• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Xcobalt damn what a whoopin bro i take my hat off.. Me I'll stay free GG's lol gotta go do errands but I'll def hit you up if I see you online =] * ps earlier was a phone call not salt lol xD

Onemic

You're asking a very bad Rufus player. :)

IMO, though... Ibuki lacks the defensive options and normals to really counteract Rufus properly, so I think it's a good match for Rufus. However, if Rufus gets caught and knocked down, it's hard for Rufus. So Rufus's goal in the match is to play it safe, press advantage in terms of footsies and neutral pressure, and play smart once they're in so they don't get caught by EX upkicks. Ibuki has to sniff out KD opportunities, harry Rufus, then really, really press the advantage once Rufus is knocked down.

yooo dat avy lmao

alstein

He'll need to be on super point then. I've played excellent Ibuki, Cammy, and Vipers. I also have played against top-tier Gens, so I'm quite used to setups. =o

Thanks for the scouting info!

How does Hawk deal with Gen? The last tourney I went to, I got blown up by Gen when I used Hawk. My Rose didn't do any better though.

I feel sorry for Hugo players he gets beat by the simplest of normals, however once he goes in the damage is insane but hey rule number one do not jump in on Hugo lol

xCobalt

Xcobalt damn what a whoopin bro i take my hat off.. Me I'll stay free GG's lol gotta go do errands but I'll def hit you up if I see you online =] * ps earlier was a phone call not salt lol xD

ggs man. It wasn't free haha. I think the main thing you gotta work on are combos. If you manage to hit cr.lk with ken, you can convert into a pretty decent combo.

yooo dat avy lmao

I'm happy I finally got over myself enough to make this avatar, everyone loves it. :D

lol thats how i see it too fsp. thanks anyways.

I wish I could link you USF4 videos of F.Word and Andreas playing - those two played each other loads back in Super and AE thanks to Winner Stays On.

As it stands you're probably best of hunting down a good Rufus player to practice against, or get a friend to pick up the character. Honestly he's not too hard, but a lot of people don't play him because he has a critical 1f link and it is incredibly frustrating to lose as him.

At the moment I'm learning about some critical footsie and adaption techniques that I've not really touched on until now. It is really quite crazy how deep the mind-game rabbit hole goes in this game. There is a huge amount of thinking you need to do mid-match to make the right calls. Even just learning to actually outplay someone (rather than outmatchup them, outpoke them, outrushdown them...) takes a lot of time.

Onemic

I'm happy I finally got over myself enough to make this avatar, everyone loves it. :D

I wish I could link you USF4 videos of F.Word and Andreas playing - those two played each other loads back in Super and AE thanks to Winner Stays On.

As it stands you're probably best of hunting down a good Rufus player to practice against, or get a friend to pick up the character. Honestly he's not too hard, but a lot of people don't play him because he has a critical 1f link and it is incredibly frustrating to lose as him.

Did you ever get to face Gandhi again after Dreamhack?

Did you ever get to face Gandhi again after Dreamhack?

Nope. The dude is a PC gamer (and a Civ 4 fan, hence his name and hence my avatar) from Jersey (a small island quite far south in the English Channel) - I don't think he actively plays fighting games. And I wouldn't be surprised if the reaction to his first FGC event left him a bit sour or something.

Yep. It's because it's a win-win in many people's eyes - they get to avoid throws and thanks to lag, they have a good chance of throwing you out of your pressure even if you were positive on the divekick. Double-tap your follow-up button to give yourself more inputs to capitalize on your frame advantage, or take advantage of your opponent pressing buttons by doing something that punishes their OS or grab. Avoid for going for disadvantageous divekicks in general, offline or online. The Footsie Handbook puts it well - to paraphrase, if the only reason you're jumping is to try and land a combo, then you're jumping into a DP.

One thing to note - smart players will try to make you second-guess doing a double-dive kick by DPing you. They're playing a conditioning game if so, and if you're like me you can't recognise conditioning mid-match. Watch out for bit risky uppercuts off of solid players when you're up close, and consider if they're tring to make you read wrong the next time you come in for some pressure, because you can really punish somebody for their attempt to condition you!

mbpm1

Watch out for bit risky uppercuts off of solid players when you're up close, and consider if they're tring to make you read wrong the next time you come in for some pressure, because you can really punish somebody for their attempt to condition you!

I notice people online like to do this. If I block a DP once, I can expect to have another one coming the next time I get a knockdown. You know, just to make sure.

Onemic

Well I finally decided to mess around with Yun in Ultra and damn has red focus made his dmg/stun absolutely insane. That's not even taking into account EX lunge punch which gives him a get-in-for-free card. Understandable though because Yun couldnt really get in, in AE2012.

