• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

My Rose is not that great. But when I play fireball people online (maybe because it's online and people are impatient), but people get in my face or stay mid range and toss plasma.

I've played Ryud who would sit across screen and throw fireballs and I would just absorb everything. Next rounds they would get closer and use the fireball as a long range poke.

I don't think it's a bad thing that Rose makes projectiles tossers rethink their patterns and what they usually do. It's just a different match-up dynamic.

That whole time, I was thinking why doesn't Bon get closer and try to be more aggressive and not give Louffy meter.

cHaotix8

You cannot s.mk wake up throws. The startup is too long. Try it. Define "most charaters" that cant OS her backdash on wakeup? Fei lol? I cant believe someone is arguing Rose has great wakeup options. This is certainly a first for me :/

No one is saying her wakeup is great but it's really not as bad as Rose players make it out to be. Did you watch any of Filipino man or Luffy's matches? How many situations were they in that forced them to block? I'm not going to list the characters that can't OS her back dash because it would be too long.

Punishing focus xx back dash takes a significant amount of risk that isn't proportional to the person back dashing. It would be good if you could guess that they were going to backdash and hold up forward to get a jump-in on Rose's recovery, but you can't even do that. Pre-Ultra this was fine, but the way the character is now makes this a bit much. It's low risk/high reward.

Close standing mk is throw invincible frames 1-9, crushes lows and is +4 on hit and 0 on block. Rose also has one of the biggest throw ranges in the game.

PhatSaqs

Banned
No one is saying her wakeup is great but it's really not as bad as Rose players make it out to be. Did you watch any of Filipino man or Luffy's matches? How many situations were they in that forced them to block? I'm not going to list the chatterers that can't OS her back dash because it would be too long.

Punishing focus xx back dash takes a significant amount of risk that isn't proportional to the person back dashing. It would be good if you could guess that they were going to backdash and hold up forward to get a jump-in on Rose's recovery, but you can't even do that. Pre-Ultra this was fine, but the way the character is now makes this a bit much.

Close standing mk is throw invincible frames 1-9, crushes lows and is +4 on hit and 0 on block. Rose also has one of the biggest throw ranges in the game.
Who said anything about punishing focus backdash? I figured you wouldnt list the chars that cant OS Rose probably for similar reasons why you're not in the lab figuring out what to use to OS her lol. I've watched and know plenty about Rose to know that her wakeup is ass. The only players that really knew the matchups and pressured her wakeup somehwhat apprporiately that Luffy played in the Top 16 IMO were Eita & Snakeyez and both should have won their matches. Again IMO.

And again, I want to see you try using s.mk to beat meaty wakeup throws...

zlatko

Banned
Man. Rolento is getting old..I think I might try a charge character I just don't know who.

Try Decapre.

Huge change of pace on how to play and different footsies. Plus you get to learn "hands" techniques on top of charge character stuff.

Otherwise, Guile. Shades all day 'ere day.

cHaotix8

here's my secret anti backdash technology from about two minutes in training mode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaKvmDey3II&feature=youtu.be

That's hardly a deterrent unless they are very low on life. Rose gets out of a high damage mixup situation at the cost of ~80-90 damage, and gets ultra meter to back herself out of the corner, assuming you OS backdash and she doesn't focus xx backdash or anything else. Or she could just block the first jab, then focus backdash. Let's see OS's into real damage or knockdowns.

PhatSaqs

Banned
That's hardly a deterrent unless they are very low on life. Rose gets out of a high damage mixup situation at the cost of ~80-90 damage, and gets ultra meter to back herself out of the corner, assuming you OS backdash and she doesn't focus xx backdash or anything else. Or she could just block the first jab, then focus backdash. Let's see OS's into real damage or knockdowns.
Ok you're just trolling. Im upset I fell for it :/

blackadde

you're right! what was i thinking. all these years rose was secret top tier because she has the same backdash as two (now three) other characters. it's no big deal to eat 120dmg/200stun over and over and get pushed into the corner for free. all i have to do is be psychic and react to the things my opponent tries to do before they do them. thanks, tips.

cHaotix8

I guess i'm the only one that sees the real risk versus reward in her wakeup options. I've listed specific reasons stating why what she has is difficult to deal plus how it benefits her, yet I'm the troll, lol. She has tools to deal with multiple types of pressure, and there isn't a single option that covers more than one of them that doesn't require an unsafe read. Her defensive abilities need to be scaled to match the increase of her damage and offensive ones. I'm not asking for a Cody backdash but she shouldn't be able to escape across the entire stage safely within a second.

