• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Marz

So can people just pick Omega or whatever edition they want in endless no matter what or is there an option to turn off edition select when you create a lobby?

RS4-

So can people just pick Omega or whatever edition they want in endless no matter what or is there an option to turn off edition select when you create a lobby?

It's up to who creates the lobby first, there's an option at the bottom for "edition select on/off"

DunpealD

I am inlove with Omgea Cammy, Omega Juri and Omega Decapre, they are sex.
GGs to DunpealD for the matches and thanks for the help.

GGs, you're welcome. Even though Omega characters are, it doesn't mean you should neglect the fundamentals.

Omega Decapre and Deejay seem to have the most severe changes.

Found a lot of really cool stuff with Evil Ryu and I'm not talking about that goofy looking fireball he has. New specials, better normals, and even more damage. Man why can't this just be the normal version of him lol.

My friend is a Gouken player and he tried him and didn't like him as well. He even feels that Omega Gouken is worse than Ultra Gouken. And I hear others feel that there Omega character is worse than the Ultra version. Which is ridiculous because I thought the point of the Omega version is to be broken when compared to the characters in Ultra. But who knows, I was pretty disappointed with Omega Evil Ryu at first as well. But I finally figured out some of the cool stuff they gave him. He still doesn't look as good as some other Omega characters though. Decapre looks ridiculous in Omega mode.

ShinMaruku

I thought I'd hop on for a few matches. I am stuck in random hell with 3k pp players who beat me then they all leave my lobby. Such a shit day on sf....

DunpealD

Omega T.hawk is ridiculous, that much is for sure.

He ain't no friend of projectile characters. 400dmg using 2 bars off condor dive is nuts. Seismos, ex condor spire with juggle potential and 3 different condor dives, his spirit is ready.

My friend is a Gouken player and he tried him and didn't like him as well. He even feels that Omega Gouken is worse than Ultra Gouken. And I hear others feel that there Omega character is worse than the Ultra version. Which is ridiculous because I thought the point of the Omega version is to be broken when compared to the characters in Ultra. But who knows, I was pretty disappointed with Omega Evil Ryu at first as well. But I finally figured out some of the cool stuff they gave him. He still doesn't look as good as some other Omega characters though. Decapre looks ridiculous in Omega mode.

Did you find any use of Omega Yun? He doesn't seem too hot either. Omega is more like a playground for new ideas than just broken stuff, it seems. Decapre is a 100% command character in Omega mode, which means all of her ultras are commands too. Better not neutral jump her when she's loaded with U2.

Did you find any use of Omega Yun? He doesn't seem too hot either. .

I did, he's actually one of the characters that I think could be considered worse than his Ultra version unless there is more stuff that I haven't found yet. He has a new special that can launch your opponent into the non animation Ultra 1 if you use 2 bars. EX upkicks can be FADC'd if into Ultra as well but does less damage now than the old one with LP lunge punch. Dive kick looks slower and his EX shoulder can cross up at a certain range. And I mean he'll come at you and then teleport to the other side. But it looks like you have to do it at about sweep range. If you cancel into it, it'll just hit normally like it does now.

His best change is his LP shoulder. It has almost no range now, but it's something like +4 on hit. So you could do far MP, LP shoulder, far LK, HK upkicks for 252 damage. Just keep fishing for those shoulder confirms into more damage like how he's always done it into Super and red focus. I don't know if that's enough to make him better than Ultra Yun though.

DunpealD

I did, he's actually one of the characters that I think could be considered worse than his Ultra version unless there is more stuff that I haven't found yet. He has a new special that can launch your opponent into the non animation Ultra 1 if you use 2 bars. EX upkicks can be FADC'd if into Ultra as well but does less damage now than the old one with LP lunge punch. Dive kick looks slower and his EX shoulder can cross up at a certain range. And I mean he'll come at you and then teleport to the other side. But it looks like you have to do it at about sweep range. If you cancel into it, it'll just hit normally like it does now.

His best change is his LP shoulder. It has almost no range now, but it's something like +4 on hit. So you could do far MP, LP shoulder, far LK, HK upkicks for 252 damage. Just keep fishing for those shoulder confirms into more damage like how he's always done it into Super and red focus. I don't know if that's enough to make him better than Ultra Yun though.

The Ex shoulder is actually a mixup. If you hold it longer at long range it travels more distance. If close he'll switch sides.

