• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

If anyone wants to play my scrubby ass on XBL add me!

GT is Sigmaah.

Thought I was gonna main Yun but looks like i'm feeling T.Hawk, dunno why but I have fun when I play Hawk lol.

I need tips though, what to do against jumping opponents besides Tomahawk, how do I get in, how do I stop pressure, and what button should I use when I jump in or when I wanna counter hit when someone jumps?

Also, how the fuck can I do raging typhoon easier? can't get double circles out fast or properly enough...

Haha, a grappler is the last character I figure you would play. Fortunately for you, Hawk got WAY better in Ultra.

Those first two questions I can't really answer. Most folk don't pressure grapplers, they zone them, though you can just mash out EX Tomahawk if you want, especially if you have another meter for EX condor dive. As for AA's....I dunno. People don't jump in on me all that often, but they should since I can't think of an AA to use other then EX Tomahawk. I occasionally use cl.HK or cl.MP.

Use lp, mp, and EX Condor Spire to get in. They're so good in this game...so good. Very easy to pressure people with Condor Spire. And since it's so fast now, you can purposely whiff it and catch the opponent with a 360. And EX condor spire goes through fireballs.

For jump ins, it depends on what your gameplan is when you land. You going for crossups then use d+HP. Regular jump in I use MK, or HK. You can get tricky and use d+MP because it will completely whiff since it only hits airborne opponents and then land and do a 360/ultra. And that attack stays active for a while, so if they try to jump away they might get hit. Hawk's forward and backward jump Lp is special cancelable, so you can Condor Spire after you hit or they block.

I don't know what to say about his Ultra.....ummm practice it more? When are you messing it up? The only time I have trouble doing it is if I'm standing and trying to do it.....which is hard as fuck and probably why I've only successfully done it like 4 times, and it's not something I would ever try to do during a serious match anyway.

Shouta

Condor Spire is a great AA if they jump at you from far angles when you're playing Hawk. You'll often hit them from below thanks to his hitbox or at least trade. You can also walk back now and hit mp, hp, or hk as they come down for trade/clean AAs if you don't want to be in a position to get pressured.

Onemic

I think elena is mid tier at best. She doesn't really have a good ranged poke with a decent horizontal hitbox. Her damaging combos are too hard to hit for the damage they do. She does'nt deal with focus well either. Almost everything is unsafe on block and her jump is bad. Confirming off a low is a one frame link or requires meter, and even then ex mallet smash is unsafe on block.

What's good is her long range lows, walkspeed and ability to get damage in high low footsies. Also, her focus attack is probably the best in the game now.

I think people will eventually move away from healing as the game evolves except in very specific matchups. Her zoning tools aren't strong enough for it to be a valid strategy on characters with high burst damage. If I was going to change her, I'd give cr lk one more frame of hit and block stun, speed up far hp by like 3 frames and decrease recovery and block stun on mk and hk spin scythe by like 2-3 frames.

I'd agree with this.

Most importantly though, they gotta fix her specials tendencies to whiff in random situations, most notably lynx tail and s.HP. They're almost completely worthless because of this. MK, HK, and EX lynx tail are horribly unreliable against standing opponents making her high low game very weak and s.HP whiffs on pretty much everyone outside of FADC combos. I mean, whats the point of making it special cancellable if it will whiff in pretty much all big punish situations. They might as well make cr.HP special cancellable again if they wont fix s.Hp's terrible hitbox. I'd also make s.mp one hit instead of two. No one uses that thing as an attack to break focus and doing 40dmg as an AA is pretty bad.

I'd also make her EX rhino horn do 100dmg instead of 50 and hit crouchers

I think this applies to Hugo as well, but if Capcom has a way to fix the input priorities in Hugo and Elena's specials that would be much appreciated as well. I shouldnt be getting EX DP when I want an EX rhino horn.

xCobalt

The reduced active frames on the AA make the timing VERY strict, hence why it trades. If he's going to have an inconsistent AA then he at least needs one "get off me" move. Its no secret that his worst matchups include characters like Yun, Rufus, Yang, Akuma - characters that can pressure him endlessly. His EX roll should also be made safe on block (-1 or -2), its already heavily telegraphed and costs meter.

