• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Tahnit

Banned
You wana know what really sucks? After watching evo i decided i want to become good at street fighter. I have the original SF IV on pc. I have to wait till august 8th to get ultra on pc for $30 dollars.

Now i could go ahead and get SSFIVAE on pc for 30 dollars but then i would have to pay $15 dollars to upgrade to ultra, which is again, 30 dollars on steam. Who in their right mind thought this was a good idea?

What they should do is lower the cost of SSFIVAE to 15 dollars and have an upgrade for 15 dollars. Instead i have to WAIT for ultra or waste money. Terrible planning on capcoms part.

I haven't played SFIV since Super, but after seeing Evo, I have the itch to get back into it. Cammy was my main back then, but doesn't everyone use her now? Thinking about going with Sakura. She was always a lot of fun. How is she in Ultra?

jboyDominato

Neo Member
You wana know what really sucks? After watching evo i decided i want to become good at street fighter. I have the original SF IV on pc. I have to wait till august 8th to get ultra on pc for $30 dollars.

Now i could go ahead and get SSFIVAE on pc for 30 dollars but then i would have to pay $15 dollars to upgrade to ultra, which is again, 30 dollars on steam. Who in their right mind thought this was a good idea?

What they should do is lower the cost of SSFIVAE to 15 dollars and have an upgrade for 15 dollars. Instead i have to WAIT for ultra or waste money. Terrible planning on capcoms part.

You can actually pre purchase Ultra Sf4 on Steam for $30 dollars which would then give you instant access to AE + all the character costumes and then in August 8th, you'll be able to download Ultra.

[edit] http://store.steampowered.com/sub/46392/

It's nuts because the actual dpad on the stock 360 controller (which is what he was using) is garbage. I wasn't referring to being able to hit links or anything.

Some people can just use certain pads. I think the playstation d-pads are fucking horrible (except ps4), but somehow Wolfkrone/Louffy and many others make it work. Some people think the Xbox One d-pad is good........and I think it's one of the worst d-pads for fighters. Others say the 360 d-pad is trash, but I can make it work better than most pads.

*shrug*

milkham

Hey guys,

Quick controller question, I used to use my HAP 3 stick for fighting games but now have a projector setup that requires a wireless controller to work. Would you guys recommend the 6 button game pads that were put out for SF4 or are there any wireless fightsticks you would recommend?

what system do you play on?
as far as i know there has only been one wireless stick released and it was bundled with tekken 6 on 360. if you're comfortable with electronics you may be able to take it apart and solder the pcb into your existing stick. there's also the possibility of padhacking an official 360 pad but everything i've read says that is a huge pain in the ass to do (my knowledge on this may be out of date though)

if you have a ps3 you can break open a sixaxis controller and get an axisdapter board to wire the buttons into. I have one stick like this and made another for a friend and they work fine.
http://www.godlikecontrols.com/

Man I went to work and missed out on my chance to bitch about Rose. Well I will put in my two words anyways thank you very much. I get that she's made to dominate other fireball zoning characters(Ryu, Gouken, Guile, Sagat, etc.). But like Bizzy said, I wish they would tone down her meter gain from absorbs. She'll still dominate zoners and get 2 Ultras every match against them. But maybe it'll take 30 seconds instead of 15 to get a Super instead. They can leave everything else alone. Is that really asking for too much? And BTW, I've been bitching about this since Super(I've played Vanilla since day 1 but I didn't know shit about Rose back then).

OK, fine forget the meter nerf. How about at the very least, she can't deflect or absorb multi hitting fireballs? Poor Ryu and Sagat are blowing meter trying to gain some kind of chip damage or catch her off guard. Come on, let them have that at least?

This has nothing to do with that fact that I main Evil Ryu who has shaku's

Martal

Neo Member
It's nuts because the actual dpad on the stock 360 controller (which is what he was using) is garbage. I wasn't referring to being able to hit links or anything.

when you say stock do you mean the old, original 360 controller or the one with the slightly raised d-pad?

Man I went to work and missed out on my chance to bitch about Rose. Well I will put in my two words anyways thank you very much. I get that she's made to dominate other fireball zoning characters(Ryu, Gouken, Guile, Sagat, etc.). But like Bizzy said, I wish they would tone down her meter gain from absorbs. She'll still dominate zoners and get 2 Ultras every match against them. But maybe it'll take 30 seconds instead of 15 to get a Super instead. They can leave everything else alone. Is that really asking for too much? And BTW, I've been bitching about this since Super(I've played Vanilla since day 1 but I didn't know shit about Rose back then).