EDIT: I found a use for EX shoulder. If you use the crossup version it does a quick soft knockdown. You can also FADC and combo into jab. But it's not safe on block in any case.

Any pointers with Omega Decapre?

I don't think there's much to point out. She has a divekick, multiple anti-airs, fast projectile, a slide, jump arc alterations and pretty straightforward combos. From what I see you can annoy your opponents with projectile and get in with your tools to wreck them.

Sure I'll chime in.

One problem I notice with a lot of your matches, aside from these as well, is that you jump a lot, like a lot! It's not inherently bad when its working, heck you see a few of top[ish] players do this #mikeross. The problem is it becomes an obvious pattern, and most players can react to it by the second or third round which happens a ton in your matches, you start getting challenged mid air or flat out beaten out of it. Basically try to get used to playing more a ground game, jumping less makes you less predictable.

Second, you seem to go in with little to no plan. That is to say, you go in knowing what you want to press/archive but not really considering what the other person can or might do. You jump in, and press buttons, and end with special after a few buttons most of the time. This is fine, it makes some chains safe but not always. It takes a long time to be able to do hit confirms and control yourself into not doing your full combo, even when its blocked. In general though it seems like your going in, noticing your not getting a hit, but continuing to press several buttons after. Like I said its fine enough in itself but tone it down a bit simply because a lot of your block strings end with unsafe things.

Those are the two big things I keep noticing. Its pretty common but better players control it more. You definitely got the right idea with how you are playing compared to the first videos you had. Just keep playing, you playing Juri kinda makes the advice available limited compared to other characters but there is a bit.

sixghost

Can anyone explain how Rolento's J.d+mk works? I was watching this match at West Coast Warzone and Nemo was able to make the d+mk land behind Rose, then move back to the front side for the air.fp. It works some of the time in training mode, but when it doesn't work I have no idea why. For some reason I can do it pretty consistently on Rose, but only like 10% of the time on Ryu. Is it just a character specific thing?

I linked the exact moment he does it in the YT video.

Can anyone explain how Rolento's J.d+mk works? I was watching this match at West Coast Warzone and Nemo was able to make the d+mk land behind Rose, then move back to the front side for the air.fp. It works some of the time in training mode, but when it doesn't work I have no idea why. For some reason I can do it pretty consistently on Rose, but only like 10% of the time on Ryu. Is it just a character specific thing?

I linked the exact moment he does it in the YT video.

You hold forward when you cross them up with the pogo (forward in this case is relative you before you jumped). For example, you knocked someone down, jump over them do d.mk, hold forward then press HP when you cross over them. Of course the hard part is getting the correct spacing for the setup, because if you cross them too far, you won't make it back over them, but you can use it as a mixup and hit them with a j.mk on the same side.

edit: And to add to that, I think there's some character specific stuff about crossing over them, some characters get up at different times and they are different heights, so you have to hit the lab to see what works. It doesn't seem to crossup hakan in the corner.

double edit: Trying it again, it seems in the corner, you actually need to hold back to cross up. It's really weird.

Tried some Blanka today in training. I can only manage to do a 13 hit with his new ex electic shock. Just curious if there's more hits after the ex shock?

sixghost

You hold forward when you cross them up with the pogo (forward in this case is relative you before you jumped). For example, you knocked someone down, jump over them do d.mk, hold forward then press HP when you cross over them. Of course the hard part is getting the correct spacing for the setup, because if you cross them too far, you won't make it back over them, but you can use it as a mixup and hit them with a j.mk on the same side.

edit: And to add to that, I think there's some character specific stuff about crossing over them, some characters get up at different times and they are different heights, so you have to hit the lab to see what works. It doesn't seem to crossup hakan in the corner.

double edit: Trying it again, it seems in the corner, you actually need to hold back to cross up. It's really weird.

Holding forward got it to work against Ryu. Thanks for the help, what a weird mechanic.

Tirael

I love how, while the opponent is airborne, Dudley still doesn't get full cinematic from either of his Ultras if he combos into them, and many many other characters do. Also if they're airborne, both are dependent on timing for more damage, and Rolling Thunder is extremely inconsistent at best.

Also it's great how Omega Dudley got one of his special moves split for barely different functionality, and his 2-bar Super (that everyone got one of) is hardly different from the EX move in his regular form. I guess the knockdown you get from it is okay. Also he got his overhead from Third Strike, because he totally didn't already have a useful overhead.

Also they took away Thunderbolt in his Omega version...? So that's plus two moves (if you're being generous) and minus one?

