• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

hitsugi

Not all taunts are really ill-meant. Sometimes something hype happens and I taunt afterward, or I know I got a completely BS comeback and I taunt before the last hit out of a dizzy. There are a few scenarios, but it's pretty rare for me to bother.

I remember a CVS1 tourney back in the SHGL days where a match I had came down to our last character - my opponent had the health advantage, we were in a stare-off, and I just taunted mid-screen. The reaction from the crowd and his failure to capitalize on it completely broke him and I ended up winning.

OceanBlue

One time an Eryu decided to taunt me..when he was down on life and standing right in front of me.

He was playing solid before that so I dunno why he did it. Just as he taunted I jumped in though and he ate a single j. short and died most humiliatingly lol

Maybe he just accidentally slipped his finger over HP and HK lol. I've done that before.

Myn

A friend of mine is accustomed to using the triple p and k buttons for ultras so he has a habit of messing up his hand positioning and sometimes gets taunt inputs when I know he was trying to focus.

Robot Pants

I only taunt when I fight someone with an extremely annoying play style the entire game. And I usually only do it after I've downloaded them and get that last round stun, and finish them off after my taunt.

Sometimes it happens on accident and if it does I always send a message saying I didn't mean to.

I taunt alot with Dan. Seeing people tossing me I come back after with his KMA taunt. I lose alot with Dan but the runbacks I switch to Blanka or Bison and end up beating them.

I also taunt defensive/turtle players. I Just wanna fight and get a match in!!

Myn

I taunt alot with Dan. Seeing people tossing me I come back after with his KMA taunt. I lose alot with Dan but the runbacks I switch to Blanka or Bison and end up beating them.

I also taunt defensive/turtle players. I Just wanna fight and get a match in!!

I feel like Dan is that extremely rare case where taunting is something that's okay because that's what his character design was created upon. The only time that taunting doesn't make me salty or frustrated is honestly when a Dan is doing it. lol

mbpm1

Think my tendency to turtle at the later stages of the game is starting to cost me. Or I'm just not good enough at recognizing opportunities when they're not handed to me via whiffed reversals or whatever

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I played Takin Flight recently and I think he has gotten better, still not the best player though.

There are just certain kinds of flowcharts in this game you're gonna get bodied by at first unless you're ready for it or unless you're super good at quickly adapting, which me and most people aren't. Just the nature of the game.

That's sorta why I play endless instead of ranked these days. I feel like 90% of my ranked wins with Elena are pretty fraudulent. Endless at least gives people a good chance to learn the match.

Plus Elena's pretty cheap heh.

Need to run that shit back with Chaotix sometime :)

DunpealD

You're jumping too much and it seems you don't have any combos with her or at least not confident enough to utilize them. Which in turn means your source of damage are just single hits and you have to put a lot more effort into defeating your opponent. Maybe a little bit better spacing of your projectiles might help too.

I feel like Dan is that extremely rare case where taunting is something that's okay because that's what his character design was created upon. The only time that taunting doesn't make me salty or frustrated is honestly when a Dan is doing it. lol

Since USF4 Dans taunts actually build meter. So taunting at fullscreen is actually a viable strategy.

Robot Pants

That's sorta why I play endless instead of ranked these days. I feel like 90% of my ranked wins with Elena are pretty fraudulent. Endless at least gives people a good chance to learn the match.

Plus Elena's pretty cheap heh.

Need to run that shit back with Chaotix sometime :)
Amen to this.
I feel like people are gonna be clamoring for her to be nerfed in the near future

Marz

She's cheap and you can't even hit her half the time.

That walkspeed combined with those buttons and that hurtbox + healing is a crime against humanity.

Once you figure out Elena's wonkyness, her entire gameplan runs around "overhead or slide from half screen" it feels like. She's not a good character, she's just badly implemented.

Onemic

She's cheap and you can't even hit her half the time.

That walkspeed
combined with those buttons and that hurtbox + healing is a crime against humanity.

her walkspeed(fwd) is pretty avg

Elena isn't cheap, she's just a scrub killer. And you'll for sure lose against her if you've never really played many Elena's before.

stn

Ever feel like this game hates you? I play Gouken and Rolento. I've played some really good players and was able to hold my own. Then, I go play some novice players who go APE-SHIT and I find myself losing to everything. Moves whiff, pokes get beaten, AA's trade, throws don't tech, and so forth. Its like there's some aura protecting novice players from making mistakes. I'm throwing cr. jabs with Rolento and I get reversal DP mashed. My U1 misses. I get jabbed out of the air raid attack.

I've gotten very far in the old school SF games and pride myself on my fundamentals. You can see that I consider every move when I do it, and that I'm very patient. And yet, somehow I never feel rewarded for that in SF4. I feel like I couldn't play dumb even if I wanted to. I played 15 matches today and ended up going 9-6 after closing out with 7 in a row, but every win took all my breath away. What a fuckin' struggle.

I need to play a stupid air-borne character that just bypasses everything related to Street Fighter and go ape shit myself. There is no place for ST players in SF4. Fuck.

