• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

cHaotix8

Is Ken's c.mk change a buff?

It's a nerf. The way it was in Ultra was really strong for a 4 frame, low hitting medium strength move. It was really hard to whiff punish and relatively low risk to throw out with a high reward. I can see why they changed it back when you consider his new walkspeed.

Grifter

It's a nerf. The way it was in Ultra was really strong for a 4 frame, low hitting medium strength move. It was really hard to whiff punish and relatively low risk to throw out with a high reward. I can see why they changed it back when you consider his new walkspeed.

They just changed the boxes and not frames, right? They'd already nerfed it from arcade Ultra and he seemed like a far from overwhelming character pre-patch. Seemed like they wanted his game to revolve around the move which was fun but arguable design.

cHaotix8

They just changed the boxes and not frames, right? They'd already nerfed it from arcade Ultra and he seemed like a far from overwhelming character pre-patch. Seemed like they wanted his game to revolve around the move which was fun but arguable design.

I believe they nerfed the hitbox and recovery. In the arcade version of ultra, his cr mk recovered so fast that he could fire off 3 of them when the opponent jumped and still have enough time to anti air, which is pretty dumb, lol.

mbpm1

They nerfed the recovery from the Arcade version, which we never really got a hold of, then the hitboxes for the Ultra version in 1.04.

If Ken had that recovery it would have indeed been silly.

Uzzy

Don't post here often, but according to Steam I just hit 100 hours playtime of Ultra. Obviously nothing compared to plenty around here, but it's still a nice little milestone for me. I've certainly felt myself getting better thanks to plenty of time training my Chun Li combos. In 2015, I'm hoping to at least double that time, if not treble it.

Who knows, after another 200 hours I might get some decent netcode on PC.

mbpm1

I realized I might like Ryu more than Ken now.

And here I thought he was supposed to be the boring guy and never tried him. When he gets in he stays in more than with Ken, at least my Ken lol. His buttons feel better than Kens close in and his fireball game is definitely better for how I like to play it. Focus doesn't kill him as bad as it does Ken neither.

Marz

I realized I might like Ryu more than Ken now.

And here I thought he was supposed to be the boring guy and never tried him. When he gets in he stays in more than with Ken, at least my Ken lol. His buttons feel better than Kens close in and his fireball game is definitely better for how I like to play it. Focus doesn't kill him as bad as it does Ken neither.

His low forward and SPS are some of the better tools in the game imo.

He feels a lot better with the new buffs.

Robot Pants

Since Fuerte got buffed like crazy and has virtually no recovery on his moves, there's been a huge influx of Fuerte players. And I need someone to practice with because...... 6 years into it and I still barely know how to fight the character.

Marz

Played an A rank Rose last night on PSN. Went like 7-13 with Sagat.

Matchup is very difficult and its not just due to her nullifying my zoning game. Her mid range just destroys mine, I try to use a lot of st.mk to beat out her buttons but it loses to drill. Slide is a pain to deal with, getting counter hit out of a lot of my shots. EX spiral blowing through shots on reaction. She's got a godlike jumping normal which I have to uppercut very low to the ground or it gets stuffed. Dash into throw or her st.mk mixup which is super fast and cheap. She always has super somehow so I'm losing the damage battle. Anytime I actually get a knockdown she backdashes clear across the screen(gonna have to get down the st.hp option select for this) so I get zero pressure. To top it off i actually win the neutral game in a lot of the matches but she pops Ultra 2 and I lose all momentum, get cornered, and lose the match.

Guy was good too he knew to stand block tiger knees and he seemed to always know which button to push or when I was going to uppercut.

I enjoyed our set but goddamn if it wasn't frustrating.

ShinMaruku

Since Fuerte got buffed like crazy and has virtually no recovery on his moves, there's been a huge influx of Fuerte players. And I need someone to practice with because...... 6 years into it and I still barely know how to fight the character.

I just picked Ibuki and then used her bullshit on his bullshit. It can get quite funny. I seriously hate El Fucko....

