• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
My first game of the day a hakan player hits me with montage gimmicks and then cuts a promo on me via messaging. This should be a good day..

Onemic

Does anyone have and ideas for pressuring Elena as Dan? His lk.dankick whiffs completely if she's crouching and is hugely punishable.

General Vs Elena advice (what can be punished etc) would also be welcome. She's tricky!

Do you have a sweep that's 7 frames or less or a normal that goes as far as your sweep that's 7 frames or less? If so you can punish almost everything she does on block.

It's a 2f link, the mk axe kick into cr. MP is a 1f link. Their is a visual and audio cue for that link. The visual cue is to hit your button when the dust completely dissipates. The audio cue is waiting for Evil Ryu to finish his grunt. I personally find it easier to concentrate on the visual cue, plus you may find yourself in a tournament without headphones and it's loud as hell in there so you can't hear anything anyways.

As for the cr.LP into far MP link, it's also a 1f link but isn't that hard once you figure out the timing. It's a rhythm combo so it'll be easier to learn since your pressing one button after another in quick succession.

his FADC combo off light axe kick linked to c.lp is also a 1 framer I think

I asked this in the e.Ryu forums but I might as well ask you as well, do you know what MU's e.Ryu loses?

My first game of the day a hakan player hits me with montage gimmicks and then cuts a promo on me via messaging. This should be a good day..

got my first hate mail after losing a game from a Gief player. I was wondering when hate mail after a loss would start...

Do you have a sweep that's 7 frames or less or a normal that goes as far as your sweep that's 7 frames or less? If so you can punish almost everything she does on block.

Ooh, thanks! Everything just looks so unusual it's hard to tell. Dan's sweep is 10 frames or so but his cr.mk should do it, or cr.mp if she's closer. I'll have to mess around in training to get a feel for what her moves look like.

Onemic

Ooh, thanks! Everything just looks so unusual it's hard to tell. Dan's sweep is 10 frames or so but his cr.mk should do it, or cr.mp if she's closer. I'll have to mess around in training to get a feel for what her moves look like.

It pains me to give out her weaknesses, but since you play Dan, I'll do it

EX mallet smash(her overhead) is -4. So you can punish that with a jab/short into whatever
HP mallet smash is -1, so it's safe but you have advantage
Lynx tail is -7 and probably her safest special if properly spaced. You can always attempt to punish though just in case you feel they didnt space it properly
slide is -10 and is pretty much always punishable on block unless their spacing is absolutely perfect
sweep is -16 and is almost always punishable on block unless perfectly spaced
spin scythe(the spin kick) is -7 on block and if spaced properly you can only punish it with a 7 frame or less sweep or normal that goes as far as a sweep.(if your normal or sweep goes as far as a typical shoto sweep that is) If Dan's DP has as much horizontal range as Ken's you can also DP punish it as well

How does anyone with an internet connection get mad at Elena?

Your guess is as good as mine. I fuck up a link against a grappler, easy SPD. I try not to go for EX mallet smash combos against grapplers because of this

If there is a solution to the crossup hell, I want to know. :( I don't even see the top Blanka players antiairing stuff, just running away. Makes me worry.

How do you get the electricity off in time though? The fact that a normal has to come out first makes it pretty sketchy for me.

Other than upball, a lot of Blankas antiairs are situational and trade with a lot of moves. Upball, st. hk, and cr. mp are his best, st. hp and st. lk also work, but are super situational.

As for electricity, the only reason its not used heavily as an anti air is that it can get beat out by more jump ins than you think it would (with the exception of ex electricity).

If you plan on using it, cancel far st. lp into light electricity or ex electricity. Far st. lp is a 3 frame normal, Blankas fastest normal along with st. hk, and light and ex electricity have the fastest startups of 5 frames, where medium has a startup of 7 frames, and heavy has a startup of 10. l, m, h all have 9 frames of recovery, ex has 11. Ex is definitely the best version to use, with the downside being you use a bar, and Blanka preferably needs meter for other things in several of his matchups.

Always glad to see a new Blanka, been maining the goofy green bastard since sf2, I'll do my best to answer any questions about him you might have.

Doesn't blanka have like a 3 frame anti air? That one backflip move. Not sure what the proper range for that move is though

It has great range, its downsides are it trades a lot, and it has mediocre recovery, anyone with a divekick can eat that shit up all day.