OK, fine forget the meter nerf. How about at the very least, she can't deflect or absorb multi hitting fireballs? Poor Ryu and Sagat are blowing meter trying to gain some kind of chip damage or catch her off guard. Come on, let them have that at least?

Rose is fine. Poeple really need to stop throwing projectiles from full screen. It's hard to reflect them if you're chucking plasma from a shorter distance.

I almost wish Louffy wouldn't have won. I hope this Rose shit doesn't get out of hand. But I understand that you've stated your hatred for her before.

If only Ricky would've beaten SnakeEyez.....

.....Well then Bonchan would've won Evo, and people would cry over Sagat and I would've still been irritated.

DR2K

Banned

Why should multi hit fireballs be excluded? Only a few shotos have meterless ones. She has to use ex reflects for ex projectiles.

Myn

Rose is fine. Poeple really need to stop throwing projectiles from full screen. It's hard to reflect them if you're chucking plasma from a shorter distance.

I almost wish Louffy wouldn't have won. I hope this Rose shit doesn't get out of hand. But I understand that you've stated your hatred for her before.

If only Ricky would've beaten SnakeEyez.....

.....Well then Bonchan would've won Evo, and people would cry over Sagat and I would've still been irritated.

Basically, if it's not Daigo, it's broken.

I never thought she was too good and I still don't think so after Louffy won EVO. It's just her her advantages against traditional fireball zoners that really irritates me. As if she didn't dominate zoners enough, she also gets a fireball invincible move to blow up projectile at close range so we can't fireball at full screen or up close. Again, I just think she has it a little too good against zoners. But of course she still has her bad match ups as well. I assume Blanka is good against Rose since Mizoteru was the only Japanese to beat Louffy this weekend. He won 5-2 I think in a money match. But I don't think Capcom will touch her or most characters if they do another update. They'll probably just address a few character like DJ.

I thought about working on my Seth again to counter this match up in the past. But unlike with Ibuki who I rely on Yun for nowadays, I keep wanting to try and fight it with my main even though I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle. I guess it's because it's a fireball war and footsie battle where as with Ibuki she's always looking to vortex me and I want to return the favor with Yun.

Why should multi hit fireballs be excluded? Only a few shotos have meterless ones. She has to use ex reflects for ex projectiles.

She does? I thought regular reflect deals with everything except Ultra projectiles. I guess it's because she can reflect my shaku's with regular reflect so I assumed the same would go for EX projectiles. Well I guess I'll fall back on my meter gain whining again :p

chriskun

I don't think anyone would have cried over Sagat, it's pretty obvious the work Sagat has to do to win. With that said, I think Bonchan was playing that match wrong, he should have rushed her down more and pressured with fireballs a little bit closer.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Finally did challenge nine with Ryu. I think I'm getting the feel of the combo timing finally.

I never thought she was too good and I still don't think so after Louffy won EVO. It's just her her advantages against traditional fireball zoners that really irritates me. She still has her bad match ups as well. I assume Blanka is good against Rose since Mizoteru was the only Japanese to beat Louffy this weekend. He won 5-2 I think in a money match. But I don't think Capcom will touch her or most characters if they do another update. They'll probably just address a few character like DJ.

I thought about working on my Seth again to counter this match up in the past. But unlike with Ibuki who I rely on Yun for nowadays, I keep wanting to try and fight it with my main even though I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle. I guess it's because it's a fireball war and footsie battle where as with Ibuki she's always looking to vortex me and I want to return the favor with Yun.

She does? I thought regular reflect deals with everything except Ultra projectiles. I guess it's because she can reflect my shaku's with regular reflect so I assumed the same would go for EX projectiles. Well I guess I'll fall back on my meter gain whining again :p
You just have to fight her differently. Stay in her face. She can't do shit about it except backdash or ex spiral. Sagat vs Rose is actually my absolute favorite matchup to play as either character, so I was hype as fuck to see it for grand finals. Not in any way saying I would've done any better than Bonchan, but I really wish he would've just disrespected the hell out of Louffy, cause Louffy sure as fuck didn't respect anyone he fought in top 8.

Speaking of disrespectful play, I've been playing like I don't have an ounce of care in my body and I have been really enjoying it. Walk up dp's, mashing everything, unnecessarily blowing meter. Been getting a TON of hatemail though, haha.

Vice

I don't think anyone would have cried over Sagat, it's pretty obvious the work Sagat has to do to win. With that said, I think Bonchan was playing that match wrong, he should have rushed her down more and pressured with fireballs a little bit closer.

People would have cried over nearly any characters in top 8 wining, with the possible exception of Gief. Nearly all of the players Luffy ran into played the matchup incorrectly aside form Snake Eyez. They did the equivalent of jumping in on Sagat and getting tiger'd again and again.

alstein

SSFIVAE has been on sale for 15 on consoles (and might be easy to find in a Gamestop for 15 used, 20 new)

On PC during the Summer Sales it's been as cheap as 7.50 in the past.

