• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultra Street Fighter IV |OT| What is old is new once again

ShinMaruku

It looks pretty good on phone but still it is kinda terrible. I am working on not jumping as much but for Ibuki I found out if I can fish a fireball with somebody ranged just right she'd clip them and blow them up. Also it's kind of strange, I do a 4 day bootcamp then take a 2 day break and it just call comes together. Very bizarre.

Man, the upload to youtube function quality is terribad for the text on the screen.

It's because he's using low quality, and if you're on console you have almost no choice but to use low quality. The PS3 and 360 have ancient CPU's so they take forever to transcode these videos. The one HQ video I did upload on PS3 took something like 45 minutes. On Xbox I could never successfully upload one because it was even slower than PS3 and would eventually crap out at some point. I have a modern day PC(from 2011) and I could transcode these videos after it replayed once and upload it immediately.

Can't wait for the PS4 version, the youtube functionality on that one should be about as good as my PC I guess and their is the streaming feature as well so that could be fun to play around with.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Playing in the Japanese arcades is a pretty good experience. The playstyles are so different from US players. No one ever did wakeup DPs randomly, for example, and sometimes I was able to use that to my advantage.

Best I did was a 5 game winning streak but overall I got bodied more than I won. So many people were aware of how to shut down Dhalsim's bullshit and close distance.

ShinMaruku

Average skill level I find in Japan is probably much higher than US which is why you can't just judge top to see a region's strength. It's also why Asia in general does very well at the very top.

Playing in the Japanese arcades is a pretty good experience. The playstyles are so different from US players. No one ever did wakeup DPs randomly, for example, and sometimes I was able to use that to my advantage.

Best I did was a 5 game winning streak but overall I got bodied more than I won. So many people were aware of how to shut down Dhalsim's bullshit and close distance.

must've not faced momochi

xgre

Neo Member
So just found this thread now reading some of the posts. I'm planning on going back to Ultra but it might be pretty difficult for me since it's been months since I played. Any one here main guy?

So just found this thread now reading some of the posts. I'm planning on going back to Ultra but it might be pretty difficult for me since it's been months since I played. Any one here main guy?
I don't main him, but I've played him enough that I feel like I could give you advice on him, depending on what you're looking for.

psn being kinda shitty now.
It's weird playing a game like Sm4sh that has great netcode, coming from PSN SF4. But now I'm getting bored of sm4sh and want to jump back into USF4. So option is play a game I'm getting bored of that is smooth online, or rage at PSN USF4 when I drop links and get mashed out...

It's weird playing a game like Sm4sh that has great netcode, coming from PSN SF4. But now I'm getting bored of sm4sh and want to jump back into USF4. So option is play a game I'm getting bored of that is smooth online, or rage at PSN USF4 when I drop links and get mashed out...

ranked is bad for the lag ... and yolo players. yolo.

xgre

Neo Member

add me on wii u so whenever u play sm4sh
DryWater
But yea i don't like online on usf4 or at least in psn, nothing but 1 bars with extreme delay

i need some Ryu MP based comboes.

and makoto comboes.

and Cody.

everything i look for is fancy shit my fingers can't match! standing to crouch (and vice versa) comboes kill me, i need to practice! what character emphasizes those?

hitsugi

i need some Ryu MP based comboes.

and makoto comboes.

and Cody.

everything i look for is fancy shit my fingers can't match! standing to crouch comboes kill me, i need to practice! what character emphasizes those?

Ryu can go into anything off of crouching MP though.. depending on the distance, c.MP links into itself multiple times, and into any other crouching attack; most commonly c.HK or c.HP. You could even do c.MP, c.LK, s.LP, c.HK if you wanted.

I would recommend spending a bit of time learning how to do the c.MP -> c.HP / HK links with him

In trying to do rush down and a lot of pressure
I feel like you have to be able to comfortably run/stop frequently to be able to play Guy effectively. Not saying you can't without it, but it certainly helps me.

The first thing I like to do is figure out if the person I'm fighting can deal with his elbow (j. d+mp). If they can't, then abuse it.

