• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but it looked like the best available; How bad is the balance in SSF4:AE, I can get it on PC for like a couple of bucks.. I've played original SF4 to death, but didn't play anything after that.

pc online ...

failfish

I haven't played it since ultra came out.

so sad to see the netcode is still trash

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but it looked like the best available; How bad is the balance in SSF4:AE, I can get it on PC for like a couple of bucks.. I've played original SF4 to death, but didn't play anything after that.

Pretty good. Capcom Cup had a lot of variety in the finals.

Man I need to stop practicing links in Omega Mode. It makes me feel so god like, but it's just a mirage lol. They did something to make hitting links so much easier. I don't know if it's input buffer or whatever but man I can do Sako combo for days with Omega Evil Ryu.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Man I need to stop practicing links in Omega Mode. It makes me feel so god like, but it's just a mirage lol. They did something to make hitting links so much easier. I don't know if it's input buffer or whatever but man I can do Sako combo for days with Omega Evil Ryu.

Pretty sure they increased the input buffer by like 4 frames. I personally hope they include that in SF5, 1frame links are annoying bullshit.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Pretty sure they increased the input buffer by like 4 frames. I personally hope they include that in SF5, 1frame links are annoying bullshit.

Yeah. I bailed out of omega with the quickness. I love watching it but playing it makes me angry on too many levels.

Hey guys,

EU player (UK) looking for some games on USF4. Im a character loyalist and only play Viper, but dabble in Ken a few times.

You may of played me on 360 as im quite active on there, but also looking for people on PS3 especially as I have no friends and just got the game on there to test out a new stick I bought (HRAP V4).

Hope to see you guys online.

hitsugi

Nah. SF4 already has plinking and a myriad of auto-correct/shortcut systems.

Something needs to be around for players that actually care to invest time in execution-heavy combos. Most of the time, the optimal stuff isn't execution-heavy anyway.

Spuck-uk

Banned

Something needs to be around for players that actually care to invest time in execution-heavy combos. Most of the time, the optimal stuff isn't execution-heavy anyway.

Abel and Rufus, to name two, are basically worthless without 1-frame links. Plinking is a cack handed option that exists due to an coding oversight.

hitsugi

Abel and Rufus, to name two, are basically worthless without 1-frame links. Plinking is a cack handed option that exists due to an coding oversight.

It exists, hasn't been removed, and may as well be listed as a feature by now.

Prior to plinking, there was double tapping. I believe SF4 is the most execution friendly set in the series thus far, and people are still unhappy.

cackhyena

So many moves are easier to pull off. You are right, though, about dp inputs. Makes me feel bad how used to the lazy way I am now.

DunpealD

Omega Dan is really strong.
I think people are sleeping on his push block. With that new addition he can practically escape any offensive attempt that's not an armor breaker, which also means frametraps or blockstrings. For example, if you push block Ryu's c.mk into hadouken you can actually punish with either EX dankyaku or U1. Though it does have a little recovery and cannot escape Chun's lightning legs.

alstein

No it doesn't.

hitsugi

No it doesn't.

Weird..

1. Huge reversal windows
2. Auto-corrects are a thing..
3. There are shortcuts to perform specials like 2123 to perform DPs without the risk of coming out of a crouch.

Anyway, again, SF4 has the lowest barrier of entry through execution out of any SF game thus far. That is all.

As for BNBs requiring 1f links, I could agree with DunpeaID and perhaps Capcom could adjust that once they've been discovered (Rufus' was known a day or so out during testing).

alstein

Plinking is an engine exploit. I'm going to say that bnb's should not be 1 framers. Good execution should still be rewarded though.

It's rewarded in things like better reaction times.

Combos being hard is what directs new players to put the majority of their time towards combos, which makes them worse players.

Plinking exists because the combos were too hard, it SF4 had a BB-style input buffer, we might not even know about plinking today because it wouldn't have been needed.

DunpealD

Combos being hard is what directs new players to put the majority of their time towards combos, which makes them worse players.

Plinking exists because the combos were too hard, it SF4 had a BB-style input buffer, we might not even know about plinking today because it wouldn't have been needed.

Reaction and execution are two different things. Execution is doing succesfully an DP FADC Ultra or Yangs slash FADC into U1. Reaction is 3S buffering c.mk into Super.

Plinking also exists in SFxT and maybe UMvC3. So whether it's intentional or not, that's something only the devs know.

ShinMaruku

I get the feeling they made combos hard as a gating mechanism. One that largely failed.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I must be a complete idiot, but I bought USF4 on Steam and for the life of me I can't find the DLC costumes that are supposed to come with the game anywhere in game. Whenever I choose a character I only have the choice between the original costume and the 3 base alternate costumes.