SnakeEyez beating Ricky was my highlight for this Evo. Just pure Gief awesomeness. So no, that was absolutely as it should be.
It hurt me to watch that match. I wanted both of them to make it. So really SnakeEyez should've won his first match against Fei Long dammit!
For shorter distances, she has ex-drill or MK slide haha.
Well ex spiral is exactly that, so hopefully you're being mindful.

Slide will probably trade with the fireball

But yes those are definitely options.

mbpm1

You just have to fight her differently. Stay in her face. She can't do shit about it except backdash or ex spiral.

True, but the getting in her face part is tough with those buttons and Sagat's speed. Still better than giving Rosea free Super every round though. It was painful to watch that.

I'm still waiting for the PC version. Meanwhile, what seems to be the mood with Balrog players? PR Rog didn't like the changes that much I guess? I mainly play with Balrog and DeeJay. DeeJay's changes are not sounding very exciting.

vg260

I can't say for sure, as I never had a chance to use one. I've heard it has problems with general durability, but feels nice for fighters.

Oh, maybe the chrome d-pad one is better, but the original 360 d-pad design imo is one of the worst ever. It just feels completely inaccurate. I feel like it's simply unusable.

Oh, maybe the chrome d-pad one is better, but the original 360 d-pad design imo is one of the worst ever. It just feels completely inaccurate. I feel like it's simply unusable.

The original 360 dpad is pretty terrible overall but I found that the general input leniency of Street Fighter IV made it decent enough. I managed to complete the trials in Vanilla and put up a reasonable fight online using it. I played Super with it for a long time too but I've long since switched to stick..

I use a standard wired 360 pad when playing on my laptop away from home rather than my wireless chrome twisty-dpad model because the old dpad feels better for me. I do know folk who prefer the twisty pad but tournaments tend not to allow the hassle of wireless pads; a shame since I don't think the twisty dpad has a wired version.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Two Roses in top 64 and people are bitching lol. I really do hope peeps try to jump on the Rose bandwagon just so they can understand just how amazing Luffys play really was. He made it look easy but its not at all.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Two Roses in top 64 and people are bitching lol. I really do hope peeps try to jump on the Rose bandwagon just so they can understand just how amazing Luffys play really was. He made it look easy but its not at all.

Its baffling when people are complaining about a 5 5 matchup. Reminds me of vanilla days when sagat players used to say 'oh yea if sagat is so good how come he isnt winning any majors'.

I thought there was very good character variety at EVO, not necessarily in the top 8, but once you get out to top 32/64 (which would basically be equivalent to winning a regular major), most of the cast is represented other than oni, seth, dan, abel, dee jay, claw, boxer and hugo. That's not to say all of those characters are completey terrible either (well, maybe dee jay), but it will take a little bit more time to flesh out the top and mid tiers.

SnakeEyez beating Ricky was my highlight for this Evo. Just pure Gief awesomeness. So no, that was absolutely as it should be.

Same for me. (anti-gief tech lol) Just beautiful play from Snake Eyes.

And yes, I always disliked Rose. I still find her boring and an unexciting character, like Fei Long. But no, she shouldn't be nerfed. People probably haven't paid much attention to her, and she has horrible match ups. Everyone will probably do their homework now on her.

LakeEarth

Its baffling when people are complaining about a 5 5 matchup. Reminds me of vanilla days when sagat players used to say 'oh yea if sagat is so good how come he isnt winning any majors'.

People bitch about meter building from her absorb, but Louffy beat the best Fei Long's out there, no meter absorb there. Yes orbs are annoying, but they used to be worse (active on frame 1). Her backdash is amazing, but it also brings her to the corner really quick. She gets her super a lot, but that's one of the few comeback options she has. Like all characters, there are pluses and minuses.

cHaotix8

Eh, my only problem with Rose is with how good her defensive options are in a game with delayed wakeup. Her backdash was already tied for best in the game in 2012, making close standing mk throw invincible on the first frame, full strike invuln on ex spiral, and the delayed wakeup changes give her a much better chance to escape when you mix in focus xx backdash. If she has ultra, all she has to do is escape, then pop U2 and you've completely lost your momentum. She can walk herself out of the corner with it.

Her offense has increased immensely as well. Shaving 2 frames off her forward dash, making close mk throw invincible + low crush and the damage buffs have made her scary up close. Luffy got a ton of mileage out of dash forward > throw/st mk, and that's a true 50/50 if you don't react to the dash. Having that and her huge throw range is REALLY good when pressuring up close. It's essentially dive kick pressure. Plus, the damage buffs added what, +28/35~ damage to her BnB's?