Honestly you just have to get stupid with him. Play as ridiculous as he plays. I throw any and all logic out the window.

One thing though.....for fuck sake please learn how to punish Quesadilla Bomb. I see WAY too many Fuerte's that get away with just spamming the hell out of that move. And so many people call for nerfs without ever bothering to learn how to punish the move. I'm not sure if every character has a punish, but I'm sure most do.

Fraeon

All of his Q-Bombs are -17 so just about everyone can punish them with something if not a huge combo. That's the biggest source of the Fuerte related complaints, anyway, though he really is a bitch to play against regardless.

ShinMaruku

Honestly you just have to get stupid with him. Play as ridiculous as he plays. I throw any and all logic out the window.

One thing though.....for fuck sake please learn how to punish Quesadilla Bomb. I see WAY too many Fuerte's that get away with just spamming the hell out of that move. And so many people call for nerfs without ever bothering to learn how to punish the move. I'm not sure if every character has a punish, but I'm sure most do.

I think that's how I beat the few I did with my Ibuki. I slapped him everytime he did it. But I( would need more time to see if I can.

But can you explain how you can punish it?

Fraeon

I'm pretty sure every blocked Q-Bomb can be neckbreakered on block. Then with Ibuki you can just go to town with her stupid oki options.

I think that's how I beat the few I did with my Ibuki. I slapped him everytime he did it. But I( would need more time to see if I can.

But can you explain how you can punish it?

Ibuki is one of the few characters I don't play, and I despise her very very very much, so I don't really know anything about her. I would think you could easily punish with her neckbreaker or command slide. I can check, but I'm not home at the moment.

ShinMaruku

I did punish a few with the neckbreaker. On one I burned so much bar on it. Thanks for those pointers. How much frames is that move?

mbpm1

Matchup is very difficult and its not just due to her nullifying my zoning game. Her mid range just destroys mine, I try to use a lot of st.mk to beat out her buttons but it loses to drill. Slide is a pain to deal with, getting counter hit out of a lot of my shots. EX spiral blowing through shots on reaction. She's got a godlike jumping normal which I have to uppercut very low to the ground or it gets stuffed. Dash into throw or her st.mk mixup which is super fast and cheap. She always has super somehow so I'm losing the damage battle. Anytime I actually get a knockdown she backdashes clear across the screen(gonna have to get down the st.hp option select for this) so I get zero pressure. To top it off i actually win the neutral game in a lot of the matches but she pops Ultra 2 and I lose all momentum, get cornered, and lose the match.

Guy was good too he knew to stand block tiger knees and he seemed to always know which button to push or when I was going to uppercut.

A bad matchup in AE that became awful in Ultra.

I feel your pain Marz, I get so frustrated fighting that fight with Evil Ryu as well. I'm tempted to counter pick with Seth who I use to mess around with a few years ago but I'm stubborn and want to keep trying to figure it out with Evil Ryu. Once I have her knocked down I definitely have some options, but getting in and having to deal with U2 every round is such a pain in the ass.

As for Fuerte, the push back makes it so anything outside of a Ultra means you can't punish him hard for it. I've said this before and I'll say it again, I don't mind the regular Q bombs staying the same, what I have a problem with is the EX version having the same push back. It has hit, throw, and fireball invincibility and although you have to charge it you move around freely unlike with charge characters for example. They should nerf that one to have less push back and make Elf players actually have to pay for using it instead of "LOL, sweep damage I'll do it again, or maybe EX run or legs this time which you won't predict".

Robot Pants

Whatever chest bump move Elf has also starts up way too fast and recovers too fast. It's just too good.

Oh haha that move is called Quesadilla Bomb.
You guys just informed me about it. Sorry I don't know the name of his moves.

I feel your pain Marz, I get so frustrated fighting that fight with Evil Ryu as well. I'm tempted to counter pick with Seth who I use to mess around with a few years ago but I'm stubborn and want to keep trying to figure it out with Evil Ryu. Once I have her knocked down I definitely have some options, but getting in and having to deal with U2 every round is such a pain in the ass.

