• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Anyone here use mod costumes? Is it possible to have multiple ones installed at once? I installed once, but from what I understand it just replaces the default costume.

i'm curious, has anyone tried usf4 on a mac? i'd be interested in double-dipping and getting this for my macbook pro, but i have no clue how that would even work. also, would my ps3 madcatz or qanba stick work on the macbook?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
You really only need to block low against her most of the time. She'll try to trick you with Mallet Smash (which is an overhead) afterwards, but if you've got good reflexes, you can block high and punish. Watch out for her funky hurtbox, too. She's deceptively tiny, so be aware.

I feel like it's the opposite in ex mallet smash range, since slide is very unsafe from most ranges. Plus blocking low means you're not moving, which is something you'll probably want to do more against her to keep her from getting in her optimal spaces.

Ex mallet smash is where the true mixup is. Just ex mallet smash for the high, and cr.mk xx ex mallet smash for the low since that will combo. Ex is like 14 frames so it's not really reactable. HP smash is very reactable, but only -1.

Blocking high after a midrange poke is probably a good idea against her in general, but if I notice you're doing that, I can just use her gdlk walk speed to walk up and hit you with a cr.mk. A lot of characters can just walk out of that, though, so another option is st.lk canceled into lk lynx tail, which is unsafe, but it's quick enough that you pretty much have to be expecting it to punish it, especially if it's spaced. And if you're expecting it, I can use that against you.

I feel like she has a very intricate block string game compared to most characters. Very interesting character.

i'm curious, has anyone tried usf4 on a mac? i'd be interested in double-dipping and getting this for my macbook pro, but i have no clue how that would even work. also, would my ps3 madcatz or qanba stick work on the macbook?

If possible, I would try bootcamp if your mac is capable. It lets you install windows (You need a copy of windows 7 or 8 64bit.) Macbooks should automatically have this option in the Utility folder.

Onemic

I feel like it's the opposite in ex mallet smash range, since slide is very unsafe from most ranges. Plus blocking low means you're not moving, which is something you'll probably want to do more against her to keep her from getting in her optimal spaces.

Ex mallet smash is where the true mixup is. Just ex mallet smash for the high, and cr.mk xx ex mallet smash for the low since that will combo. Ex is like 14 frames so it's not really reactable. HP smash is very reactable, but only -1.

Blocking high after a midrange poke is probably a good idea against her in general, but if I notice you're doing that, I can just use her gdlk walk speed to walk up and hit you with a cr.mk. A lot of characters can just walk out of that, though, so another option is st.lk canceled into lk lynx tail, which is unsafe, but it's quick enough that you pretty much have to be expecting it to punish it, especially if it's spaced. And if you're expecting it, I can use that against you.

I feel like she has a very intricate block string game compared to most characters. Very interesting character.

ya, you pretty much never need to block low against elena lol.

At higher levels Elena has virtually no low-high game to speak of anyways. Just block high and punish EX mallet. If you are in slide range just focus and punish, she has nothing to stop you from doing so unless she wants to spend a bar. EX mallet is not as good as it seems.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
So question... I pre-ordered the full PC version and I'm downloading it now. But I don't see that I am getting the costumes (wizard Rolento, Pirate Poison, etc). Am I SOL?

vg260

So question... I pre-ordered the full PC version and I'm downloading it now. But I don't see that I am getting the costumes (wizard Rolento, Pirate Poison, etc). Am I SOL?

If you right click on the game title in your steam library to view the downloadable content is there no listing called 2014 character pack or something similar? If you pre-oredered you should have it there. If not you should contact Steam.

VashTS

So, Capcom kind of completely broke decapre in this version I think. She can no longer do U2 after target combo. Edit: or AA DP

Can anyone test this out? The grounded version of the U2 always comes out 100% of the time. Note I've been using decapre since day 1 on xbox.

I guess I'll stick to diffferent characters on pc until this is fixed.

Capcpom pls!!

I preordered the UK PS3 version from Amazon and just received my DLC code for the newcomer outfits, but it's telling me the codes invalid or no longer in use when I try to redeem it. Is the DLC not available to be redeemed yet here in the UK, or has Amazon given me a used code?

Never said that, just seeing the same boring ass character over and over again is not my style, this is why i don't have a main i can play with probably 15 characters...

I understand you're sentiment tho, I've been playing ken since sega genesis/laundry arcade machine era lol and somehow I'm not bored of the character fits my playstyle I guess ;P

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
ya, you pretty much never need to block low against elena lol.

At higher levels Elena has virtually no low-high game to speak of anyways. Just block high and punish EX mallet. If you are in slide range just focus and punish, she has nothing to stop you from doing so unless she wants to spend a bar. EX mallet is not as good as it seems.