With that said imma say fuck it and make Yun my perma alt in Ultra. I was initially thinking Fei, but I dont feel like learning a completely new character and Yun compliments Elenas bad MU's perfectly. Gotta rep dat top tier.

vg260

Yeah some people have a hard time with the concept of "character disadvantages" and how to abuse them.

Similarly, I've had hate mail for having the audacity of (*gasp*) punishing unsafe shit.

An even more simple thing to ask these people is why on earth would I want to let you get in on me where you can destroy me? I really want to ask them to think about that and respond.

Shouta

How does Hawk deal with Gen? The last tourney I went to, I got blown up by Gen when I used Hawk. My Rose didn't do any better though.

A2A him, understand the mix-ups and block them, more or less. It's easier in the current version because of Condor Spire but Gen was more of a problem on the ground for Hawk until USF4. His stuff isn't super oppressive like Ibuki's kunais so you just have to recognize what he'll do from there. He has really low life too so just a few hits will whittle him away fast.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Lol @ Elena in general. I feel terrible for you guys. Everything she does looks like its being done in a pool of molasses.

Lol @ Elena in general. I feel terrible for you guys. Everything she does looks like its being done in a pool of molasses.
Why? She's a good character. JWong probably would have won CEO if not for that lulzy ending to his match against Infiltration.

I do wish some of her animations were sped up. That triple kick feels so long every time I get hit by it. -_-

Though I was playing with Gen in training mode, and man, you can stretch his antiair out for a good 5 seconds.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Why? She's a good character. JWong probably would have won CEO if not for that lulzy ending to his match against Infiltration.

I do wish some of her animations were sped up. That triple kick feels so long every time I get hit by it. -_-

Though I was playing with Gen in training mode, and man, you can stretch his antiair out for a good 5 seconds.

I dont know if she's a good character or not. I just feel guilty when any button i press against her is a counter hit and interrupts anything she does.

OceanBlue

I play him occasionally. Zeus picking Bison every once in a while made me realize they're not that different lol.

What do you think the similarities and differences are? I feel like I don't have a good understanding on what either character wants to do in most matchups.

I asked this in the e.Ryu forums but I might as well ask you as well, do you know what MU's e.Ryu loses?

I think his 2 worse match ups are Rose, Ibuki. I think he also has a bunch of match ups that are slightly against him like Gouken, Cammy, Dhalsim, Juri, Adon, and Viper. Even if he's considered top tier, he doesn't get to bully most of the cast like past top tiers. Same goes for Yun who Daigo considers in his own class. He may be the best, but in no way do I think he's that good.

Onemic

I definitely dont think shes very good at all. I personally think she's low tier. If they fix her hitbox without fixing her glaring issues, she'll probably be bottom.

And Justin only used Elena twice in top 8 and probably would have used Rufus against Momochi.

I think his 2 worse match ups are Rose, Ibuki. I think he also has a bunch of match ups that are slightly against him like Gouken, Cammy, Dhalsim, Juri, Adon, and Viper. Even if he's considered top tier, he doesn't get to bully most of the cast like past top tiers. Same goes for Yun who Daigo considers in his own class. He may be the best, but in no way do I think he's that good.

Thanks for the writeup. I guess it goes to show how balanced ultra is vs other SF incarnations(notably 3S)

Gambit61

What do you think the similarities and differences are? I feel like I don't have a good understanding on what either character wants to do in most matchups.

Mainly just that they're really good at poking from a distance against everyone except Chun. Vega also has access to an okay overhead that reaches pretty far and can get a juggle mixup off df.HK on hit or a CH/throw mixup on whiff. He can also bait ppl with his flips if you know the person you're fighting likes to do things on wakeup.

With Bison I just like to stay at max s.MK, s.MP and s.HP range and get CH damage. If they get in close I stick with c.lk, c.mk to catch them when they're pressing buttons for a free SK or EX PC to get them off. They also both have a good cl.HP after a jump in as a frame trap.

Mainly just that they're really good at poking from a distance against everyone except Chun. Vega also has access to an okay overhead that reaches pretty far and can get a juggle mixup off df.HK on hit or a CH/throw mixup on whiff. He can also bait ppl with his flips if you know the person you're fighting likes to do things on wakeup.

With Bison I just like to stay at max s.MK, s.MP and s.HP range and get CH damage. If they get in close I stick with c.lk, c.mk to catch them when they're pressing buttons for a free SK or EX PC to get them off. They also both have a good cl.HP after a jump in as a frame trap.

i messed around with bison in ae2012 and he has great safe jump setups, most of which are safe against 3 frame dps. i almost considered dropping honda for him back then, but i'm fully on board with decapre (or at least i'm going to grind ranked with her until i get to 10k bp, something i never did with honda in super/ae/2012).

