• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

CO_Andy

Hi all. Just a heads up that greenmangaming has Ultra SFIV pre order on PC for $30 - 25% voucher code on the homepage (0DGPMZ-PIFWMK-FJDYRG) which would bring it down to $22.5.
Tanks. Was going to just pay for the $15 upgrade, but this is cheap enough for me to bite.

What do you guys think are the top 5 fireball-dodging slides in the game?

What about top 5 fireball-punishing moves?

Just doing research for a potential character change. I noticed M. Bison's EX Scissor Kick is pretty sick at it now.

Speaking as Sim when I'm chucking fires and not thinking:

Slides in no particular order:
Blanka Slide
Elena Slide

Moves in no order either:
Hugo EX Lariat
Ibuki Neckbreaker
Cody EX Ruffian Kick
Hakan EX Oil Slide
Dictator EX Scissors
Abel U1
Seth U1
Dudley U1
EX Blanka ball as long as you're sure it kills your opponent

edit: forgot about Duds' U1

Speaking as Sim when I'm chucking fires and not thinking:

Slides in no particular order:
Blanka Slide
Elena Slide

Moves in no order either:
Hugo EX Lariat
Ibuki Neckbreaker
Cody EX Ruffian Kick
Hakan EX Oil Slide
Dictator EX Scissors
Abel U1
Seth U1
Dudley U1
EX Blanka ball as long as you're sure it kills your opponent

edit: forgot about Duds' U1
As a Dhalsim player, why don't you list some of the ones listed below?

Just trying to learn and understand. Thank you for the information, everyone.

Slides: Elena, Hakan, Blanka, Rose, Cody/Sim?

Punishes: Dudley U1, Decapre U2, Chun U1, Honda U1, Everything else

Hits low and some are Hard Knockdowns.
Hakan's slide
Elena's down forward HK slide
Ibuki's slide and her Kneckbreaker
Sim's has 3 slides.
Rose's

cHaotix8

Dudley's duck/ex duck is one of the best fireball punishes in the game. Cody's bingo is good too. I would nominate ex duck as one of the best moves in the game period though lol.

xCobalt

E2ZDynk.gif

Gouken's ex tatsu ain't bad against fireballs. This was in AE and in ultra his ex tatsu has a bit more range.

As a Dhalsim player, why don't you list some of the ones listed below?

Just trying to learn and understand. Thank you for the information, everyone.

Hmm, seems I listed most of those save for:
Chun U1
Decapre U2
Honda U1
Rose Slide

When Chun gets ultra meter, I stop chucking fireballs. Same with Abel.

Honda U1 in my matches against him haven't factored heavily. I'm trying to recall some matches with Kevo if this happened often.

Decapre's still new, but I've only come across 1 player so far that was pulling off U2 punishes on fireballs. Good ultra punish.

Against rose, I find that we're both trying to zone each other a long distances. If she's close enough to punish my fireball with a slide, I'm not doing something right. Hmmm thinking of Rose, does U1 punish fireballs well?

Of the new Characters, that damn elena slide and ex lariat from hugo are annoying as heck. Gotta condition myself to react to those properly.

EX run moves aren't bad, either, thinking of Fuerte and Guy.

Chun U1
Decapre U2
Honda U1
Rose Slide

Honda U1 in my matches against him haven't factored heavily. I'm trying to recall some matches with Kevo if this happened often.

Decapre's still new, but I've only come across 1 player so far that was pulling off U2 punishes on fireballs. Good ultra punish.

Against rose, I find that we're both trying to zone each other a long distances. If she's close enough to punish my fireball with a slide, I'm not doing something right. Hmmm thinking of Rose, does U1 punish fireballs well?

Of the new Characters, that damn elena slide and ex lariat from hugo are annoying as heck. Gotta condition myself to react to those properly.

Where does Oni's EX Demon Slash rate for you?

xCobalt

Stop peddling Gouken. The less I see of that buff ass old man, the better.

Now that you mention it, ever since Ultra I haven't seen much gouken players online. They might have moved on to Dudley thanks to Smug.

Gouken's EX Rush punch is FB invincible too, right?

His medium and fierce palm are are fb invincible too. There's a bit of startup before the invincibility kicks in though.

Where does Oni's EX Demon Slash rate for you?

For me personally, it's not high on the list of moves that punish my errant fireballs. Whether this is due to the low quality of the Oni players I've faced or not is up for debate.

Things have changed over the amount of time I've played, though. Early on, I'd get hit with Ryu Tatsus often before I tried switching up my pattern of chucking fireballs. Same goes with EX fireballs of course. There are just some moves that just make me take notice and stop throwing (Chun U1, Abel U1). Other moves like slides and specials I know I should be more mindful of, but I end up taking more risks being lose with throwing fireballs, and I live with the consequences. I'm surprised they didnt' give Yun projectile invulnerability for his lunge punch. He definitely needed more and better options to get in.

xCobalt

hm, didn't know they were similar like that.

They're not similar. It just seems like people flock to characters that are popular on streams. For awhile, I always ran into Gouken and Oni most likely due to Infiltration and Wao. Now Dudley's all the craze.