That's why her optimal range is within cr.mk range imo. She does have high/low there.

Myn

For a short while I played SF4 through a Windows 7 virtual machine, it actually ran well but killed my battery. I would imagine through Bootcamp it would be even better.

Onemic

That's why her optimal range is within cr.mk range imo. She does have high/low there.

Problem is, cr.mk sorta sucks lol. It doesnt have good range so its use is pretty situational, unless you wanna take a gamble and walk forward cr.mkxx EX MS in neutral, it's pretty weak overall. Even doing it in neutral, someone that has experience against elena will block low then immediately block high and then punish you. Once you get to the level where people know how to deal with Elena's stuff she has to play very honest, as all her moves are too risky to just throw out. I use it, but only against people who I don't think know how Elena works(i.e. 99% of people online)

Her best range is within st.lk range as you have all your options. You could do an EX MS and it wont go over them, you can easily counter poke with cr.mp or st.hk. c.lp becomes a threat as well.

Marz

Never said that, just seeing the same boring ass character over and over again is not my style, this is why i don't have a main i can play with probably 15 characters...

Rather play someone who's really good with one character than someone who plays 15 and sucks with all of em.

Wow, Dudley is so much better now it's ridiculous. If it weren't for the lag, I'd play him exclusively online.

I get so mad when I drop simple ex MGB links then lose. Dudley doesn't get as many chances as other characters.

McNum

Hm, I want to fight some people online, but I don't really feel like I have a gameplan. I mean, I'm not good, but, you know, I should at least have something to go off so I don't just panic and start defeating myself. So, yeah, went to Multiplayer on Steam, saw there were people, and backed out.

I tried out the new people and my old standby Sakura in Training, and all of them felt... weird. Will have to investigate Sakura a bit. But I think I might like Rose better. She got a ton of buffs, anyway, so it might be time to actually sit down and learn Rose. And she seems somewhat simple to learn, at first glance.

Which does lead me to ask a very, very basic question to you guys. What does Rose WANT in a fight?

As far as I can tell, her pokes are amazing, pretty much anything MK, HK, cr. HP and several others are poking gold. Soul Spiral for chip when they're mid range, and Soul Spark to keep them on their toes at full screen. And, of course, Soul Throw for anti-air, if reactions permit it.

Her Reflects seem like something to learn. But I can see in Training that if the fireball is already out, it's too late to input the Reflect. Set up an Evil Ryu to spam different speed Hadokens at sort of random intervals. And if it's too late offline, then it's definitely too late online. So, I guess I have to read a fireball? Fun!

That's my basic read on her, but really... I don't know. What does a basic Rose do? Poke, block, counter, punish?

alstein

PC Update #3.

Just played with a friend cross-country 18 matches. Only noticed a lag spike once, and that was during a Hawk SPD didn't impact gameplay. Otherwise really smooth despite being a yellow bar, and my friend really gets annoyed by bad netcode and he wasn't complaining. No voice chat, and he knows what he's doing in terms of routers (I don't even have a router hooked up right now- my 10+ yr old military surplus router is probably bad by now)

Nabs

man had some unplaylable matches on steam, why ppl hated GFWL ?

GFWL is shit in general (try installing Dark Souls on a brand new Windows 8 setup), and has a really shitty region lock (only supports ~40 countries). It got lucky and somehow handled AE perfectly. Keep in mind, GFWL + Vanilla SF was complete ass. Capcom just got lucky with AE.

Just played with a friend cross-country 18 matches. Only noticed a lag spike once, and that was during a Hawk SPD didn't impact gameplay. Otherwise really smooth despite being a yellow bar, and my friend really gets annoyed by bad netcode and he wasn't complaining.

I've been able to play with folks in EU (I'm in the North East US) and it's been just fine. I think it all really depends on the persons setup (Mic possibly? Forwarded ports?). They supposedly fixed the memory leak from before, so I hope people who had work-around fixes have gotten rid of them.

Onemic

You can definitely react to fireballs with reflect. You're either timing it too early or too late if you're not getting them to connect.

Just won a bunch of matches in a row on PC as Sagat, then played against someone with their mic on that kept echoing the game sound and had mad lag spikes despite having solid connections prior. I hope they fix the voice volume stuff because I don't want to have to hear this shit in ranked. If the netcode were just consistent I wouldn't mind the laggy matches as much, but when it randomly slows down towards the end of a round and your inputs get screwed because of it...

alstein

You can definitely react to fireballs with reflect. You're either timing it too early or too late if you're not getting them to connect.

To me it character (plus lag) dependent.

Some chars it's a lot easier than others.

