• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

cHaotix8

Man is rolento a hard character to pick up. I feel like he really has no get out of jail moves. Also how in the world do I deal with people who turtle; I feel like I always have to be on the offensive.

I also noticed that rolento's arms are extremely tanned and his legs are pale, while playing in his summer outfit... I guess Capcom is paying attention to detail considering that his default outfit has his legs covered

He's a runaway character with high mobility decent mixup options. Try laming it out to frustrate your opponent so that you can force them to make a mistake and get damage.

Stuneseht

He's a runaway character with high mobility decent mixup options. Try laming it out to frustrate your opponent so that you can force them to make a mistake and get damage.
Oh ok. Then I was playing him way to aggressively. Sometimes I feel like my biggest problem is doing nothing. When my opponent decides to do nothing, I always feel compelled to continue to advance forward by throwing limbs out.
Thanks for the tips!!

alstein

Man is rolento a hard character to pick up. I feel like he really has no get out of jail moves. Also how in the world do I deal with people who turtle; I feel like I always have to be on the offensive.

I also noticed that rolento's arms are extremely tanned and his legs are pale, while playing in his summer outfit... I guess Capcom is paying attention to detail considering that his default outfit has his legs covered

Folks who can block Rolento's high/low mixup are a pain for him, but Rolento has some options. You can try to be a ghetto Blanka and do roll into throw- recovery is low enough for that to work. Rolento's throw seems pretty good.

Also Rolento has some good instant overheads, so you can pull annoying Chun-Li ripoff tactics as well, his jump RH is very similar to hers, and jump fierce works as well for that purpose.

People tend to not upload their losses, that's definitely true. I took a quick look on youtube but only found a couple of matches between you and some Sagat player - probably the one you mentioned doing random DPs. I want to see some of those loops man!

Funny that you mention that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xkz5mhVYoU&t=2m16s

And what got me so upset is that I hit all the 1f links and the harder 2f links, but I drop the SRK at the end which is the easiest link among all the links in this. I had 4 frames to hit but I dropped it and then somehow neutral jumped. I wish that was intentional but it wasn't :(

I've been working on these links a lot more lately. I've been doing so much better in the training room and that's slowly transitioning to actual matches. I still drop it too often in real matches, but I'm seeing progress at least. These are the kind of combos I wouldn't dare attempt just a month ago. And with that upload I am now 12-8 in matches I've uploaded of myself.

hitsugi

Funny that you mention that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xkz5mhVYoU&t=2m16s

And what got me so upset is that I hit all the 1f links and the harder 2f links, but I drop the SRK at the end which is the easiest link among all the links in this. I had 4 frames to hit but I dropped it and then somehow neutral jumped. I wish that was intentional but it wasn't :(

I've been working on these links a lot more lately. I've been doing so much better in the training room and that's slowly transitioning to actual matches. I still drop it too often in real matches, but I'm seeing progress at least. These are the kind of combos I wouldn't dare attempt just a month ago. And with that upload I am now 12-8 in matches I've uploaded of myself.

Nice, man. I usually do the c.LP, s.HP link in between FADCs, is there any reason you go for close s.MP instead?

Don't feel bad about missing the DP either! I strangely hit 8x axe kick combos only to screw up the last c.MP -> hurricane kick sometimes. Then I lose the match... It's the most anticlimactic thing D: I wonder if demon would have killed there or a more generic combo starting with red focus.

I always have trouble deciding on a shoto to play. I want to play Akuma, but it's also intimidating because of all the character-specific mixups and option selects he has, so I feel obligated to learn those. I played Evil Ryu for a while, but I'm not sure right now.

You could play someone that's not a shoto. :^)

I play Dudley, ideally. But I also want to play a shoto because they're fun, don't have a steep learning curve, and teach you about fireball spacing. Plus I tend to play as characters who might not be in future Street Fighter games or have no equivalent in other fighting games, so it helps overall to learn a shoto.

stn

Play Gouken! I picked him up as my main recently, he's great. He's got the best fireball out of the shotos, he probably has the best damage, and he's fun to play. Also, he's not complicated in that you need to memorize a billion setups and boring OS'es. Also, not enough people play him.

Go go go!

I used to play him. He's not really what I'm looking for right now, though. He's so different that I don't really even think of him as a shoto. Usually I just play Ryu with alt 3 so I can pretend he's a different, slightly-less generic character. I like how many tools Akuma has, it's just difficult to feel like you're using him "right."

I can't play right now anyway. My power cord shorted out and I'm waiting for a new PCB to get here.

Nice, man. I usually do the c.LP, s.HP link in between FADCs, is there any reason you go for close s.MP instead?

