• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

On a side note, anyone know if there's a way to stop Eryu from doing blockstrings into Axe kick all day (as Ken)? I thought you could throw him out of it bc I saw it in Topanga or the MCZ Exhibition but I've had no luck with that at all and I don't want to risk a DP against Eryu when he can just not do it or the axe kick will trade. I played one guy a few matches and he kept doing it so often that I swear one time he fricking stunned me even with blockstrings. I won a few times but I want to know if there's a way to stop that shit.

I'm just guessing, but I think the guy might be doing cr. MK into LK axe kick. The one that you saw Daigo go thrown out of(it was against Nemo at TGS) was cr. MK into the MK axe kick. He does that because it's much safer on block at -2. But the start up for the MK version is 3f longer than the LK version so their is a bigger gap to stuff the axe kick or throw him like Nemo did. With the LK version, the window is 3f smaller so throwing Evil Ryu out of it might not be possible. I've had people trade their jabs with me in my favor so that's not a good idea either.

The good thing for you is that the LK version is very unsafe on block(-7) and you can't really space it to make it safe. Ken can almost always punish with cr. MK > EX tatsu, sweep(1f punish though), or HP SRK. Super works as well if you have that. So if you're afraid of punishing it because you can't properly react to whether he cancels it into a axe kick or not, just let him do it and punish him on block. If he switches to the MK version, you can just jab in between the special cancel and stuff it. Easier said than done though, I can't really deal with it that well either and this is my character.

Pretty happy with myself, placed 5th at locals, no videos, never made it on stream. Alucard got the best of me again, his clap pressure with Hugo is so damn good and then Balrog, forever Blanka's bane :( Overall glad with how it turned out, finally getting a good control on my nerves.

mbpm1

It's always a fun time when someone decides to focus fireballs for half his lifebar and then gets hit by the EX and loses all his life.

I'm just guessing, but I think the guy might be doing cr. MK into LK axe kick. The one that you saw Daigo go thrown out of(it was against Nemo at TGS) was cr. MK into the MK axe kick. He does that because it's much safer on block at -2. But the start up for the MK version is 3f longer than the LK version so their is a bigger gap to stuff the axe kick or throw him like Nemo did. With the LK version, the window is 3f smaller so throwing Evil Ryu out of it might not be possible. I've had people trade their jabs with me in my favor so that's not a good idea either.

The good thing for you is that the LK version is very unsafe on block(-7) and you can't really space it to make it safe. Ken can almost always punish with cr. MK > EX tatsu, sweep(1f punish though), or HP SRK. Super works as well if you have that. So if you're afraid of punishing it because you can't properly react to whether he cancels it into a axe kick or not, just let him do it and punish him on block. If he switches to the MK version, you can just jab in between the special cancel and stuff it. Easier said than done though, I can't really deal with it that well either and this is my character.

So it's either unsafe or safe on hit or during cancel, depending on the version. I guess it's legit then =| Thanks anyway

So I have a question about the mentality of SF players, well fighting game players in general really, so I may also post this in FGW.

I was at a buddies house the other day and we were playing Ultra online. I've been wanting to pick up Elena so I decided to play her (this shit is rough) and this guy joined the endless room I created. He had about 2500+ PP, so I figured he would be somewhat decent, and he had something like 3000+ BP with three of the four characters he used against me. We only played 4 matches. He used Ryu, Oni, Dee Jay (0 BP), and Elena. He beat me ass with every character as expected. After the second match with Oni he started to taunt me almost every round, and bounce up and down and shit. Once he left he sent a message. "That's how you use Elena you fucking scrub. If you can't do her links then don't bother playing her. I even beat your ass with Deejay"
My buddy was pissed off. I was like whatever since shit like that doesn't bother me, especially because I was using a character I had no experience with.