If it trades, you most likely did it too late. I personally don't find the timing very strict. There are times when it trades or get stuffed, but the fault lies with me mistiming it, not necessarily the character design. The last time i checked the active frames on st.mp is on par with other anti airs, maybe one less frame or so.

The reduced active frames on the AA make the timing VERY strict, hence why it trades. If he's going to have an inconsistent AA then he at least needs one "get off me" move. Its no secret that his worst matchups include characters like Yun, Rufus, Yang, Akuma - characters that can pressure him endlessly. His EX roll should also be made safe on block (-1 or -2), its already heavily telegraphed and costs meter.

The timing doesn't seem that strict. I only trade on occasion and it's usually on jump ins that were already a bitch to deal with (Sakura's j.HP...nerfed my ass).

I do wish that they would've kept EX Patriot Circle as invincible. EX roll being -2 would be dope.

I've been having to do stupid shit in order to not get pressured. F+mk has been my best friend in so many situations.

And for the love of god I wish his j. d+mk worked with the diagonals.

Sigmaah

Haha, a grappler is the last character I figure you would play. Fortunately for you, Hawk got WAY better in Ultra.

Those first two questions I can't really answer. Most folk don't pressure grapplers, they zone them, though you can just mash out EX Tomahawk if you want, especially if you have another meter for EX condor dive. As for AA's....I dunno. People don't jump in on me all that often, but they should since I can't think of an AA to use other then EX Tomahawk. I occasionally use cl.HK or cl.MP.

Use lp, mp, and EX Condor Spire to get in. They're so good in this game...so good. Very easy to pressure people with Condor Spire. And since it's so fast now, you can purposely whiff it and catch the opponent with a 360. And EX condor spire goes through fireballs.

For jump ins, it depends on what your gameplan is when you land. You going for crossups then use d+HP. Regular jump in I use MK, or HK. You can get tricky and use d+MP because it will completely whiff since it only hits airborne opponents and then land and do a 360/ultra. And that attack stays active for a while, so if they try to jump away they might get hit. Hawk's forward and backward jump Lp is special cancelable, so you can Condor Spire after you hit or they block.

I don't know what to say about his Ultra.....ummm practice it more? When are you messing it up? The only time I have trouble doing it is if I'm standing and trying to do it.....which is hard as fuck and probably why I've only successfully done it like 4 times, and it's not something I would ever try to do during a serious match anyway.

I know right? lmao. word thanks for the Hawk tips. For Ultra, I can't get it out whether I have a huge opening or whatever. Probs gotta just practice more I guess lol.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Just got a new PC and tried post-Steamworks AE for the first time. Found that I can run the game on the highest settings/resolution when windowed, but the game slows to a crawl and goes down to less than 30 FPS when in full-screen, with v-sync on. Turning off V-sync makes the benchmark jump to 120+ FPS again. Is this a known issue?

Doesn't make a bit of sense lol.

If I'm pressing 3 kicks, I should get an Ultra out.. not a super.

Oh Capccoacmom.
I feel like I'm playing Viper again. I always have to make sure I never have full meter.

Thank goodness they resolved the issue with Viper though.

And why is Elena's hard punch so fucking worthless. I want to delete the button.

Good luck in the struggle Elena players.

Marz

Honestly you probably just need to practice it a bit, Nemo is anti airing everything in this video and its against Dudley's godlike jump attacks:

TRB Replay - Nemo (Rolento) vs. Jinzo (Dudley) - …: http://youtu.be/QwLuFYWwWNU

Dying to jump back into SF after years of absence. Is there a strong chance there will be a current-gen version. I saw Ono's troll post back in February with a DS4, but seems there's been nothing new since aside from the TE2 stick.

Denzel

Are there any Dudley players in here? Let me know. Also wondering if any deejays or bisons would want to play me. If you don't main those characters but still wanna run a set then that's cool too.

North America MidWest btw.

Onemic

Dying to jump back into SF after years of absence. Is there a strong chance there will be a current-gen version. I saw Ono's troll post back in February with a DS4, but seems there's been nothing new since aside from the TE2 stick.