Don't feel bad about missing the DP either! I strangely hit 8x axe kick combos only to screw up the last c.MP -> hurricane kick sometimes. Then I lose the match... It's the most anticlimactic thing D: I wonder if demon would have killed there or a more generic combo starting with red focus.

Thank link is too hard for me. I can't select plink or double tap so trying to single tap a 1f link is too difficult. That's why I use cl. MP, I can plink that.

And in close matches I'll admit I settle for easier combos a lot. I'll pass up the axe kick because I'm too afraid of dropping it when the next mash can get me killed. And speaking of mashing, I don't understand why so many people do it against Evil Ryu during that combo. Take Ryu for example, if I drop my link I'm going to get hit by a heavy DP. That's 160 damage, not bad. But if the guy waited for me to drop my link he could do cr. MP, cr. HP, HP SRK for 278 damage instead. Whenever I play the mirror I never mash unless my opponent has meter and I'm predicting that he'll go burn it for FADC to extend the combo.

kiaaa

Thank link is too hard for me. I can't select plink or double tap so trying to single tap a 1f link is too difficult. That's why I use cl. MP, I can plink that.

And in close matches I'll admit I settle for easier combos a lot. I'll pass up the axe kick because I'm too afraid of dropping it when the next mash can get me killed. And speaking of mashing, I don't understand why so many people do it against Evil Ryu during that combo. Take Ryu for example, if I drop my link I'm going to get hit by a heavy DP. That's 160 damage, not bad. But if the guy waited for me to drop my link he could do cr. MP, cr. HP, HP SRK for 278 damage instead. Whenever I play the mirror I never mash unless my opponent has meter and I'm predicting that he'll go burn it for FADC to extend the combo.

People that mash aren't waiting for a specific opening. They're trying to hit any window you might leave open by dropping a combo and it doesn't require any knowledge of good punishes either.

People that mash aren't waiting for a specific opening. They're trying to hit any window you might leave open by dropping a combo and it doesn't require any knowledge of good punishes either.

I think it's more then that, I think it's more about awareness. Or in this case, the lack of it. Remember how the commentators always say that if you have Ultra and block a DP, you have to be ready to punish with that. But almost everybody goes for their normal grounded punish for around 250-300 damage instead. I'm guilty of that as well(although it helps that my punish can go up to 373 meterless). This is pretty much a situation where you see yourself getting hit and you're like "OMG get off of me".

Against Sakura, mashing makes sense. Her missing a link normally results in a -1 from a blocked LK tatsu. With Evil Ryu, if you block it high, his LK tatsu is -9. And it's even worse if you crouch because the tatsu completely whiffs. If I played right beside my opponent and told him/her that I'm pretty sure they would start looking for it. It's much easier to sit there and react when you're getting pummeled then react to a DP coming out of no where and it takes you a little too long to figure out what you need to do unless you already planned to look for it.

A pretty solid player kept hitting me with Evil Ryu's kara demon. I can't even be mad about that. Shit is so slick. Wish I could do it.

Oh and speaking of mashing, I got the best hatemail today that I've gotten in a few weeks.

"U just love pressing every fucking button don't you. Little miserable piece of shit. Learn how to fucking play and stop mashing"

All I said was "mashing works. And yes I do love it"

I'm just wondering why me mashing means I don't know how to play. I beat the guy 15-4. Clearly I'm doing something right.

Myn

I always go for throw to punish anything because my brain is too slow. lol

Also, anybody open for some games on Steam after the Tekken 7 announcement? Homework is burning me out and I need a break...

OceanBlue

I think it's more then that, I think it's more about awareness. Or in this case, the lack of it. Remember how the commentators always say that if you have Ultra and block a DP, you have to be ready to punish with that. But almost everybody goes for their normal grounded punish for around 250-300 damage instead. I'm guilty of that as well(although it helps that my punish can go up to 373 meterless). This is pretty much a situation where you see yourself getting hit and you're like "OMG get off of me".

Against Sakura, mashing makes sense. Her missing a link normally results in a -1 from a blocked LK tatsu. With Evil Ryu, if you block it high, his LK tatsu is -9. And it's even worse if you crouch because the tatsu completely whiffs. If I played right beside my opponent and told him/her that I'm pretty sure they would start looking for it. It's much easier to sit there and react when you're getting pummeled then react to a DP coming out of no where and it takes you a little too long to figure out what you need to do unless you already planned to look for it.

I thought LK tatsu being -1 on block was reverted back to 0 before Ultra hit arcades.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Play Gouken! I picked him up as my main recently, he's great. He's got the best fireball out of the shotos, he probably has the best damage, and he's fun to play. Also, he's not complicated in that you need to memorize a billion setups and boring OS'es. Also, not enough people play him.