What am I doing wrong?

sixghost

I must be a complete idiot, but I bought USF4 on Steam and for the life of me I can't find the DLC costumes that are supposed to come with the game anywhere in game. Whenever I choose a character I only have the choice between the original costume and the 3 base alternate costumes.

What am I doing wrong?

Those are the ones that came with the game. You only get the alt costumes from AE and Super.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Those are the ones that came with the game. You only get the alt costumes from AE and Super.

Really? I thought that costumes like Chun Li's SF Alpha costume were regular alts from SF4, and I was under the impression that buying USF4 would give you most DLC costumes from the previous versions.

Besides, when I go to the game's properties in Steam and look at the DLC tab, I have all these installed DLCs: Arcade Challengers Pack, Complete Brawler Pack, Challengers 1, Challengers 2, Classic, Femme Fatale, Shadaloo and Shoryuken packs. You sure there's nothing wrong with my game?

DunpealD

Really? I thought that costumes like Chun Li's SF Alpha costume were regular alts from SF4, and I was under the impression that buying USF4 would give you most DLC costumes from the previous versions.

Besides, when I go to the game's properties in Steam and look at the DLC tab, I have all these installed DLCs: Arcade Challengers Pack, Complete Brawler Pack, Challengers 1, Challengers 2, Classic, Femme Fatale, Shadaloo and Shoryuken packs. You sure there's nothing wrong with my game?

You sure it's not Alt 3 for Chun Li?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
You sure it's not Alt 3 for Chun Li?

Well yeah, Alpha costume is Alt 3 for Chun-Li. What I mean is that I thought these kinds of costumes were only ones of many goofy costumes that you get by default if you purchase USF4, i.e. you get all DLC that were released before USF4 for SF4, SSF4 and SSF4AE, and only the very latest packs (like the Vacation pack) must be bought. Isn't that the case? I thought I'd get at least 6 or 8 costumes per character honestly.

[EDIT] I'm probably just an idiot though. For some reason, having followed the game from afar and seeing all those costume packs I assumed each character had tons of different outfits by now. Looks like they get 4 (not counting the newest releases).

DunpealD

Well yeah, Alpha costume is Alt 3 for Chun-Li. What I mean is that I thought these kinds of costumes were only ones of many goofy costumes that you get by default if you purchase USF4, i.e. you get all DLC that were released before USF4 for SF4, SSF4 and SSF4AE, and only the very latest packs (like the Vacation pack) must be bought. Isn't that the case? I thought I'd get at least 6 or 8 costumes per character honestly.

No. That's actually it. Each pack like the femme fatale pack were for some females and not all characters.

EDIT: If you want to have a ton of costumes, you might want to play Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate/Final Round ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°). They are still releasing costumes!

alstein

I get the feeling they made combos hard as a gating mechanism. One that largely failed.

I got to ask Seth Killian about that once- and he said he believed that was the intent.

I did notice that two or three things I specifically suggested at the time made its way into Omega- unsure if that's coincidence or not. One of them was Honda's buttslam change.

Speaking of Omega, I finally ran into that Gen infinite- I think it's bad enough that it needs to be patched out- ruins what is a fun variant of the game. There's broken and then there's Ivan Ooze-level garbage.

Either that or Gen (or a limit on that infinite) needs to be banned in Omega tournies

ShinMaruku

I know in Omega somethings are most certainly a it easier to do but I don't know it's just I got better or it's so, but I did get a nice list of Omega moves and changes if people would like, I can link it.

I thought I had Omega Evil Ryu figured out until I saw this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfQk8No-lSw

Showed me that there were still a lot of things I didn't know about. The one that sticks out the most to me is that he can FADC his 2 bar EX axe kick. With a full Super bar and Ultra 1 he can do EX axe kick, FADC, Ultra for 557 damage. Since EX axe kick is a overhead, it makes landing that combo even easier since it's generally easier to catch people off guard blocking low.

Overall I think Omega Evil Ryu is very similar to his Ultra counter part. They pretty much just upped his damage mainly by changing some of his moves and giving it more juggle potential. And the links, they're just so easy I never want to stop playing the Omega version. I just love the fact that I never drop these links unless I screw up the special move now lol. It's so hard to go back to Ultra Evil Ryu when I have to leave all this damage and ease of execution behind. I know I said I was against it being this easy(and I still somewhat am) but it doesn't mean it doesn't make me feel good.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Requiring players to plink is not good game design.

Just read your conversation about plinking. Is this thing the reason why I, as a beginner, have a hard time doing even simple combo trials on my controller (Wii U Pro)? I'll have the hardest time completing trials like MP > MP > HP or whatever because the last punch won't register or will be, like, 1 frame too late and Dan blocks it.

Is that really it? Because if so I agree with kirblar. It's complete bullshit. At this point it's not me failing to execute a simple combo, it's the game being way too strict on inputs and reaction times. I don't intend to become a pro player, but I get the impression that the game doesn't want me to do anything decent unless I get an arcade stick and hundreds of hours of practice.