Sagat/Guile/Juri hardest to reflect IMO.

I preordered the UK PS3 version from Amazon and just received my DLC code for the newcomer outfits, but it's telling me the codes invalid or no longer in use when I try to redeem it. Is the DLC not available to be redeemed yet here in the UK, or has Amazon given me a used code?

Contact Sony/MS etc customer support and ask. On PSN if the code was used you get a message saying so, if it is invalid there is another problem.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Is there any way to turn off voice chat on PC? I turned the volume down to 0 in the options but it didn't really do anything.

There's an option to mute the mic in the sound options now. Or did you mean other players?

VashTS

Looks like capcom nerfed Decapre really fast

This sucks, she's not fun to play anymore without her U2 being combo-able. Can't AA dp into U2, can't target combo into U2. She can only do ground pound same side into it and counter hit cr. fp.

Looks like I'm not going to be using her anymore. Thanks for not just nerfing the dmg a little and instead taking the fun out of the game Capcom.

McNum

I tried closing my eyes and timing the button press on "HA" of "Hadoken". Any later than that and I got hit. So... huh. Back to the training room. Try to get it as late as possible. Also, try more enemies. Guile's slowest Sonic Boom should be easy to react to. Sagat going all Tiger-Tiger-Tiger is probably harder.

I really need to get the Reflect thing down if I'm going to promote Rose to main. Not because I expect to be Reflecting all over the place, but because if I don't, Reflect is just a dead move, or worse, a liability. Attempting to reflect something when I can't is just a fireball counter hit to the face. Worse than doing nothing.

Honestly, though, I think the gameplan has to be "Stay in MK-HK range, try to get a basic read on the opponent. And of course, block, block, block. Don't press a button unless it has a distinct purpose." And then try to harass the opponent with Rose's pokes. And back away a bit to get a max range Spiral in. It's basic, but it has to be. I'll worry about Super setups and Ultra 2 shenanigans later.

onionfrog

There's an option to mute the mic in the sound options now. Or did you mean other players?
I meant other players. I'm not fond of hearing echoes of other peoples game audio and fightstick button presses.

It was funny to hear a dude say "you got lucky" right after I won a ranked match though.

Connections have been a bit better so far today as well.

http://www.reddit.com/r/SF4/comments/2d0idk/usf4_pc_netcode_is_100_bugged_heres_why_network/

USF4 PC netcode is 100% bugged. no amount of placebo tweaks can make it better.

i just used Microsoft Network Monitor to analyze the connection during a GFWL match (thankfully a few people are still playing it) and compared it to a match on Steam.

on GFWL i played a dude from Poland: http://i.imgur.com/Y8fnKXx.png (the analyzed IP checks out: http://www.geoiptool.com/en/?IP=89.75.186.162)

on Steam i played a Swiss guy: http://i.imgur.com/kmWZp1Z.png (the analyzed IP checks out: http://www.geoiptool.com/en/?IP=80.219.44.253)

first of all, the difference was night and day. i'm from Romania, most of the time i have decent connections with Poland (60-70ms) and good connections with Switzerland (40-50ms). the match on GFWL with the Polish guy was almost perfect, on Steam with the Swiss player it was nigh unplayble.

notice how on the Steam network log there's a lot of UDP Binding Requests intercalated with actual game data. on GFWL there was NONE of that in 20k+ captured packets!

besides this, when you search for matches in Ranked/Endless, you establish a connection with every player that pops up in the results to gauge the connection quality. on GFWL it checked for a while and then stopped exchanging packets, on Steam it keeps exchanging UDP Binding Requests for a long, long time. even after you started a match with someone, you have that back and forth Binding Request spam in the background with all the people that popped up in your previous search results.

is Capcom aware of this? how can they be if they didn't fix this after 3 patches to the Steam version?
Boy I hope this is simple to fix.

Someone on reddit /r/sf4 found out that the game continues to ping the people you see in your search results even after you've found a game, so there's a network leak. This is why if you're in an endless lobby you may not lag as much.

Lol capcom whyyy

Edit: didn't see the post above

Ever since they moved to steam I don't think I've hit Abels change of direction FADC into cr.HP...now it all makes sense.

Swarna

I was having flawless sets with fellow Canadians in endless lobby. Everything else is just a mixed bag and it's mostly bad. Network leak seems like a really, really, stupid oversight.

Dubz

I meant other players. I'm not fond of hearing echoes of other peoples game audio and fightstick button presses.

It was funny to hear a dude say "you got lucky" right after I won a ranked match though.

Connections have been a bit better so far today as well.
You can mute players before the match starts. There's a mute option in the menu to the left.

Top Bottom