• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

stn

Execution is very tight in SF3, especially timing. SF4 has some hard stuff but overall its easy. I feel the difference between the two every time I play 3S: OE.

i dunno i feel that i have a better chance in sf4 than in 3rd strike (i think im a better 3rd strike player than sf4)

in sf4 i feel like comebacks are always possible, or at least games can be closer than you think.

in 3rd strike, either you get roflstomped or do the roflstomping both rounds, or uphill battle constantly.

I'd agree. Dunno if what you said was in response to me, but I do agree with you. I was talking about actual execution though, not competing. 3s is one of the most difficult games to compete at. Playing it is easy though. I think there's been maybe a handful of times where I've felt the need to go into training and practice something. The training mode was shit, so that didn't help anything, haha.

Edit: Oh and comebacks seem way more likely to happen in 3s, in my opinion. I mean sf4 has actual comeback mechanics that can change shit pretty instantly, but so can one single parry.

emag

Just to cover ST - it goes beyond that. double tapping is worse than plinking, reversals actually have some kind of input window, tech throws are harder (and you still lose health and get put into a mix-up situation), etc... we won't even get into crouch cancel infinites in A3, side-specific combos, or 3s.

That isn't to say there isn't anything in SF4 that requires high execution, but it the game is fundamentally easier than it's predecessors.

I totally disagree. Double tapping is very simple (and you don't have to worry about EX moves coming out instead) and is only relevant for reversals anyway, since linking normals together is very rare, while throwing is a single button that's automatically option-selected into a medium/fierce attack and much more powerful on "defense".

Sure, there are very particular things that are more difficult in other games, but they are few and far between. SFIV notably allows for sloppy inputs for special moves, but in every other way is the most universally execution-heavy SF game by far.

Just putting an odd request out to see if any US gaffer would be able to help an Aussie obtain this Ultra street fighter 4 eguide off bradygames. They only take US credit cards (no paypal) and the guide is not pdf meaning you'd need to buy it and transfer the bradygames account to me. I guess this requires a bit of trust, of which I only really have a couple B/S/T transactions and consistent GAF account, but if you are willing to help please shoot me a PM or add me on steam (http://steamcommunity.com/id/MrTeachwell/home/)

Nyoro SF

Just putting an odd request out to see if any US gaffer would be able to help an Aussie obtain this Ultra street fighter 4 eguide off bradygames. They only take US credit cards (no paypal) and the guide is not pdf meaning you'd need to buy it and transfer the bradygames account to me. I guess this requires a bit of trust, of which I only really have a couple B/S/T transactions and consistent GAF account, but if you are willing to help please shoot me a PM or add me on steam (http://steamcommunity.com/id/MrTeachwell/home/)

If you're looking for frame data there are free apps for smartphones, if you have one.

If you're looking for frame data there are free apps for smartphones, if you have one.

thanks, I kinda just wanted the convenience of having a bunch of info in one place that I could load up on a second monitor (a few basic combos, frame data, simple strats) but cheers I hadn't thought to look there so I'll see what the android market has on offer.

Edit : I've found someone to help thanks for the replies.

Nyoro SF

thanks, I kinda just wanted the convenience of having a bunch of info in one place that I could load up on a second monitor (a few basic combos, frame data, simple strats) but cheers I hadn't thought to look there so I'll see what the android market has on offer.

I use one called FA-Tool, very useful.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
anyway to get the original SF4 costumes for Ultra on PC?
they don't seem to be on the steam store page for Street Fighter 4 and the only ones on Ultra's page are the vacation pack and the Super ones :'(, am I being silly/blind or something?

Save file that I posted unlocks all costumes except Preorder and Summer ones.

alstein

So, I did not play PC Ultra in 2+ weeks. Have there been improvements to online? A patch, maybe?

beta patch is an improvement, going to be the real patch at some point, but not yet.

Also Kadey your save file you had put up is now deleted according to mediafire unless you put up a newer one. (hopefully it's 0/0)

hitsugi

Private lobbies are still screwed as well. Online play was fine for a week when the opt-in beta launched, but it's worse than it was prior to that patch now.