/rant

alstein

You are playing chars who are vuln to that style of play. You need to recognize quickly which opponents are like that, and counter it.

Bait those reversal DP if you think they're mashing it.

ST fundamentals aren't SF4 fundamentals, and Rolento and Gouken are ape-shit characters themselves.

Leave Elena alone :(

Also, here I am thinking I'm the GOAT Elena on Gaf then check my friendlist, and notice Fragment has like 10,000 points with her smh

mbpm1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StO8h95P_NM
Supposedly Juri owns Seth not sure. Critque mah match!

If you're going to just block on your opponent's wakeup you might want to stand further back so he can't just throw you. You shouldn't just do that though. If you never do anything but block he has no reason to continue attacking you once he wakes up. Pressure with meaties, throw, do something.

Be wary of anti-airing Seth conventionally. Taking to the air is sometimes an option but he has a great jumping air normal as well with Jump Mp so mix it up. You might want to try your counter if you know he's going to divekick too. Ex Pinwheel should work everytime as well.

Stomps hit overhead. Block High. If you get hit by the first stomp the next one will probably cross up.

Practice your punishes. Sweep or a single jab won't cut it. Cr. Mk into pinwheel, at least, every time he makes a reckless DP.

Also practice your basic hit confirms. Oftentimes you did jab into nothing. This makes it a lot harder to finish matches if you can't take advantage of little opportunities like that.

Finally you jump a lot. It can work sometimes but be aware that better players will stop that.

ShinMaruku

Working on the jumping at the moment. My thing is can't play for too long or I put down the game for months like I just did till last week. Found some good combos but just need to work on them into hit confirms. Thanks for the pointers. :)
Nerves are a bithc but that's why I put time in.

mbpm1

Working on the jumping at the moment. My thing is can't play for too long or I put down the game for months like I just did till last week. .

Speaking as someone who's been on and off online for like, a year, now, I know that feel. Only recently can I actually go through it to play semi-regularly.

ShinMaruku

I manage to put more time in due to I have other games on my docket and moving them around keeps me from burning out on one. Just annoying that you have to really grind to catch up in sf4 when long sessions are detrimental.

cHaotix8

her walkspeed(fwd) is pretty avg

She actually has one of the fastest walk speeds in the game, lol.

I think the biggest thing Elena has going for her is that people can't really tell if she's crouching or standing. She has a lot of weird properties that make her annoying to fight against, like the way her hurtbox moves around in neutral.

I could see Capcom making her hurtbox bigger, but that would go for the rest of the new characters as well. She's still gonna end up a low hurtbox like blanka that will require specific combos. Can't see why they'd nerf her though, her mixups are punishable on block, people just need to figure out what is going on first haha.

Fragment, I'm down for another set! Hit me up whenevs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StO8h95P_NM
Supposedly Juri owns Seth not sure. Critque mah match!

Tanden Engine is really unsafe on hit or block unless you get sucked pretty much right into Seth. You get free pressure/punish whenever he spaces it wrong.

Onemic

She actually has one of the fastest walk speeds in the game, lol. .

fwd walkspeed? Naw man. She's as fast as Ryu, which is pretty average. And really, even her backward walkspeed is in the lower tiers in comparison to other footsie based characters. Her fwd dash and backward dashes are one of the best in the game though.

cHaotix8

fwd walkspeed? Naw man. She's as fast as Ryu, which is pretty average. And really, even her backward walkspeed is in the lower tiers in comparison to other footsie based characters. Her fwd dash and backward dashes are one of the best in the game though.

My bad, you're right. For some reason it always felt like she walked really fast to me. Probably has something to do with her actually being able to touch opponents from a decent distance away. She felt faster than Dudley to me, like Cammy speed Lol.

Onemic

My bad, you're right. For some reason it always felt like she walked really fast to me. Probably has something to do with her actually being able to touch opponents from a decent distance away. She felt faster than Dudley to me, like Cammy speed Lol.

I always wondered when people said they thought she had gdlike walk speed lol

Robot Pants

Huh. Had no idea.
Yup a lot if people didn't know anything about Seth just yelled "nerf" and " cheap" enough and he got gutted.
He was completely fair in AE2012. If they needed a change, the medium kick cross up instead of HK. That's fair. The rest were overboard.

kasane

i was always under the impression that red focus was 3 bars

tried to practice some yun on training and surprise its fucking 2 bars

lol

Yup a lot if people didn't know anything about Seth just yelled "nerf" and " cheap" enough and he got gutted.
He was completely fair in AE2012. If they needed a change, the medium kick cross up instead of HK. That's fair. The rest were overboard.

Wrong to nerf him, but I still sure as hell won't miss dealing with his dumb shit online.

I've been wrong in the past as well for similar reasons. I always thought that Akuma's sweep was faster than Ryu's. Then I realized I was decieved by Akuma's much faster walk speed and recovery compared to Ryu's. As for Elena, it definitely has to be the reach. She doesn't need to walk like Akuma or Cammy when you can't ever reach her when she's at her max poke range.

Top Bottom