It will be current gen on PS NOW, Kappa

Myn

There's no indication of an Xbone port. However, they advertised SF4 to be played on PS4 through PS Now which is a bad idea, fighting games are one of the last genres anyone would want to stream play. If you're wondering about an SF5, that could take several more years unfortunately.

Are there any Dudley players in here? Let me know. Also wondering if any deejays or bisons would want to play me. If you don't main those characters but still wanna run a set then that's cool too.

What system are you on?
Man I'm playing Makoto and I'm not really having as much fun with her as I used to, and I don't really know why.
Really? She seems like she would be way more fun now with the fukiage buff.

I play DeeJay. On PSN. next week xbox.

I'm on XBL
Alright well maybe we can get some games in sometime.

Let me know your gamertag. I'll have to delete someone first.

And I only pretend to be a Dudley player. I just feel like I should play him since he was my main in 3s. I'm ok with him on occasion. Bison I'm ok with. Deejay is lol.

Denzel

Alright well maybe we can get some games in sometime.

Let me know your gamertag. I'll have to delete someone first.

And I only pretend to be a Dudley player. I just feel like I should play him since he was my main in 3s. I'm ok with him on occasion. Bison I'm ok with. Deejay is lol.

Haha my gt is: ForeGod

Onemic

gatdamn. Red focus into a reset with Yun makes yang's mantis slashes into reset seem like complete shit. Red focus with into a successful crossup reset stuns half of the cast and knocks off over half their health.

gatdamn. Red focus into a reset with Yun makes yang's mantis slashes into reset seem like complete shit. Red focus with into a successful crossup reset stuns half of the cast and knocks off over half their health.
You doing close s.mk to divekick to crossup lp shoulder (into a combo)? I've debated implementing that, but I think if they block the shoulder it's - on block right? because with the crossup lp shoulder after the reset it stuns on most people..
edit: i guess its prob better to do just j.hp rather than a divekick to get more stun..

Onemic

You doing close s.mk to divekick to crossup lp shoulder (into a combo)? I've debated implementing that, but I think if they block the shoulder it's - on block right? because with the crossup lp shoulder after the reset it stuns on most people..
edit: i guess its prob better to do just j.hp rather than a divekick to get more stun..
yup

you'd at least be at -1 and probably even 0 or +1 since you're hitting it within the later active frames.

If you use j.hp and get a successful lp shoulder reset it stuns everyone in the game with 1000 stun or lower and does a total of 590dmg. It also doesn't work on grapplers(Well, it works on hawk, but you cant do the combo that would do over 1000 stun) and is harder to execute. cl.mk into a lk DK is the most reliable version imo.

You can actually get the same ambiguous crossunder as Yang as well, it's just a matter of playing with how early you do the lk DK.

yup

you'd at least be at -1 and probably even 0 or +1 since you're hitting it within the later active frames.

If you use j.hp and get a successful lp shoulder reset it stuns everyone in the game with 1000 stun or lower and does a total of 590dmg. It also doesn't work on grapplers(Well, it works on hawk, but you cant do the combo that would do over 1000 stun) and is harder to execute. cl.mk into a lk DK is the most reliable version imo.

You can actually get the same ambiguous crossunder as Yang as well, it's just a matter of playing with how early you do the lk DK.
You can do 2 x c.mp -> s.mp -> ex upkicks -> lp lunge punch and that stuns Hawk (this is with the j.hp reset and not DK) ... But that is prob a 1 frame link from lp shoulder -> c.mp (ran it in reload/memory function to see if it worked lol).

Onemic

You can do 2 x c.mp -> s.mp -> ex upkicks -> lp lunge punch and that stuns Hawk (this is with the j.hp reset and not DK) ... But that is prob a 1 frame link from lp shoulder -> c.mp (ran it in reload/memory function to see if it worked lol).

yup. totally impractical though haha

El Sloth

Banned
I feel like my execution is getting worse. I'm starting to have trouble doing ultras from the 2P side all of a sudden. Was never an issue before, but now for some reason rolling the stick feels weird.

xCobalt

I feel like my execution is getting worse. I'm starting to have trouble doing ultras from the 2P side all of a sudden. Was never an issue before, but now for some reason rolling the stick feels weird.