Go go go!

Yes! I just went back to Gouken for the first time since Vanilla SF4--he was my first main back then. Completely forgot how much fun he was to use.

Didn't think I would put Hugo down for any extended period of time but I've been all Gouken the past week or so (aside from Random select in a few Endless matches).

On a personal note, back in Vanilla, my kids use to watch me play a lot, so I still have a drawing my daughter did of Gouken beating Dhalsim. She was like 6 at the time. It's the cutest thing ever. I saw the drawing down in my basement the other day while cleaning, and that's what got me back to Gouken.

stn

I haven't gotten any replies but I figured I'd try again. Would anyone like to play tonight on 360? I have a mic and like chatting, too. Eastern Standard Time. I play Gouken and Rolento.

I'm really tired of constantly looking for endless matches, getting kicked out for no reason, and then repeating all of that. I just wanna play. ...Please?

hitsugi

Can't wait for Omega Mode, hopefully Rose will be full blown Alpha 2 status, aka Omega SF4 "and you thought people bitched about Rose after Evo" Edition.

Anyone unfamiliar with A2 Rose should seriously take a look at her there. She wasn't the best, but that c.strong all day

cHaotix8

I haven't gotten any replies but I figured I'd try again. Would anyone like to play tonight on 360? I have a mic and like chatting, too. Eastern Standard Time. I play Gouken and Rolento.

I'm really tired of constantly looking for endless matches, getting kicked out for no reason, and then repeating all of that. I just wanna play. ...Please?

I would but I just donated my console to a 2 day tournament so I'm stuck on Steam/PSN for the time being.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Capcom should have just given us Remy for Omega levels of style. Guile ain't pullin off those Cold Blue Kicks.

ColdBlueKick.gif

Myn

ggs Myn!
hope i didn't have too many bad habits from online :C

GGs, no you're fine!! The people I was talking about last page ago was like a Guy player that kept doing fullscreen slides, T Hawk that literally did nothing but condor spire and wakeup spd, Gouken that didn't know what a normal move was, just really random stuff... I understand risky and offensive playstyles exist but the random lobbies I tried out were mostly full of people that used like one move over and over.

I'd rather keep playing you and others from this thread whenever I go online. Endless is a goof around and casual mode but I know when you guys pick your subs or go random, you at least know the fundamentals of the character.

GGs, no you're fine!! The people I was talking about last page ago was like a Guy player that kept doing fullscreen slides, T Hawk that literally did nothing but condor spire and wakeup spd, Gouken that didn't know what a normal move was, just really random stuff... I understand risky and offensive playstyles exist but the random lobbies I tried out were mostly full of people that used like one move over and over.

I'd rather keep playing you and others from this thread whenever I go online. Endless is a goof around and casual mode but I know when you guys pick your subs or go random, you at least know the fundamentals of the character.

That reminds me, even though we've been on each others friends list since week 1 of USF4 PC I don't think we've ever played each other. Infact I haven't played a number of you guys despite us being on each others friends list. I guess we're just not running into each other at the right time.

I would be down to play right now but I have to let my hand recover. One of my training regiments lately is to do a certain FADC combo 5 times in a row. With the last one FADC'ing my SRK into Ultra. It has three 1f links so it's not a easy combo. Yesterday I nailed it in probably 15 minutes. Today I spent probably an hour on it. I must have dropped it when going for 5 in a row 10+ times. I started getting sweaty and my hands started going numb but I refused to give up until I got it and I finally did. At times I felt like I wasn't even paying attention and the muscle memory and was able to finish the combo because I had been doing it so long. Not something I want to go through again. Hopefully it won't take so long the next time I practice this.

That reminds me, even though we've been on each others friends list since week 1 of USF4 PC I don't think we've ever played each other. Infact I haven't played a number of you guys despite us being on each others friends list. I guess we're just not running into each other at the right time.

I would be down to play right now but I have to let my hand recover. One of my training regiments lately is to do a certain FADC combo 5 times in a row. With the last one FADC'ing my SRK into Ultra. It has three 1f links so it's not a easy combo. Yesterday I nailed it in probably 15 minutes. Today I spent probably an hour on it. I must have dropped it when going for 5 in a row 10+ times. I started getting sweaty and my hands started going numb but I refused to give up until I got it and I finally did. At times I felt like I wasn't even paying attention and the muscle memory and was able to finish the combo because I had been doing it so long. Not something I want to go through again. Hopefully it won't take so long the next time I practice this.

i've been filing my GUY for your E.Ryu for weeks Rice.

gimme the time and date!

Top Bottom