They're not similar. It just seems like people flock to characters that are popular on streams. For awhile, I always ran into Gouken and Oni most likely due to Infiltration and Wao. Now Dudley's all the craze.
Very true.

The amount of Dudley players and Evil Ryu players is kinda ridiculous right now.

Though I hopped on the Evil Ryu bandwagon as well.

Marz

Fireballs are pretty ass in SF4. Don't know why that would factor into character change.

Almost every character has a million ways around fireballs. Best character in the game for getting around fireballs is Adon IMO. Fast walkspeed, mk jaguar kick, ex jaguar kick, IAJK, Ultra 1, and a retarded good jump arc.

Then you got characters that actually get more dangerous when you throw fireballs at them like Rose.

Ibuki EX neckbreaker is retarded too because that can mean the game is over lmao.

Vice

Chun U1
Decapre U2
Honda U1
Rose Slide

Rose's U1 can punish fireballs but I've had mixed results. It comes out slow so faster fireballs will knock her out of it before it connects with the opponent.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I remember there was a SFIV site for matchups. You basically pick a character and then another character and there will be videos loaded with them against each other from tournaments, online replays, etc. It was pretty extensive and covered everything. Doesn't look like it exists anymore. We need a site like that.

And going by the latest videos of Daigo's Evil Ryu, I am not impressed. It doesn't look anywhere near Sako's level and that was without the Ultra buffs. And would not beat Ken's Momochi during SEAM. I am not confident in Daigo getting far yet alone win EVO if he doesn't step it up.

Onemic

I remember there was a SFIV site for matchups. You basically pick a character and then another character and there will be videos loaded with them against each other from tournaments, online replays, etc. It was pretty extensive and covered everything. Doesn't look like it exists anymore. We need a site like that.

Closest thing to that is this

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
The site was way better than that but yeah it is something like that.

Pick a character and pick another character and all available videos in existence, high level at least, of the matchup will pop up. And it didn't link to YT, all of the videos were embedded on the site. And there was also stats about the matchup.

sqwarlock

Just downloaded the free SSFIV:AE on Xbox Live (had to create a new account for a free month of XBL to get it), and I want to upgrade to Ultra. I'd have to use my new gamertag to buy it, but I'll only do it if I can use my "main" gamertag and still access the Ultra content. Anyone know if this will be a problem for me.

Dubz

Maybe not the right thread, but I'm playing AE on PC. Hit me up on Steam, my GT is MoonWizard. I play as my avatar...6100 BP and 2200 PP. I'm a middle of the road Blanka.

xCobalt

The site was way better than that but yeah it is something like that.

Pick a character and pick another character and all available videos in existence, high level at least, of the matchup will pop up. And it didn't link to YT, all of the videos were embedded on the site. And there was also stats about the matchup.

Wasn't it FADC?

And going by the latest videos of Daigo's Evil Ryu, I am not impressed. It doesn't look anywhere near Sako's level and that was without the Ultra buffs. And would not beat Ken's Momochi during SEAM. I am not confident in Daigo getting far yet alone win EVO if he doesn't step it up.

I've been reading a lot of comments saying they find Daigo's Evil Ryu to be boring, disappointing, or not as good as his Ryu. Personally I prefer Sako's more mix up style of ERyu compared to Daigo's purely fundamentals ERyu. But man you have to consider that he beat Gachikun without jumping forward once.

He almost never has to worry about people FADC'ing or sneaking a reversal through his low forward > fireball now. Which is probably the main reason why he is playing Evil Ryu this way. If he can beat his opponents on the ground the way he's doing it right now then why jump and why do anything else besides dominate with zoning and footsies.

All his matches won't look this way though. He had to change it up against the Gouken player because Evil Ryu can't bully Gouken the same way he could with Sagat. I think he has a very good chance of winning EVO this year. He finally has a character that can dish out huge damage playing the game more grounded like he has always played before with Ryu and always made top 8 at EVO with. And the mix ups will always be there if he ever wants to use them.

Dubz

I've been reading a lot of comments saying they find Daigo's Evil Ryu to be boring, disappointing, or not as good as his Ryu. Personally I prefer Sako's more mix up style of ERyu compared to Daigo's purely fundamentals ERyu. But man you have to consider that he beat Gachikun without jumping forward once.

He almost never has to worry about people FADC'ing or sneaking a reversal through his low forward > fireball now. Which is probably the main reason why he is playing Evil Ryu this way. If he can beat his opponents on the ground the way he's doing it right now then why jump and why do anything else besides dominate with zoning and footsies.

All his matches won't look this way though. He had to change it up against the Gouken player because Evil Ryu can't bully Gouken the same way he could with Sagat. I think he has a very good chance of winning EVO this year. He finally has a character that can dish out huge damage playing the game more grounded like he has always played before with Ryu and always made top 8 at EVO with. And the mix ups will always be there if he ever wants to use them.

As a Daigo fan, I hope that he brings it this Evo. I am going as a spectator, and the last time I went he beat Ricky Ortiz in a classic battle.

Top Bottom