Instead of calling me a troll or telling me to do my research, maybe provide reasons why her back dash shouldn't have more recovery besides "os with st hk", or "her wakeup is bad".

blackadde

list me the characters w/ better wakeup than rose homeboy

then list the characters w/ worse wakeup

this character doesn't exist in a vacuum because you're too lazy to lab stuff up for a half hour with your character

- - -

-meaty throw beats everything but backdash and jump, jump is floaty as shit so you can't neutral jump w/o being punished by every character in the game (can't ex spiral, can't reversal u2, beats focus backdash), low risk

-meaty button OS throw beats everything except backdash and focus backdash (can't jump, can't ex spiral, can't reversal u2 or u1), rose may be able to whiff punish the throw (?)

-meaty button OS long range normal / special beats everything except focus backdash, sometimes EX spiral depending on the situation (can't jump, can't reversal u1 or u2, can't backdash)

all of these options beat wakeup cs.MK, which you are treating like a DP or some shit. this isn't even getting into REAL oki stuff like divekicks that are active from 1-landing, safe jump OS, crossup setups, command grabs, or moves that make ex spiral whiff.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Instead of calling me a troll or telling me to do my research, maybe provide reasons why her back dash shouldn't have more recovery besides "os with st hk", or "her wakeup is bad".
Because as has been pointed out several times already, she has nothing unique that blows up meaty jab/short/throw pressure. Its one less option than every other character in the game even with meter or ultra. Its one less thing you have to respect when getting a knockdown as the attacker. Theres no DP,no EX Zonk, no wake up Ultra,nothing. Just backdash, block, or tech. Players familiar with this will use this fact to their advantage and mix up their + frame jab/short pressure with throws and frame traps.

cHaotix8

list me the characters w/ better wakeup than rose homeboy

then list the characters w/ worse wakeup

this character doesn't exist in a vacuum because you're too lazy to lab stuff up for a half hour with your character

- - -

-meaty throw beats everything but backdash and jump, jump is floaty as shit so you can't neutral jump w/o being punished by every character in the game (can't ex spiral, can't reversal u2, beats focus backdash), low risk

-meaty button OS throw beats everything except backdash and focus backdash (can't jump, can't ex spiral, can't reversal u2 or u1), rose may be able to whiff punish the throw (?)

-meaty button OS long range normal / special beats everything except focus backdash, sometimes EX spiral depending on the situation (can't jump, can't reversal u1 or u2, can't backdash)

all of these options beat wakeup cs.MK, which you are treating like a DP or some shit. this isn't even getting into REAL oki stuff like divekicks that are active from 1-landing, safe jump OS, crossup setups, command grabs, or moves that make ex spiral whiff.

Lol, I figured out all of my punishes on her backdash back in Super, so no need to make things so personal. Unfortunately, I usually have to circumvent traditional pressure to OS unless it's off of a safe jump, which incidentally, are harder to set up in this game.

Characters with worse wakeup:

Hakan, Juri, Cody, Dhalsim, Abel, Makoto, El Fuerte, Rolento, Vega, Rufus. Rose's wakeup is about as good as Balrogs.

Real divekick and crossup (ie: akuma and cammy) pressure everyone has to deal with, so no use crying about that. Thing is, she can punish bad dive kicks with ex soul throw or ultra if she's looking for them.

Meaty throw beats block, focus backdash and ex spiral. Loses to focus tech xx backdash, backdash, jump back and close st mk (I don't know why people act like this is so hard).

Backdash OS beats backdash. Depending on the OS, Backdash OS loses to ex spiral. Ex spiral OS will sometime lose to backdash, though it also depends on the character and OS.

EX Spiral FADC beats everything except Spiral OS, early jump back or throw.

She can focus xx backdash out of some safe jumps, depends on the character. Ryu can catch her with sweep, but Dudley doesn't get anything except ex duck straight depending on how close she is to the corner.

Because as has been pointed out several times already, she has nothing unique that blows up meaty jab/short/throw pressure.

Loses to focus tech xx backdash.

Kyzon

How does the digital upgrade thing work? I got super arcade this month with games with gold, and I wanna upgrade to ultra, but I'm not sure what I'm doing.

Help please?

cHaotix8

How does the digital upgrade thing work? I got super arcade this month with games with gold, and I wanna upgrade to ultra, but I'm not sure what I'm doing.

Help please?

I think you just go to XBL marketplace from the SFIV main menu and buy the Ultra upgrade. Should be only $15

I guess i'm the only one that sees the real risk versus reward in her wakeup options. I've listed specific reasons stating why what she has is difficult to deal plus how it benefits her, yet I'm the troll, lol. She has tools to deal with multiple types of pressure, and there isn't a single option that covers more than one of them that doesn't require an unsafe read. Her defensive abilities need to be scaled to match the increase of her damage and offensive ones. I'm not asking for a Cody backdash but she shouldn't be able to escape across the entire stage safely within a second.