A couple of days later my friend stops by my place and we play online for a bit. That same dude joins my room, but it's under my gamertag so he has no idea it's us. I decide to not fuck around with him and I destroy him in the first match. I end up getting a perfect on the second round. My buddy gets all crazy and is like "Kick this stupid bitch, don't give him a chance", and I'm just like, no. I wreck him like 3 more times and he sends me a message saying I only know how to play my one cheap ass character and I was getting lucky. I proceed to annihilate him for about 15 more matches or something using all different characters until he decides to leave. My friend was disappointed that I never taunted or kicked him or anything. Well I did send the guy a message that said something like "Oh remember the Elena player you beat the other day with Ryu, Oni, Dee Jay, and Elena? Yeah that was me. GG's. Til next time"

So my question is, why would I have kicked him? I notice this is a common trend. And I'm not knocking anyone that does it. But why would you want to kick someone after one match? I get SO much more satisfaction just beating someone's ass until they just want to leave.

Sorry about the long story, but I felt the question needed context.

I don't kick people unless they already played and it was too laggy. If I'm winning it makes me look like a jerk and if I'm losing they'll just think I'm some sort of angry scrub, so I just leave the lobby.

I tried to only send messages (you can't now that no more GFWL) to people after beating them as their character to try to be helpful. You don't want to go talking shit to somebody only for them to be really nice and/ or overall better than you.

Onemic

So I have a question about the mentality of SF players, well fighting game players in general really, so I may also post this in FGW.

I was at a buddies house the other day and we were playing Ultra online. I've been wanting to pick up Elena so I decided to play her (this shit is rough) and this guy joined the endless room I created. He had about 2500+ PP, so I figured he would be somewhat decent, and he had something like 3000+ BP with three of the four characters he used against me. We only played 4 matches. He used Ryu, Oni, Dee Jay (0 BP), and Elena. He beat me ass with every character as expected. After the second match with Oni he started to taunt me almost every round, and bounce up and down and shit. Once he left he sent a message. "That's how you use Elena you fucking scrub. If you can't do her links then don't bother playing her. I even beat your ass with Deejay"
My buddy was pissed off. I was like whatever since shit like that doesn't bother me, especially because I was using a character I had no experience with.

A couple of days later my friend stops by my place and we play online for a bit. That same dude joins my room, but it's under my gamertag so he has no idea it's us. I decide to not fuck around with him and I destroy him in the first match. I end up getting a perfect on the second round. My buddy gets all crazy and is like "Kick this stupid bitch, don't give him a chance", and I'm just like, no. I wreck him like 3 more times and he sends me a message saying I only know how to play my one cheap ass character and I was getting lucky. I proceed to annihilate him for about 15 more matches or something using all different characters until he decides to leave. My friend was disappointed that I never taunted or kicked him or anything. Well I did send the guy a message that said something like "Oh remember the Elena player you beat the other day with Ryu, Oni, Dee Jay, and Elena? Yeah that was me. GG's. Til next time"

So my question is, why would I have kicked him? I notice this is a common trend. And I'm not knocking anyone that does it. But why would you want to kick someone after one match? I get SO much more satisfaction just beating someone's ass until they just want to leave.

I hate people like this. It's like some people dont want new players to learn the game. I remember when I first started playing SF and was under 1kpp struggling using Ryu, this was the norm for the mail I got and it actually made me want to quit playing SF entirely many times. I mean why taunt someone who is clearly inexperienced and new to the game? Is your ego that fragile it needs to be stroked by beating players less experienced than you and then proceed to tell them that they suck afterwards?

stn

Because lots of people online are immature idiots who feel like they need to bully people in order to compensate for all the other areas in life they are missing out on? There are literally times when, win or lose, I'll prepare to send a "ggs" message after a few matches with the same person. Then, I'll get hatemail out of nowhere or a taunting.

Personally, I don't care because I just end up uploading it to my channel for all to see.

Ain't nothing better than kicking someone after they got so so soooo close to winning

I really do try to maximize the salt out of players without taunting

what gamertag to do you btw

For reals tho, I rarely kick people unless the connection is terrible or they're totally terrible. I'd rather just leave the lobby and make a new one instead of kicking people.

Unless they start sending me hate mail.. people gotta realize that sending hate mail fuels me.

I hate people like this. It's like some people dont want new players to learn the game. I remember when I first started playing SF and was under 1kpp struggling using Ryu, this was the norm for the mail I got and it actually made me want to quit playing SF entirely many times. I mean why taunt someone who is clearly inexperienced and new to the game? Is your ego that fragile it needs to be stroked by beating players less experienced than you and then proceed to tell them that they suck afterwards?
Yeah I've never understood why people expect me to go full throttle all the time or expect someone to immediately know a character. How the hell am I gonna learn the character if I don't play them?

