• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Onemic

I don't think Oni is a bad character. They did improve his toward mk which was already pretty good. It's now on par with Ken's step kick in terms of startup. Losing invincibility on his ground pound was a pretty big nerf but he does have DP FADC now. I think Oni player's will have to change their styles to be a bit more conservative.

step kick was pretty worthless due to the startup, plus the range it actually covered, I think Ken's stepkick goes farther than Onis. Of course I could be wrong, but I still don't think his step kick will be used that much more.He got FADC on his dp, but they nerfed his dp overall, making it less invincible and making him unable to combo anything after a dp>FADC on hit. Add to that his mk demon slash nerf, his health nerf, and his stomp nerf and Oni just got worse. Oni players will have to play more conservative because they nerfed a lot of his options making him even more unsafe when trying to mix people up. Buffs like reduced frame disadvantage on mk slash and stomp don't mean anything considering the above nerfs and the fact that they're still pretty negative on block(I think -4 and -6 respectively) so it will still be very easy to punish regardless.

I was training with oni for him to be my projectile character to offset some bad matchups i'd have playing yang/elena, but I'll probably join the e.ryu train as well. :p

notworksafe

Damn, alright! One more question. Am I able to do the upgrade with a retail copy? Because it's like half the price on Amazon. Also is there a time limit to do the upgrade? Since I won't get it from Amazon until probably Thursday. Can I just buy the Ultra DLC now and when I get the retail copy, I can upgrade and start playing?

Sorry for all the questions.

Yeah you can use a retail copy of either SSF4 or AE. If you buy now you'll still be able to do the upgrade no issue.

xCobalt

step kick was pretty worthless due to the startup, plus the range it actually covered, I think Ken's stepkick goes farther than Onis. Of course I could be wrong, but I still don't think his step kick will be used that much more.He got FADC on his dp, but they nerfed his dp overall, making it less invincible and making him unable to combo anything after a dp>FADC on hit. Add to that his mk demon slash nerf, his health nerf, and his stomp nerf and Oni just got worse. Oni players will have to play more conservative because they nerfed a lot of his options making him even more unsafe when trying to mix people up. Buffs like reduced frame disadvantage on mk slash and stomp don't mean anything considering the above nerfs and the fact that they're still pretty negative on block(I think -4 and -6 respectively) so it will still be very easy to punish regardless.

I was training with oni for him to be my projectile character to offset some bad matchups i'd have playing yang/elena, but I'll probably join the e.ryu train as well. :p

Oni's step kick is good for Kara Demons and blowing up crouch techs. If you land a counter hit, it leads to a full combo. Chris Hu utilizes F+MK pretty often compared to other Oni players. His regular dps is on par with other shotos now but his EX shoryuken still has one of the most invicibility frames. The hard knockdown after dp fadc is definitely a weird choice. Gotta see what sort of setups can come from it though. Even though he is worse off, I still don't think he's a bad character.

Onemic

Oni's step kick is good for Kara Demons and blowing up crouch techs. If you land a counter hit, it leads to a full combo. Chris Hu utilizes F+MK pretty often compared to other Oni players. His regular dps is on par with other shotos now but his EX shoryuken still has one of the most invicibility frames. The hard knockdown after dp fadc is definitely a weird choice. Gotta see what sort of setups can come from it though. Even though he is worse off, I still don't think he's a bad character.

I don't think so either, he'll just be a little lower on the tier list than before. Probably low-mid tier.

BoSox06DH

I'm pretty excited for Ultra, hopefully I play this version like I did with Vanilla and Super and not like AE where I didn't put as much time into it. Can I be put into that GAF list?
Xbox 360, Gamertag-BoSox06

rCIZZLE

Can't wait to watch some GAF matches tonight. Unfortunately i won't be getting the game until the PC release.

Is there going to be a GAF stream running? I'm looking forward to spending all night in training with various streams on in the background.

Since this preload broke the other dlc for now I'll play some third strike till midnight. I have 206 hours on this. Plus a 100+ I'm sure from vanilla many years ago.

OceanBlue

What are you guys going to be practicing once the update drops? I feel like most of my stuff is the same lol. I might practice punishing DP FADC. Maybe I'll check what ranges Ryu's new cr.MK fireball is a true blockstring and if Sakura's st.HP combos into EX Shunpu. I've kinda wanted to try playing Guy so I might try out his new anti-airs and see what ranges his target combo works at now. Lol st.LK as an anti-air.

What are you guys going to be practicing once the update drops? I feel like most of my stuff is the same lol. I might practice punishing DP FADC. Maybe I'll check what ranges Ryu's new cr.MK fireball is a true blockstring and if Sakura's st.HP combos into EX Shunpu. I've kinda wanted to try playing Guy so I might try out his new anti-airs and see what ranges his target combo works at now. Lol st.LK as an anti-air.

I'm mostly gonna be messing with red focus and hoping that I can figure a way to comfortably use it with a controller. I broke my stick right before Evo last year and never replaced it. I guess I'm officially a pad player now.

I'm also gonna be practicing with the new characters a lot. Especially Hugo, Rolento, and Poison

I'm a sucker for Final Fight.

HardRojo

A little more than 2 hours until it's available? What am I supposed to do on PS3? I got the SSFIV disc and AE DLC update, should I just download Ultra now or should I delete the AE update first?

geomon

ibi10O9cl5TeMb.jpg

Just a few more hours 'til you're all mine, baby!

Marz

I'm mostly gonna be messing with red focus and hoping that I can figure a way to comfortably use it with a controller. I broke my stick right before Evo last year and never replaced it. I guess I'm officially a pad player now.

I'm also gonna be practicing with the new characters a lot. Especially Hugo, Rolento, and Poison

I'm a sucker for Final Fight.

I like your style

Wynnebeck

Banned

Gonna see what I can now punish with Balrog's Light Dash Punch and practice getting used to Light Dash Swing Blow. Red Focus is a definite practice too as I believe that's really going to help Balrog deal with stupidity he couldn't deal with on the regular FA. Plus gonna go in the lab with Bison, Elena, Cammy, Poison, Decapre, and possibly E. Ryu just to be like everyone else. lol

Morris

Disco Devil
I was thinking of playing Poison but nah i'll stick to Yun.

Dat safe ex lunge ^ー^

Dat crossup ^ー^

A bit late as well, but I'd be up for playing with any GAF people on xbox360. gamertag-mikeyraab. I'm pretty awful, but at least i'll be good practice for the rest.

Top Bottom