• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

jacobs34

40 characters and not a single Dictator among 'em.

I feel so unique.

I've actually switched from mostly playing Balrog to Dictator in Ultra, I've always played them both a lot (along with Guile) but there is something about Dictator in Ultra that makes him seem a lot better. I have not dug into the balance changes yet, but I really like him in this game.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I get the dive kicks, but I have played plenty of Blankas and never felt annoyed. Dude has generally felt pretty free.

You should get PC version some time. I would show you my Blanka. No character gets people more pissed off than Blanka. Sometimes it's a psychological thing, beat them before the game even begins.

Onemic

Is it me or is Blanka generally pretty free to crossups if he doesnt have Ultra 2 stocked?

GG's Onemic.

Your Yun was pretty legit.

ggs

Thanks, but my Yun in AE2012 is ass cheeks imo. So far I'd actually say Elena is my most solid character, mostly because I autopilot the absolute least with her. Too bad we gotta wait another month till Ultra drops for PC.

Dubz

Electricity fucks up cross ups. But your instant dive kicks with Yub were getting in before I could get electricity. Vertical balls were also stuffing akuma dive kicks pretty easily.

AmyS

Okay, stupid question time again.

So I decided to buy the Ultra update from the PSN digital store for my PS3 disc copy of SSFIV. When I got Super months ago, it of course got updated to Arcade Edition right away.

side note: It took me awhile, but I figured out that Edition Select is only for offline VS matches.

Here's what I don't yet understand, when my Ultra-updated version of SSFIV (AE) boots up, I still see the Super intro movie, but not the Ultra intro movie that I've seen on Youtube: http://youtu.be/aJwKmvUhNDA
Is the Ultra intro only there for those that buy Ultra from scratch on the digital store / Xbox Live ? Or only for the physical release coming in August?

Maybe there's an option I just missed or maybe I'm just stupid question time again.

Okay, stupid question time again.

So I decided to buy the Ultra update from the PSN digital store for my PS3 disc copy of SSFIV. When I got Super months ago, it of course got updated to Arcade Edition right away.

side note: It took me awhile, but I figured out that Edition Select is only for offline VS matches.

Here's what I don't yet understand, when my Ultra-updated version of SSFIV (AE) boots up, I still see the Super intro movie, but not the Ultra intro movie that I've seen on Youtube.

Is the Ultra intro only there for those that buy Ultra from scratch on the digital store / Xbox Live ?

Or only for the physical release coming in August?

Maybe there's an option I missed.

Digital or disc in agt you haven't missed a thing it's normal

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Physical release will be the complete game hence definitive version. I kind of think there will be more things added. Digital release is just to get the game out with the necessities.

Marz

The Adon Chun MU isn't that bad though....ain't it?

Dunno this game hasn't even been out for a month and I haven't really delved into him yet. I think he beat Chun in Ae but traditionally he struggles against charge characters cuz their buttons are better and its hard to open them up with jaguar kicks and stuff cuz they're always blocking.

hypernima

Banned

Mad punishable though, especially if there's no f + mp after, I only do it if the character has zero reversal or if I have a good read.

Dunno this game hasn't even been out for a month and I haven't really delved into him yet. I think he beat Chun in Ae but traditionally he struggles against charge characters cuz their buttons are better and its hard to open them up with jaguar kicks and stuff cuz they're always blocking.

AJK helps a tiny bit, but you gotta be really on point in this MU.I hate the hell out of Adon though, my friend plays him so I'm just condition to only beat that one style of play.

Blanka balls and hop crossups can be a pain in the ass to deal with. Fuerte and Blanka are so annoying to fight in lag.

Ibuki is just an annoying piece of shit period.
Never fought a good Ibuki. Actually, I think I have only faced like half of the cast period. Shoutouts to Beef for playing all the grapplers so I can cross them off.

You should get PC version some time. I would show you my Blanka. No character gets people more pissed off than Blanka. Sometimes it's a psychological thing, beat them before the game even begins.
My PC is mega ass, remember? I can't even watch your stream.

If you have anything for me to see outside of that T SRAI video, I would definitely watch it.