Was SF4 always like this?

"Was SF4 always like this?"

Yes. And while I don't know what character you're using MP > MP > HP, despite being 3 normal moves, isn't a simple (potentially not even useful) combo.

For all of the complaints about 1 frame links, I can't think of many characters that actually need them at the level of play most who complain about 1 frame links are playing at. There are generally other, less challenging combos with only a slight damage decrease.

For all of the complaints about 1 frame links, I can't think of many characters that actually need them at the level of play most who complain about 1 frame links are playing at. There are generally other, less challenging combos with only a slight damage decrease.

I think a lot of players use the trials as a measurement of what their execution needs be like, since they are the closest thing to a tutorial the game has.

A failure on Capcoms part for sure.

alstein

I think a lot of players use the trials as a measurement of what their execution needs be like, since they are the closest thing to a tutorial the game has.

A failure on Capcoms part for sure.

I know it's led to a ton of 2000 PP players who can hit links perfectly but can't do anything else right, and fall apart when they can't hit you.

Ran into one of those earlier today, where all I had to do was just wait and DP at a certain time. It's like playing an AI. (and then he goes on the mic and complains about it being boring)

The higher up on the totem pole that execution becomes a critical factor, usually the more interesting lower-level play is.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Yes. But you'll do much better by learning match-ups, reacting well, getting better strategies and learning why you lost a match than you will by spending forever trying to do low frame combos.

That's a relief I guess.

Yes. And while I don't know what character you're using MP > MP > HP, despite being 3 normal moves, isn't a simple (potentially not even useful) combo(.

Just an example I made up, but the ones I've seen in trials are equivalent. Just normal moves that for some reason I can't chain well.

Well, a friend of mine just told me why I was failing at Ibuki lvl 9 (LP > MK). Apparently the game doesn't deem it necessary to tell you that LP should be executed from a distance, and that close LP > MK can't work for some reason. I know it's technically a different punch (well, elbow), but I find it weird.

I'll keep that in mind. It's a shame the game doesn't have a proper tutorial.

"I'll keep that in mind. It's a shame the game doesn't have a proper tutorial."

That's for certain. As Stallion Dan said, the trials aren't a tutorial. They're not even meant to be a tutorial, but they're the closest thing in the game that resemble a tutorial which is why you might assume they are.

Tizoc

So assuming Capcom can fix any Omega Mode glitches and bugs, can we expect it to show up during EVO as a side tourney of sorts?

EDIT: I feel bad for anyone who has NEVER experienced SFEX series' Trial modes. Now those were good for learning stuff in the game.

"EDIT: I feel bad for anyone who has NEVER experienced SFEX series' Trial modes. Now those were good for learning stuff in the game."

Not...really? I played the SFEX games, the trial mode was exactly the same as SF4.

Tizoc

"EDIT: I feel bad for anyone who has NEVER experienced SFEX series' Trial modes. Now those were good for learning stuff in the game."

Not...really? I played the SFEX games, the trial mode was exactly the same as SF4.

I could do majority of the SFEX1 and EX2 character trials as opposed to SF4's. Once those links came up I was all 'NOPE'. SFEX may have had the universal Cr. MP>Cr. MK links for all the cast but somehow I could land them 4 times out of 5.
Heck they taught me how to do links long before I even knew what a link is.

...and no offense but how come you don't use the Forum's Quote function?

"I could do majority of the SFEX1 and EX2 character trials as opposed to SF4's. Once those links came up I was all 'NOPE'. SFEX may have had the universal Cr. MP>Cr. MK links for all the cast but somehow I could land them 4 times out of 5.
Heck they taught me how to do links long before I even knew what a link is."

But it's not like the trials mode itself actually imparted any knowledge to you, it's identical to SF4.

Tizoc

But it's not like the trials mode itself actually imparted any knowledge to you, it's identical to SF4.

Well the SFEX ones felt like they did to me. the SFEX games had a rather open combo system that welcomed combos and I recall coming up with a few combos from what I did with the Trials.

vg260

FYI, this was a post yesterday on the USFIV Steam forum from the Capcom rep:

Regarding 'netcode', I'll need to see what the devs are up to. They've been in touch and have been working with Valve engineers. Apparently it's not an easy problem to solve due to API design differences between GFWL and Steamworks. I'll let everyone know if I have any new info.

Kaleinc

Banned
Well, a friend of mine just told me why I was failing at Ibuki lvl 9 (LP > MK). Apparently the game doesn't deem it necessary to tell you that LP should be executed from a distance, and that close LP > MK can't work for some reason. I know it's technically a different punch (well, elbow), but I find it weird.
A common thing for close and far punches/kicks to have different animation and frame advantage.

Top Bottom