The only time I taunt is with Dan, but that shit is mandatory.

Though I do taunt a shitload in Marvel.....but that's Marvel. The salt is necessary.
Ain't nothing better than kicking someone after they got so so soooo close to winning

I really do try to maximize the salt out of players without taunting

what gamertag to do you btw

For reals tho, I rarely kick people unless the connection is terrible or they're totally terrible. I'd rather just leave the lobby and make a new one instead of kicking people.

Unless they start sending me hate mail.. people gotta realize that sending hate mail fuels me.

Yeah the only time I kick people is if their connection blows. I mentioned it in a previous post, but I won't even kick really awful players, even though I want to. I know that they're just trying to learn the game. I will however play like a complete fucking dick and try to get the person to leave.

My GT is EylessOrphan

I just thought it was weird that my friend was flipping out because I didn't kick the guy as some sort of revenge for the session a couple days before when he was cocky. I'd just really rather win repeatedly and own your soul. Just break you over and over until you realize that it's hopeless and you aren't going to win.

mbpm1

My buddy gets all crazy and is like "Kick this stupid bitch, don't give him a chance", and I'm just like, no. I wreck him like 3 more times and he sends me a message saying I only know how to play my one cheap ass character and I was getting lucky. I proceed to annihilate him for about 15 more matches or something using all different characters until he decides to leave. My friend was disappointed that I never taunted or kicked him or anything.

What you did was way worse imo

Good stiff

So my question is, why would I have kicked him? I notice this is a common trend. And I'm not knocking anyone that does it. But why would you want to kick someone after one match?

Depends how they behave. The fact he sent hatemail would have seen him instantly rejected from my room.

I also really hate when I'm playing some character who I suck with and edge out a win against someone doing as bad as me, only for them to come back on their main, kick my ass and then do a runner, at least let me switch to my main, or just let us play our bad characters together since it more fun than one sided fights. I remember these names ( I actually have a list) and don't bother with them again, instant kick. Not worth my time.

Marz

Lol. I just play whoever for however long I feel like and leave/kick when I don't feel like it.

Life's too short to be worrying about proper SF4 Xbox live battle etiquette and shit.

Only 2500+ PP and he acts like he's the shit? Pff, at least have 4k+ before acting all high and mighty. But anyways, if I were in your position I would be upset just like your friend. Especially if I felt the other guy was far inferior to me like this guy clearly was against you. But that's just me, I can get pretty salty playing this game. But unlike your friend I wouldn't kick him if it was endless. If it was ranked, I think at some point I would stop playing him if I was on a long winning streak. Who knows, maybe the guy wanted to eek out just one win against you no matter how many L's he had to take before bailing. Good thing you didn't let him get away with that if that was his intention.

As for kicking people. I mainly play ranked so I will kick people. I enjoy playing all kinds of players but I also liked to be challenged and win me some yummy points so I don't like playing really low level players too many times in a row. I'll play them, even up to 3-4 times and I like practicing my combos against them. But at some point I want a stronger challenge and more than 1 point per victory while risking 100(give or take) if I get random'd.

As for why others kick, I'm a strong believer that the "last laugh" mentality is often the reason why it happens, especially with online players. Player A beats player B, maybe he was lucky, maybe it was a legit win. But they want to don't want to give the other player another chance to beat him and thus have the last laugh. Their have been times where I've been kicked by a guy trying to get a rematch, but not immediately after they beat me. But maybe 30 minutes after it. And the match wasn't laggy, it was almost like they made it a priority to remember my name and not give me another chance again.

Robot Pants

Player matches are never coming back. All you'll get are your 2-player endless lobby that take 5 minutes to get someone to join and then they leave after one round.

(blue crying face)

or you join, wait for the current match to end (always seem to take an usually long time), then get kicked.

Endless lobbies suck. So does ranked.
Bring everything back from vanilla

alstein

Player matches are never coming back. All you'll get are your 2-player endless lobby that take 5 minutes to get someone to join and then they leave after one round.