The game ITSELF is better than any console port, but Steam is killing online play.

Trickster

*sigh* This game gets so unfun to play sometimes

I want to play a bit of ranked. And all I get are people with 3 times my pp, 4 times my pp, 5 times my pp. Yeah, because that's sure to be a real fun time for me, right?...

I love how in Hugo's summer alt his chain just constantly clips through his fucking face. Shit must hurt bro.

And twice during my last session Sagat's U1 completely missed Decapre in the corner. Like it missed Sagat vs Sagat style.

Capcom, wtf.

Finally back on GAF using my PC. Last week I decided to try and login using a tablet. The password I thought was right didn't work. So I log out of here on my PC and try again, but it still doesn't work. So I use the old email that I thought was right. Turns out it was the wrong one. I registered in 2006 and I have no idea what I used back then. Shouta helped me out though so it's good to be able to post again using a keyboard. I was still logged in with my phone but I hate typing on that thing. Only used it a few times to talk about the CPT Asia Finals in the FGW thread. But anyways, to stay on topic.....

Any personal bad matchups for you guys?

As a Evil Ryu player the ones that stick out the most are Viper, Rose, and Balrog stick out the most. I could name more but I feel like those are the ones that I struggle with the most regardless of how good my opponent is. If we're on a similar level, I feel like it's a 7-3 in their favor already because I just struggle that badly. Even the guys that struggle to get 2k PP can still give me all kinds of trouble.

Sometimes I just want to counter pick but with Rose and Rog anyways I want to keep fighting that uphill battle. But not Viper, fuck her. I run into one and lose, I'm going straight to Yun next time we play. Sometimes the only way to beat derp is to out derp them.

EDIT: Wow, I just realized we got moved to the community forum. No wonder I couldn't find this thread in the Gaming forum. I guess every game thread that reaches 10k goes here? I was wondering when that would happen. No biggie, at least this thread will be easier to find from now on.

alstein

Private lobbies are still screwed as well. Online play was fine for a week when the opt-in beta launched, but it's worse than it was prior to that patch now.

The game ITSELF is better than any console port, but Steam is killing online play.

I must be the only person who rarely has problems. I've even played NC to CA and had good solid connections. I just can't go back to console (and literally can't because I sold it)

Finally back on GAF using my PC. Last week I decided to try and login using a tablet. The password I thought was right didn't work. So I log out of here on my PC and try again, but it still doesn't work. So I use the old email that I thought was right. Turns out it was the wrong one. I registered in 2006 and I have no idea what I used back then. Shouta helped me out though so it's good to be able to post again using a keyboard. I was still logged in with my phone but I hate typing on that thing. Only used it a few times to talk about the CPT Asia Finals in the FGW thread. But anyways, to stay on topic.....

As a Evil Ryu player the ones that stick out the most are Viper, Rose, and Balrog stick out the most. I could name more but I feel like those are the ones that I struggle with the most regardless of how good my opponent is. If we're on a similar level, I feel like it's a 7-3 in their favor already because I just struggle that badly. Even the guys that struggle to get 2k PP can still give me all kinds of trouble.

Sometimes I just want to counter pick but with Rose and Rog anyways I want to keep fighting that uphill battle. But not Viper, fuck her. I run into one and lose, I'm going straight to Yun next time we play. Sometimes the only way to beat derp is to out derp them.

EDIT: Wow, I just realized we got moved to the community forum. No wonder I couldn't find this thread in the Gaming forum. I guess every game thread that reaches 10k goes here? I was wondering when that would happen. No biggie, at least this thread will be easier to find from now on.

You know you could just subscribe to thread, lol.....

Just saying.

And after playing Evil Ryu for the last couple of months, I have to say that he is really fun to use. Glad I picked him up. My yolo shit gets me killed sometimes though.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
i dunno i feel that i have a better chance in sf4 than in 3rd strike (i think im a better 3rd strike player than sf4)

in sf4 i feel like comebacks are always possible, or at least games can be closer than you think.

in 3rd strike, either you get roflstomped or do the roflstomping both rounds, or uphill battle constantly.

heh heh I did a search for my Live handle on youtube, forgot I had uploaded this a while back:

Ken Destruction

Always fun to beat down that blonde pretty boy.