EX mallet smash(her overhead) is -4. So you can punish that with a jab/short into whatever
Lynx tail is -7 and probably her safest special if properly spaced. You can always attempt to punish though just in case you feel they didnt space it properly
slide is -10 and is pretty much always punishable on block unless their spacing is absolutely perfect
spin scythe(the spin kick) is -7 on block and if spaced properly you can only punish it with a 7 frame or less sweep or normal that goes as far as a sweep.(if your normal or sweep goes as far as a typical shoto sweep that is) If Dan's DP has as much horizontal range as Ken's you can also DP punish it as well.

You're a good person. I played a decent, cautious Elena last night for the first time (most ranked Elena players I encounter just go wild > use healing > go wild) and she was incredibly difficult to open up. Dan losing his main pressure tool of constant lk.dankicks caused my game to fall apart.

I just fought a dude that sent me a message that said "you need to fight with some fucking honor. It's people like you that make this game not fun"

I'm using Hugo.....

..... HOW MUCH MORE HONORABLE CAN I FUCKING BE?!?!

Not to mention he was using Chun, Guile, and Ryu.
I fought a guy from SRK who gave me and my friends a similar lecture, except he was playing as Hugo and was apparently shocked that we opted to zone him. He said that zoning a grappler was scrubby tactics and such. I told him if he didn't want to get put down range of a fireball game he shouldn't be playing as a grappler.

I went on SRK to see what he was all about and found a very recent one of him posting a video of Daigo and calling him a "typical scumbag Ryu."

Onemic

You're a good person. I played a decent, cautious Elena last night for the first time (most ranked Elena players I encounter just go wild > use healing > go wild) and she was incredibly difficult to open up. Dan losing his main pressure tool of constant lk.dankicks caused my game to fall apart.

If someone does a YOLO heal on you with no cancel you can always punish it. The safest way is to just dash 2 - 3 times and sweep.(Dan might even be able to dash 2 - 3 times and ultra, I'm not sure) Even if the sweep doesnt knock off the amount of health they recovered you get the hard knockdown and potential pressure afterwards, a situation an Elena player pretty much never wants to be in.

spin scythe(the spin kick) is -7 on block and if spaced properly you can only punish it with a 7 frame or less sweep or normal that goes as far as a sweep.(if your normal or sweep goes as far as a typical shoto sweep that is) If Dan's DP has as much horizontal range as Ken's you can also DP punish it as well
Stop telling everyone our weaknesses breh

Onemic

Everyone will forget that post come the next page and say that Elena's cheap again, which is totally fine by me. Lets me get away with mah shit.

Jesus fuck did everyone on the internet get a memo to just mash grab when they see a dive kick?
ya, it's annoying as hell. I odnt know where they got their timing from either because I cant ven grab Yun/Yang out of a bad DK.

This may not work with Yang, but if you think they'll mash grab just do an immediate second DK after the first to blow it up.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Everyone will forget that post come the next page and say that Elena's cheap again, which is totally fine by me. Lets me get away with mah shit.

ya, it's annoying as hell. I odnt know where they got their timing from either because I cant ven grab Yun/Yang out of a bad DK.

This may not work with Yang, but if you think they'll mash grab just do an immediate second DK after the first to blow it up.

Height restriction =/

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I admit that I mash throw off dive kicks.

*hides*

angry+guitar.gif

Is there zero input reading going on during cinematic screens? When you heal I try to input my ultra in response but nothing comes out. Do charges accumulate? Very frustrating because I am losing my charge.

mbpm1

Jesus fuck did everyone on the internet get a memo to just mash grab when they see a dive kick?

I do that. hey, if they did a bad one they're getting thrown.

Is there zero input reading going on during cinematic screens? When you heal I try to input my ultra in response but nothing comes out. Do charges accumulate? Very frustrating because I am losing my charge.

I heard Ultras "eat up" inputs, but charges do accumulate during them.

LakeEarth

I admit that I mash throw off dive kicks.

*hides*

Do one better, mash crouch tech with a third button for the option select tech/anti-air. Mashing crouching lk, lp and hp with Abel got me away from so much Rufus pressure in the past.

Charge builds during cinematics, but it tends to "eat" button presses. This is unlike 3rd Strike or Marvel where, if you press a button during the flash, it's coming out.

To get a reversal, you have to button press in the last second or so of the cinematic. There's a window of time when it'll trigger.

Do one better, mash crouch tech with a third button for the option select tech/anti-air. Mashing crouching lk, lp and hp with Abel got me away from so much Rufus pressure in the past.

Gotta be very careful of tactics like that, because good Rufus players (and me, but I am a crap Rufus) will switch to frame trap setups as soon as they sniff you going for anti-DK OS. Or just stand outside of your OS's range and counterpoke. Or do what I do and get annoyed and EX Messiah you.

vg260

I fought a guy from SRK who gave me and my friends a similar lecture, except he was playing as Hugo and was apparently shocked that we opted to zone him. He said that zoning a grappler was scrubby tactics and such. I told him if he didn't want to get put down range of a fireball game he shouldn't be playing as a grappler.

