• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Welp, found a save file that lets me unlock all the titles (EX/Prize/Ultra), the colors, and the SFxT costumes that were blocked with that one patch 100%.

So... thanks, Capcom for blocking something that was easy to unlock? Also means I don't have to sit around and wait for the rest of the "Prize Title" codes to leak/unlock.

alstein

Welp, found a save file that lets me unlock all the titles (EX/Prize/Ultra), the colors, and the SFxT costumes that were blocked with that one patch 100%.

So... thanks, Capcom for blocking something that was easy to unlock? Also means I don't have to sit around and wait for the rest of the "Prize Title" codes to leak/unlock.

if only that save file let me keep 0 BP/0 PP.

vg260

Any personal bad matchups for you guys? Gen for me, no one at locals plays him, and I very rarely see him online, so when I do run into a good gen, I just don't really know how to deal with him.

Sakura wrecks me every time. I usually start out ok, but then end up in the corner and get destroyed.

Onemic

T Hawk and Gief are easily my worst MU's for me. It doesnt help that every character I play has a bad MU against them either.

hitsugi

T Hawk and Gief are easily my worst MU's for me. It doesnt help that every character I play has a bad MU against them either.

Hugo doesn't bug you? Generally T.Hawk and Hugo bother me more than Gief. Maybe I just haven't run into enough Hugo players to be familiar with him. The stuff that whiffs/hits with him still baffles me sometimes.

LakeEarth

Looking at my stats, my record is abnormally low for Cody, Ibuki and Dan, of all people. I guess I have a hard time dealing with frametrappy characters.

Voror

Planning on getting this soon though it's been some time since I played a fighting game. Sort of wondering if I should hold out for a PS4 version but that may not be worth it and I'm sure as hell not doin PS Now for a game like this.

Probably won't go online right away until I'm comfortable enough that I won't get slaughtered every match.

Onemic

Hugo doesn't bug you? Generally T.Hawk and Hugo bother me more than Gief. Maybe I just haven't run into enough Hugo players to be familiar with him. The stuff that whiffs/hits with him still baffles me sometimes.

He does but not as much as those two, especially in an online setting. With lag those two are S tier characters. A blocked green hand becomes almost unpunishable and pretty much turns into a mixup for gief.

LakeEarth

He does but not as much as those two, especially in an online setting. With lag those two are S tier characters. A blocked green hand becomes almost unpunishable and pretty much turns into a mixup for gief.

Yeah, if it is anything but a perfect connection, just go for the simple throw.

cHaotix8

Balrog stuff

Balrog has some pretty annoying stuff but most of what you have trouble with can be dealt with. EX headbutt is slow (12 frames), so every character should be able to meaty jab/short and recover in time to block. His fastest EX armor move is 7 frames and relies on back charge. If you get a knockdown/anti air, just steal his charge so you don't have to deal with it or go for a 7 frame safe jump. Or throw him out of it.

Wakeup hurtbox and his lack of feet (like Fei Long, it's impossible to hit them low!), I can't really help with. He's got some super annoying stuff (good backdash, better frame advantage on his high/lows), but is MOSTLY a straightforward character nowadays. Imagine if he still had his vanilla jab!

Mango Sent, I'm surprised you like the Rog matchup with Rufus. Aside from landing ultra full screen off of tornado on him, I don't see what else you have going for you in that matchup, lol.

My least favorite matchup with Dudley is definitely Fuerte. I can't really stop him from running around like an idiot due to my lack of reach, and he has good tools to deal with high low pressure.

Mango Sent, I'm surprised you like the Rog matchup with Rufus. Aside from landing ultra full screen off of tornado on him, I don't see what else you have going for you in that matchup, lol.

My least favorite matchup with Dudley is definitely Fuerte. I can't really stop him from running around like an idiot due to my lack of reach, and he has good tools to deal with high low pressure.
It might just be because I play extremely disrespectful and sometimes quite unorthodox. I also have a couple of solid Balrog players I play against regularly. But charge characters in general are easy to deal with as Rufus, in my opinion. Decapre is the exception right now.

Sagat vs Dhalsim match is the most common fight for me; 4 people that I played at work mained him. I like the Ryu in the Yang matchup but Gief is a terror. I am terribad though.