As for Fuerte, the push back makes it so anything outside of a Ultra means you can't punish him hard for it. I've said this before and I'll say it again, I don't mind the regular Q bombs staying the same, what I have a problem with is the EX version having the same push back. It has hit, throw, and fireball invincibility and although you have to charge it you move around freely unlike with charge characters for example. They should nerf that one to have less push back and make Elf players actually have to pay for using it instead of "LOL, sweep damage I'll do it again, or maybe EX run or legs this time which you won't predict".

Actually E.Ryu is one of the characters that can get a full combo off of a blocked quesadilla bomb. In my opinion he has some of the best options against Fuerte....well at least for my style of play.

Should've countered with Adon

Marz

Well at least you can do some serious damage once you land a hit.

Whatever chest bump move Elf has also starts up way too fast and recovers too fast. It's just too good.

Oh haha that move is called Quesadilla Bomb.
You guys just informed me about it. Sorry I don't know the name of his moves.

Fuck qbomb
Should've countered with Adon

Does he win that MU? I always get bopped whenever I play him against Rose.

Actually E.Ryu is one of the characters that can get a full combo off of a blocked quesadilla bomb. In my opinion he has some of the best options against Fuerte....well at least for my style of play.

I know he can punish it really well, but you need 2 bars and LK axe kick has 17f start up. It's not an actual 1f punish but it's still a tight punish and requires meter which is hard to confirm since it's just 1 hit so if I do it late and FADC foward then I'm dashing into -5 on block. The punish with walk forward a bit and low forward is incredibly hard to time so the only reliable punish is U1 or kara U2 which players like me can't do so it's not a option.

You can't really react to Q bomb tho, that's not the design. It's easy enough to bait with a safe meaty though.

Problem is that Fuerte is in that Viper/Bison category and can't be locked down because no character has one option that covers all their options on wake up. If I predict EX Q bomb and meaty jab, maybe he does EX run to get out. If I throw to grab EX run maybe he does EX Q bomb to beat that or EX legs to escape because it recovers so fast. If I do nothing because I predict EX legs, he might just back dash. If I OS sweep looking for back dash, he might EX Q bomb or EX legs again which blows you up or gets him out of there. It's so annoying to deal with this character. You work hard to get him down and then have to roll the dice to keep up the pressure.

About Rose again, she's one of those characters in which I have a hard time no matter what skill level the Rose player is. I decided to look myself up on Youtube one day and found myself on some Rose players stream that he uploaded to Youtube. I just get angry watching it because it seems like she counters my character so well. Normals reaches further than mine, reaction slide to fireballs up close, reflect from far away, U2 completely changes the way the match is played momentarily. I'd love to put my Seth to the test again just annoy Rose players when they can't reflect fireballs from full screen anymore when I have U1.

Does he win that MU? I always get bopped whenever I play him against Rose.

Yes, 6-4 easily IMO.

The fact you didn't think of using Adon against Rose is.. breh

Her fireballs are super slow so you can easily react with a fullscreen ex tooth or U1.

air jaguar kicks are really good.

..not going into the rest cause you can learn for yaself b

This threads 1st post in 6 days and it's by none other than BV in a rare appearance. Did you watch Canada Cup Masters Series? Some duds, but some really amazing matches as well.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Sort of taking a break from fighting games/haven't had time to play or even download the latest balance patch yet, but how did the changes end up affecting Elena? Saw that Sako is dropping her, so is it bad?

Sort of taking a break from fighting games/haven't had time to play or even download the latest balance patch yet, but how did the changes end up affecting Elena? Saw that Sako is dropping her, so is it bad?

Personally I think she's a better character. Fixed some (not all) of her issues, including her hitbox.

Lynx tail now sucks in so that it hits all characters consistently, but it's also easier to punish. More of a positive IMO.
Lk. scratch wheel is now 3f. Better AA in that aspect because it's so fast. Can be stuffed though.

Here's a video of details.

Top Bottom