :p

Tansut

PSN? Lost connection to player usually means that it has something to do with the network rather than the player. And usually that perfect meant nothing because the player wasnt really controlling the character you just bodied :p
Oh no, he was totally in control that first round. And the connection was fine to boot. Dude just yanked the plug.

Let me have this....

vg260

Once I hit B, I'm moving on to a new character.

vulva

what was his name?

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member

You gotta put your logic on hold when playing Endless (or online in general). There could be any number of people or situations on the other end that you can't know. Y'already got the moral victory plus the 5 real victories - just live and let live. Best thing to do is swallow that meaningless L and find another sparring partner.

I enjoy Endless for quick practice sessions with randoms, because there's no responsibility (so you gotta understand it's the same for them). Sometimes you get someone who'll go like 10 matches with you, win or lose, which is pretty great.

So...is PSN still fucking up on KoF XIII levels of "hell no"?

Dunno about you guys and your AOL connections, but PSN is usually pretty sturdy over here in the J-pan. Maybe more people play on wired, I dunno.

Onemic

You gotta put your logic on hold when playing Endless (or online in general). There could be any number of people or situations on the other end that you can't know. Y'already got the moral victory plus the 5 real victories - just live and let live. Best thing to do is swallow that meaningless L and find another sparring partner.

I enjoy Endless for quick practice sessions with randoms, because there's no responsibility (so you gotta understand it's the same for them). Sometimes you get someone who'll go like 10 matches with you, win or lose, which is pretty great.

Dunno about you guys and your AOL connections, but PSN is usually pretty sturdy over here in the J-pan. Maybe more people play on wired, I dunno.

Well Japan is smaller than California...

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

Japan is a much smaller country with better infrastructure in this regard. It's a lot easier to get all that nice, new, much faster cabling installed in such a smaller area.

Blazing fast connection speeds are definitely something I miss about living over there.

What do you guys think are the top 5 fireball-dodging slides in the game?

What about top 5 fireball-punishing moves?

Just doing research for a potential character change. I noticed M. Bison's EX Scissor Kick is pretty sick at it now.

Just doing research for a potential character change. I noticed M. Bison's EX Scissor Kick is pretty sick at it now.

Hits low and some are Hard Knockdowns.
Hakan's slide
Elena's down forward HK slide
Ibuki's slide and her Kneckbreaker
Sim's has 3 slides.
Rose's

Onemic

ggs hypernima

I still think the MU against cody is at most 5.5 - 4.5 for Elena, but probably 5 - 5. The problem is you're not punishing a lot of very punishable things I was doing to you and that made the matchup a lot easier for me because I didn't have to adjust my gameplan. cody's cr.lk can punish every special I throw at you(exception being a well spaced st.lk xx lk LT). You weren't using that at all, which made the matchup way harder for you than it should be because I was able to turtle you and pressure you with little to no risk whatsoever.

He's fun, why not?

He's boring as fuck to me...at least compared to yang

Slides: Elena, Hakan, Blanka, Rose, Cody/Sim?

Punishes: Dudley U1, Decapre U2, Chun U1, Honda U1, Everything else

Dee Jay's slide used to be.... ;_;
:-/

Hits low and some are Hard Knockdowns.
Hakan's slide
Elena's down forward HK slide
Ibuki's slide and her Kneckbreaker
Sim's has 3 slides.
Rose's
What makes Blanka's not worthy of top 5 to you?

Slides: Elena, Hakan, Blanka, Rose, Cody/Sim?

Punishes: Dudley U1, Decapre U2, Chun U1, Honda U1, Everything else
Er, I should have been more specific, but I meant non-Ultras and supers. I was thinking about things more like Akuma's Demon Flip.

Stantron

Hi all. Just a heads up that greenmangaming has Ultra SFIV pre order on PC for $30 - 25% voucher code on the homepage (0DGPMZ-PIFWMK-FJDYRG) which would bring it down to $22.5. LINK
Gonna double dip and buy when I get home.

Top Bottom