You know you could just subscribe to thread, lol.....

Just saying.

And after playing Evil Ryu for the last couple of months, I have to say that he is really fun to use. Glad I picked him up. My yolo shit gets me killed sometimes though.

I am subscribed actually, but when it comes to just looking at the first page or two it'll be much easier to find it here compared to the Gaming side is what I meant.

As for Evil Ryu, he's my favorite fighting game character of all time. I love his tools, his damage, and hitting those FADC combos and low confirms are so satisfying for me.

I am subscribed actually, but when it comes to just looking at the first page or two it'll be much easier to find it here compared to the Gaming side is what I meant.

As for Evil Ryu, he's my favorite fighting game character of all time. I love his tools, his damage, and hitting those FADC combos and low confirms are so satisfying for me.

Yeah, every time I hit one of those super long ass combos I have a giant grin on my face. The only thing I don't like about the guy is that his U2 makes you switch sides if you land the cinematic version of it. Since I usually hit people with it while they're in the corner, I just end up putting myself in the corner temporarily.

Myn

Anyone still playing ranked and such online, report back with the number of Rolentos you ran into tomorrow.

alstein

Anyone still playing ranked and such online, report back with the number of Rolentos you ran into tomorrow.

Ultra has been the first game where I've been accused of bandwagoning, I played Rose a ton, Hawk some started in AE, and picked up Rolento when this game came out.

I did drop Honda mostly in Ultra outside of counterpicking. He just sucks worse than Dee Jay now.

hitsugi

Satsui No Yun

Yun is fun. Against the low hanging fruit on steam, he allows me to get wins without really paying attention to the game.. My brain is free to contemplate other things while I press LP a few more times to quadruple hit confirm before doing s.MP -> DP.

Also - I haven't seen an increase in Rolento players. You likely won't because he isn't on the same level of pick up and play that Rose is. Even though Nemo won, the consensus did not change with regard to Rolento; no one is saying he's good or that he became any better due to that tournament win - it's more like Nemo is good, but screw playing Rolento.

I played Yun and Evil Ryu in AE, where they were completely normal, pretty neglected characters. Now I feel like a dirty conformist.

Those Rolentos were weird. I don't remember any particular displays of traditional footsies or even anti-air, they were just jumping and rolling all over all the time.

xCobalt

I never knew Rolento could do his air attack after EX Stinger. I knew you could juggle with several other moves but never really bothered to try his air attack. Gotta find out if it works on the whole cast or if its character specific.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
if only that save file let me keep 0 BP/0 PP.

It should. You start off with 0BP/PP. But apparently (don't quote me since I NEVER play online, double so with QLOC's shitty port job ruining the online even more now) going online will reset your BP/PP to what it was before you changed the save file.

Though, I'm not sure if the save has the SF4 costumes included. I just know it gave me the titles/emblems (which I wanted), the SFvsJuggle costumes (meh, but those were "patched out" so fuck Capcom for that), and all the colors for the DLC/normals if you bought the DLC"all-in" pack for the other characters.

Onemic

Yun is fun. Against the low hanging fruit on steam, he allows me to get wins without really paying attention to the game.. My brain is free to contemplate other things while I press LP a few more times to quadruple hit confirm before doing s.MP -> DP.

Yup, he's truly the Elena alt I've always needed but never wanted. He counters all her bad MU's perfectly(save for grapplers). I got tired of getting curb stomped by Bisons and Chuns all day long. :p

xCobalt

Finally figured out how to do EX Stinger into Air Raid. Took me way longer than it should. It's definitely character specific but leaves Rolento in a decent position afterwards.

Venfayth

OYd1a9M.jpg

Goodnight sweet prince

mbpm1

I feel the same way about Ken sometimes. Especially after playing Decapre.

Hey guys, random question from a scrublet.

Can you plink unique attacks? Does it work that way as well?

Like for example: Guy's Ninja Sickle link after St.HK. Does plinking the Ninja Sickle make the link any easier or does plinking rules not apply to Unique Attacks?

Top Bottom