(blue crying face)

Waiting isn't fun. Even if they fix lobbies I actively try to avoid places that have more than 1 person in them unless I have no other choice.

I don't like ranked because I don't like the counterpicking that comes from it, and the salt. Non-ranked matches in SF4 you get more time to think and less just brute force.

As for kicking, I only kick people if they're pissing me off for some reason (usually it comes from fighting folks who I feel their gameplay is 99% execution and 1% actual thought, or if I think they're disrespecting me for some reason)

If I want to leave because they just suck, I don't kick for that, I just close it. Kicking to me implies (I really don't want to play you anymore ever)

Imm0rt4l

Oh look Gootecks wants to play a high ranked gouken to learn the matchup, cool.

He plays against Takinflight

Fucking lol, that nigga's trash

stn

I've watched videos of Takin Flight beat some good players. Its true that he played VERY impatiently against Gootecks but I hardly would say he's trash. He's just playing random, a tactic that can work in SF4.

mbpm1

I've watched videos of Takin Flight beat some good players. Its true that he played VERY impatiently against Gootecks but I hardly would say he's trash. He's just playing random, a tactic that can work in SF4.

If he's beating good players, he can't be that random...maybe

alstein

I was a Ken. Who do you play? I'm pretty in the dark about DCs as well. It doesn't happen often enough for me to check I think. There is an option when you make a room to see the DC rate for the players though.

On a side note, anyone know if there's a way to stop Eryu from doing blockstrings into Axe kick all day (as Ken)? I thought you could throw him out of it bc I saw it in Topanga or the MCZ Exhibition but I've had no luck with that at all and I don't want to risk a DP against Eryu when he can just not do it or the axe kick will trade. I played one guy a few matches and he kept doing it so often that I swear one time he fricking stunned me even with blockstrings. I won a few times but I want to know if there's a way to stop that shit.

I know Hawk can EX SPD between the normal and the Axe Kick. if Hawk can do that, Ken could probably DP at a minimum (maybe save it for an FADC ultra type situation?)

Imm0rtal's right, Takin Flight is a pretty bad player. Look at the stuff he was doing and kept doing against Gooteck's. I got legit angry watching Gooteck's letting him get away with that stuff. Even though it's just Gooteck's, I still expect better from him. He was preaching how we need to let players like that kill themselves, and he wasn't able to capitalize off those repeated mistakes. I'm not sure he ever blocked on wake up. Maybe he did a few times, but that was because Gooteck's was so frightened that he stayed half a screen away after a knockdown. Even then I recall Takin waking up with palms which I believe worked several times lol.

Maybe he really doesn't give a fuck and plays that way because he wants to regardless of the consequences and how it makes him look. But until he shows us some more intelligence, their is no reason to show him any respect as a solid player. I've ran into him a few times and won, but I knew what was coming because I've seen a few of his matches and know just how bat shit crazy he plays. And yeah, randomness does work. And I'm sure he's beat his share of good players, I have to. Doesn't make either of us good players though.

We also see PR Rog go online and lose his fair share against randoms online when he's actually trying to win. Doesn't mean that much when it's probably just one match and those guys wouldn't be able to do it in a tournament.

I know Hawk can EX SPD between the normal and the Axe Kick. if Hawk can do that, Ken could probably DP at a minimum (maybe save it for an FADC ultra type situation?)

Cr. MK > LK axe kick or MK axe kick isn't a true block string. So yes, Ken and anybody with a invincible reversal can blow it up. Honestly it's not a good idea for Evil Ryu players to use that block string too often. I use to abuse LK axe kick even though it's unsafe. I've stopped just because I don't want to keep that bad habit even though I got away with it most of the time. Problem is that players like me and mbpm1 might not be able to react properly to axe kick cancel. Maybe we both may go for a DP in reaction to a cr. MK and the Evil Ryu player doesn't special cancel. That leaves us flying in the air and the Evil Ryu player gets a huge punish. I just block and try to punish the LK axe kick if that's what they do because I don't have the reactions for that.

Waiting isn't fun. Even if they fix lobbies I actively try to avoid places that have more than 1 person in them unless I have no other choice.

I don't like ranked because I don't like the counterpicking that comes from it, and the salt. Non-ranked matches in SF4 you get more time to think and less just brute force.