I think Luffy played very well this weekend, and really only Snake Eyez came close to playing the matchup correctly (Should have jabbed the forward dashes and risked the sweep hard read to punish backdash, which is a dumb risk to take when you're trying to maintain your own offense). But I still feel that Rose has too many tools for her mobility on defense to be as good as it is. If they are going to give her all those tools then they need to reduce the distance/recovery on her backdash to compensate.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Eh, my only problem with Rose is with how good her defensive options are in a game with delayed wakeup. Her backdash was already tied for best in the game in 2012, making close standing mk throw invincible on the first frame, full strike invuln on ex spiral, and the delayed wakeup changes give her a much better chance to escape when you mix in focus xx backdash. If she has ultra, all she has to do is escape, then pop U2 and you've completely lost your momentum.
Her defensive options are the weakest in the game. Her backdash is all she has. She doesnt have a single move that can beat meaty jab/short pressure. Nothing. The added invul on EX Spiral doesnt negate that, it was done to resolve the stupid shit like Ryu close standing HK stuffing it. Close MK has been the way it is since Vanilla. Yes delayed wake up give her a chance against dumb vortexes and keeps her from getting completely mauled.

A cornered knocked down Rose is in big trouble. Yeah you have to get her there first but its true.

cHaotix8

Her defensive options are the weakest in the game. Her backdash is all she has. She doesnt have a single move that can beat meaty jab/short pressure. Nothing. The added invul on EX Spiral doesnt negate that, it was done to resolve the stupid shit like Ryu close standing HK stuffing it. Close MK has been the way it is since Vanilla. Yes delayed wake up give her a chance against dumb vortexes and keeps her from getting completely mauled.

Most characters can't OS her backdash and focus backdash xx beats meaty jab pressure. EX Spiral xx FADC beats gets you out of meaty non OS, and st mk gets you out of throws. Wake up mk beats throws and delayed shorts, plus leads to a combo with a knockdown and is safe on block. The only thing she has to really worry about is crossup setups, and even those can be avoided if you guess right on a delayed wakeup.

She has plenty of defensive options. If you want to talk about bad defense then look at Cody, Abel or Makoto.

Edit: Focus xx Backdash also builds ultra meter, making it even easier to get yourself out of trouble when you're cornered!

PhatSaqs

Banned
Most characters can't OS her backdash and focus backdash xx beats meaty jab pressure. EX Spiral xx FADC beats gets you out of meaty non OS, and st mk gets you out of throws. Wake up mk beats throws and delayed shorts, plus leads to a combo with a knockdown and is safe on block. The only thing she has to really worry about is crossup setups, and even those can be avoided if you guess right on a delayed wakeup.

She has plenty of defensive options. If you want to talk about bad defense then look at Cody, Abel or Makoto.

Edit: Focus xx Backdash also builds ultra meter, making it even easier to get yourself out of trouble when you're cornered!
You cannot s.mk wake up throws. The startup is too long. Try it. Define "most charaters" that cant OS her backdash on wakeup? Fei lol? I cant believe someone is arguing Rose has great wakeup options. This is certainly a first for me :/

You cannot s.mk wake up throws. The startup is too long. Try it. Define "most charaters" that cant OS her backdash on wakeup? Fei lol? I cant believe someone is arguing Rose has great wakeup options. This is certainly a first for me :/

This is what happens when a character you use wins Evo breh

Onemic

I'm fairly sure this is true.

blackadde

this is a game where akuma has a 3f DP that's safe with meter, an EX DP that cannot lose to ANYTHING in the game, a full screen teleport that can go in either direction, and rose is the one with the bullshit wakeup options?

news flash you can either meaty throw to beat everything (all she can do is backdash, which doesn't hit you and corners her) or meaty low short (which is safe vs. EX spiral anyways). if you spend a little time in training and figure out OS's for her backdash, she has to start gambling on spending a bar to be -6f in your face. this isn't even getting into safe jump OS stuff which is super easy vs her since her reversal starts in 13f.

how do you ever catch chun or vega, characters with the same backdash but overall much faster mobility (esp. back walk speed)?

CO_Andy

I do know folk who prefer the twisty pad but tournaments tend not to allow the hassle of wireless pads; a shame since I don't think the twisty dpad has a wired version.
You can switch out the dpad on any 360 (and S-Type) controller with the transforming dpad.

Onemic

Im not complaining about Rose's wakeup options or Rose at all. I think shes fine where she is. I'm just saying that she, like Chun can't be OS sweeped by a lot of the cast

Top Bottom