While Abel got something like eleven new moves, and Guy got thirteen!

Spuck-uk

Banned
I love how, while the opponent is airborne, Dudley still doesn't get full cinematic from either of his Ultras if he combos into them, and many many other characters do. Also if they're airborne, both are dependent on timing for more damage, and Rolling Thunder is extremely inconsistent at best.

Also it's great how Omega Dudley got one of his special moves split for barely different functionality, and his 2-bar Super (that everyone got one of) is hardly different from the EX move in his regular form. I guess the knockdown you get from it is okay. Also he got his overhead from Third Strike, because he totally didn't already have a useful overhead.

Also they took away Thunderbolt in his Omega version...? So that's plus two moves (if you're being generous) and minus one?

While Abel got something like eleven new moves, and Guy got thirteen!

To be fair, Omega Abel LOST a bunch of moves as well, and plays as an almost entirely new character.

DunpealD

Sure I'll chime in.

One problem I notice with a lot of your matches, aside from these as well, is that you jump a lot, like a lot! It's not inherently bad when its working, heck you see a few of top[ish] players do this #mikeross. The problem is it becomes an obvious pattern, and most players can react to it by the second or third round which happens a ton in your matches, you start getting challenged mid air or flat out beaten out of it. Basically try to get used to playing more a ground game, jumping less makes you less predictable.

Second, you seem to go in with little to no plan. That is to say, you go in knowing what you want to press/archive but not really considering what the other person can or might do. You jump in, and press buttons, and end with special after a few buttons most of the time. This is fine, it makes some chains safe but not always. It takes a long time to be able to do hit confirms and control yourself into not doing your full combo, even when its blocked. In general though it seems like your going in, noticing your not getting a hit, but continuing to press several buttons after. Like I said its fine enough in itself but tone it down a bit simply because a lot of your block strings end with unsafe things.

Those are the two big things I keep noticing. Its pretty common but better players control it more. You definitely got the right idea with how you are playing compared to the first videos you had. Just keep playing, you playing Juri kinda makes the advice available limited compared to other characters but there is a bit.

In addition to that you still seem to get hit a lot by jump ins. Get a feel of the jump range and try to react to them with anti-airs.

Also you only seem to be jumping in with lk. That's not a great button if you want to do some damage and more useful for tick-throws, due to low hit and blockstun. I'd recommend for normal front jumps the HK, the MP for air to air and MK for cross ups. When MP hits the opponent in the air he'll be in juggle state and you can add some damage to it like U2, test it out in training mode.

Spacing also needs some improvement, which also includes the the anti-airing I mentioned further up. If i see correctly you only know 2 ranges, which are full-midscreen or just point blank. Try to use c.mk as a poke or HK also works occasionally and LK projectile is also good to stick out when out when you're out of c.mk range.

Another thing would be that you still need to work on your punishes. A single EX attack isn't that good, especially after a dodged or blocked DP.

U1 doesn't hit by design and if U2 were to hit airborne opponent with full animation that would actually be closer to a nerf. U2 full animation moves Dudley and his opponent away from the corner in addition to that it also puts substantial space between him and his opponent, which means Dudley loses corner pressure and setup opportunity in favor of slightly more damage.

ShinMaruku

In addition to that you still seem to get hit a lot by jump ins. Get a feel of the jump range and try to react to them with anti-airs.

Also you only seem to be jumping in with lk. That's not a great button if you want to do some damage and more useful for tick-throws, due to low hit and blockstun. I'd recommend for normal front jumps the HK, the MP for air to air and MK for cross ups. When MP hits the opponent in the air he'll be in juggle state and you can add some damage to it like U2, test it out in training mode.

Spacing also needs some improvement, which also includes the the anti-airing I mentioned further up. If i see correctly you only know 2 ranges, which are full-midscreen or just point blank. Try to use c.mk as a poke or HK also works occasionally and LK projectile is also good to stick out when out when you're out of c.mk range.

Another thing would be that you still need to work on your punishes. A single EX attack isn't that good, especially after a dodged or blocked DP.

Thanks. I will be in training mode to see what I can do with that. I also am trying FSE now with Omega Juri with her nutty juggles.

cackhyena

I'm not sure I like Omega Dudley as much as Ultra. The juggles seem shittier.I have to spend more time, though. I had set up Ken to do different attacks on the CPU side and kept trying to parry as Ryu and never got it to happen. I don't know what is going on.

Top Bottom