Hilarious. It's crazy to me at this point in the game people fail to understand why someone would not want to fight a grappler up close, even crazier get upset about it to the point of ragemail.
I turned all messages off so I don't get dumb ones like this.

LakeEarth

Gotta be very careful of tactics like that, because good Rufus players (and me, but I am a crap Rufus) will switch to frame trap setups as soon as they sniff you going for anti-DK OS. Or just stand outside of your OS's range and counterpoke. Or do what I do and get annoyed and EX Messiah you.
Of course, everything has its counter. But its good against guys who double/triple divekick into throw a lot.

Shouta

Your second opponent will likely be a high execution-type (assuming Negus wins)- I recognize him from Skullgirls.
If he plays setup-based he could give you a tough time since you use Hawk.

He'll need to be on super point then. I've played excellent Ibuki, Cammy, and Vipers. I also have played against top-tier Gens, so I'm quite used to setups. =o

Thanks for the scouting info!

hypernima

Banned
How does releasing a button make it the worst move to execute?

Maybe your experiences are different then mines, I get that. But personally for me it never works. I hold zonks all the time, they never come out. I don't know if the input is lost and I don't know if I'm the only one to experience this phenomena.

Myn

How does releasing a button make it the worst move to execute?

Zonk is a little inconsistent for me as well, although the times I try to release it is when I'm usually being pressured. When I let go it just happens to be on the last frames where he's recovering from blockstun or proximity blocking.

Onemic

Anyone here on PSN and plays Vega? I really wanna learn that MU and have no idea how to approach it.

gg's i had to leave early to eat lol

i cant get a read on elena. shes so weird

hurr hurr hurrr

Try not to get too predictable with your fireballs. I was able to slide under them pretty easily. Same with when you decided to walk forward. Also practice blocking HP mallet smash, it's hella slow so I really shouldnt be hitting it with you consistently, it should only be a move that works maybe once every 2-3 rounds or so. Especially so because HP mallet allows her to go into very big dmg/stun dealing combos.

Evil Ryu's combos are tough to muscle memorize... is the medium axekick -> crouching light punch a 1 frame link? For some reason I have a really hard time to find a visual/audio cue for the correct timing. Having kind of a hard time with the cr.lp -> st.mp link too, the timing is way earlier than I always expect it.

In addition to what others have said, if you aren't plinking, you might wanna try that, too. I find that if I plink and miss the MP link, I'll get the LP link instead.

Anyone here on PSN and plays Vega? I really wanna learn that MU and have no idea how to approach it.

hurr hurr hurrr

Try not to get too predictable with your fireballs. I was able to slide under them pretty easily. Same with when you decided to walk forward. Also practice blocking HP mallet smash, it's hella slow so I really shouldnt be hitting it with you consistently, it should only be a move that works maybe once every 2-3 rounds or so. Especially so because HP mallet allows her to go into very big dmg/stun dealing combos.

when i was walking forward, i thought i could block in time =x
i was a late on the malletsmash overhead everytime because i was looking out for her lynx tail, it's something i need to get used to

i just like throwing fb haphazardly

what do you think about ibuki vs rufus?

LakeEarth

Hilarious. It's crazy to me at this point in the game people fail to understand why someone would not want to fight a grappler up close, even crazier get upset about it to the point of ragemail.
I turned all messages off so I don't get dumb ones like this.

Yeah some people have a hard time with the concept of "character disadvantages" and how to abuse them.

Similarly, I've had hate mail for having the audacity of (*gasp*) punishing unsafe shit.

Onemic

when i was walking forward, i thought i could block in time =x
i was a late on the malletsmash overhead everytime because i was looking out for her lynx tail, it's something i need to get used to

i just like throwing fb haphazardly

Thats where the mind games start. s.lk into lynx tail or mallet smash? :p

what do you think about ibuki vs rufus?

You're asking a very bad Rufus player. :)

IMO, though... Ibuki lacks the defensive options and normals to really counteract Rufus properly, so I think it's a good match for Rufus. However, if Rufus gets caught and knocked down, it's hard for Rufus. So Rufus's goal in the match is to play it safe, press advantage in terms of footsies and neutral pressure, and play smart once they're in so they don't get caught by EX upkicks. Ibuki has to sniff out KD opportunities, harry Rufus, then really, really press the advantage once Rufus is knocked down.

Top Bottom