Yeah sorry dude, but I'm just not seeing it. It's probably because I play Rose. There's nothing she can do about being grabbed on wakeup other than backdash, and she's just pushing herself to the corner. Whenever I fight Rose in Ultra now, I attempt to grab her on almost every wakeup. Losing that throw invincibility was a big deal.

The cl.MK is not happening on wakeup man. Unless you are damn perfect or something. I don't think I've ever seen anyone do it.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Anyone want to play on PSN tonight? I think I'm gonna use the new OP, unfair, totally-needs-nerfing Rose...with a PS1 controller. Can't lose!

cHaotix8

Yeah sorry dude, but I'm just not seeing it. It's probably because I play Rose. There's nothing she can do about being grabbed on wakeup other than backdash, and she's just pushing herself to the corner. Whenever I fight Rose in Ultra now, I attempt to grab her on almost every wakeup. Losing that throw invincibility was a big deal.

The cl.MK is not happening on wakeup man. Unless you are damn perfect or something. I don't think I've ever seen anyone do it.

I'll test it when I get home.

Did that, but nothing happened :/

You might have to check and see if it downloaded completely/correctly. It loaded ultra automatically for me on completion. Check your games section in the xbox menu and see if it loads. If not, you may have to download it again.

My friend is writing the guide for the game, so he has the dev kit with all the hitboxes and stuff. It shows the move has no throwable hitbox for the first 9 frames. I don't know if that secretly changed or not, since as far as we know everything else in production Ultra is consistent with that version. I'll test it when I get home.
Not saying you can't do it. Just it can be hard to time. I tend to not take the risk. You certainly cannot just mash it on wakeup.

Even then, it's all still guessing. Throw out some cr.LP's if she can time the mk every single time.

El Sloth

Banned
As a Yang player I can tell you the secret to rekkas is buffering whatever normal you're canceling into a rekka as one uniform motion. You'll be surprised how much time you have left to confirm and do two more.
Ooh, this is some nice advice. Thanks! I'm having an easier time hit confirming but, my hands still become retarded with the 2nd and 3rd motions (and 4th when including her EX) occasionally. It feels like I did the motion properly and pressed the button in time and yet I get bupkiss. I just need more time grinding the repetitive motions out until it becomes second nature I guess.

El Sloth

Banned
By the way, new Excellent Adventures is up for those who care.

What Mike says is pretty funny considering how well he did at EVO. I hope he's serious about switching to Tony Hawk full time. Honda ain't cutting it anymore.

Attention Rice-Eater:
This video contains footage of an E. Ryu beating a Rose, you sick bastard.

Onemic

By the way, new Excellent Adventures is up for those who care.

What Mike says is pretty funny considering how well he did at EVO. I hope he's serious about switching to Tony Hawk full time. Honda ain't cutting it anymore.

Attention Rice-Eater:
This video contains footage of an E. Ryu beating a Rose, you sick bastard.

Sorry I missed your msg yesterday sloth. I'll be on again tonight if you still wanna play

cHaotix8

Not saying you can't do it. Just it can be hard to time. I tend to not take the risk. You certainly cannot just mash it on wakeup.

Even then, it's all still guessing. Throw out some cr.LP's if she can time the mk every single time.

Most throws are only active for 2 frames, so you have a better chance of crushing them with cl mk then you have of mistiming it and getting thrown, especially if you plink. It's really no different from a Rufus or Cammy wake-up dive kicking you. Plus you get damage and a knockdown while being safe on block. You are taking the same risk as someone with a DP by guessing that your opponent is going to do something, only you are safe on block and get a lot more damage on hit.

Kyzon

I'll test it when I get home.

You might have to check and see if it downloaded completely/correctly. It loaded ultra automatically for me on completion. Check your games section in the xbox menu and see if it loads. If not, you may have to download it again.

I'll give that a try, thanks.

Rose has bad wakeup. Backdash is OS'able and then she has to make guesses between throw and meaty. Try something easy like oki cr.lp, cr.lp plinked to sweep or cr.lp, special plinked to cr.lp. (If your character's cr.lp is chainable).

Someone said Rufus has bad wakeup? what?

blackadde

Hakan, Juri, Cody, Dhalsim, Abel, Makoto, El Fuerte, Rolento, Vega, Rufus. Rose's wakeup is about as good as Balrogs.

first off, balrog rufus and juri very clearly have better wakeup options than rose. balrog gets out of setups without even doing anything because of his buggy pushbox.

secondly, even if i accept your list, you just said that she's tied for 11th worst in a game with 44 characters. how is that good? does she have top 11th offense?

and by the way; try to use cs.mk as a wakeup in an actual match. good luck.

cHaotix8

Someone said Rufus has bad wakeup? what?