Gambit61

i messed around with bison in ae2012 and he has great safe jump setups, most of which are safe against 3 frame dps. i almost considered dropping honda for him back then, but i'm fully on board with decapre (or at least i'm going to grind ranked with her until i get to 10k bp, something i never did with honda in super/ae/2012).

I need to look into that. I usually play really defensive with him when the person I'm fighting lets me.

Depstar thanks for the matches killer mak and sick bison , Meanwhile me stay free xD lol ggs Gaf is full of beasts how will I get better Jesus I need a break beatings left and right

Deps

Depstar thanks for the matches killer mak and sick bison , Meanwhile me stay free xD lol ggs Gaf is full of beasts how will I get better Jesus I need a break beatings left and right

GGs. I think you need to play more disrespectful with Ken. I rushed you down because you never made me scared. Go hamtaro with some dp's until your opponent respects you.

OceanBlue

Lol I always have trouble with Vega and Bison as Sakura because of those normals. Bison's fs.MK and fs.HK are so good. :<

I was brainstorming after I asked the question, and I just assumed that one of the biggest differences between the two was in how much damage Vega could get off of his df.HK and how Bison had access to a safe chip special. What I was thinking was that Vega wants people to stop pressing buttons so he can walk up to them, while Bison wants people to press buttons or do things to prevent getting chipped.

I don't know how any of this works practically though. I could just be thinking too much about the wrong things (that happens a lot), which is why I asked lol. I just need to play more, since just thinking about things like this probably won't help much. I haven't really thought too hard about having a gameplan before recently, so I've been trying to figure that out. It probably won't help though since I'm not solid enough to stick to it or to adjust. :V

If you're on PSN, and if I ever get off work before 7-8 you can beat on me. I'm pretty bad lol.

GGs. I think you need to play more disrespectful with Ken. I rushed you down because you never made me scared. Go hamtaro with some dp's until your opponent respects you.

I don't wanna come across as a masher guess I'll throw a dp here and there for good measures I'll take that advice to heart, scumbag ken it is

stn

USF4 literally feels like a beta test. Hitbox issues ALL OVER THE PLACE, input bugs galore, glitches in general. Also not a fan of DWU, just makes the game slower and more boring. Now that I've spent enough time with it all my hype is literally gone. Think I'm going back to SFxT and Injustice, both games make much more sense to me.

Rolento especially feels like ass, the worst version of him in any game. His AA isn't dependable at all, which is stupid since he has ZERO defensive options. You might as well just keep jumping at him until you land a lucky hit and start the herp derp. People complain that people just keep rolling with him, which they're doing because he sucks ass. Cr. mk is shit, his rekka is only good for punishing, and he has zero specials that are safe on block. For whatever reason its also difficult to do his stinger attack without an instant release. Awful.

USF4 literally feels like a beta test. Hitbox issues ALL OVER THE PLACE, input bugs galore, glitches in general. Also not a fan of DWU, just makes the game slower and more boring. Now that I've spent enough time with it all my hype is literally gone. Think I'm going back to SFxT and Injustice, both games make much more sense to me.

Rolento especially feels like ass, the worst version of him in any game. His AA isn't dependable at all, which is stupid since he has ZERO defensive options. You might as well just keep jumping at him until you land a lucky hit and start the herp derp. People complain that people just keep rolling with him, which they're doing because he sucks ass. Cr. mk is shit, his rekka is only good for punishing, and he has zero specials that are safe on block. For whatever reason its also difficult to do his stinger attack without an instant release. Awful.

Delta Air Raid and Stinger are both safe on block.

Actually, not only are they safe, they are both extremely positive on block.

xCobalt

I disagree with a lot of what you said but he's still a bad character lol. He has some pretty good anti airs such as standing mp, far hk and close hp. His cr.mk is pretty good I think. The range isn't as good as similar moves but being able to buffer ex patriot circle from it can make it pretty deadly. In regards to Stinger releasing instantly, you're holding the button a bit too long. I forgot the exact frame but the knife can only come out on the 8th or 9th frame. Either release it sooner or keep holding and let negative edge release the knife at the height you prefer. I actually have trouble doing instant releases lol

stn

Ah, yes, you're totally right. I was totally wrong on the safe specials part. Still, he feels incomplete. If Capcom could at least return his AA back to normal I'd be really happy. Its stupid to punish people for reacting to jump-ins properly.

Sigmaah

If anyone wants to play my scrubby ass on XBL add me!