I love/hate Fuerte. Wish I could play him.

hitsugi

I think matchup-wise, there are only a few that are consistently annoying for me regardless of which character I'm using. Pretty much all of the grapplers are on that list and (I have to specify) good Yun or Dhalsim players.

Shoto vs shoto matches are probably my favorite to play.. I also like fighting against Sagat - I respect that character.

emag

I hate playing against Oni. So many gimmicks that I still don't know how to punish as Vega. Whether I win or lose it's no fun.

I have trouble against good Cody and Ibuki players, too, due to being locked down and yet not being able to pressure on wakeup, but I can respect the players for outplaying me there.

Aside from all the terrible matchups that Dhalsim already has, I struggle against Boxer, Vega and Gouken.
Yoga Shangri-la is fairly effective against Boxer and Claw, I found. Can't really comment on Ultra Gouken.

I have never won against a Guy player. I just dont know what is going on.
Guy in Super SFIV used to be fun for Dhalsim. Standing medium punch would stuff damn near everything, be it airborne or grounded. Guy couldn't even slide under it.

emag

Is there any simple way to disable any or all alternate costumes in the Steam version of Ultra? Some of them are so ugly as to be distracting.

I suppose I could try modding all characters by making multiple copies each any every standard costume to override all of the alternates, but is there an easier solution?

mbpm1

ggs kadey

learned that juri's mid projectile missed a crouching andre, but not a high.

dis game...

Juri's mid projectile is designed to miss crouching people. High projectile isn't. This is also why Sagat's high tiger shots don't hit Hugo, and why cody's hop kick, despite passing directly into his chest, will whiff on a crouching Hugo.

Marz

So I've started throwing out random uppercuts every once in a while after blocked jaguar kicks and tiger knees and my win rate has skyrocketed lol.

People love mashing after they block a jaguar kick from Adon for whatever reason. Then I get a free ultra 2.

mbpm1

So I've started throwing out random uppercuts every once in a while after blocked jaguar kicks and tiger knees and my win rate has skyrocketed lol.

People love mashing after they block a jaguar kick from Adon for whatever reason. Then I get a free ultra 2.

Oh, you never did that before? The stupid dp or throw mixup after jaguar kicks has gotten me so many times.

XBL | Marz

I hate players that depend on 50/50 guesses like that, but oh well. Gotta do what you gotta do.

This is good. That disrespectful stupid play is the way of life.

It's why this game is so fucking stupid.

you always did that though! marz classic!

anyway to get the original SF4 costumes for Ultra on PC?
they don't seem to be on the steam store page for Street Fighter 4 and the only ones on Ultra's page are the vacation pack and the Super ones :'(, am I being silly/blind or something?

hitsugi

For special move inputs maybe, but there a reason many people cannot FADC into ultra and why 1 frame linking uses retarded methods to make them reliable.

Just to cover ST - it goes beyond that. double tapping is worse than plinking, reversals actually have some kind of input window, tech throws are harder (and you still lose health and get put into a mix-up situation), etc... we won't even get into crouch cancel infinites in A3, side-specific combos, or 3s.

That isn't to say there isn't anything in SF4 that requires high execution, but it the game is fundamentally easier than it's predecessors.

Just to cover ST - it goes beyond that. double tapping is worse than plinking, reversals actually have some kind of input window, tech throws are harder (and you still lose health and get put into a mix-up situation), etc... we won't even get into crouch cancel infinites in A3, side-specific combos, or 3s.

That isn't to say there isn't anything in SF4 that requires high execution, but it the game is fundamentally easier than it's predecessors.

I've mentioned it before, but I think 3s is one of the easiest games out there as far as execution goes. SF4 is actually one of the more difficult SF games execution wise, in my opinion. The only thing in 3s I can think of that is difficult is kara palms.

i dunno i feel that i have a better chance in sf4 than in 3rd strike (i think im a better 3rd strike player than sf4)

in sf4 i feel like comebacks are always possible, or at least games can be closer than you think.

in 3rd strike, either you get roflstomped or do the roflstomping both rounds, or uphill battle constantly.

Top Bottom