EX messiah is slow, so meaty shorts/jabs will allow you to block messiah and foce him to block low (if it's a short), and the followups are unsafe. His backdash is so bad that most characters can just see it and then react punish it. He has a really wide hurtbox, making jump ins a lot more ambiguous. He gets really good damage if he reads a throw but without meter he is free as fuck, and should be a free win for most characters if you knock him down early without meter.

Messiah works best in situations where pressure has already started, same with ex spiral. However, in those situations Rose would be better of focus xx backdashing, as the opponent is usually too far away to throw you and likely won't be able to punish you on recovery.

first off, balrog rufus and juri very clearly have better wakeup options than rose. balrog gets out of setups without even doing anything because of his buggy pushbox.

secondly, even if i accept your list, you just said that she's tied for 11th worst in a game with 44 characters. how is that good? does she have top 11th offense?

and by the way; try to use cs.mk as a wakeup in an actual match. good luck.

Juri's EX pinwheel is slow enough that you can meaty it and still block. Her parries are punishable on hit and her backdash isn't as good as Rose's. Her back walkspeed is also bad, so it's easier to keep the pressure on her.

I use jab dp with Dudley and ssb all the time to crush throws when I know they are coming, and juri players have used her close mk/hp/whatever her throw invuln move is all the time to beat throws against me. Just because you guys don't do it doesn't mean it's not an option, lol.

Also, I never said her wakeup was good, just that it isn't balanced proportionately to how much they improved her offense. You guys didn't even know her cl mk was throw invuln haha.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Ooh, this is some nice advice. Thanks! I'm having an easier time hit confirming but, my hands still become retarded with the 2nd and 3rd motions (and 4th when including her EX) occasionally. It feels like I did the motion properly and pressed the button in time and yet I get bupkiss. I just need more time grinding the repetitive motions out until it becomes second nature I guess.

I get stupid fingers as well sometimes on the 2p side which is ironic considering that i almost never host. Try to do all the reps at the same speed. Once you get a feel for the timing down you're golden.

blackadde

EX messiah is slow, so meaty shorts/jabs will allow you to block messiah and foce him to block low (if it's a short), and the followups are unsafe. His backdash is so bad that most characters can just see it and then react punish it. He has a really wide hurtbox, making jump ins a lot more ambiguous. He gets really good damage if he reads a throw but without meter he is free as fuck, and should be a free win for most characters if you knock him down early without meter.

*if you guess right a second time on a 4-way mixup
**and if you have a 3f button or DP
***and if you punish it frame perfect
****and if you don't try to out-invincible the 1-11f flip kick ender which leads into ultra

blackadde

Also, I never said her wakeup was good, just that it isn't balanced proportionately to how much they improved her offense. You guys didn't even know her cl mk was throw invuln haha.

dude unlike you i have played this character for 5 years. her cs.mk has been throw invul for all 5 of those. you can't use it as a wakeup if you want to actually win matches. phatsaqs was a beast mode rose player in vanilla and understands her wheel of options really well, while you're comparing stand MK to a rufus dive kick.

cHaotix8

*if you guess right a second time on a 4-way mixup
**and if you have a 3f button or DP
***and if you punish it frame perfect
****and if you don't try to out-invincible the 1-11f flip kick ender which leads into ultra

The only mixup you're guessing is if he's going to delay the lk or not, and even then there are some characters that don't have to guess. You can block the other followups on reaction and get a level 2 focus if you're feeling saucey and want to gamble on more damage. Even if you do nothing, you're left in a situation where you're at +3 frame advantage at worst with him having spent his only bar on a gamble, or a fat punish combo on the lk/nothing followup at best.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if a lot more characters can't OS ex messiah now. It lost a lot of invulnerably in Ultra, so it should be even easier to deal with now.

mbpm1

question: why don't rufus players choose to do nothing after a blocked messiah more often? especially since uppercuts beat all the followups.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Sony PS3 Street Fighter IV FightPad - Ryu by MadCatz http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001M1Z9ZW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I have a ps4 and was considering this controller as it is wireless. I do have a stick as well but my projector setup makes using it too cumbersome.

Anyone with thoughts or comments on that type of controller aka the genesis controller.

Pretty sure these don't work with PS4. I had issues with these pads and switched to the Street Fighter X Tekken pads, which are wired and more ergonomic, as soon as they became available. The wireless versions would randomly lose their signals and there were issues with local 2P play. Went through a number of these pads because of this.

cHaotix8

question: why don't rufus players choose to do nothing after a blocked messiah more often? especially since uppercuts beat all the followups.

It depends on the character they're fighting. If they think you're going to focus the followup and know your character has to deal with the mixup, then they are more inclined to do nothing and then throw you. It's safer than just going for the lk ender and stays in the opponents mind for next time. It's still really unsafe if the opponent guesses right though. Regular uppercuts generally don't beat delayed lk followup, but EX ones and ultras almost always will.

Top Bottom