As for kicking, I only kick people if they're pissing me off for some reason (usually it comes from fighting folks who I feel their gameplay is 99% execution and 1% actual thought, or if I think they're disrespecting me for some reason)

If I want to leave because they just suck, I don't kick for that, I just close it. Kicking to me implies (I really don't want to play you anymore ever)

How is there counterpicking in ranked? They are all one off matches and you don't know who they are picking (unless you know who they are and who they play). Can't you counterpick in player matches or lobbies as well in that case?

I play mostly ranked. It feels like the arcade kinda. You don't know what gonna happen and have to adapt on the fly and see some crazy stuff. There is alot of salt for sure, because it's 1 match and peace out to the next one. You wanna play your best right then and there and get that win. It's like a mini football playoff game in that regard, hehe. Sets are of course a better ruler on who is better overall.

Player matches are fun too, but I don't do lobbies more than 2, maybe 3 (I don't have time to wait in lines).

I never kick anybody, unless it's laggy, or they are so, so bad, and I am in a hurry to get games in.

I don't kick on my perception of others play styles. If they are random, or cheap, or not playing right or whatever. I don't like people kicking me for assumptions, and I don't like doing the same to others.

I was in a 3 man lobby last night. Taunts everywhere. Jump back all round sagats and Elf (which I loathe playing against). I hung in there. Probably bad for heart though, lol. I was getting mad fucking salty.

Imm0rt4l

Beating some good players at some point doesn't mean shit, dude is trash period. He beat Lostfragment in one of the most lulzy fucking matches I've ever seen, Lost ran it back and rekt him something fierce. He has played the same way since vanilla, and from the times I've conversed with him on srk the guy just comes across as daft.

I didn't watch the fight with gootecks because nothing of value can be taken from watching him play honestly.

mbpm1

Me: It's okay, just block
*SRKs instead*
Me: What is wrong with me

I don't really kick people. Even if they're the buttsplash spamming hondas or they taunt and they win I just see it as opportunities to get better. I mean, if they're winning something must be too strong for me and I might as well use them to practice AAing or whatever.

Martal

Neo Member
Once again guys, thanks for the solid advice. I tried to pick up Cammy, didnt fit me too well, but now Im on Ibuki and doing pretty well and having tons of fun!

Beating some good players at some point doesn't mean shit, dude is trash period. He beat Lostfragment in one of the most lulzy fucking matches I've ever seen, Lost ran it back and rekt him something fierce. He has played the same way since vanilla, and from the times I've conversed with him on srk the guy just comes across as daft.

I didn't watch the fight with gootecks because nothing of value can be taken from watching him play honestly.

This nia speaks the troof

I did watch it because I wanted Gooteck's to body him. But Gooteck's got mind fucked by his craziness and it was actually really close which just infuriated me as I was watching. I don't think I can trust Gooteck's to blow up a scrub again.

cHaotix8

Because lots of people online are immature idiots who feel like they need to bully people in order to compensate for all the other areas in life they are missing out on?

This.

The only time I taunt is when it's with a rose setup with Dudley. Or it's someone I know and I wanna rub that ass-whoopin in. No rage mail or anything else from me.

The best feeling in the world is coming back and beating the shit out of someone that taunted you earlier in the same round haha. It's always Sakura/Vega/Cammy players too.

mbpm1

This.

The only time I taunt is when it's with a rose setup with Dudley. Or it's someone I know and I wanna rub that ass-whoopin in. No rage mail or anything else from me.

The best feeling in the world is coming back and beating the shit out of someone that taunted you earlier in the same round haha. It's always Sakura/Vega/Cammy players too.

Dunno about the others, but Vegas do love to taunt.

mbpm1

One time an Eryu decided to taunt me..when he was down on life and standing right in front of me.

He was playing solid before that so I dunno why he did it. Just as he taunted I jumped in though and he ate a single j. short and died most humiliatingly lol

vulva

This.

I only really taunt if someone else taunts first. For some reason, that activates the troll in me. Suddenly every knockdown, I'm taunting. I'll go full screen after and taunt over and over and over. I'll play everything else as solid as I can until a hard knockdown... then taunt. It's strangely satisfying.

Top Bottom