Guy has a few fantastic normals that can create some vicious frame traps that will allow you to start and continue your rushdown. His cr.HP is one of my favorite normals in the game. It's extremely obnoxious because of how positive it is on block and the ridiculous range. I'm not exactly sure what the frame data is on it since I don't really give a shit about that kind of stuff, but if you are into frame data then I would definitely check it out.

His cr.LK is some fantastic bullshit as well. It's usually my go to after a blocked cr.HP. It starts up fast....I believe it's 3 frames and you can link into st.MP, which is another great normal. Overall cr.LK is just a great tool to harass people with and is a great normal to start and continue your pressure, especially after a blocked elbow drop.

St.MP is great because of the range and that you can cancel into specials. A lot of the time I will just throw it out there while buffering a run/slide. Easy knockdowns. It's also a great move to use after a cr.HP. You'll catch a lot of people pressing buttons. You can also go into his target combo (mp > hp) which is a little iffy at times since it can whiff on certain characters at specific moments. Since the target combo is can be cancelled into specials, you'll be able to create some nice pressure with run/stop shenanigans. It'll go something like target combo, run/stop, cr.LK x 3, target combo, run/stop, cr.LK, elbow drop, cr. LK x 2, target combo, run/stop, etc etc. I personally will throw a LP Hozanto out there after the target combo because most people will just block it and you can continue to get some decent pressure. I don't believe that move is positive on block though. But sometimes it's a nice change of pace.

That's all I can think of at the moment, plus I typed all this on my phone at work and I'm kinda over it for now. But i'll probably add some more later. Again, I'm no expert with Guy and there are definitely people here more qualified than me. Hell, some of what I told you could possibly be straight up bad information depending on your playstyle, but it works for me and I can certainly hold my own with him.
If you don't yolo with Yun you are doing it wrong..

If you don't yolo with everyone you are doing it wrong.

I will wakeup uppercut like 8 times in a row. I'll do 50/50 uppercuts/360's etc for almost an entire match. Fuck thought.

Do you stick with green bar matches? Like I said earlier, it's been good for me when I've done that. Granted I'm not playing that much, but from what I have played the experience has been good under those circumstances. Far better than my overall experience with PC since they moved to Steam.

add me on wii u so whenever u play sm4sh
DryWater
But yea i don't like online on usf4 or at least in psn, nothing but 1 bars with extreme delay
Yah for sure either SF4 or sm4sh, my nnid:direct_quote, psn_dominus_what. As long as you don't play Blanka.

Do you stick with green bar matches? Like I said earlier, it's been good for me when I've done that. Granted I'm not playing that much, but from what I have played the experience has been good under those circumstances. Far better than my overall experience with PC since they moved to Steam.
I will settle for yellow sometimes, but honestly I think it's because I get a lot of east/west coasters and I'm midwest. Last person I recall getting a great connection with was Vulva because he's from Canada. We should play sometime, but I'm sure my Yun would get rekt.

I will settle for yellow sometimes, but honestly I think it's because I get a lot of east/west coasters and I'm midwest. Last person I recall getting a great connection with was Vulva because he's from Canada. We should play sometime, but I'm sure my Yun would get rekt.

I'd love to try and play you again and see how our connection is. I remember us playing once or twice last year when Ultra came out. A bunch of us got on PSN and it was kind of funny because out of 7 of us, 5 either main'd or used Yun as a secondary(I think). I'm not sure how our connection was but I remember mine with Marz was ass.

I've been wanting to play more lately, I just want to avoid randoms in either Rank or Endless because I get too damn salty playing randoms in this game when things don't go well for me. I purposely avoid playing online for that reason alone a lot and my wife gets on my case when I do sneak back in because she sees how I can get.

xCobalt

I've been wanting to play more lately, I just want to avoid randoms in either Rank or Endless because I get too damn salty playing randoms in this game when things don't go well for me. I purposely avoid playing online for that reason alone a lot and my wife gets on my case when I do sneak back in because she sees how I can get.

I turned on my 360 for the first time since like November. Only messing around in training mode but I kinda want to start playing again. Once USF4 comes out for ps4, I'll definitely be playing more often.

mbpm1

I've stopped playing online bc the internet here has deteriorated so much. Every match is unplayable at some point.

It does let met reduce the salt, that much is for sure.

Top Bottom