GT is Sigmaah.

Thought I was gonna main Yun but looks like i'm feeling T.Hawk, dunno why but I have fun when I play Hawk lol.

I need tips though, what to do against jumping opponents besides Tomahawk, how do I get in, how do I stop pressure, and what button should I use when I jump in or when I wanna counter hit when someone jumps?

Also, how the fuck can I do raging typhoon easier? can't get double circles out fast or properly enough...

Onemic

Ah, yes, you're totally right. I was totally wrong on the safe specials part. Still, he feels incomplete. If Capcom could at least return his AA back to normal I'd be really happy. Its stupid to punish people for reacting to jump-ins properly.

All the new characters except for Decapre and maybe Poison feel incomplete. Sometimes Ultra feels like a beta test.

Shouta

They could buff Rolento's air moves for better anti-air but buffing his ground anti-airs is a recipe for frustratingly annoying character to play against. Having those kind of AAs in SFxT is kind of understandable because of how wonky all the gameplay systems come together but if he had b+mp in Ultra, no could ever jump against him, lol.

They should do is give him more interesting combos so he can chain in a different number of ways and possibly increase active frames on some of his moves so he has any easier time hitting/AAing folks.

xCobalt

Here's the thing, you're not reacting properly. The only thing that changed in the console version was the number of active frames. They didn't touch the hitbox or startup of it afaik, which is what really matters. With less active frames, it just means the timing is a bit stricter.

They should do is give him more interesting combos so he can chain in a different number of ways and possibly increase active frames on some of his moves so he has any easier time hitting/AAing folks.

I think a good buff would be to make either his far or close hp a command normal. It just sucks attempting to anti air someone with close hp but getting far hp instead. Making the first hit of his patriot circle -2 on block would go a long way too.

leakey

Submitted and DLed Ultra yesterday. About to head home from work and hop on for a while. XBL GT: Leakey88 if anybody wants to get games in :D

cHaotix8

I think elena is mid tier at best. She doesn't really have a good ranged poke with a decent horizontal hitbox. Her damaging combos are too hard to hit for the damage they do. She does'nt deal with focus well either. Almost everything is unsafe on block and her jump is bad. Confirming off a low is a one frame link or requires meter, and even then ex mallet smash is unsafe on block.

What's good is her long range lows, walkspeed and ability to get damage in high low footsies. Also, her focus attack is probably the best in the game now.

I think people will eventually move away from healing as the game evolves except in very specific matchups. Her zoning tools aren't strong enough for it to be a valid strategy on characters with high burst damage. If I was going to change her, I'd give cr lk one more frame of hit and block stun, speed up far hp by like 3 frames and decrease recovery and block stun on mk and hk spin scythe by like 2-3 frames.

Also, just make her dp punch instead of kicks. The overlap of 5 moves makes it hard to get what I want when I go from blocking or walking forward to a special move.

Philian

Neo Member
I recently switched over from Xbox to PC. Completely regretting it because I cannot wait till August. Well, I can... but it sucks.

stn

The reduced active frames on the AA make the timing VERY strict, hence why it trades. If he's going to have an inconsistent AA then he at least needs one "get off me" move. Its no secret that his worst matchups include characters like Yun, Rufus, Yang, Akuma - characters that can pressure him endlessly. His EX roll should also be made safe on block (-1 or -2), its already heavily telegraphed and costs meter.

They should give Rolento back the counter hit far st.mp vs air into full juggle shenanigans that made me love the character at the DHW loc test.

He's certainly a case of over-nerfed.

Robot Pants

Yep. It's because it's a win-win in many people's eyes - they get to avoid throws and thanks to lag, they have a good chance of throwing you out of your pressure even if you were positive on the divekick. Double-tap your follow-up button to give yourself more inputs to capitalize on your frame advantage, or take advantage of your opponent pressing buttons by doing something that punishes their OS or grab. Avoid for going for disadvantageous divekicks in general, offline or online. The Footsie Handbook puts it well - to paraphrase, if the only reason you're jumping is to try and land a combo, then you're jumping into a DP.

This is the most annoying thing ever.
Happened seldom with Seth, but with Yun it happens so much more.
Dat new and improved ULTRA netcode.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth

Don't get discouraged. GAF heads routinely wreck me. I remember when SF4 first dropped and inviting Haunts to play me, thinking I was nice cuz of playing SF for so long. Straight massacre. But I stuck with it, at least until SSF4, and definitely got better overall. Even had a serviceable Gen and Hakan at one point before quitting cold turkey until Ultra. Now I'm going through the same learning process, though its tougher now in that I have less time to devote. Playing people here is still the best practice regardless.

Top Bottom