Is it me or is Blanka generally pretty free to crossups if he doesnt have Ultra 2 stocked?

ggs

Thanks, but my Yun in AE2012 is ass cheeks imo. So far I'd actually say Elena is my most solid character, mostly because I autopilot the absolute least with her. Too bad we gotta wait another month till Ultra drops for PC.
If there is a solution to the crossup hell, I want to know. :( I don't even see the top Blanka players antiairing stuff, just running away. Makes me worry.

Electricity fucks up cross ups. But your instant dive kicks with Yub were getting in before I could get electricity. Vertical balls were also stuffing akuma dive kicks pretty easily.
How do you get the electricity off in time though? The fact that a normal has to come out first makes it pretty sketchy for me.

Actually, if you and Onemic want to do matches against his Elena where you show me how to resolve that situation, I would grow a lot from it.

MIMIC

Banned
Is it me or have wake-ups in general been delayed (not accounting for the new game mechanic)? Seems like every time I knock someone down, it takes just a HAIR longer for them to get up and I've had to slightly modify my timing. For my character, it makes cross-ups a bit easier (ironically).

Or maybe I'm just going crazy (before Ultra, I hadn't played online a couple of months, IIRC)

xCobalt

Doesn't blanka have like a 3 frame anti air? That one backflip move. Not sure what the proper range for that move is though

Robot Pants

You know I really wished they had done away with Ranked Matches and went back to Player Matches and Championship mode.
Championship mode was the best.

I just wanna practice but not sit in an endless lobby for four hours waiting on 4 other people.
I wanna just play and practice quick player matches without having any stupid points involved.

Also if possible, Combofiend, take Guy out of the game.

Thanks.

Is it me or have wake-ups in general been delayed (not accounting for the new game mechanic)? Seems like every time I knock someone down, it takes just a HAIR longer for them to get up and I've had to slightly modify my timing. For my character, it makes cross-ups a bit easier (ironically).

Or maybe I'm just going crazy (before Ultra, I hadn't played online a couple of months, IIRC)

nope. there's dwu setups for ibuki too :p

I just fought a dude that sent me a message that said "you need to fight with some fucking honor. It's people like you that make this game not fun"

I'm using Hugo.....

..... HOW MUCH MORE HONORABLE CAN I FUCKING BE?!?!

Not to mention he was using Chun, Guile, and Ryu.

Sentinel, you need to shut him up with one o' dees.

Doesn't get much more honourable than that.

Anyway, don't listen to folk like that. Hugo is a beautiful human being.
Haha, the salt just makes me laugh. I actually love getting hate mail, but some of it is just mind boggling.

Like when someone says I'm cheap, or using cheap tactics, yet they're using Cammy :|

...I can't even

Evil Ryu's combos are tough to muscle memorize... is the medium axekick -> crouching light punch a 1 frame link? For some reason I have a really hard time to find a visual/audio cue for the correct timing. Having kind of a hard time with the cr.lp -> st.mp link too, the timing is way earlier than I always expect it.

rCIZZLE

Is there any issues using a PS3 TE on PC? I'm thinking about making the switch to PC when Ultra releases since PSN is fucking garbage.

Does anyone have and ideas for pressuring Elena as Dan? His lk.dankick whiffs completely if she's crouching and is hugely punishable.

General Vs Elena advice (what can be punished etc) would also be welcome. She's tricky!

Spuck-uk

Banned
Evil Ryu's combos are tough to muscle memorize... is the medium axekick -> crouching light punch a 1 frame link? For some reason I have a really hard time to find a visual/audio cue for the correct timing. Having kind of a hard time with the cr.lp -> st.mp link too, the timing is way earlier than I always expect it.

mk axekick, cr.lp is a 2 frame link, doing mk axekick into cr.mp is 1-frame

It's a 2f link, the mk axe kick into cr. MP is a 1f link. Their is a visual and audio cue for that link. The visual cue is to hit your button when the dust completely dissipates. The audio cue is waiting for Evil Ryu to finish his grunt. I personally find it easier to concentrate on the visual cue, plus you may find yourself in a tournament without headphones and it's loud as hell in there so you can't hear anything anyways.

As for the cr.LP into far MP link, it's also a 1f link but isn't that hard once you figure out the timing. It's a rhythm combo so it'll be easier to learn since your pressing one button after another in quick succession.

Top Bottom