My execution is way better on the 2P side. I should probably devote time in training mode just playing on 1P side but I just end up doing other things or going into endless lol

El Sloth

Banned
My execution is way better on the 2P side. I should probably devote time in training mode just playing on 1P side but I just end up doing other things or going into endless lol
Every time I decide I'm going to grind it out in training mode I get an invite from someone and say to myself, "alright, only for a little bit. Then back to training mode."

I never end up back in training mode lol

ggs guys.

Rice eater.. those dudley/Eryu matches were the nuttiest matches I've ever had. Too bad Dudley doesn't have a meter less invincible DP :/

Jokes on you Sloth, you thought I would switch character. But everything went according to keikaku(Translators Note: Keikaku = Plan). I figure you would go back to Rose while I stick with Seth. As for that last round, well it was a perfect way to end it :p

ggs guys.

Rice eater.. those dudley/Eryu matches were the nuttiest matches I've ever had. Too bad Dudley doesn't have a meter less invincible DP :/

At one point, you beat me 3 straight times. I was already pretty salty from the first two where I was practically inches away from winning but blew it in the end. Then in the last one of that streak you kept doing random DP's against me and would get in my face to continue the pressure. This happened something like 3 straight times in the last round. I kept dashing forward because I thought to myself "no way this guy will continue to pressure me, he'll try to bait instead". And 3 times I paid for it. The salt went through the roof at that point and I went full yolo in the next game lol.

And yeah, I can get pretty salty playing casuals with you guys or even the locals although I try to mask it in person.

Onemic

Ggs
youre too kind. Ive devolved into absolute shit at this game. I need a break or something.

you were able to notice the long recovery on my sweep and slide so focus was really effective. The thing I noticed about your decapre though is that you DP with her very often. At first I had no idea how to punish because you were too far away on each dp for me to do my general BnB combo, but eventually I adapted and just started using sweep. It became easy to tell when you would DP and when you wouldn't, even though I did eat a few obvious ones that I knew I shouldve baited(like after those blocked crossup ground pounds)

That Honda matchup was funny as hell tohugh. That was like an absolute test of patience on who could turtle harder. I think in the second and 3rd match you actually turned into a rushdown Honda.

If you face a Honda against an Elena with U2 always pick U1, or even just pick UW. Honda is one of the few characters in the game that I can get a free full U2 heal with no punishment off a backthrow if he doesn't have U1.

You know what I just realized about Decapre? You can just grab her out of psycho sting. Well my fear of that move has gone down considerably

her DP? well now, I'm considerably less afraid of that move than I was beforehand

You know what I just realized about Decapre? You can just grab her out of psycho sting. Well my fear of that move has gone down considerably

Wait what? All of them, or just some?

What about scramble, can you throw her out of all of those? I lost to this guy on PSN who was top 5 in BP, and that's all he kept doing on wake up. My meaty's weren't hitting and I kept getting hit by cross up ground pounds. Amazing how far you can get because of how unfamiliar people are against your character even though what you're doing is pretty unsafe.

Onemic

I don't know how, but I feel like I'm ok in blocking crossup ground pounds. I block it maybe 50% of the time online. It's when EX ground pound hits at the front that fucks me up. Whenever I see the flash I always assume it will crossup since 90% of the time it does

Wait what? All of them, or just some?

What about scramble, can you throw her out of all of those? I lost to this guy on PSN who was top 5 in BP, and that's all he kept doing on wake up. My meaty's weren't hitting and I kept getting hit by cross up ground pounds. Amazing how far you can get because of how unfamiliar people are against your character even though what you're doing is pretty unsafe.
I believe you can grab all of them except ex. I know I was just playing a Decapre and I was just walking up to her on her wakeup and would command grab her with Hugo.

Hands I dunno. I usually just block and punish it.

Edit: I'm having trouble replicating it in training but I did it to two different Decapre's. I heard the move and saw the startup of it.

Edit 2: oh you said Scramble, not hands. Uhhh I dunno. Couldn't tell you. Might try it in training soon.

Top Bottom